Eden 15-16
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Meeting the Neighbors

 

Tiffany awoke naked and grinned as she gently pushed herself off of Milo. She hit the shower and decided to throw on a pink robe. By the time she stepped out from the shower she smelled breakfast being cooked.

 

Ada was in the kitchen and appeared to be cutting up herbs to use on their cheese omelets.

Tiffany knelt at the table and played with Milo's tablet checking the news and using the music app to listen to some country music she liked. Slowly Eden own version of the music was being mixed in with music from Earth. It wasn't long till she heard the shower going again and wearing only his PJ pants. Milo came out giving her a good morning kiss and knelt beside her at the low table just as Ada was serving breakfast.

 

They ate and Tiffany was the first to dress. She left the apartment for a short while to leave a message at the neighbor's outside mounted monitor.

 

By the time she returned Milo was ready for their morning walk for exercise and head to the entertainment rooms. Today, they decided on doing one on one combat with no weapons. Jones showed Tiffany every dirty trick he learned and Tiffany surprised him a few times with moves she mastered growing up with various teachers.

 

A broken nose or dislocated finger was allowed since those healed fast, but they drew the line at broken limbs. Even with their advanced healing, neither wanted to spend days healing or have a medic reset the bone if it healed wrong.

Both learned from each other and given a few more years they would be very dangerous alone or even more lethal as a pair.

 

As they walked back Jones mentioned they should move on to blunted weapons. Tiffany lacked skills in disarming people and it was clear even to Jones he didn't do enough hand to hand fighting.

 

They cleaned up and helped Ada with lunch after seeing a message was waiting for them that the Libert family had accepted their lunch invite.

Jones double-check the hobby room where their weapons were stored and made sure it was locked securely. He didn't want the Libert children accidentally playing with his guns or Tiffany's rifle. Thinking about it he have to remind Tiffany they needed some time on the gun range again.

 

It wasn't long until the door chimed and Ada answered it. Tiffany was next to greet the family from next door and Mr. Libert looked at Ada if he didn't expect to see something like an android here on Eden. The youngest of the Libert family had a tablet under his arm and went to the sitting area to play on the device.

 

“My husband has told me about you all. It must be a shock to find yourself on another world. ” Tiffany said to the wife deciding to see how she was coping.

 

“Yes, we were just sailing along enjoying our family vacation and the air before the boat seemed to ripple and suddenly there was land just in front of us. Then those bird monsters came out of the jungle. I never thought I would be so happy that my husband had packed that hunting rifle of his. ” Mrs. Libert said still looking a bit overwhelmed. Mr. Libert was glancing at Tiffany if trying to figure out where he had seen her before.

“How long have you all been married? ” Tiffany asked.

 

“Twenty years. Yourself? ” Mrs. Libert asked

 

“We just got married recently. I was Tiffany Knight until I found the man that I wanted to spend my life with. ” Tiffany said and drew Milo close to her side.

 

“Are you related to Edward Knight? I heard he had a daughter, but she hasn't been seen in public for years. ” Mr. Libert asked.

 

“I have been to Earth a few times. My father, wanted me to know what it was like. ” Tiffany said and the teenage daughter cut into the conversation next.

 

“So, there is a way back. We can leave Eden? ” The teenage daughter asked almost in a panic way.

 

“Trisha, manners. ” Mrs. Libert said sternly.

 

“There was. My father had a large device my family called The Key. It could open a portal from here to Earth. It was destroyed when he fled Earth and because it was so unique they couldn't make another exactly like it. ” Tiffany explained.

 

“It's been a bit of a shock for all of us. She misses her friends already. ” Mrs. Libert said to Tiffany. The teenage daughter in question walked away sulking and went to the balcony to have a private moment.

 

“Mr. Libert, You seemed to know the Knight name pretty well. Did you work for the company before? ” Jones asked.

