Eden 13-14
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13: New Friends

 

In the following weeks, Jones signed up for showing off Nightmare at the festival. Days before the event Jones could see the transformation of three fields just before the wall area. Booths, fenced areas, and food stands were being set up. The city became more crowded and the tourist trade in Alpha City boomed for a while.

 

Jones signed up for the evening shift while Tiffany got the afternoon one. Turned out she had become the star attraction as everyone wanted to see the famous Tee-Kay or equally famous Leather-Wing known as Blood-Wing.

 

Nearly all of the Peacekeepers were called to duty during the week-long event. As Jones came down for a landing he saw the party was in full swing. They had flown over the Android exhibit next to the field where various animals were being displayed. Nightmare seemed happy to be far away from the noise and lights of the other two fields.

 

Jones saw that Peacekeeper Maki Riko and her dog Kimi were on duty next to the line for Tee-Kay's assigned area. Judging from the new uniform she was given a promotion recently. No doubt due to her hard work within the Peacekeepers.

 

Jones gave Tiffany a quick kiss just before she left and he took her spot on the field. Only a few people left the line with their children. A minute later, Jones was introducing a child to Nightmare nearly every five minutes.

 

Some children were scared or overly excited and Jones was amazed to see Nightmare act as tame as an old family dog to each child. One brave little toddler ran right up to Nightmare's face and locked eyes with the Leather-Wing as she sniffed at him.

 

He only giggled when she nuzzled him then raised her head up at something which had alarmed her. Sounds of popping which could have been balloons or a confetti gun going off. Then parents started picking up their children or leading them away.

 

Kimi the dog started barking at the same time. There was shouting then Jones noticed a ripple of disturbance in the crowd. Jones watched as a little girl in a dress came running out of the crowd pursued by what appeared to be a drunken guy.

 

Jones did a double-take on the little girl only to realize it wasn't a girl exactly, but a child version of an android in a pink frilly dress.

 

The little android slipped past the barrier and into the enclosed area where Jones stood next to Nightmare.

 

The drunken man half fell over the barrier cussing up a storm. More shots rang out from the field next to them. Kimi was on her feet growling in that direction. Eager to be off toward the trouble.

 

Riko looked down at her arm brace where she had some built-in technology in it. She looked at it seeing an alert message then over at Jones.

 

“Mrs Riko, We got this guy. I have a feeling you're needed over there. ” Jones ordered as people started to flee the area a bit quicker.

Maki Riko nodded and yelled out something like a battle cry and Kimi took off like a bullet toward the trouble.

 

Jones gave the protect command and Nightmare rose up growling. Jones was surprised to see Nightmare let the little android hide behind one of her legs.

“Come here, you little fucking machine. I'm gonna tear you limb from limb. Take my job, you little bitch” The drunken man slurred somehow missing the large Leather-Wing looming before him.

Jones stepped forward deciding he handle this A-hole personally. Jones attempted to talk him down, but the guy took a swing at him before Jones could get a full sentence out.

Jones felt bad for doing it, but he broke the guy's arm then dislocated his knee for good measure. With a painful scream from the drunken guy he pulled the man's arm behind his back and cuffed him with handcuffs that he had packed away for trouble.

The guy was whimpering by the time Jones had him secured. More yelling and even more Peacekeepers rushed to the spot where the gunshots had come from.

 

Jones remembered the little child android and walked back to it.

 

Nightmare was shifting her head from side to side looking for more trouble. Clearly, his Leather-Wing considered the girl like any human child that needed protection.

As Jones walked up to the little android she spoke to him.

 

“Thank you. My name is Eve. Who are you? ” Eve asked and Jones introduced himself then his Leather-Wing.

 

“I'm Captain Milo Jones and this is Nightmare. What happened over there? ” Jones asked wondering if his help was needed.

 

“Three drunken men were yelling at father. One pulled a gun and started shooting the new androids. That man came after me when I ran away from the bullets. ” Eve explained pointing at the man he took down. Jones noticed the noise had dropped from the field next door.

 

“Come with me, Eve. Nightmare, stay and guard him. ” Jones ordered Eve then turning to his Leather-Wing to give the command. Nightmare moved to stand over the down man watching him like a hawk. Eve reached up for his hand and Jones feeling odd about it took her hand feeling the cool translucent plastic that made up her skin.

 

Jones wasn't sure what he was going to do. This was strictly a no guns event so he was unarmed say for his Eden made knife. As it turned out, he wasn't needed as he pushed through the small crowd of Peacekeepers forming a loose ring.

 

They looked at his uniform and the child version Android who held his free hand. Slowly they parted to let him pass through.

 

Two men were handcuffed and being read their rights under Eden law. One man was screaming about “That fucking dog” While they were wrapping compression bandages around his arm and leg.

 

Jones looked to see Maki Riko holding back Kimi who's mouth was bloody. The dog showing her teeth every time the man fought with the other Peacekeepers while they were trying to provide medical aid.

 

Maki Riko with Kimi moved up beside Jones showing that he was okay to be here. She motioned with a simple head nod in a way of greeting him.

A man dressed in a lab coat was being looked after by a paramedic who was removing a bullet from the man's shoulder. On each side of the man in the lab coat, two androids were riddled with bullet holes were lying like dead bodies.

 

Eve broke hand contact with Jones and ran to the man in the lab coat. Jones followed closely behind.

 

“Father, you are damaged. Are you okay? ” Eve asked and acting every bit like a child. Jones even forgot she wasn't a real person for a few seconds.

 

“My dear sweet Eve. I'm fine. I'm so happy that you're undamaged. I take it, I have you to thank. ” The man said using his free hand to cup the android girl's face then looking up at Jones.

 

“Part of my job, sir. Your....Eve just so happen to run into the right person is all. ” Jones said stopping himself from saying, daughter. The child android acted so human.

 

“My name is Doctor Williams. Eve is my very first prototype. My based model for all the new version of androids. I don't know, what I do without her. The other two Androids were Ann and Andy. I was explaining to those animals that my androids were not going to replace the labor force, but be part of the community when one of them pulled a gun. I told Eve to run and he just started shooting. I caught a stray bullet. ” Williams explained to him and everyone else in earshot.

 

Maki Riko already pulled out a small smartphone typing away then making sure her body camera was recording his full statement. Then Maki Riko spoke.

