Eden 11-12
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Rings

 

A few more weeks of the rainy season passed much in the same routine. Jones made plans to present a wooden ring to Tiffany as Eden's tradition went. It was meant to be a symbol of a humble union that would grow. The first ring would be worn on her right hand until it fell off due to wearing out. When they wed her left hand would hold her wedding ring meant to be a mixture of gold and silver. A clear symbol of a joined union of love.

Jones was surprised to learn that he could have another wife or husband by Eden's laws if his first wife or husband approved. Jones didn't think he could love another woman like Tiffany and he was sure Tiffany felt the same for him. He learned this fun fact when he purchased the rings from a man who had two wives. The women were twin sisters and the trio made an amusing team as they handle the family business of selling jewelry.

The light banter and playfulness put their customers at ease and Jones had to watch his bank account when they started discussing prices. In the end, he settled for a plain wooden ring that cost almost nothing. Unlike the gold and silver rings that he got. The metal rings were laser etched with a pair of Leather-Wings on it.

 

The next workday his people and Tee-Kay's team got orders to escort the Aranui 5 to the docks from the air. The ship's last trip was bringing the last group of people to Eden. They wanted to give the new arrivals a first-hand glimpse at the Leather-Wings as they sailed in. The time for it appear passed and they flew overhead for an hour past the time.

Just when Jones was going to suggest they fly back home. The air below them rippled. The portal opened and Jones saw the Aranui 5 coming through and the ship wasn't alone.

Along one side of the vessel, he saw a smaller boat with armed men in it. The words Coast guard painted in bold letters could be seen. Both ships were moving slower then normal.

Edward Knight was in the front of the ship working the controls for The Key. Brutus was shooting back to keep the attackers down then taking cover just beyond the railing. From his shooting, it was clear to Jones he wasn't aiming to kill.

 

“Mayday, Mayday. OverWatch. We are under attack. ” A voice said over the general comm channel. This voice sounded like the captain of the Aranui 5.

 

“This is Commander Giles of OverWatch Command. Leather-Wing Riders, you are free to engage. Shoot to wound only, I repeat shoot to wound only. Tee-Kay's team is to lay down covering fire. Jones team, you are on rescue and extra fire support if needed. ” A commanding voice said over the comm channel a few seconds later.

 

Jones led the charge downward and saw the shock looks on some of the faces. The shooters in the smaller boat had never seen Leather-Wings before.

“Roger that. I'm taking out the small boat's motor first. ” Tee-Kay said and a few seconds later Jones heard the crack of her rifle and saw a small fireball lift up into the sky. It was one hell of a shot in Jones's own personal opinion.

 

Brutus went down a moment later taking several shots in the chest. Edward Knight looked up and saw this then looked back through the portal between Earth and Eden.

 

The back part of the ship hadn't cleared the portal just yet but like Edward. Jones saw two more ships not far away. A military-looking ship and a coast guard ship weren't far behind. If he didn't close the portal soon one of those ships or part of it might pass through the portal by mistake.

 

Edward Knight lifted a protective case on a big red button then slammed his hand down on it. Jones saw Edward Knight spin sideways as a shot hit him in the shoulder then the bullet coming out his back. He fell like a puppet whose strings were cut.

 

The portal seemed to convulse and snapped shut taking part of the Aranui 5 with it. Jones watched as the pool on the stern part of the ship drained into the ocean and the ship seemed to jump in the water. The ship appeared to be sliced cleanly through.

 

“All Riders, The Aranui 5 is dead in the water. Tee-Kay, convince our new friends it would be in their best interests to give up. Turn their boat into Swiss cheese and do your best not to kill or wound anyone. Let them tread water instead. ” Jones said next and knew he was overstepping his rank a little.

 

Tee-Kay was the more senior rider, but if Jones understood the policies he could take charge if he had more past combat experience. Jones silently prayed she wouldn't make it an issue over the shared comm channel.

 

“Roger that. I count only six guys in the boat and they are looking pretty confused on where their ships went. Let's take advantage of this. My team on me and follow my lead. I will punch a few holes in their nice boat and we will scoop them out of the water. ” Tee-Kay said and Jones could almost hear the angry tone in her voice.

 

Jones saw only the crew in sight and guessed the guests were below hiding in their rooms. Jones managed to land on the front of the ship close to Mr. Knight. The rest of his team landed near wounded crewmembers to patch them up. This would help reduce the ship crew's recovery time down.

 

Later, Jones would learn that three crew members were dead from headshots.

Brutus was back on his feet barely holding his own as he used his jacket to bind up Edward Knight. The big guy shredded his own jacket into long strips using his bare hands.

Jones saw The Key machine was smoking and there were even burn marks on it.

Edward Knight was awake and talking. Jones walked up to within earshot to hear him.

 

“Don't kill them. The crew in the other boat. They were only doing their job. ” Edward Knight said and looking over toward the side of the ship where the smaller boat was.

 

Distant pops told Jones that Tee-Kay was making sure the other vessel wouldn't be seaworthy much longer.

 

“I gave orders to sink the other vessel. We are going to rescue the men once they have no choice to drop their weapons and tread water. ” Jones said to Edward Knight bending a knee to speak to him.

 

Behind him, Jones could hear his team securing the Aranui 5. Jones saw a small fleet of ships were coming their way and pretty soon they have the boat's tow lines hooked up. For now, the large portal had scared sea creatures away, but once enough time had passed they always came back. Jones was concern some giant sea monster might still be in the area.

Brutus started on his own wounds and Jones could tell he been hit with smaller rounds. Jones lent a hand seeing Brutus was having trouble due to his big frame. Then Edward Knight spoke to Jones.

 

“Good man, We got people trained for this. I need you personally to make sure my daughter doesn't do anything rash. Make sure the prisoners are safe. ” Edward Knight said his voice weak, but steady. Judging from his wound he be laid up for a few days until his body's advance healing repaired all damage.

 

“I take that as an order, sir. ” Jones said and went back to Nightmare.

 

Jones found Tee-Kay's team on the beach a short distance from the docks.

 

The prisoners were stripped of most of their gear and even their combat boots were taken. Jones saw the shock expressions on their faces as they looked from the Leather-Wings forming a second ring of guards then up at the towers that stuck out of the mountain. No matter how well trained a person is. Coming face to face with monstrous size bat-like creatures would shock just about anyone.

 

Jones landed near Tee-Kay where she held her sniper rifle at a low ready position and could bring it up in a flash.

 

Jones removed his flight helmet and told Nightmare the stay command.

 

“Your father and uncle are fine. Shot up, but a couple of days rest and it will be like nothing happen. ” Jones said quietly to Tee-Kay and made sure he left his helmet next to Nightmare.

Tee-Kay nodded and seemed to breathe a bit easier at the news.

 

“Milo Jones! ” A male voice called out and Jones turned his attention to the prisoners.

Two of the men stood up slowly and Jones saw weapons being raised.