 

“A few times in the past, but I know it better these days considering he was one of the most wanted man on the planet. At least back on Earth. I heard rumors that he was living on an island with his own private army. The latest news report claimed he died. Something about getting blown up when a special forces team almost had him. Killing nearly a hundred of people with him. ” Mr. Libert said and looked over at Tiffany if scared to offend her.

 

“Well, those rumors did get some parts right. My father is alive and living here. But, he doesn't own an army and our property holdings are fairly small compared to an island. My family along with many others helped make Alpha City what it is today. You really should see the city the first chance you get. ” Tiffany said and started to tell them about the various places to visit.

 

Jones broke away from the conversation deciding to see how the teenage daughter was doing. Mr. Libert went to the seating area and sat next to his son to see what game he was playing.

 

Jones passed through the double doors to find Trisha crying. Seeing it was him she wiped furiously at her face and apologized.

 

“No need for that. I get it. I'm not going to sugar coat my words for you, young lady. Fate can be a real bitch, sometimes. Here you are on a different world a lot like Earth, but so vastly different it scares the shit out of you. You're stuck on a world with no friends and only a few family members who are just as scared as you are. Did you have a boyfriend back home? ” Jones asked kindly standing at the railing just a few feet away. He made a few hand gestures out at the jungle beyond as he spoke.

 

“Kind of. He was a bit of a jerk and we broke up again before I left for our family vacation. Now, everyone is going to think that we drowned at sea when we don't return home. ” Trisha said confessing to Jones.

 

A shadow passed over them and Trisha jumped a little as a Leather-Wing without a rider flew out toward the river just beyond the wall.

 

“That's just a Leather-Wing. Most of the Leather-Wings like hunting fish or fresh fruit on their own from time to time. Normally, they prefer night time to sneak out for a snack. ” Jones said looking at the Leather-Wing as the creature rode the wind like a hawk.

 

“Oh, Is that the one my mother rode on, yesterday? ” Trisha asked.

“Yeah. If I remember right you were on Mike's Leather-Wing. Her name is Nefarious. ” Jones said.

 

“Yeah, Mike. He was nice. We talked a bit when my parents were with Madam Grace. ” Trisha said and Jones recalled Mike sitting next to the girl at one point just outside the office.

 

“Me and my little brother Ben rode together. ” Trisha replied back and try to look beyond the privacy glass only seeing her own reflection. Unable to hear anything from inside the apartment.

 

“You should come on back inside. I think it's almost time to eat. ” Jones said and opened the door for her. Trisha seemed more cheerful after he talked to her. Having a stranger like Jones to confess too seemed to lift some of her burdens away.

 

Jones decided he would get to know the youngest Libert child a little more.

 

“So Ben, How do you like Eden so far? ” Jones asked and Tiffany gave the boy a smile as he looked up from the game he was playing.

 

“I like the monster bats. Can I ride them again sometime? ” Ben asked seeing all of this as one big adventure. Jones figured the boy was still in the single-digit range as far as age went.

 

“No, I don't want you anywhere near those monsters. ” Ben's mother cut in before Jones could answer. The look on young Ben's face looked almost frightened to the point of him crying. Tiffany was the one who answered her harsh response. Tiffany spoke with a gentle tone.

 

“Mrs. Libert, Leather-Wings are very gentle around children. I was around Ben's age when I started riding Blood-Wing. You must have seen the other children helping to take care of the Leather-Wings. We have whole classes for those kids who are interested. ” Tiffany explained sounding very reasonable.

 

“No offense, but I saw what those Leather-Wings did to those bird monsters. I do not want my children anywhere near those Leather-Wings. ” Mrs. Libert said and Jones reached over to put his palm on top of Tiffany's hand to calm her. Jones had noticed that his wife was warming up for a heated debate.

 

The look Milo Jones gave to Tiffany mentally told her that she should give them time to get over their shock.

 

“Mr. Libert, I imagine your be working in the OverWatch Command. Wait to you see the cafeteria area for the employees. ” Jones said. Jones made sure to change the subject and Jones told him what to expect.

 

The rest of the lunchtime passed quickly as they made small talk. Jones saw them off.