 

“Well, we got them for illegal firearm during a no gun event, property damage, public disturbance, attempted murder. If that bullet had hit you in your head, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Even if he plea bargains out he will be spending time at Beta Site for sure. ” Maki Riko said listing off the charges while she moved through her screen on her phone while filing an action report on the spot.

 

“There was a third guy. I got my Leather-Wing pulling guard duty over him. ” Jones said wondering if the guy had pissed his pants after being left alone with his monstrous Leather-Wing.

 

Maki Riko nodded and they left to find the man right where Jones left him. Nightmare was still looming over him if deciding where to bite him first.

 
 

As Maki Riko dragged the man to his feet. Kimi approached Nightmare and they exchange sniffs at each other then Kimi back away yipping lightly. Nightmare only snorted at the yipping creature. Clearly both were being playful with each other.

 

“Kimi, come. ” Maki Riko ordered and noticing the drunken guy's knee was out of place. Jones watched as she performed a small kick which popped it back into place.

 

“Little fucking Bitch. That fucking hurt. ” The drunk guy said and Maki Riko only smiled before speaking.

 

“My dog just got done chewing on your friend. Your next, if you don't start walking now. ” Maki Riko said shoving him forward and Jones watched as he limped away. Maki Riko holding him firmly by the arms.

 

It only took twenty minutes before the area was filling in with a crowd and the area for the android exhibit was closed off. The rest of the night was tamed and Jones was soon off duty when Amy came down with her Leather-Wing.

 

Jones mounted then gave the command for home and soon found himself at his balcony. Nightmare launched herself away and up. Jones was sure he knew where she was heading for since her flight path look like she was heading for the river. Perhaps for a late-night dinner of fish then her alcove.

 

Looking out then below he saw the festival was still going on, but winding down as the night went on. Jones went to bed early. Tiffany came around noon and found Jones in the middle of his Kendo practice.

 

Since they were due to be wed. Jones had given her full access to his place. She even had spare clothes in the extra bedroom now.

 

Tiffany looked amused at the sight of him going up then down the steps or the reverse. Jones noticed her but didn't pause with his exercise. Tiffany picked up one of his spare wooden swords from the wall rack and launched a pretty good attack on her future husband.

By the time they were finished and he barely won against her they both had a fierce hunger for food.

 

“I say, we clean up and spend the rest of the day at the festival. ” Tiffany said and stripped off her clothes.

 

She smiled from over her shoulder as Jones admired her naked backside. They ended up spending more time making love in the shower then washing, but they were clean by the time they emerged.

 

Each of them went to different bedrooms and dressed.

 

When Jones went back to the spare bedroom he found Tiffany had slipped into a nice sundress. It was always shocking for him to see her in a dress. Jones did a quick wolf whistle and Tiffany only smiled as they left the apartment. A short walk and one elevator ride later they found themselves on the ground level.

 

They took a taxi cab ride over to the festival grounds. They walked around well after dark and enjoyed the various sights. The creative nature of people as they displayed their LED suits was interesting.

 

Jones found the animal exhibits enlightening. In various size plastic cases with air holes he looked at all the different bugs and there was even a baby Ripper in a steel cage.

A large man wearing heavy leather gloves who stood near the cage made sure no one got too close to the little monster. Even the young Ripper looked like a mean little biter.

 

They even ran into Smitty's family and spent most of the night walking together in a group. They agreed to meet the next day and do the same. There was still much more to see the next day.

 

Jones even got the pleasure of introducing Maki Riko and Kimi to the Smitty family when Sasha wanted to see the Leather-Wings some more.

 

Besides a few hellos and how are things going, they didn't stay long to chat. They soon moved on to the commerce sections where new products were being displayed and services offered.

 

A few aircrafts were here and the captains of each talking to people hopeful for more work.

Jones spotted Dallas having a conversation with the youngest female pilot he had ever seen judging from her outfit.

 

The young woman was perhaps in her late teens are early twenties by his guess. She was pretty in that southern way. She wore a cowboy hat with the sides folded back which did nothing to hide her brown hair or her overly freckled face.

Jones thought he have to go over to Dallas and say something since it was clear he was flirting with the girl. Knowing Dallas, he was being his normal crude and vulgar self. Then the young woman kneed Dallas in the balls and did something Jones hadn't expected.

 

The young woman took a marker from a pocket of her flight jacket and asked Dallas for his free hand. Gasping for air and holding himself with one hand he held out his other hand to her.

 

Jones was close enough to hear her words.

 

“Give me a call when you learn some better manners, Sugar. You are kind of cute. ” The young freckled face woman said and patted him on the cheek then walked back inside her aircraft. Each of her crew wore a smirk as she passed them.

 

Dallas had to wave off the two Peacekeepers coming his way and carefully rose up. He walked slowly away from Jones not seeing him. Dallas went over to a nearby table to recover from the low blow.

 

“Damn, I think Mississippi likes him. ” Tiffany said with a girlish giggle.

 

Jones recalled hearing that name before. Now, he had a good look at the young woman he saw there was something a bit shady about her. Judging from her crew and the fact they advertised as a cargo ship. He was willing to bet she broke a few laws from time to time. It was Tiffany who filled him in on some details.

 

“You never met her, have you? Missy to her friends and she is a smuggler, but rarely gets caught. So far, it's been little things. She has been fined more times then any other cargo pilot on Eden. Uncle B says she won't transport illegal drugs or anything dangerous to other people. I think, daddy uses her as a source of information. I have overheard a few things over the years. ” Tiffany said if letting Jones in on a secret.

 

“I hate to see what she does to people she doesn't like. ” Jones said looking where Dallas was laid out on a table and looking perhaps slightly less pale then before.

 

“Dallas got off lucky. I kind of admire her in a way. She inherited that cargo ship from her granddad. She is the youngest cargo pilot that we ever had on Eden and made it in a very tough business. Not many will fly straight over the deep jungle for example. ” Tiffany said and Jones could see how the women were alike in some ways. Both of them were strongly independent for one thing.

 

“Mister Jones. ” A voice said and Lee Lima came toward him.

 

Jones smiled and introduce Lee to Tiffany Knight. He watched as the man's eyes went wide at the sound of her last name. Perhaps a touch wider when Jones said she was his wife to be.

“Congratulations. He is one of the best men that I have come to know on Eden. ” Lee said to Tiffany and she smiled at that.