 

Jones walked forward and used his hand in the lower your firearms gesture as he walked to the men. The riders did so and Jones went to the two men he knew. Chris Hans and Mark Kain were part of his original team back on Earth. The other men he didn't know and guessed one guy had been in charge of the small boat judging from his coast guard outfit.

“Shit, Brother. I thought you and Smitty were dead. No one has heard from you since that Knight guy recruited you. And what in the Hell are those winged bastards? ” Chris Hans said pointing to the Leather-Wings.

 

“Where to begin. Look, I don't know what you were told. I need you guys to stay calm. Those winged bastards are called Leather-Wings. They are a native creature here on Eden. ” Jones said stepping close to the men he knew.

 

“Where the fuck is Eden? Which island is this? ” Captain Mark Kain asked looking around in disbelief. Jones saw the man had been promoted since he left the team.

 

“Eden is a different world. Not like in the sense of an alien planet, but a different version of Earth. ” Jones said loud enough so the other captured men heard him.

“Bullshit. ” Chris Hans said next, but from his tone. Jones knew better.

 

“Ever see one of those on Earth? My Leather-Wing is called Nightmare. ” Jones said and gave the come here command.

 

Jones watched as Hans and Kain backed up a few steps as Nightmare came up to Jones.

 

“Nightmare, Friends. ” Jones said and pointed to the two men in front of him.

Nightmare gave a huff and growled a little at them.

 

“Stop that. Go back to the others. ” Jones said giving more hand gestures and was pleased to see Nightmare obey him.

 

“Nightmare was just playing. If she really didn't like you. She would have bared her teeth. I need your word that your team can keep their shit together. You have my personal promise you all will be treated fairly. ” Jones said to Captain Mark Kain.

 

“Yeah, but I need your promise that you will do right by my men. Any blame is on me alone. ” Kain said next and Jones told them he would.

 

A small squad of OverWatch guards came toward them with pistols at the low ready and handcuffs in their free hands.

 

Jones turned to the man in charge and told him that Edward Knight gave orders he was to escort these men for their safety.

 

Jones thought the man would say something, but Tee-Kay came up to stand next to Jones in silent support with her helmet off. No doubt having the daughter of the great Edward Knight at your side would put down any protest.

 

“Very well, but my men will act as your honor guard. They killed three citizens of Eden on the Aranui 5. ” the leader of the squad said next seeing it was best not to argue with Jones.

Jones turned to Nightmare and gave the command for her to return to the North Tower bay. The clever Leather-Wing she was, he watched as she took up his helmet in her mouth and flew away.

 

Jones watched as the prisoners were handcuffed and escorted to the waiting train. Jones and the guards took the first car as their own. Arrangements were made and the first passenger train car was unhooked from the rest of the train. As they moved into the mountain tunnel Jones heard a computer voice.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the world of Eden. I'm Alexi. We will be entering Alpha city, shortly. Most of you must be wondering where you are. To understand this; you must first understand parallel universes including parallel Earths. ” Alexi said and Jones looked up to see the monitors in the first car were going through their normal introduction to Eden.

There were getting to the part about the wall when the train slowed and stopped. Jones looked out to see they were still in the tunnel. The video on the overhead monitors had paused.

 

“Prisoners, rise. ” One OverWatch guard yelled and Jones made sure to follow beside them.

They walked off the train then down a well-lit cave passage through a few steel doors. When they came to a set of elevators they paused the prisoners in their forced walk.

Jones wasn't allowed into the detaining area when they stepped off the elevator.

“We got it from here, Jones. As long as these guys behave themselves I don't expect we have any trouble from them. ” The leader of the squad said and Jones nodded seeing some of the men being process to be inmates.

 

Jones overheard them only give out their name and rank when question. Jones stayed there until the last man was out of sight. Jones was surprised to see the train waiting for him.

He rode the train back to the docking area where a bit of chaos was going on. Everyone aboard the Aranui 5 appeared to be on the dock and trying to get into the processing area first.

 

Thankfully the extra security force sent out kept things calm enough for everyone to work.

The sea ship Aranui 5 was fully docked and extra chains were being used to secure the sea vessel. Part of the ship leaned back and Jones guessed some type of flood doors inside the ship sealed the water out from the rest of the ship.

 

On the far side of the dock where all the Leather-Wings and Riders. Tee-Kay came forward and gave him a quick report

 

“Sir, we have searched the water and no one else is out there. Lucky for us everyone was toward the front of the ship below deck when the shooting started. Everyone has been accounted for. ” Tee-Kay said.

 

“Wounded? ” Jones asked.

 

“Being looked after. The worst will be moving around in a few days. ” Tee-Kay said and Jones nodded.

 

Then Tee-Kay put her hand up to the side of her helmet to signal she was listening to someone speaking to her.

 

“Madam Grace is ordering us back home. All normal operations are suspended for the rest of the week. The Leather-Wings being so close are making our new guests a bit uneasy. I assume you will be riding back with me, sir. ” Tee-Kay said knowing Jones knew that her professional manner was due to being on duty.

 

“Yes. ” Jones said and was thankful for the two-seater on her Leather-Wing.

 

When they came in for the landing. Jones saw Nightmare was next to Madam Grace. The woman gently petting the Leather-Wing while she held his flight helmet in her free hand.

The riders gathered before her in a loose line and Jones stood next to Tee-Kay.

 

“Well, I just don't know what to say. Great or even fantastic seems to fall short. I expected no less, but today all of you went beyond what was to be expected. All riders will be given a paid vacation for the next few days while this whole mess is being sorted out. Captains in my office. The rest of you are dismissed. ” Madam Grace said and handed Jones his flight helmet.

 

They followed her into the office. Jones and Tee-Kay sat in the pair of chairs where many children or teenagers must have sat squirming with unease.

 

Madam Grace surprised him by pulling out a bottle of booze and a set of glasses. She poured a bit in each glass and slide them within reach.

 

“Well, here's to one big cluster fuck. ” Madam Grace said and down her glass in one gulp. It was Tee-Kay who spoke up.

 

“Grace. I know that we are cut off from Earth now, but we have planned for this. We have more then enough people here and the council has talked about this very thing. ” Tee-Kay said taking her own glass and Jones slowly took his.

 

“Your right, Tee-Kay. Plans have been made and its been a long time coming. Jones, you will be joining in on discussions with command. They will want to question you and be there when the meetings are announced. For now, I will want reports from both of you by tomorrow morning and I also want copies of your helmet videos. You two are dismissed. ” Madam Grace said. Jones took this moment to down the contents of his glass and excuse himself.

 

In the hallway just outside the bay, he waited for Tee-Kay while she said something to Madam Grace then joined him.

 

“I will see you, later tonight. I should be the one to tell my mother some of the details. No telling how much she could see from our balcony. ” Tiffany said and gave him a kiss before she hurried off still wearing her flight gear.

 

Jones went back to his apartment mentally processing everything then wrote up a report using his tablet. He uploaded it along with his video file.

 

Hours seemed to pass like minutes and Jones heard his door chime. Seeing it was Tiffany he let her in.