A few weeks later Jones and Tiffany were enjoying the early morning just by sitting on the balcony when they heard the couple arguing next door as they came out.

 

The side garden hid Jones and Tiffany from view, but they could see the couple and hear them.

 

“I'm doing my best, Patrisha. Maybe, we should let Ben take those extra classes that pays children just to do a bit of work. You and Trisha can get part-time jobs until we have extra clothes, food, and anything else we want. We got another few months from what we made from selling off the sailboat. ” Liam said as he stepped onto the balcony.

 

“It's bad enough you got him a toy of one of those things. You want our only son around those bat monsters. You saw what they did to those Rippers. How can you even ask me that? ” Patrisha asked glaring at her husband.

 

“I have seen first hand how gentle the Leather-Wings are with children. I went to see Madam Grace after my early morning walk. Just to talk to her. It's a hands-on class experience. All they really do is hose down the stalls and feed the Leather-Wings. It's just a few on hand classes then they head back down for their normal classes. ” Liam said explaining everything in a calm voice.

 

Jones watched as Liam gently held his wife that spoke of years of affection.

 

“I will think about it. I have been looking over jobs here. There is only so much cleaning and cooking we all can do here at home. That injection they gave us has given us so much more energy and all of us barely sleep five hours a night. I do agree with you that we should stay busy to avoid going stir crazy. ” Patrisha said next sounding a bit calmer.

 

“Come back inside, dear. The kids will be coming out soon for breakfast. ” Liam said and Jones heard them walked back inside.

 

Jones motioned for his wife to come inside their own apartment.

 

“I didn't realize not everything was okay, next door. ” Tiffany said and looking at the wall if she could peer through the thick stone wall where the Libert family lived.

 

“Well, I volunteered for this and you grew up here. They got dragged onto this world by fate or God's will. I have been seeing that Trisha girl hanging around Mike Colate a lot lately. The kid has been a bit distracted. Not enough to put his life in danger, but he has gotten injured a few times while catching some of the smaller wildlife for study. ” Jones explained to his wife.

 

“Yeah, I noticed that too. I saw them kissing yesterday. I don't think the parents know the two teenagers are in love, yet. I don't dare tell the girl's mother. ” Tiffany said next.

 

“Good choice. No need to add fuel to that fire. How hasn't Madam Grace caught them yet?” Jones asked admiring how smart of a woman he married.

 

“Are you kidding? Think about how many teenagers are running around up there. Besides she watches the younger children more to make sure they get everything right. The teenagers know better not to screw around too much. I owe her so much in becoming a great rider. As stern as she is. You know she carries that riding crop just for show. ” Tiffany said with a grin.

 

“I will have a word with Mike about sneaking in a girl to work. Man to man secret. ” Jones said to Tiffany.

 

“Better it comes from you then me or Madam Grace. She can be strict at times, but fair. Don't forget that we are bringing new Leather-Wings in on Monday. Captains are expected to join the whole bonding ceremony. They are opening up new divisions on the other islands to have Leather-Wings on hand when needed. ” Tiffany said with a sparkle in her eye.

 

“The first day we officially met. ” Jones said leaning in close to kiss her.

 

“Let's get out of the apartment this weekend. I know of a few places we haven't eaten at as a couple yet. ” Tiffany said and Jones agreed.

 

The weekend passed in long walks, seeing the sights and mostly dining together or with the Smittys.

 

It wasn't the normal workday as Jones prepare his rider suit and flight helmet. Everything had a clean shiny look to it. Today would be the first day he was late as he was ordered to do so. They met the other team captains just outside the doors to the Leather-Wing Bay.

Ten minutes later he was walking behind Tee-Kay acting casually, but excited to see who would be picked.

 

Jones looked up at the upper rails trying to spot Trisha Libert. He will have to talk to her or speak to Mike the first chance he got.