 

“It's been awhile, since we have chatted on the commlinks. How have you been? ” Jones asked.

 

“Good. I got myself, my own girlfriend. Nothing serious, yet. You should meet my boss. She is a very good boss. ” Lee said and Jones nodded.

 

Being in the company with Lee none of the other crew stopped them from coming on board. Jones saw it was a mid-size aircraft made for quick trips with a cargo hold big enough to haul just about anything.

 

“Well, Lee. Who is this handsome side of beef? ” Missy said and Jones took note of the pistol she now wore low on her hip. He guessed, as long as she didn't take it outside her assigned area she wasn't breaking the no gun rule that was temporary in effect.

 

“Captain Milo Jones. Former Army captain and now a Leather-Wing rider. ” Jones said in way of an introduction.

 

“Hmm, you got the lean muscles of a rider that's for sure. Tell Madam Grace thanks for the extra work. It's been our pleasure flying goods to Beta site. You come here for business or pleasure. Miss Knight there, doesn't strike me as the type to share her man. ” Missy said with a wink and Tiffany only grinned.

 

“I think Dallas will keep you entertained once his manhood recovers. ” Tiffany said and that got a good chuckled from Missy.

 

“Always a pleasure talking to a member of the Knight family. You all don't pussyfoot around and you all avoid playing politics with me. Come on up to my quarters. We will have a quick drink. I like southern style tea myself with a touch of the good stuff. ” Missy said and Jones followed the woman up some metal stairs then down a narrow hallway until they reached a room.

 

Jones noticed there were no locks on the outside part of the doors.

The inner room was decent and look like it doubled as a meeting room.

Missy pulled some drinks from a mini-fridge and filled a few plastic glasses.

 

They exchange some small talk and Missy was delighted in giving them a brief history of her life. She was clearly taking after her old grandpa and according to her. She had a small fallout with her parents.

 

“Being family and all, we made up not long after that. Not to mention, the extra credits I send back home don't hurt either. Nothing wrong with being a farmer, but it's not the life for me. I like flying about and making a bit of my own money. ” Missy said and Jones listened as she shared a few more stories.

 

Perhaps Missy assumed or guessed that Tiffany might have some inside knowledge and didn't openly admit to any crimes, but implied she may have bent a law here or there. Jones found the young woman a real charmer, but no different from the arms dealers he dealt with while behind enemy territory during those early days.

 

“Listen to me go on and on. I better let you two go on with your date night. Be sure to tell anyone who needs a cargo pilot that I'm one of the best on Eden. ” Missy said and shook hands with Jones then Tiffany.

 

Once they were out of earshot. Jones gave his opinion.

 

“I think, she could charm the skin off of a snake then sell it back to him. ” Jones said and Tiffany smiled at his words.

 

“I can see how useful she could be. She looks young and a real beauty. She knows, how to make friends with people in power. That way she can act like a middle man so to speak. How much you wanna bet the number of minor contraband items spiked every time she visits Beta Site. ” Tiffany said.

 

“Sucker's bet. ” Jones replied back with a chuckle.

 

They spent the rest of the weekend enjoying the sites of the festival. Jones was actually impressed by the skilled artwork he saw from wood carvings to paintings.

 

They took Sunday off completely and did hardly nothing all day, but hang out at his place. Jones showed her various movie favorites he liked and Tiffany shared some of her own favorites.

 

Their quiet evening was interrupted when a delivery chime from his apartment AI, Ada spoke.

 

“Incoming drone delivery. ” Ada's voice said and Jones was puzzled by the message. His fridge was fully stocked and he didn't order anything recently.

 

Tiffany got up and went to the doorway to the balcony and whistled as a fairly large drone came in dropping off a wooden crate.

 

“I wonder what it is? ” Jones asked more to himself then anyone there.

 

Together they walked out to the balcony and Jones found latches on the side of the lid. He undid them and moved the lid.

 

At first, he thought someone's body was inside the crate for a few microseconds until his mind told him it was the face of a female looking android.

 

The oval face opened its eyes and like a contortionist, she unfolded herself from the crate.

The female android smoothed out her uniform then introduced herself.

 

“Hello, Captain Milo Jones. I'm the one-hundred service android made by Doctor Williams. In gratitude for saving his prototype android, Eve. He wishes for you to accept me as a gift. ” The monotone sounding android said.

 

“She doesn't have an AI personality program uploaded into her, yet. What kind of service android are you? ” Tiffany asked looking at the female body then over to Jones to judge his reaction. Thankfully, the female android answered the question.

 

“I'm classified as a servant model. I can cook, clean, and wash clothes which are some of my most basic functions. I can be given other tasks if you like. ” The female android answered in that same monotone voice.

 

“Hmm, I like the idea of you having a maid. Less time, we have to spend cleaning up and more us time. ” Tiffany purred as she leaned into Jones's body.

 

Jones had limited experience with drones or combat-ready androids back on Earth. They were good shooters and great bullet magnets too. They always lacked the human fear to keep their head down. So, naturally Jones stayed away from them during combat.

 

“You, follow me. ” Jones said recalling a command he heard others make to androids back on Earth.

 

The female android did so and stopped in place when Jones stopped walking.

 

“Detecting a house AI program called Ada. Would you like to upload the AI program to this body?? ” the female android asked.

 

“Yes and Ada, I give my permission. ” Jones said already tired of the basic programming this android was preloaded with.

 

Jones watched as something in the expression or mannerism of the android changed. When the female android spoke it was in Ada's voice. Somehow more human-like in tone.

 

“Hello Captain Jones, It's nice to meet you in the flesh so to speak. ” Ada said looking around the apartment if seeing it from a different point of view for once.

“All systems are running at peak levels. ” Ada said next.

 

Jones and Tiffany spent the next hour asking questions or discussing what Ada should do.

When Jones mention he wouldn't mind someone helping him clean his guns. Ada chimed into the conversation.

 

“I'm sorry, Captain Jones. My basic programming doesn't allow me to handle firearms or parts unless your life or someone's life is in danger from an active threat. This is to prevent someone from misusing an android in such crimes like smuggling weapons or killing someone. ” Ada said looking him directly in the eyes.

 

“None of that captain business. Call me Jones or just Milo. ” Jones said never realizing before that he never been so personal with his house AI before.

 

“Okay, Just Milo. ” Ada said and smiled.

 

Jones was about to correct her when Tiffany giggled.