 

“Dad is laid up in bed and getting some gentle treatment from mom. He had to order Uncle B back to his own apartment to rest up. Did you get your report done? ” Tiffany asked him.

 

“Yeah. ” Jones said and Tiffany grinned.

 

“Me too. ” Tiffany said and started stripping her clothes off. Jones smiled and did the same.

 

They made love on and off for the next few hours hardly speaking. Tiffany excused herself somewhere around midnight and Jones went to bed soon after.

 

Chapter 12: Family Dinner

 

By morning the whole story was being told over the Eden news network. Jones was requested via video message by Edward Knight to see him around noon.

 

Jones got there a few minutes before noon and pass by a bare chest seated Brutus who had clean wrappings over most of his chest. He was sitting just outside the door to the master bedroom.

 

Julie his sister was fussing over him and checking his wrappings.

“Go on in. ” Julie said and Jones nodded.

 

Edward Knight was sitting up in bed with a few tablets around him. A doctor was packing up his gear then left the room. Judging from the wound Jones could tell the bullet nearly took the man's arm off at the shoulder. If the sniper had been lucky with the shot Edward Knight's head would have been gone.

 

“The sniper was set up on the larger coast guard vessel or maybe even further back on the military ship. I got lucky it wasn't a headshot. ” Edward Knight said as the doctor left the room.

 

“It's my understanding, you know two of the men we have taken prisoner. ” Edward Knight said stating fact.

 

“Yeah, part of my old unit back on Earth. ” Jones said and knew Knight had to know this already.

 

“Mark Kain was my second choice if you had turned me down. I only recruited Smitty for two reasons. One of them was to get you, Jones. ” Knight said next.

 

“What was the second? ” Jones asked feeling like he was being set up.

 

“To get Kain of course and Smitty was my third choice if all else failed. I can be a bastard when it comes to deals, but it has worked out pretty good. You are aware that Chris Hans has a family back on Earth? ” Edward Knight asked.

 

“Yes, He has got a wife, a little boy, and a baby girl. ” Jones answered.

 

“The Key device is gone and due to the uniqueness of its original design. We can't remake another one exactly like it. Even if we did, there is no telling where the portal might lead us. If you like, I can get someone to inform our new guests that they have no way back home or leave it up to you to tell them. There will also be a council meeting on Friday. I want you and Mister Kain to come. ” Edward Knight said and looked to Jones for an answer.

 

“I will tell them. Also, I will need full access to the detention level. ” Jones said next.

“Arrangements have been made. Anyone gives you any lip. Have them talk to me, directly.

 

I'm pleading mercy on their behalf, but the council will have the final word. They are almost treating this as an act of war. ” Edward Knight said and went back to work using only one hand.

 

Jones left the master bedroom and went down to the detention level. Once his ID was confirmed he was shown through some security doors. A few body scans and he was granted access to the inmate area. The guards on duty looked almost bored.

 

Jones saw his former unit members were being held in a large room deep within the mountain itself. The walls were metal and the cell doors stood open off to the sides. A common room held only two large tables with monitors on the walls displaying the latest news or weather on Eden.

 

Half of the group were gathered at the one wall touch screen monitor requesting information on Eden. Jones was sure the information would have limited access.

Mark Kain got up from his seat and greeted Jones like a brother.

 

“They treating you okay? ” Jones asked in a low voice.

 

“You think we were in a five-star hotel with the treatment we been getting. The food has been great and we all got medical treatment almost right away. They have removed any guards who had shown any signs of holding a grudge against us. ” Kain answered in a normal tone.

 

“I have talked to Edward Knight. Believe it or not, he is pleading for mercy on your behalf. The final decision will come when the council meets. It will be on Friday and you have been invited to come with me. I guess to speak up in your defense. Tell me what happen. ” Jones asked.

 

“I thought, Edward Knight was the only guy in charge. We got orders from the higher-ups to bring him in for questioning. Edward Knight had been recruiting a lot of people and buying up a lot of weapons. Most thought, he was building a private army to invade some small country no one would care about. Others thought he might have other reasons. He disappeared for months on end with no word or sighting. Someone high up didn't like this and got his own company to charge him with stealing company assets. Our orders were to capture him and his ship's crew for questioning. The rest you know. ” Kain explained.

 

“I'm guessing they didn't stop the ship and you fired first? ” Jones asked next.

 

“Yeah and I think it was our new sniper who fired the first shot. Some guy they brought in. Never got his name. I should have suspected something was up then, but orders are orders. ” Kain explained.

 

“Sounds like they wanted to kill him. Knight strikes me as the kind of guy who has people by the short hairs. I'm pretty sure some people wanted him dead. ” Jones commented and Kain thought about it then nodded.

 

“Something didn't smell right. I should have refused this mission. ” Kain said next.

 

“I also got some bad news. That portal you came through. It was controlled by a device called The Key. It was destroyed during the fight. The doorway between Earth and Eden is closed now. All of us are stuck here on the Eden side. I thought you should know first. ” Jones said in a low tone that didn't carry very far.

 

“I will tell my men, later. I will wait for you to leave first in case they feel like lashing out. ” Kain said once the full weight of the words hit him.

 

“You mention medical treatment. They inject you with some stuff that cured any sickness? ” Jones asked.

 

“Yeah, two of the guys got sick a few hours after we got here. A real wonder vaccine whatever that was. I have never felt better. ” Kain said and watched as Jones pulled out a small hideaway knife that was part of his belt buckle that the guards missed.

 

“Give me your hand. I'm going to give you a small cut to show you something. ” Jones said and Kain slowly held out his hand on the table.

 

Jones ran the point of the knife making a long thin cut.

 

Kain watched and his eyes went wide when the cut healed up almost at once.

 

“The injection you got. Gives your body a bit of a super healing power. It also regrew my hand. ” Jones said showing him the hand he lost.

 

“Damn, I thought you got an illegal clone replacement. ” Kain said looking at the arm noticing now there were no surgical scars.

 

“I will see if Smitty can come by for a visit. He is getting married soon. ” Jones said standing up and shook hands with Kain before leaving.

 

Jones left and made contact with Smitty the moment he returned to his apartment. When Friday came Jones got a message about the time and where to meet.

 

Kain was released to him and Jones was granted guest access to the Command area of the OverWatch Tower. Kain had been given new clothes to wear and even his boots were returned to him. Jones found himself in a room a lot like a conference meeting room.

Tablets were on the table with names displayed on them.

 

Edward Knight and two other people sat at the table already and Brutus stood just behind Mr. Knight's chair.

 

“Our guests have arrived. Let's get started. “Edward Knight said and tapped a button.

Where the missing people would have sat two holograms of people sitting appeared.

 

“Our guests Milo Jones and a mister Mark Kain. Mister Kain is speaking on behalf of his men and Jones was a former unit member from the same team.” Edward Knight said.

 

“Coming to us through speakers and via video hologram is Miyu Hui and Kate Wang of Paradise Island. ” Edward said in ways of introduction. Jones nodded at the Japanese man and the Native American looking woman. Jones would bet she was born and raised on Eden.