 

As they lined up Jones spotted his target at the top of the stairs. Mike had a deer in the headlights kind of look to him. If he try to sneak her out now there was a good chance Madam Grace would notice. Teenagers hung out on the second floor leaning on the rails to watch the show below. For now, they were lost in the crowd up there.

 

Jones's attention was returned to Madam Grace as she looked over the new hopeful recruits.

 

“What a sorry bunch you are. I thought, last year was bad. Lucky for you it's not up to me if you get a Leather-Wing or not. Leather-Wings pick their riders. This year we are doing an open house. I know some of you took a boat or an aircraft here and it will be a long trip back If you're not accepted here, today. ” Madam Grace pausing to let her words fully sink in.

Jones notice some minor movement at the stairs and saw Trisha Libert was trying to slowly move down the steps so not to be noticed. Jones couldn't stare at the girl too long or make any hand motion without drawing attention to himself then to Trisha.

 

“Now these lower stalls have Leather-Wings that haven't bonded yet. The exception being stall thirteen over there. ” Madam Grace said as she glanced at Jones and giving him a slight smile then pointed to the stall in question. Then Madam Grace looked at the hopeful recruits and noticed Trisha now next to the others.

 

It appeared to all who looked her way that maybe Trisha might have just entered into the room then was trying to back out if she had changed her mind.

 

“You there girl, in the back. Welcome to our open auditions. Miss Trisha Libert, wasn't it? ” Madam Grace half asked already knowing the girl's name and Trisha seemed to freeze with terror at first. Perhaps Jones guessed that Madam Grace thought the girl was trying to sneak out before being called on.

 

Trisha walked slowly out to stand next to Madam Grace. Jones glanced up to the second floor to see Mike leaning on the rail looking a bit paler. Then Jones whispered to Tee-Kay.

 

“What are the chances she gets picked? ” Jones asked remembering he nearly failed in getting the job.

 

“Well, Leather-Wings tend to like girls a bit more, but it's been a while since the first person in line got a Leather-Wing. ” Tee-Kay responded and looked worried.

 

“Come along and follow me. ” Madam Grace said in her stern voice and Trisha was clearly too timid to speak up. Jones knew if the girl could have just said something about changing her mind. Madam Grace would have let her leave without fussing about it.

 

Jones started to relax as Madam Grace took Trisha from one Leather-Wing to another. Each of them turning away from the girl. This year they got a few unique ones.

Jones saw some had larger ears, different noses, or different colors in fur. The colors ranging from gray, brown, black and they had a single one covered with golden fur.

 

Then Trisha shrieked as the golden hair Leather-Wing bit her and moved back. Trisha fell on her ass and Madam Grace helped her up and calming her with words. Trisha looked at her hand looking very shocked it was healing so quickly.

 

Unlike last year the new Leather-Wings not flying off to parts unknown would be staying in the same stalls.

 

“Trisha Libert, Stall Seven. The Leather-Wing's name is Angel. ” Madam Grace called out and Jones knew this was going to cause problems for the poor girl.

 

“Rider nickname Banshee. My ears are still hurting. ” Cowboy called out so loudly that everyone heard him.

 

There were light chuckles and Jones knew without a doubt the nickname would stick now. Madam Grace shot Dallas a hard look. All Rider captains were to be there to show others what they could be like with hard work. Silent and respectful.

“Dallas is always shooting off his mouth. ” Jones muttered to Tee-Kay and she slowly nodded.

 

Thankfully, Cowboy kept his mouth shut as others were picked and Jones only heard real names and Leather-Wings names like Shadow, Dusty, and Nipper.

 

Overall more people were picked and Jones was a bit sadden to see those not picked. Were now filing out of the room. New Riders were paired off with a Captain to get their gear.

“I never told you that Dallas gave me my nickname. He wanted to remind everyone who my father was. I changed it from the letters T and K to Tee-Kay. ” Tee-Kay said proudly.

 

“Jones, take Miss Libert down to the armory for gear and weapons. ” Madam Grace said and Tee-Kay would have the same task a few minutes later with another new rider.

 

Jones left with Trisha Libert looking like she was going to the gas chamber.