 

“Hey, she just used humor. ” Tiffany said looking surprised.

 

“Yes, personal entertainment such as small talk is one of my many functions. ” Ada answered.

 

“I guess we could put her in the spare bedroom. Ada, how do you recharge your new android body? ” Jones asked.

 

“What you might call my skin are translucent micro solar panels. If you wish, I can sit here in front of these glass doors and recharge myself. ” Ada offered.

 

“Wait, does that mean you have to take off that uniform? ” Tiffany asked and now eying the android in a way that made Jones glad that Tiffany wasn't armed.

 

“Clothing is optional, but without clothing I can recharge faster. Would you like to see?” Ada asked and Tiffany nodded. Jones had a slightly uncomfortable moment until he reminded himself Ada was just a machine.

 

Jones was a tad nervous watching as Ada removed her uniform and relaxed when he saw the android was like an old Barbie doll in regards to form. The basic female shape was there, but thankfully none of the holes or even the nipples were present. The only gaps was where her body needed to move such as in the joints.

 

Her outer skin layer was some type of hard flexible clear plastic. Ada moved over to the glass doors and sat down in a classic yoga pose. After a few seconds, you think she was nothing more then an oddly placed statue.

 

“She does have a nice ass. ” Tiffany teased and Jones blushed a little when he looked. Tiffany had tricked him into looking at it directly.

 

“Yours is better. ” Jones said and gave a playful smack on Tiffany's butt.

“Just Milo, not in front of the help. ” Tiffany said with a wink.

 

“Okay, Ada. Get dressed. I would prefer you were fully dressed anytime that I'm home. ” Jones said and Ada confirmed this command as she pulled on her uniform.

 

“You know these walls are pretty thick. You could get a little alcove cut out for her with a wireless charging station. If I remember right the newer models have wireless charging. Ada, do you have that feature in that new body? ” Tiffany asked and Jones was impressed by her knowledge about something that was pretty common on Earth. He wouldn't expect someone born on Eden to know these things.

 

“Yes, Do you wish for me to calculate the cost for such a charging station?” Ada asked.

 

“No, Since it was my idea I will pay for it. We will be living together full time pretty soon. ” Tiffany said looking from Ada then at Jones.

 

“Yes, dear. ” Jones said taking note of the not so subtle hint and got a playful punch in the shoulder from Tiffany for his comment.

 

They went back to watching some shows and went so far to invite Ada to take a seat. Jones forgot about Ada after a while and focused on cuddling with Tiffany as the episodes played out.

 

“That was a good season. Those three dragons were awesome. ” Tiffany said getting up and stretching out.

 

“You staying here or heading home? ” Jones asked.

 

“Hmm, I feel like staying, but no hanky panky. A girl needs her rest for work. ” Tiffany said and Jones nodded.

 

“Ada, your welcome to sleep on the cushions if you like. ” Jones said forgetting she wasn't human.

 

“Yes, Milo. I will engage sleep mode until I'm needed. ” Ada said and laid down then closed her eyes.

 

Jones followed Tiffany to the bedroom where she undressed down to her panties and they spent a good thirty minutes just embracing each other.

 

Chapter 14: Wedding plans

 

Tiffany awoke first that morning. Slipping out of the bed she showered and put on her basic clothing which provided modesty in public.

 

It was still dark outside when she crossed into the living room forgetting about the android that Doctor's Williams had sent to her husband as a gift.

 

Tiffany grinned when she remembered how she made her Milo blush after she directed his attention to the thing's naked backside.

 

Tiffany made herself a quick sandwich as breakfast and left the apartment before Milo was even up.

 

It was best they don't show up together every time to the Leather-Wing bay until they were married. Eden tradition didn't frown upon such couples, but it didn't bless such relationships either. If Tiffany was being honest with herself she really needed to pick a location for the wedding.

 

As Tiffany finished the last bites of her sandwich she happened to look out the window. Unlike her view from her own apartment. The ocean wasn't in sight.

 

It hit Tiffany where her wedding should be. The beach would be a beautiful location. It was remote enough to make it special. The spot that she had in mind had been a favorite place of hers where she liked to play as a child. Few parents on Eden would let their children play anywhere near the ocean water. When she was younger, she had tagged along on her mother's trips to explore new species that washed up on the shores and record them.

 

Tiffany found Milo's tablet and left him a note then the number to one of the few bank credit accounts she had set up years ago. She even had a few under different names. Something her father or Uncle B did as a just in case situation.

 

Tiffany spent a minute also marking a certain location on a map and marked the spot with a note saying Our wedding will be here. She left the tablet where Milo would see it.

Like Milo, Tiffany try to get in an hour or two of working out before her shift. With so many work out rooms and entertainment areas which combine so many recreation activities. There was something for everyone to enjoy.

 

Tiffany arrived in a section that was once used as an old service tunnel for hauling stuff upward. The rock wall towered upward and could be accessed over three levels.

 

Tiffany liked the repelling down and climbing to a point where her body had muscle memory. The repelling down part was almost as good as flying. The long climb up kept her body lean and ready for a fight.

 

Her next location would be to help out with her self defense skills. She attended the combat or self-defense classes to test herself. As a lifetime student, she learned a great deal from her various teachers and there wasn't much more she could learn. Her combat teachers were pretty much set in their ways and it was always a new student who seemed to figure out a new way to counteract a time-honored move.

 

“Hey, Tee-Kay. ” Team member Roger Moore said and Tiffany smiled at the man who had a decently cute bi-sexual boyfriend. Both men were married to Mandy.

 

“Hey, Roger. How are you, Mandy and Larry doing? ” Tiffany said getting her climbing gear on from a locker.

 

“Good. They want me to cook more, but that is one skill I never really mastered. Hell, you know better then let me cook when we are out in the field. ” Roger said dusting his hand with powder and flexing his impressive arms.

 

“Yeah, I swear you could burn water. ” Tee-Kay said not scared in trading some banter with him.

 

“True. See you at the top. ” Roger said and started his climb up. Every six feet or so he clip himself into an anchor point then proceeded upward.

 

Tiffany wasn't nearly has good as Roger, but were she lacked in reach she made up for in speed.

 

Once she made it to the top. She repelled down and it was a blast as always. Tiffany put away the climbing gear then hurried off to attend an early morning self-defense class.

The teacher nodded as she entered and Tiffany picked out a student at random to practice with.