 

“Lily Junwoo on my left and seated to my right is Paul Yumi. ” Edward said and Jones saw two average looking people that could have come from America or even Europe.

 

“You all have seen the reports and statements given by Kain's people. I, myself was shot in the shoulder and nearly lost my right arm. Brutus, my bodyguard who was laying down covering fire took several rounds to his own chest. Neither of us wish to see Kain nor his people come to any harm. This was not an act of war from the American government. Their orders were to capture me for possible crimes on Earth. It might even be possible they had learned about The Key device and wanted it. We have discussed at length what needed to be done if The Key might fall into the wrong hands. ” Edward Knight said getting right to the point.

 

“We do have three dead sailors to consider. They were citizens of Eden after all. These soldiers killed unarmed men. ” Paul Yumi said. Then it was the dark skin woman, Lily Junwoo spoke next.

 

“I do believe the medical report clearly states the bullets recovered from the head of each body showed it was a sniper's bullet that did the deed. None of the men capture had a sniper rifle on them at the time. We have multiple videos showing this. ” Lily Junwoo said and

 

Jones heard her soft Southern American accent clearly. Kate Wang chimed in with something she noticed.

 

“I do find it interesting that each sailor looks a bit like you, mister Knight. Perhaps others had orders to kill on sight then capturing you alive. ” Kate Wang said in a calm logical voice. The woman had a stern look about her. Jones could almost pictured the woman as a Vulcan from that old sci-fi show.

 

Edward Knight tapped his tablet a few times and three pictures appeared. Each of the men did look a little like him and from a distance even Jones might have trouble recognizing him.

 

“If I may speak? ” Kain said and all of the attention turned to him.

 

“We encourage you, Captain Mark Kain. ” Edward Knight said bringing up details about Mark Kain for all to see. There were files detailing his valor and courage while in combat. Some of the missions were strictly black operations. Jones was a bit shock to see that there were details.

 

“Most of the men, I can speak for as good people. The sniper was a last-minute addition to my team. I wasn't even given the man's name. I'm sure he fired the first shot. As far as I know, he was giving us cover fire so we could get aboard the ship. Our main mission was to take the bridge then secure it. Secondary was to capture Edward Knight for crimes back on Earth. I will take full responsibility for the actions of my team. Including the unknown sniper. ” Mark Kain declared.

 

“Mister Kain, You strike me as an honorable man. Are you willing to die for your men if we require it? ” Miyu Hui asked.

 

“I'm, if that what it takes for my men to be free from any wrongdoing. They were only following my orders. All the blame is on me. ” Kain answered.

 

“You are fortunate that we don't use the death penalty that often. Eden is dangerous enough without us killing one another. ” Miyu Hui said next.

 

“There will have to be a punishment. ” Paul Yumi spoke up.

 

“I'm sure, Mark Kain is more then willing to bare it. ” Jones said speaking up for his friend.

 

“Gentlemen and Ladies. It's clear to me and should be to all that the real murderer is back on Earth. I move to vote now that we hand this case over to the justice department here in Alpha City. Clearly, this is a matter for our local justice system, since it happened just off the coast of Alpha City. I can assure you that we are not at war with America. They were after me as far as we know. I will make arrangements to see the families will be well funded for the loss of their loved ones and since it was my vessel that was damaged the cost will be mine. I had plans to use it as a ferry ship from here to Utopia. ” Edward Knight said and tapped his tablet to an option screen to cast his vote.

 

“I also agree to move to a vote. ” Lily Junwoo said and moved her tablet screen to the same option.

 

“Vote. ” Miyu Hui said simply.

 

After that, there was a moment whenever one cast their vote. It was four to one and Edward Knight glanced at Paul but said nothing. It was clear to Jones at least who was the one.

 

“Mark Kain, Your case will be given to our justice department and a full review will be made. I suspect, it will be a few weeks before your case will be done. ” Edward Knight and motion they were free to leave.

 

Jones was given light duty for the next few weeks and spoke up for the other men during the series of trials. It went better then he hoped for. Mark was given a few months at Beta Site and the others were on a probation period, but free to travel about on Eden to anywhere they liked.

 

In the end, it was the fact most of what had occurred happen back on Earth. That won over the case for the judge to show mercy.

 

“We will stay in touch. Or you can contact Smitty when I'm busy. ” Jones said to his friend just before he handed him over to the prison guards at Beta Site. He wasn't sure who arranged it, but his team got picked to escort the prisoner to Beta Site.

 

Last he heard the other men moved to Paradise Island and decided to get a shared farm on the outskirts. As new Eden citizens, they were granted a bit of credits and offered jobs. On the off chance, someone might figure out who they were. The men decided to move far away from Alpha City and go to a more remote location.

 

Jones couldn't blame the others for leaving. He looked forward to the day he would see his friend again freed from prison.

 

Smitty and Victoria held their wedding soon after the trials and Jones made sure to upload a video to his friend Mark Kain. Jones was the best man and managed to throw a pretty good bachelor party at Samual's bar.

 

While his friends were enjoying a honeymoon. Jones used some of his days off from work to look after Sasha. They spent most of their time with Crystal at Madam's Grace's apartment. Jones learned that she lived right next door to the Leather-Wing Bay.

Something which shouldn't have surprised him.

 

“You know, I'm just one floor below. ” Jones said as the adults sat in comfortable chairs on the half-moon balcony enjoying the drinks while the girls played inside.

 

“Oh, I know. Any complaints about Leather-Wings comes to me directly. Nightmare sniffed you out. A good thing in my opinion that she knew where to find you. You're a good man, Milo Jones. Pretty soon, your job will change. They want us to fly into the deep jungle. I hate to send my riders off to dangerous jobs, but its the lifestyle we wanted. ” Madam Grace said and seemed lost in old memories.

 

“What kind of jobs can I expect? ” Jones asked ever the professional when it came to working.

“Explore, record, and my personal favorite. Give all wild Leather-Wing you see the regeneration treatment. We are not the only ones being sent into danger. Any pilot willing will be paid a handsome sum will fly North over the mountains. We have heard rumors of people living up there for a few years now. Stories of dire like wolves and giant bears. Anyone crazy enough to accept the job will get a free ship overhaul so they can fly in the colder weather. Even the sailing vessels will travel further along the coast to chart new islands. ” Madam Grace said her eyes looking at the jungle trying to see the dangers ahead.

“I'm guessing it won't be a one-day thing? ” Jones asked realizing he couldn't fly very far if he was expected to be back for lunch and the end of his shift.

 

“Four days max. If you can't make it back here then fly to Beta Site. Paradise Island will start their own exploring from the other end so hopefully, in a few months we will know a lot more then we did before about the mainland. ” Madam Grace said and looked at Jones sizing him up then nodded to herself before speaking again.