 

In the privacy of the hallway Jones spoke to her.

 

“I know you were there just to see Mike. Not to become a rider. It was bad or maybe even good luck a Leather-Wing liked you. ” Jones said and Trisha gave him a look like how did he know about her and Mike.

 

“Tee-Kay saw you two kissing a few days ago. I was going to have a word with Mike since he is under my direct command. That's water under the bridge, now. You got a future to think about and like it or not you got a heavy responsibility. ” Jones said quietly as they walked.

 

“I can't be a rider. My mom is going to kill me. ” Trisha said with a bit of panic in her voice.

 

“Your mom needs more convincing is all. I can have Madam Grace talk to your mother. ” Jones offered.

 

“I would like to tell her myself, but could Madam Grace be there as back up? ” Trisha asked.

 

“Tell you what. I will have your mother summoned to Madam Grace's office. I will stand outside the door and you all can hash it out. ” Jones offered. He sent a quick message using his Smartwatch to text Madam Grace to summon Mrs. Patrisha Libert to her office. Ending the text that they would be there shortly.

 

They passed through door marked Armory where the white-haired man named Christopher Kiln sat waiting behind protected glass with a microphone and speaker. The system allowed him to talk to anyone who came inside.

 

“Jones, Always a pleasure to see you. Who do we have here? ” Christopher Kiln asked.

 

“This is Trisha Libert and her call sign is Banshee. Trisha, this is Christopher Kiln, our expert weapon specialist. If you need gear fixed or time on the shooting range then you come here. ” Jones said taking on the role as a teacher.

 

“Banshee, huh. I like that. Go on in. ” Christopher Kiln said then tapped away on his desk tablet and unlocked the door as a buzzing sound could be heard. They walked right and Trisha stopped as she walked to a table looking at all the various weapons on racks. Everything in a neat and orderly fashion.

 

“So young lady. Pistols or rifles? ” Christopher Kiln asked as he came through a side door.

 

“I have fired a gun before. My dad showed me and my little brother Ben how to fire his hunting rifle a few times for protection. ” Trisha admitted.

 

“Huh, well. Let me think. ” Christopher Kiln said and looked about the room his eyes scanning each weapon then smiling when he looked at one newer case just under a shelf.

“How about the newest generation laser gun? ” Christopher Kiln asked and opened up a mid-size case to reveal something that looked like an FN P90 machine gun.

 

Jones looked over the weapon impressed by it. A mini LED screen displayed how many shots were left. The number sixty in red.

 

“Mostly uses a super battery and can be switched out in a few seconds. You have teammates with plenty of bullets, but this has its own unique firepower. Fires a blue laser bolt and can burn through thick animal hides. We modified these babies from cutting lasers. You can switch from a laser beam to signal bolt shots. Say a teammate gets seriously injured or loses a limb. You can use this little beauty to cauterize the wound. Best part of the weapon there is no recoil to it. I suggest you get in some practice first before your first mission. ” Christopher Kiln explained.

 

“Generally, we like to give two weapons to each rider. You need a good sturdy dagger for up-close work. I got a pair you can strap onto the front of your suit. Speaking of which, I better get it ready. Jones, take the girl to the firing range for some practice. Show her the basics. ” Christopher ordered.

 

Jones nodded and showed Trisha the way. Jones went over the basic rules and common sense when handling a firearm of any kind.

 
 

Jones got a shock on just how good she was. He put money down she was an arcade player before coming to Eden. Jones watched as she fumbled the switch out and told her to practice with depleted batteries in her spare time.

 

They came out soon after as Christopher was inspecting her suit.

 

“Everything checks out. Be sure to bring all your stuff with you, tomorrow. They have lockers in the female changing room” Christopher said satisfied everything was okay as he laid out a pair of twin daggers. Jones noticed the flight helmet she was given had a laser etching on it. The etching of a ghostly female woman in mid scream with her talon like fingers reaching out. The face looked a lot like Trisha if she was seriously pissed off. Jones suspected Mr. Kiln did some quick photo editing while they were busy on the firing range.