 

Then she was off to her job. She spent some time in the female locker room changing clothes and getting into her flight suit. This week they were putting game trail cameras up to study wildlife near sources of freshwater.

 

The cameras formed a small network all the way back to Alpha City and even had solar panels set up for long term use.

 

The eight hour weekday in the field went by quickly and Tiffany was eager to get back home.

She jogged nearly all the way back to her apartment to loosen up and make herself a bit more hungry.

 

Dinner was already set up and Uncle Brutus was putting down her plate as she walked in.

“I'm home. ” Tiffany said.

 

“How was work? ” Her mother asked and Tiffany explained they put up game trail cameras all day. She also mentioned it was going to be a boring week.

 

“Oh, you won't think that when we request riders to bring back DNA samples. ” Her mother said with a wink and Tiffany thought that might be interesting. It meant getting closer to the new wildlife on Eden.

 

Tiffany listened to the old stories of tall apes in the far East to the giant wolves said to live in the vast ice lands past the long mountain range toward the North.

 

“The council is even going so far to sending a few ships to go North by sea. Those brave and hungry enough for the credits are to make contact with anyone living up there. We have been hearing rumors for years of other tribes like settlements and I have seen some proof of trade goods from the North. ” Her father said.

 

“Like Freetown, daddy. ” Tiffany asked remembering hearing some stories about a town on another island just past Paradise Island itself.

 

“If Freetown does exist and I think it does. I'm not sure they would welcome us coming to their shore. ” Her father said and her mother chimed in next.

 

“Native rebels and escaped convicts. I have a hard time believing such a group could survive without trade. ” Her mother commented.

 

“Honey, I think your forgetting some aircraft pilots and ships on the sea don't always deal in honest trade. Port security on the smaller islands are more laid back. We have no laws regarding trading with unknown settlements. I think, in time we will discover unofficial settlements and maybe they join the Eden government or not. Not everyone agrees with us and I can't blame people for wanting to live beyond our borders. ” Her father explained and Tiffany knew there were times he didn't care for all the politics that went on in Alpha City.

 

“You have a good point, love. So Tiffany. Have you and Milo picked a place for the wedding? ” Her mother asked.

 

“I was thinking about that spot on the beach where I use to play as a child. ” Tiffany said and her mother nodded.

 

“I remember it well. I lost count how many times I had to tell you not to climb the rocks there. ” Her mother said smiling at the memories.

 

“Yeah, I recall a sort of cave there. We could have the wedding party inside the cave and ceremony just outside the mouth of it. ” Tiffany said wondering how long it take to get everything set up. Her father spoke up.

 

“Well, let daddy pull some strings and empty one of his credit accounts. I'm pretty sure I can buy that cave and have it ready in two weeks. I can have lights installed and even get a dining area ready with a dance floor just in time. The only problem, I see that some of our guests won't wish to ride the train. So I guess we have to get a landing pad made as well. ” Her father said and Tiffany got up from the table to hug him around the neck.

 

“Oh. thank you, daddy. ” Tiffany said her eyes filling with tears of joy.

 

“I will take care of the invites. I bet, that Missy girl would be more then happy to fly most of our guests to the beach area. She would loved to talk to some of the most powerful people here on Eden. ” Her mother said and judging from her face was making a mental list on who to invite to the wedding.

 

Tiffany returned to her seat and finishing her own dinner as her parents discussed decorations to security measures. Brutus joining in with a few short responses on handling the security arrangements. Her father even spoke about on turning the cave into a bar type business after the wedding was over with.

 

Tiffany message Milo the first chance she got and they talked through text messages about who to invite on his side.

 

Jones had to think about it and discussed it at length with Tiffany.

 

Every Leather-Wing rider was invited along with Madam Grace. Sasha and Crystal were picked to be the bride's maids. Smitty got the honor of being the best man. The two weeks until the wedding seemed to flash by.

 

Before Jones knew it he was walking on the newly built boardwalk with the beach just below him. Rows of chairs on each side were a mixed company of people. From most of the important people on Eden to casual friends of the family.

 

Dressed in an army style officer uniform with gold pin of a Leather-Wing on his chest he stood and waited.

 

From a nearby tent Tiffany emerged looking just as beautiful as the first time he saw her.

Here on Eden the woman being wed wore a white robe with a long cape that was held by her mother.

 

Tiffany was soon next to him and Commander Giles had the honor of joining them in marriage.

 

The words were not much different and it was shorter in getting to the point. Smitty handed the rings to Jones.

 

Everyone clapped when Tiffany slipped the gold and silver ring on to her left ring finger. The wooden one still on her right hand would stay until it fell off on its own.

 

They kissed and led the group inside the cave which had been transformed in the past two weeks. Tiffany was impressed recalling the cavern had been a bare dry place beforehand.

A series of tables were arranged in groups and color-coded. Dyed silk wall covers adorned the cave walls and a LED lighting system had been installed overhead. Currently dimmed to such a level to make it more romantic.

 

Jones had been warned beforehand he would have to mingle with everyone there. Now being the son in law to the Knight Family. He would get a lot of ass-kissing according to Edward Knight.

 

Jones shook hands and talked with various people he didn't know, but held high positions on Eden.

 

Like meeting the head judge of Justice, to the high commander of port security along with other people who's authority was just below the council itself. Jones actually enjoyed meeting the woman in charge of the recycling department. All were friendly and seemed to want to be his best friend. Jones getting a bit tired of the brown-nosing decided that he needed a break.

 

Jones saw a group of old men and a few women off in one quiet corner. He walked that way seeing most of them were nursing a beer or just a glass of wine.

 

Jones introduced himself and took an unopened beer when one old guy who offered it to him.

 

“So, did you get tired of all the ass-kissing? ” The old guy asked with a chuckle as Jones took a seat next to him in a comfortable cushion chair.

 

“I'm just not used to it. Back on Earth, I was just a captain to a small team of soldiers. ” Jones answered back honestly.

 

“My name is Thomas, That's Glenda and Micheal on your other side. ” Thomas said pointing a finger at each person nearest to Jones.

 

Jones chatted with the group and even though Glenda was an old lady they talked if everyone seated there were old friends.

 

“Edward Knight is a decent fellow. Not like his father who had an ego the size of Eden. ” Thomas said as the conversation came to Knight's family history.