 

“I know you and Tee-Kay are up to the task. I mostly worry about the other teams. Dallas is reckless at times and some of the others play it too safe. I do worry their hesitation could cost lives. ” Madam Grace said and getting up to lean slightly over the rail. Her attention focused on the faraway jungle.

 

“Look at us, talking about work on our day off. ” Jones said realizing Madam Grace was more then just his boss. He could count her as a friend. Jones found himself lost in thought until Madam Grace asked him something.

 

“So, have you asked Tee-Kay yet? ” Madam Grace said and there was a knowing look in her eye.

 

“Ask her what? ” Jones responded.

 

“Her hand in marriage. I thought I saw you fingering a wooden ring earlier. ” Madam Grace said and Jones blushed a bit. He been carrying the wooden ring around pulling it out when he was sure no one was looking. Madam Grace had sharp eyes and no doubt her ears picked up on nearly every rumor.

 

“I think, I have a restaurant in mind. With the rainy season over with it will be perfect this time of the year. I have a friend there and he will get you two a good table. ” Madam Grace said putting her hand on his shoulder with a gentle pat.

 

Jones smiled and thanked her. Jones got the strangest sense that Grace made a great grandmother. If one's grandmother was strict, hard-working with a touch of kindness.

On his next weekend off he took Tiffany to The Hanging Gardens restaurant. It was a two-story building with gardens mostly on the second floor. The whole building was almost like a temple-like design. On display was a wide array of flowers along with ripe fruits.

 

Tables were arranged so private conversations could be held and enjoy the view from nearly all sides.

 

Jones had to admit the food was good and the setting was perfect when they arrived during the evening hours. Sure the candles were faked by the use of LEDs, but it set the mood. Jones made his move after they ate the main course.

 

Jones knelt and watched as Tiffany's eyes went wide. Jones felt foolish offering up the wooden ring, but Tiffany screamed with joy and took it right away.

 

Those sitting nearby started clapping once it became clear what had just happened. Jones felt a bit embarrassed but took it in stride.

 

Jones waved to the clapping crowd and retook his seat. Soon after they were given a free slice of apple pie each by the owner who came over to congratulate them personally.

The rest of the weekend was spent in bliss as they stayed indoors at Jones's place. For once Jones arrived barely on time for work and Tiffany was right behind him.

 

Jones changed his mindset because today was the first day they leave for the new tasks. Janet Ace had gotten her own team and his new team member was Amy. He was pleased to see that Crystal had prepared everything and Nightmare was packed down for a few days away.

 

A new rifle was in a sling within easy reach of the rider. Jones inspected it and saw it was a dart type rifle with assisted aiming. It was no surprise when Jones reviewed the goals of the week to see his team's job was to give a tailored regeneration gene treatment to all wild Leather-Wings. Breeding males and females preferred.

 

A map came up showing possible locations where Leather Wings were known to be. Details included different species and how far each colony was on the map.

Jones double checked everything and was pleased to see his team doing the same. Only the Kid looked nervous and Jones felt nearly the same way.

 

Pretty soon it was go time and Jones led his team out. Jones picked a nesting area close to the mountain range first. It took an hour of hard flying before they arrived in the general area. They spent some time circling and scanning the area for signs of wild Leather-Wings.

It was well over thirty minutes before a flock of Fang-Parrots took to the air they spotted their first wild Leather-Wings. The Leather-Wings chasing the Fang-Parrots for a quick meal. These Leather-Wings were mostly gray and with a touch of white fur. There was a theory these Leather-Wings had mated with other Leather-Wings even further North. Jones found that hard to believe at first, but he wouldn't have doubted what the world of Eden might have in store for them.

 

Jones led his team to the outer area where the Leather-Wings had emerged from.

They soon found the man-size holes in the trees hollowed by teeth and claws.

 

“Steady everyone. ” Jones ordered over the comm channels as the wild Leather-Wings gave out a vocal challenge to their own Leather-Wings. After a series of growls and almost otherworldly vocal sounds. Things did settle down before too long.

 

“Okay, spread out to other trees and call your targets. Full scans of the unique wing patterns before you take the shot. We will link the images to each other. This will allow us to mark which ones we have done already. ” Jones ordered and watched as his team did just as he ordered.

 

Jones made sure he stayed far enough back so as not to piss off any wild Leather-Wing.

After a while it almost became routine, but Jones kept himself alert for trouble. He also took the time to monitor the others and check their camera feeds. As long as they stayed close to each other the helmets created their own small network.

 

Jones looked down and saw Earth fruit trees grew wild here. Jones figured the Fang-Parrots ate the fruit from Earth and the genetically modified seeds were carried out here inside the Fang-Parrot's bodies.

 

Then Mike Colate also known as Kid made a shot a bit too close to a wild female Leather-Wing.

 

The pregnant female Leather-Wing attacked with hardly any warning. Mike's own Leather-Wing put up a good fight, but the larger female quickly won mostly due to the fact she didn't have a rider on her back.

 

Mike barely managed to get his Leather-Wing Nefarious upright just before they hit the ground. The whole thing happening so fast Jones barely had time to start in his direction then it was over.

 

“Hey Kid. You okay? ” Jones asked over the comm channel.

 

“Fine. ” Mike said in a shaky voice and over heavy breathing.

 

“Okay team. That's enough for the day. I dare say we have used up our good luck for the day. I saw cliffs on the mountain range we can use as a camp area. ” Jones said and almost as one they lifted into the air and flew North.

 

It wasn't long until the trees thinned out and rocky cliffs were ahead.

 

Jones saw a good spot high enough where no creature he knew of could get to them.

They landed and went to work right away setting up a camp area. Everyone picked a spot they liked against the mountain's side. Their Leather-Wings curling up once the two-seater saddles were off.

 

Jones broke out a small folding stove and soon after they were each heating up a meal. Short stubby little trees that grew nearby made good firewood for the little stove.

 

Most took their flight helmets off glad to be breathing in fresh air once more. Jones cooked his food first then finding a spot where he could look over the cliff and watch the sides. Wild goats from Earth was all he noticed at first. The wild goats appeared to thrive in the mountain range area.

 

Jones was just about finished with his meal when he noticed something moving among the fruit trees below. A pack of Rippers came into view sniffing at the air and calling to each other.

 

All of the Leather-Wings raised their head at the noises below but didn't react once it was clear the creatures couldn't get any closer to them.

 

Then one of the monstrous flightless bird-like creature looked up and attempted to scramble up the cliffside. No doubt the cooking food or noise they made had attracted the creatures to them.

 

After a while, the creatures gave up and Jones relaxed but decided he take the first watch tonight. Jones was sure the Leather-Wings would alert of danger. It was better having someone awake and alert. Every second to react to a threat could save lives if something dangerous was coming.

 

Everyone took turns eating and got settled in. Jones took the first evening watch and it was uneventful.

 

It was just before dawn when Jones awoke to find Mike and his Leather-Wing side by side looking out.

 

“Hey Kid. ” Jones said as he walked over to join him.

 

“I promise to do better today. ” Mike said and Jones raised a hand to stop him.