 

“Thank you. ” Trisha said looking at the helmet and the etched image. She traced it with a finger looking very happy.

 

“Took only an extra minute or so, Miss. You will find the flight suit should fit over your normal clothes. Place your hand on the tablet and I will show you how to pack it all. Remember they have lockers up in the Leather-Wing Bay area. Just in case you don't like storing stuff at home. Have Jones point the way. ” Christopher said and Trisha did as she was asked.

 

They passed Tee-Kay as she escorted a young man who was rubbing his hand where a Leather-Wing must have bitten him. Jones nodded to her and took Trisha back to the Leather-Wing Bay now empty of recruits.

 

They found Madam Grace in her office going over records and by the look of it updating who had gotten picked as riders. Patrisha Libert was already sitting in one of the chairs. While Ben sat next to her.

 

Poking his head into the office Jones spoke up.

 

“Madam Grace, Trisha Libert needs to speak to you. ” Jones said ignoring the older Libert woman sitting in the chair with young Ben next to her.

 

“Send her in and please shut the door on your way out. ” Madam Grace said and Jones smiled as Trisha passed him.

 

“Mom, I have become a Leather-Wing rider. ” Trisha said before the door was fully shut and Jones stood guard hearing only murmured conversation until the yelling started.

“You did what!?” From the mother then words Jones couldn't quite make out fully.

Clearly, Patrisha Libert wasn't happy by the sound of her voice. Then, there was more talking and Trisha opened the door.

 

“Madam Grace requests that you join us, Mister Jones. ” Trisha said and Jones entered the room.

 

“Captain Jones, I need your honest answer. Has your Leather-Wing known as Nightmare ever visited you on her own? ” Madam Grace asked.

 

“Twice, Madam Grace. ” Jones answered right away.

 

“Did you ever show your Leather-Wing where you lived? ” Madam Grace asked next.

 

“No, my best guess is that she knows my scent so well that she sniffed me out. She knew which balcony was mine. ” Jones answered again.

 

“Leather-Wings are remarkable creatures when it comes to locating people by smell. Her Leather-Wing named Angel will go looking for your daughter if she doesn't see her in a few days time. You can forbid your daughter from coming here but be prepared to have a Leather-Wing sleeping on your balcony by the end of the week at the most. ” Madam Grace said sternly.

 

“That would be cool. ” Ben commented.

 

“Be quiet, Ben. ” His mother half scolded him.

 

“Come with me, Mrs. Libert. You as well, Ben and Jones. ” Madam Grace said and left the office not looking back. Trisha walked next to Jones and all of them went to the stall that held the Leather-Wing called Angel.

 

The Leather-Wing perked up at the sight of Trisha and moved forward slightly until Madam Grace held up her hand in the stop gesture.

“Ben, go ahead and enter the stall. ” Madam Grace said and before his mother could protest or stop him by grabbing her son. Ben was in front of the female Leather-Wing.

 

Angel bent down and sniff him. Perhaps smelling his sister on his clothing or detected this child was related to her new rider. Angel nuzzled Ben and started that deep purring sound Jones knew so well.

 

“Ben, you have been a bad boy. Time for me to whip you. ” Madam Grace said in a menacing tone and held up her riding crop if she was going to hit Ben.

 

Angel purred changed to a warning growl and the Leather-Wing moved so now her huge body was blocking Madam Grace from taking a step in. Madam Grace put away her riding crop making sure the Leather-Wing could see her doing it.

 

“It's okay, girl. I was just testing you. ” Madam Grace said and gave the hand signal for lie down. Angel did so and still blocking Madam Grace from entering the stall.

 

“You only have to worry about a Leather-Wing when they bare their teeth. Trisha, if you would make this hand gesture. Angel should back away. ” Madam Grace said showing Trisha the hand gesture.

 

As soon as Trisha copied it Angel moved away allowing Ben to walk out or one of the adults to enter.