 

“His grandad was a good guy. I feel so much safer after they built that wall. I lost my second husband to a Ripper. ” Glenda spoke her eyes getting a bit misty.

“We should feel sorry for this young buck here. This young lad has got a firecracker for a wife. ” Micheal said pointing at Jones who smiled at his comment.

 

“Bless that girl, Tee-Kay. She is like her daddy who respects our traditions. Even with all the changes in the past decades. ” Thomas said speaking up for Tiffany.

 

“Jones. ” Edward Knight called out from the crowd and made his way to the group.

Edward Knight smiled even more when he noticed the company Jones was keeping.

 

“Thomas. You been torturing this young man with your speeches?” Edward asked in a good nature way.

 

“I have you know this young man is a better listener then you. ” Thomas said acting offended.

 

“I take it Jones doesn't know that you all are the Elders? ” Edward Knight asked.

“Well, we didn't get around to that yet,” Thomas answered back.

 

“Elders? ” Jones asked.

 

“Think of them as community leaders. Retired council members for the most part. They have the ears of the people and in their younger days were the original council members before my family arrived. I can not tell you how many times, I went to Thomas for advice. ” Edward Knight explained. Old Thomas chuckled at that.

 

“You can imagine my shock when I learned, he wasn't like his father. I put that down to rebelling against his daddy. ” Thomas said still chuckling.

 

“Well, grandad respected you. He worked with you all directly. I could do the same. Even if you were retired. ” Edward Knight said and patted Thomas on the shoulder.

 

“I feel like I still got twenty more years in me. I will just hang around a bit longer. ” Thomas said nodding up at Edward Knight.

 

“Jones, It's almost time for the bride and groom to start off the dance. ” Edward Knight said and Jones nodded to the Elders then allowed himself to be escorted away.

 

Brutus insured they got through the crowd just in case someone wanted to talk. Jones spotted Maki Riko and her dog Kimi seated next to the Chief of Peacekeepers. Dressed in a uniform, not unlike his own.

 

Mississippi and her crew were seated at their own table in their Sunday best. She looked happy that she got the job to fly out a good number of important people here. Jones knew she had to remodel her ship slightly to install stowaway seats. Jones had heard she remade her ship a bit fancy just for the wedding to impress the guests. Edward Knight had paid her well to make the changes and she happily accepted his credits.

 

As an added bonus she took full advantage in getting to know nearly everyone who boarded her aircraft that day as she made several trips to and from. Jones wondered how many new jobs she had lined up already.

 

Seeing that Jones was heading toward the spot where the dance floor was. Mississippi got up and not so gently kicked a leg that belonged to Dallas. Who was seated next to her table with most of the experienced Leather-Wing Riders were.

 

One hard very stern look and incline of her head toward the dance floor was all that was needed for Dallas to get the hint. He nearly jumped from his seat in a hurry and asked her for a dance. The couple stood at the edge of the dance floor to wait for Jones and Tiffany to start the dancing first.

 

Jones didn't see any more as he came out to the dance floor where Tiffany was waiting. Her mother, Julie was seated at a table with Madam Grace along with the Smitty family.

Jones started by taking Tiffany's hands and together they started slow dancing with a song playing overhead. Jones knew it was one of Tiffany's favorite songs.

 

Dallas and Mississippi were next on the dance floor and pretty soon nearly all the couples joined in.

 

Afterward, Jones sat down with Tiffany and people came by his table to congratulate him or wish him a long marriage.

 

As Eden tradition went the bride and groom would slip away long before the party was due to end. This would be the start of their week-long honeymoon. Tiffany wanted to spend it at Milo's place with all outside doors locked.

 

His Leather-Wing Nightmare waited for them just down the beach with the remains of several small fish at her feet.

 

Jones helped Tiffany up and a short flight later they were landing on his half-moon balcony.

For the next few days they went without clothes or any shyness around Ada. The android ignored their constant state of nudity and went about cleaning up after them.

Ada also cooked meals and made sure the bedsheets were cleaned.

 

“I could get use to having Ada around. ” Tiffany said lying naked on top of Milo's body with a light blanket covering them both. Currently Ada was in the kitchen area cooking up that evening's dinner.

 

“Me too. Funny, how we lost all sense of modesty around her. ” Jones said his arms wrapped around Tiffany's body just below her breasts. They were currently enjoying near quiet moments listening to the minor noises in their apartment.

 

“I blame myself for being so sexy. ” Tiffany said curling into his body some more feeling his lean muscles. Tiffany just loved the way his body felt when they cuddled. He was like a well-built swimmer or a long-distance runner.

 

“No argument here. ” Milo said cupping her breasts and getting a kiss in return.

 

“You should stop that. Dinner is almost ready and I'm starved. ” Tiffany said with a teasing tone. Tiffany didn't think there wasn't an inch of his body she didn't know.

 

“Dinner is served. ” Ada said carrying two plates with steamed chicken along with a few native side dishes from Eden.

 

“Thank you, Ada. It looks and smells wonderful. ” Tiffany said sitting up. Milo was starting to get used to seeing Tiffany naked to the point where he no longer stared openly at her.

“You are welcomed, Mrs. Jones. ” Ada said and Tiffany was still getting used to her new last name. By Eden custom her old last name would become her middle name. Those who were born on Eden didn't have middle names, to begin with.

 

“So Mrs. Tiffany Knight Jones. How do you like married life so far? ” Jones asked

 

“It's better, then I have imagined. ” Tiffany answered as she picked up one of the glasses of tea that Ada had just sat down on the table.

 

“Ada, you should take some time to relax. My place has never been this clean before. ” Jones said impressed by the level of cleanness and order to his place.

 

“I'm still operating at peak levels. A full recharge is not needed at this time. If you wish, I can recharge until I'm fully powered. ” Ada said looking over at the spot where she would sit cross-legged on the floor.

 

“What my husband is trying to say you should do something you want to do. Like, admire the view from the balcony. ” Tiffany said and Ada seemed to take a few extra long seconds to process that idea.

 

“Yes, I will take in the view. ” Ada said and Jones watched as Ada went to the double doors. Ada used the number code to unlock them and passed through the open doorway as the doors slid apart.

 

He looked over to see her just looking out while leaning out using the rails for support.

“You know maybe you should grant her permission to go outside when the weather is good. It would give us some private time. ” Tiffany suggested.