 

“Nothing that we do goes exactly to plan, Kid. What impressed me was the way you recovered so fast before you hit the ground. Nice to see you have bonded so close to your Leather-Wing. Nefarious is a great Leather-Wing and she is very lucky to have you. ” Jones explained.

 

“Yeah. To think, I was scared of her at first. I know about the bonding process, but I was a runner for so long. My father didn't approve of riders. So, I never tried out for a rider position before. My only interest in flying was being a pilot. I was taking classes for aircraft pilots at the time. I don't know what Madam Grace said, but my father hasn't tried to stop me from being a rider. ” Mike said and Jones chuckled a bit.

 

“My own foster parents weren't thrilled about me joining up with the new army. I don't know if you know much about Earth, but there were three major governments starting to take over world wide. Each government was more like an alliance of countries, but we were coming close to something like world peace before I left. My team mostly went around and helped out with small stuff like dangerous cult groups or extremists. Groups who thought it was still okay to have little girls married to grown men or decided to make a point by bombing innocent people. After a while, My foster family drifted apart from me and they had other adopted children to look after. One thing, you must remember is that your parents love you. They are just trying to keep you safe from the world. Now, that I'm a world away from them. I wish I could see my foster parents again and tell them everything. I understand, why they were against me from joining up in the first place. ” Jones explained to Mike and saw the kid was starting to understand him.

 

“Now if you excuse me. I got some personal business to take care of. ” Jones said next and found a spot just around a bend of the rocky outcropping where he could take a good morning piss.

 

With no set time they lingered for a while sharing hot coffee or tea around the small folding stove. Once Jones saw everyone was fully awake they started to prepare to finish the job.

Things went easier this time and everyone kept their distance from the wild Leather-Wings. Jones had them flying South to look for another Leather-Wing Colony. The next one had been confirmed by ships passing by along the coast. These Leather-Wings were more common and a bit more tamed having some contact with people before.

 

The Leather-Wings on the coast shared a few caves in large families. Jones volunteered himself to go into each cave while his team tagged the Leather-Wings feeding from the fruit trees on the shoreline.

 

Jones had a few close calls when he came close to nesting mothers or one protective male. Jones recalled the various ways to make friends with one Leather-Wing by feeding them or quietly sitting off to the side until the creature calmed.

 

Nightmare somehow helped simply by being there. Perhaps seeing one of their one among a single human relaxed the creatures. Jones was thankful for the night vision his flight helmet provided.

 

Jones learned the babies had almost no fear of humans. He was nearly knocked over by a brood of them when he came in with his arms full of fruit with his dart rifle sling over his shoulder.

 

They were so close to him he was able to dart each one by hand and all he got back was a playful nip on the hand or leg for his trouble. It was clear to Jones people came here often enough they almost expected to be fed at the sight of a human.

Any protective female or male he shot them from a distance at the mouth of the cave. He quickly gave the command for Nightmare to fly right after.

 

They finished before dark and took shelter in an empty cave where other people had camped before judging from the path that had led down from the top of the cliff's side. Using an old fire pit they heated up their food and Jones noticed a hole above the fire pit carried the smoke away.

 

Jones took the first evening watch and got up in time for the morning watch as well. This time it was Amy Wills who was on duty and enjoying a cup of coffee as she kept her gun within easy reach.

 

Jones had just finished putting one of the packed meals on the fire to cook when he offered to take the rest of her shift.

 

“Always the gentleman. You don't think, I haven't noticed you like cutting us breaks from time to time. ” Amy said giving him a knowing smile.

 

“I do look after my team. ” Jones answered back and went on alert as something was coming down the path. The scratching of claws on the rock with the whisper of something large.

Jones had both his guns ready and Amy had her own weapon in hand.

 

Then the rather young Leather-Wing came into view sniffing at the air.

 

The wing patterns looked like a pair of human skulls on the wings. It was white in color with a slight mixture of gray in its fur with a black pattern on its wings. The red eyes giving the creature an evil look to him.

 

Jones was confused by the color of the creature until Amy spoke.

“Well, It's an albino Leather-Wing. Looks like we got a little beggar wanting to be fed. ” Amy said relaxing as she put her gun away. Instead, Amy picked up her flight helmet and nodded if confirming something. She took a dart out from her extra supplies to palm it in her hand.

 

“Some of these Leather-Wings are so used to people. The babies are nearly fearless. I have a feeling as long as no one harms one or tries to kidnap a baby Leather-Wing a person could live here in peace with them. This one looks big enough to leave the nesting grounds. Clearly, large enough to carry a person. ” Jones said recalling classes and the pictures they study on maturing Leather-Wings.

 

It was then that Jones heard the growl that came from Nightmare. She appeared behind him and moved past him. The young Leather-Wing bent low then avoided eye contact as his Leather-Wing moved around the younger one.

 

There were other sounds then Nightmare turned away from the younger one. The young Leather-Wing slowly rose and moved only to the mouth of the cave.

 

“Interesting. Your Leather-Wing just gave permission for that one to join us. He submitted just like the textbook said they would. ” Amy said next looking at the young Leather-Wing one like someone would with a stray puppy.

 

Jones put on his own helmet and confirmed they hadn't tagged this Leather-Wing already. Then he returned his full attention to the food being cooked on the fire. He put a bit more on then awoke the others to eat.

 

He tossed some food to the young Leather-Wing last so the creature would get the impression he was at the bottom of the pecking order here. Amy then casually approached the young Leather-Wing and artfully injected him.

 

The leather-wing distracted by the food barely took notice. The only thing the creature did was shake his head if an annoying insect had bitten it. Amy walked back to Jones with a smile knowing she pulled that off pretty well.

 

“So boss, where to next? ” Amy said as she sat down to eat breakfast.

“I was thinking along the coast for a while. See if there are more caves in the general area. Most ships have sailed to the islands and avoid the main shore when possible. There might be spots they missed over the years. Anyone else have any ideas? ” Jones asked always open to suggestions.

 

“Sounds good. ” Mike said before taking a big bite of food.

 

“I heard of one wild island colony, but surely one of the other teams has been there already. ” Amy said and checking her smartphone which was strapped to her wrist and connected to a solar charger. It appeared she was checking a map on it rather than using her heads up display.

 

“We can check in through satellite comm and see. Good idea, Amy. ” Jones said not wanting to shoot down any idea that might occur among his team.

 

Jones quickly confirmed that the island was already done and announced they should proceed with checking the coastline.

 

Besides a few Leather-Wings scattered in a cave or two. They didn't find another big colony. Just before Jones was ready to call a break for lunch. An open distress signal came over the general commlinks.

 

“Alert. a prison riot in progress. Assistance needed. ”A deep male voice announced and all riders heard it. Jones gave orders and they flew right for Beta Site. As luck would have it they were first to arrive being closer then most.

 

Jones landed to find guards standing over sitting inmates in a variety of colored outfits.

It was easy to see those wearing red were the most dangerous.