 

“I'm so happy, I married such a smart woman. ” Milo said and started in on his own meal.

Tiffany grinned and enjoyed her meal a bit more.

 

It was close to dark when Ada returned back inside.

 

“Did you enjoy the view Ada?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Yes, I find the gardens interesting. ” Ada said and Jones had noted she looked at the other balconies from time to time while she was out there. Jones figured out she was inspecting the gardens by using her zoom feature inside of her eye cameras.

 

“Ooo...we should have a little garden of our own. Maybe something off to the sides for more privacy and we leave the middle area free for our viewing pleasure. ” Tiffany said.

 

“Ada could tend to it while we are away. These new field missions have us away for days on end. ” Jones said thinking fresh herbs or a few vegetables would be a good idea.

“I will link her to one of my extra credit accounts and she can use the interest to make her garden. In fact, Ada. I will grant you permission to use the funds to repair yourself, buy new uniforms, and get anything you deemed needed for yourself or the garden. You can be our paid servant that way with your own bank account. ” Tiffany said making a mental note to use one of her smaller bank accounts.

 

After a short discussion on what they wanted for the garden. Tiffany then led her husband back to the bedroom for another round of love making and a good night's sleep before work.

The next few days Jones had the boring job of checking game trail cameras and readjusting them to finding any new critters not cataloged yet.

 

An urgent message appeared inside his heads up display from Overwatch Command.

 

“Possible portal opening detected due South of your position. Observe from a distance and possible rescue if needed. ” Jones read and judging from his team's stiffness they got the same message.

 

“Do you think someone figured out how to open a portal from Earth's side? ” Mike Colate asked through the shared comm channel as they took off flying.

 

“I doubt it. With the main portal now closed. The smaller portals are coming back at random. You have read the same report update I did. It's how most of your ancestors got to Eden. ” Amy said over their shared comm channel.

 

“God help the person who ends up here with no clue on the dangers here. I need you all to focus and weapons at the ready. ” Jones said and felt like they were flying at breakneck speed. OverWatch Command had given them GPS coordinates.

His flight helmet's external microphones picked up popping sounds.

 

“Okay, people. Those are hunting rifle shots. I think this will be a rescue operation. ” Jones said over their shared comm link and Jones heard only one rifle going off. It was being fired over and over with short pauses in between for reloading.

As they crested the trees to a small cove along the beach they spotted the trouble.

 

A fancy-looking sailboat was beached and currently under attack from three Rippers.

The bodies of two more Rippers laid dead on the ground.

Jones took in the man now clubbing at one Ripper clamping its jaw on the railing then using its back legs to slowly climb up to the deck of the ship. Behind him a woman and a teenage girl with a younger boy coward to the entrance to the lower decks. It was clear they wouldn't retreat until his fate was decided.

 

Jones gave the command to dive-bomb then to pin the attacking Ripper. The Leather-Wings followed his own Leather-Wing down as they started to dive-bomb.

 

The large bird-like Rippers didn't stand a chance as the Leather-Wings came down on top of them pinning them to the ground. The Rippers getting tore apart by claws and teeth.

 

Jones used his pistols to shoot the last Ripper dead after Nightmare had knocked it off the boat. She had pinned it to the sand as it struggled to break free.

The beach was silent after that.

 

Movement on the boat caught Jones's attention as the man above him fumbled in his pockets for more ammo. It was clear he was out of the ammo for his rifle.

 

Seeing his team was spreading out to form a ring of protection from any other dangers in the jungle. Jones removed his flight helmet.

 

“It's okay, sir. We are here to help. My name is Captain Milo Jones. This beautiful girl that I'm riding is my Leather-Wing. ” Jones said and the man looked up stunned.

“Your American like me. ” The man said stunned.

 

“Yes, I was born in America. We need to get your family out of here. Rippers, those monster birds you just fought off are not the only dangers out here. We can take your family to the nearest safe place. ” Jones said and watched as the man looked back at his family then down at his ship.

 

“I can't just leave my sailboat here. ” The man said.

 

Jones took in the expensive-looking clothes and the latest generation Rolex Smartwatch he wore on his wrist.

 

“Besides your family is there anything on that ship worth dying for? ” Jones asked.

The man took only a few seconds and motioned for his family to come out.

 

“I didn't catch your name, sir. ” Jones said next as the family slowly climbed down using the boat's side ladder.

 

“Liam Libert. I don't care what kind of military experiment this is, but I can assure you that you will have our vow of silence. I sign a NDA if needed” Liam said looking from the Leather-Wings back to his family who looked on in fear and shock. The man had slung the now-empty rifle over his back.

 

Jones didn't bother with explaining to the man he wasn't on some secret government island. Jones decided it was best he let others explain things and for the Libert Family to see things for themselves.

 

“Okay, Mister Libert. Amy over there can take either your wife or the kids. ” You can ride with me or that young man over there. We will take you to someone with a higher rank then me. I can even call ahead to get you freshwater, food, and some beds set aside. We will go slow, but you all need to hang on tight around our waists. Our riders are strapped in so hold on to them as best you can. ” Jones said pointing each person out and wasn't surprised when Liam wished to ride with him.

 

A few panic or excited screams later and they were airborne once more. The flight back taking longer this time. Mostly due to flying slower for those without a harness.

 

Thanks to his rearview camera on his helmet he caught the look on Mister Libert's face when they came into sight of Alpha City as they flew over the wall. Jones had reported what they found when they were in range of Alpha City for a strong signal then verbally instructed his helmet to upload the videos.

 

They banked wide so the family got a view of the entire city below. They landed in the Leather-Wing bay area and Jones encouraged his team to walk their Leather-Wings forward where Madam Grace waited with a small squad of OverWatch Guards.

 

Jones was pleased to see that Mr. Seagate was there along with some medical people. The medics being a rare sight on Eden. Since most medics spent their time learning and caring for other creatures besides people.

 

They held blankets and freshwater bottles in their hands for the family to take.

After the Libert family was helped down from each of the Leather-Wings. They looked more frightened once they realized. They had been flown into a whole nest of the bat-like monsters that were bigger then cars.

 

“Mister Liam Libert. I'm Madam Grace. Please walk this way with your family toward my office. Your children can wait outside or come inside if you like. I don't have much room in there and chair space is very limited. ” Madam Grace said and Jones thought she acted more like a kindly grandmother now.