 

“I have men suited up in riot gear. I need your people to stand guard up here. ” The warden barked out and Jones nodded then motion for his people to spread out. Jones was pleased to see each team member give the command to protect.

 

Behind each rider, their Leather-Wing rose up to a guard stance softly growling to make anyone think twice about rushing a rider for a weapon.

 

Jones spotted his friend wearing an orange outfit. As Jones pretended not to be making his way toward his friend he noticed that another prisoner watching a prison guard.

 

Something about the man's behavior sent off a warning bell in Jones's mind. From where Jones was he could see the man had something palmed in his hand. Before he could pull his weapon or call out a warning.

 

The prisoner rose up with a shiv ready to stab the guard who's back was temporarily turned away as he looked over the other prisoners. Jones yelled out a warning knowing it was already too late but saw his friend Mark Kain spring into action.

 

The two struggled then fell into the water channel that ran off the top of Beta Site. The water current must have been strong.

 

Jones watched in horror as his friend and the unknown man went over the edge a few seconds later. He ran to the edge of the building to see them struggling in the water pool far below. They were heading for the waterfall. Somehow both had survived the plunge down to the deep water.

 

Jones called out for the others to stay then he mounted Nightmare. He knew the chances in getting to his friend in time were slim, but he had to try.

 

By the time, he was in the air his friend was out of sight and Jones flew down toward the waterfall to search where the water crashed down in a roar.

 

The river went on, but the trees grew thicker and would make flying nearly impossible. Jones dismounted to search on foot.

 

The young Leather-Wing they picked up back at the caves flew past him to a spot on the bank and landed.

 

Then Jones saw the body was just lying there.

A sense of relief hit him when he realized it wasn't his friend and the other prisoner was dead from a shiv driven hard into his neck up into the head. The man must have died from massive blood lost or drowned by the water.

 

“Mark Kain! ” Jones yelled his helmet amplifying his voice over the roaring falls and he listened. The river beside him was moving so fast. Jones feared his friend wouldn't surface. The young Leather-Wing either frighten or deciding to be useful flew off down the river. The creature disappearing into the jungle beyond through gaps in the trees just big enough for the younger Leather-Wing.

 

Jones walked and jogged as far as he could go finding nothing. He made an attempt to search from the air next, but the jungle was too dense in this area to see much. Jones looked for a while with no results.

 

Finally, he decided it be best to return to Beta Site with the dead prisoner. After lashing the body to his Leather-Wing he flew back up to the top of the tower.

His team was waiting and so was the warden.

 

Jones caught hell from the warden about abandoning his post. Jones was sure to play it off as himself going after the two prisoners.

 

Before Jones could lose his temper fully by doing or say something he might regret later. Tee-Kay's team flew in and landed. Jones was glad the flight helmet he wore was darkly tinted and made it impossible to see his face.

 

Seeing the dead prisoner she asked for a report. Jones told her and sent a copy of the video to her from his flight helmet which caught everything. In front of the warden, they acted professional.

 

Tee-Kay seeing it was his friend who saved the guard and went over the edge watched the rest of the video showing Jones searching for his friend.

 

“Warden, I stand by what Jones did. One dead from self-defense wound and other one is missing. You might assume he died from drowning, but we shall resume the search until sunset. Jones, take your team and look. Avoid landing if possible. We are on the very edge of the deep jungle. The deep jungle has few dry places during and after the rainy season. We are just outside the Drac-Ko's home territory” Tee-Kay ordered and Jones was glad to do so.

 

Jones flew for what seemed like forever and they landed in the higher branches of the giant trees and called out for Mark Kain. Their search was made difficult by the fruit trees from Earth that made up most of the undergrowth of Eden's jungle. They grew in large patches out here creating dense areas below the larger trees. Which made it hard to see into from above.

 

After a few hours of searching Jones called off the hunt for his friend. Silently on the way back to Beta Site he mentally said a prayer for his friend. Another good man lost protecting someone's life.

 

“Sorry about your friend. I recognized him from the beach. Bad news all around. That young Leather-Wing flew off too. ” Amy said to Jones once they were back on top of the tower.

It was devoid of prisoners. While riders and Leather-Wings were the only things in sight. Tee-Kay waited for him.

 

Tee-Kay ordered his team back to Alpha City with the now wrapped body of the dead prisoner. They would return him back to whatever family he had left. The shiv that killed him had been tossed over into the deep water below. Tee-Kay had told him this herself when she caught him looking at the neck area.

 

Jones entertained the idea of accidentally losing the body while in flight, but put the notion out of his head after thinking how he liked his friend's body to be treated if it was ever found.

Upon arriving back to the Leather-Wing Bay he found Madam Grace waiting for him with two androids standing nearby with a gurney.

 

“No guards to carry the body away? ” Jones asked after he dismounted from Nightmare and stood in front of Madam Grace.

 

“Prototype androids they are testing out. With the New Year Light Festival only weeks away they wanted to free up more people. Captain Jones, I'm sorry about your friend. I wish, I gotten a chance to know him. ” Madam Grace said as she waved for the androids to take the body away.

 

Jones watched as the human-looking robots took the body off of the second seat of his saddle after undoing the straps that bound the body.

 

“All of you. Take the day off tomorrow. I already looked over the latest reports and your team has the most hits. A reward for your hard work. Jones, my office for a full verbal report. ” Madam Grace said to the group and turned to walk to her office.

 

Jones watched as his young ward took Nightmare's reins and led her away. Jones was amused by the sight of such a small girl leading such a large creature away like a dog.

Jones went in and told Madam Grace everything that happened.

 

When he told her about the white Leather-Wing flying off she only commented

 

“Shame, you didn't bring it back. He must have been a real beauty. ” She said with a dreamy look in her eyes. The love for Leather-Wings was clear in her distant gaze.

“The warden is furious and called me directly. I had strong words with him and reminded him that a rider's job is to rescue as well as protection. We take odd jobs from time to time, but protect and rescue should be our motto. As part of a peace offering, I have arranged for a woman named Mississippi to take over the supply runs. I don't think you have met Mississippi, yet. She has to be one of the youngest pilots out there. She is a bit shady at times, but we look the other way because she is damn useful for getting stuff that we need. ” Madam Grace said.

 

Jones recalled his friend Lee mentioning a very mature teenage girl named Mississippi that he worked for. Jones left, but not for his apartment. Since there were plenty of rooms for training and most had punching bags. He worked out his aggression there only removing his flight helmet.

 

Ever since getting injected he needed less sleep and spent more time reading or working out. He found time to do more of the stuff he wanted as well.

 

Tiffany found him there sometime later exhausted and chugging down another bottle of water.

 

One look from her and he followed her back to his place where they showered together and made love long past evening.

 

Jones awoke alone in bed and found a digital note on his tablet. He was invited back to dinner at her parent's place again. The note also mentioned a guest would be coming as well.

Jones called up Kain's friends from his army days and told them the news. For now, he considered Mark Cain missing in action. By lunchtime, he met with Smitty and they shared a few beers over past stories.

 

By the time dinner time rolled around Jones was hungry and sobered once more. He had cleaned up beforehand and was greeted by Julie this time.

 

Everyone was already seated and Brutus was setting the table with dishes. Jones was confused by the sight of a young girl who appeared to be fourteen years old at best. He was sure she wasn't old enough to drive at the very least. Something about the way she dressed and the way she moved told him she was extremely mature for her age.

 

“Milo Jones, This is Savannah Miles. She is our leading expert in genetics. ” Julie said and Jones shook hands with her.

 

“I can tell from your face that your a bit confused about how a teenage girl could be an expert in genetics. Sit down, It's a story best told when you are already seated. ” Savannah said and Jones did so taking a seat next to Tiffany and sitting across from Savannah Miles.

“Mrs. Knight was kind enough not to reveal that I was the first person to get injected with an early version of the regeneration treatment. I decided to be the first test human subject and did it to myself. In retrospect, I'm inclined to agree it was very foolish of me to do so. In a matter of days, I started aging backward and ended up a child before the process was corrected. Officially, I'm listed as an emancipated child prodigy to avoid any confusion. I'm just glad, we fixed the little problem before I ended up back in diapers. ” Miss Miles said with a smile and a look at Julie.

 

“I was curious on why no one ever improved the regeneration part. I guess too much of a good thing can be bad for you. ” Jones replied back and started to see Savannah Miles in a different light after her story.

 

“So, mister Jones. I saw on the most recent reports your team had tagged more Leather-Wings then anyone else. I must say that I'm impressed by the speed of your work. ” Miss Miles said next glancing over at Tiffany for a few seconds.

 

“I think, I can give him a run for his money in the coming weeks. My team was just busy with that new pig species we discovered is all.

 

“Oh? ” Jones asked.

 

“Ugly brutes. Big as a boar and the sucker had four tusks. Look kind of like that one pig from Earth. ” Tiffany said trying to recall the name.

“Babushkas, or Deer Pigs, dear. ” Julie said being the family expert on nearly all animals from Eden and Earth.

 

“Yeah, but these guys are a lot bigger and meaner. Lucky for us, we just so happen upon a young one. I was all for eating him, but my team convinced me that we needed to get the body back home for study. ” Tiffany said giving Jones a wink.

 

Jones could almost picture Tiffany lining up a shot with her sniper rifle and shooting one. He recalled the day they met and they went silk collecting. Back on Earth she would have been a country girl not scared to work with half-wild animals or go hunting dangerous game.

 

“I don't see how you do it, Tiffany. With all the giant bugs crawling out there and all of the unknown predators, we haven't documented. ” Savannah Miles said with a shiver.

 

“I guess it's just part of my nature. ” Tiffany answered smiling at her mother and father. It was Julie who spoke next.

 

“She was such a tomboy growing up. I remembered the day she flew down on the back of Blood-Wing. Still a young Leather-Wing, but big enough to carry a child. I can't say that I was pleased at first but after a while. I noticed, she got into less trouble with her new friend. Leather-Wings do make good protectors and we are still unsure why they protect us or adore children. ” Julie said if trying to figure out an age-old question.

 

“I think Leather-Wings are a lot smarter then they appear. How long have we underestimated some animals only to be shocked by how smart a critter can be? ” Mr. Knight said in answer.

 

“He has a good point. Silk-Weavers we feed are pretty tamed and won't attack unless provoked. As long as we keep a good number of them just outside the wall. We never have to worry about other bugs coming here. ” Savannah Miles said with a smile.

 

Jones recalled reading about the numerous insects that were found on the jungle floor. Mostly they were a food source for everything else in the jungle that liked something living.

 

“Dad, I think we have other concerns inside our walls at the moment. Some people have voiced their worries about these new prototype androids being made. Everyone who talked to me seems to think they will lose their job. ” Tiffany said moving the conversation to a different topic.

 

“Doctor Williams androids won't be a massive labor force project. We don't have the raw materials to create armies of androids. So you can put people's worries to rest. Williams is a brilliant man even if his own personal past grief doesn't allow him to see beyond his own lab at times. We were lucky to recruit him back on Earth, but perhaps I was a son of a bitch to approach him right after the death of his daughter. Mind you, the authorities didn't know if he truly committed a crime or not. ” Edward Knight answered and paused to take a drink. Then Edward Knight seemed to realize some people at the table didn't know the full story. He went on speaking.

 

“For the sake of our guests, I will provide you all with some background. Doctor Williams daughter was the victim of a hit and run back on Earth over a decade ago. She lingered for some time in a hospital bed waking and slipping back into a coma-like sleep. Sadly this was months before our regeneration treatment. Doctor Williams was working for my company on a way to map the human mind and transfer it to an android. His main goal was to create a companion android who understood people better for emotional support. Ironic or just cruel fate such a tragic event would hit so close to home for Williams. He wanted to preserve the collected knowledge of a person then store it inside an android. So one night, he slipped into his daughter's hospital room and used his machine to do so. In doing that he had to end the life of his daughter who was already declining in health with each passing day. He had hacked the life support machines so it showed she was still alive. He secured his work in a safe place and waited for the dead body of his daughter to be discovered after he left the hospital. I can tell you that my lawyers earn their money in keeping him out of prison. We strongly argued since she was dying anyway, that it was pointless to charge him with murder since the hit and run driver had been caught. Any trial would have been a terrible waste of money. I wasn't sure which way things were going to go. So, I made arrangements for him to be smuggled out. No easy task considering the police had been watching his house closely. It's taken him over a decade to come this far in his work here on Eden. ” Edward Knight explained.

 

Jones having some knowledge on Androids decided to join the conversation.

 

“I worked with the soldier androids before. Even the best ones lacked that sixth sense you need in combat. AI drones were better, but they had an easier job then us. ” Jones commented.

 

“It is incredible how far we have come with AIs before. Williams hopes to corner the market for Androids here with these new models. Perhaps, we should get a servant model. Give you all a rest from cleaning up. ” Edward Knight said to his wife and kissed her hand then looked at his family.

 

“I have Brutus for that. ” Julie said giving her brother a wink. There were light chuckles and as always Brutus remained silent. Jones thought he caught the big man smirking a little. A minor show of emotion from the big man.

“Williams is planning to show off his androids during the Light Festival. I suspect, that nearly all riders will be called upon for extra security and show off our Leather-Wings. ” Edward Knight said looking from his daughter to Jones.

 

“You think there will be trouble? ” Jones asked curiously since this was his first year attending it.

 

“Oh, no more then the usually drunken fights, property damage, and various party related crimes. Beyond that, it should be pretty tamed. I don't envy our Peacekeepers this time of the year. ” Edward Knight said and Jones had a feeling he was going to have an interesting time.

 

“It's our way of celebrating Christmas and New Year's eve together. The LED suits people come up with are so cool. Plus, there is a tradition to exchange a meaningful gift with loved ones. ” Tiffany said and Jones had to smile at her use of Earth slang.

The rest of the dinner fell to discussing plans and what there was to see.

1