 

Mr. Seagate followed and Jones gave orders to every rider they should call it a day. It was close enough to quitting time anyway. It would be a waste to stand around and wait for more orders from Madam Grace.

 

Crystal came out to lead Nightmare away and started undoing the straps that held the two-person saddle. Jones was impressed by how quick Crystal learned something and Nightmare helped her by gently moving about so Crystal didn't have to climb all over the place. The Leather Wing was eager to get the gear off her own back.

 

Jones divided his attention watching the Libert family to ensuring his crew did a proper job storing their gear. Jones watched as the medical staff was called into the room and there was more talking. Pretty soon after that everyone in the Libert family was injected with that regeneration treatment. Jones figured they just got injected to avoid any serious illness since none of them were wounded. Then Madam Grace got up from behind her desk and came to the door.

 

“Captain Jones. ” Madam Grace said calling him into the office. By the look on the parent's faces, they were just told the truth on where they were. As Jones approached he heard part of the conversation as Mr. Seagate was speaking.

 

“We will have an aircraft or a sea ship bring in your sailboat into a dry dock. Once in dry dock, we will have your things brought to you. Mister Jones here, will see you to your new apartment. They will be right next door to you, Mister Jones. That apartment space just opened up last week according to our computer records. ” Madam Grace said and the head guard Seagate came along with a few of his men.

 

“Normally we put you in the hotel, but you all been through a bit of shock. Any of you feel faint just let one of my men know. They are strong boys and they will happily carry you to a bed. ” Mr. Seagate said and Libert family look at the men perhaps thinking they were prisoners or something like it.

 

Jones led the way until they came to the door a little way past his own apartment. Then guard captain Seagate step forward.

 

“Door override command. Seagate. This apartment is to be used for temporary housing for the Libert family. ” Captain Seagate said putting his hand on the scanner next to the door.

“Hello Seagate. I'm Carmela. Palm, face and voice confirmed. Please come inside. ” A female AI voice said and the door slid opened.

 

The Libert family entered the apartment and Jones politely waited in the doorway. The place wasn't much different from his own. With slight differences here and there to the last owner's whims.

 

“I have to lie down for a bit. ” Mrs. Libert said making her way toward the master bedroom looking about for the right room.

 

The children went exploring the other rooms eager to see everything.

 

“Thank you, Jones. I may stop in afterward. First, I must interview Mister Libert. Please have a seat, Mr. Libert. I just need some background information if you're feeling up to it. ” Mr. Seagate said as Jones walked away past the guard left standing just outside the room.

As Jones drew closer to his door he heard what sounded like a machine motor.

 

After entering his place, he found that Tiffany was home with Ada tending to a new three-tier garden out on the balcony. A work crew of a few guys were using some type of high powered water hose cutting an alcove into the stone wall just beyond the stove area.

They had pulled out the stove and appeared to be making the final cut. Working together they barely managed to move a good size stone slab onto a waiting dolly.

 

One man was using something like a large vacuum to clean up the water left on the floor.

A large silver box was pushed into place then hooked into the outlet.

 

“Mrs. Jones. The unit has been installed. We will return tomorrow once we get this large stone cut down a bit to create a divider. ” One worker called through the open doorway to the balcony.

 

Tiffany smiled when she noticed that her husband had returned home. He went to her and they share a quick kiss and Tiffany happily escorted him over to the charging unit that Ada was to use.

 

“Looks like a fancy closet. ” Jones said and his wife nodded.

 

“I don't know. To me, it looks like a fridge without a door or shelves. ” Tiffany said tilting her head slightly.

 

“So, Ada just stands in it and charges up? ” Jones asked.

 

“Yeah. Come and see our new vegetable garden. ” Tiffany said and led him outside.

The three-tier vertical garden looked sturdy and there was a pair of them to each side. They curved with the balcony for about four feet on each side. Healthy looking plants already in heavy pots locked into a railing system.

 

Ada arranging each potted plant to catch the setting sun.

 

“I like the extra privacy the plants give us. ” Jones said seeing the semi wall of plants partly blocked the view from the other balconies.

 

“Yeah, I can sunbathe topless now. ” Tiffany winked and Jones smiled.

“Or in the nude. ” Jones joked and got a solid punch on the shoulder.

Jones rubbed the spot pretending to be hurt then told Tiffany of the new family next door.

 

“No shit. Daddy, mention that this might happen. With the main portal now closed. Other smaller portals might open at random all over Eden from time to time. The Libert family got lucky you were in the area. Other people won't be lucky if they go through one of the portals beyond our walls. ” Tiffany said silently wishing all others would end up on the outer islands where people lived in safety.

 

The door chimed after they stood in silence just enjoying the view.

 

Jones went to it not surprised that the head guard Seagate was there.

 

“Well, Looks like Mr. Libert will be staying with us. Turns out, he is a computer programmer mostly in security work. I told him about Paradise Island, but he wasn't interested in leaving. He seems to think this city is far better then living in farm country. ” Seagate said as he came in.

 

“Mrs. Jones. ” Seagate said seeing Tiffany come into the room. He looked over her shoulder to see the servant android and focused his attention on the married couple.

 

“The wife? ” Tiffany asked curious to know her skills.

 

“Trisha Libert is a stay at home mom. We will give them a few weeks to settle in. Then, we will arrange school classes for the children. As you know, Mrs. Jones we have school classrooms just a few levels down. Right now, they are recovering from the shock of being on a different world and surviving an attack from the Rippers. If you could check on them tomorrow for me around lunchtime. Maybe, have them over for a meal. If it's not too much trouble. ” Mr. Seagate looking a bit sheepish to be asking someone with connections with the Knight family for a favor.

 

“Not at all, Mr. Seagate. It will be our day off. ” Tiffany said and Jones had to hide his disappointment. Part of him wanted to repeat their honeymoon.

 

“Always a pleasure, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. I have a report to make. You two have a good evening. ” Seagate said and left their apartment.

 

Jones decided if he couldn't have tomorrow he have tonight at the very least.

 

Taking Tiffany's hand he led her back to the bedroom. One look from him into her eyes and she knew what he wanted.

 

Giggling like a schoolgirl she followed him to the master bedroom.

 

Ada witnessing this decided that dinner wouldn't be needed. Instead, she followed her learning program by planning ahead to make them a large breakfast. Ada secured the outer doors and then she stepped back into the charging station.

1