 

As Ben walked out Madam Grace went into the stall to give Angel a treat from her pocket. Madam Grace then praised her for being such a good protector and rejoined the other adults.

 

“You see Mrs. Libert. I could send that boy next to any Leather-Wing here and he would be safer with them then anyone living on Eden. Once your daughter finishes her first month of classes and training she will have nearly full control over Angel here. There is a bond between them now. I strongly suggest that you allow your daughter to come here before her normal school hours. Otherwise, you will have to get used to having a pet Leather-Wing. ” Madam Grace said and walked away leaving the trio of Liberts behind.

 

“Come along, Ben. It's nearly time for school and your sister has her own job now. ” Mrs. Libert said. Jones waited until the mother and son were out of the door. Trisha just stood there a bit stunned.

 

“Come on, go ahead and grab your duffel bag. The girl's locker room is there. Pack your stuff away and you need to report back here early to care for Angel” Jones said pointing out the double doors to the woman's changing room.

 

Trisha did as she was told and left soon after to attend to her normal school classes.

Jones prepared Nightmare while he waited for his team to return. One by one they came by with a new rider. The newer riders went to the locker rooms while his team prepared for the day's work.

 

Soon after they took off into the air.

 

Less then an hour later Jones found himself outside a clearing high up on one of the many wide tree branches of a huge tree. Part of the mission was to stay in place and record the Rippers until a few hours passed. Jones ordered his people to dial in their sniper dart rifles and report back everything they needed to know to make the shot.

“You know, I never ever thought, I would be stealing something. ” Jones commented as he observed the pack of Rippers. Nesting mothers guarding the eggs as the rest of the large pack rested in loose rings.

 

“Well, I don't think if we ask nicely. The Rippers will give up an egg. ” Mike said quietly if the Rippers could hear them.

 

Jones's other two teammates were on the other side observing the Rippers as well. The plan was to wait till a chance arrived for one team or the other could swoop in for the egg grab.

 

“They want to study the egg, hatch it and raise a small pack of them. You read the same mission briefing as I did. They already have a holding area for the little Rippers. ” Jones said using their person to person comm.

 

“Know your enemy and all that. ” Mike said using the zoom feature on his helmet to get an up-close view of the nest. He checked his sniper rifle for what had to be the hundred time.

 

“Knowledge is power, kid. Just like I know, you and Trisha have been seeing each other. ” Jones said and watched as Mike looked at him. Jones could imagine the kid's face behind the tinted visor glass.

 

“Tee-Kay told me. Lucky for you that Madam Grace doesn't know. Kudos for sneaking in the girl as many times as you did. ” Jones said.

 

“Do you want me to break up with her? ” Mike asked.

 

“No, I want you to man up and take her on dates then meet the parents. Wait until a month has passed and tell Madam Grace that your dating Trisha. She will assume you two met on the job and started a romance there. You will never be on the same team, but for good reasons. ” Jones explained and saw the Rippers moving toward the other side of the clearing.

A pack of the Rippers on the hunt brought back what look like to be a pretty good size wild pig. The lead hunter carrying the creature in his mouth.

 

“You dart the mother guarding the eggs. I will swoop in with Nightmare and grab an egg. ” Jones said and let his team know he was going in after opening the shared channel once more.

 

Jones was barely on Nightmare's back when the nesting mother Ripper went down with a sleeping dart in her neck.

Jones landed a few yards away and low ran to the nest. He barely secured an egg in a mesh netting like bag when a Ripper call screamed cut through the air. Running back to his Leather-Wing he mounted quickly then gave the order to fly. He barely had time to clip himself in when the first running Ripper snapped at Nightmare's tail. That creature went down a second later with a dart in the front part of its body.

 

“Nice shooting, kid. Mission complete. We have observed them for the required hours and got an egg. ” Jones said over the comm link looking back over his shoulder seeing the pack of Rippers running and jumping up at him as Nightmare gathered more height by flapping her wings.

 

When they returned home they discovered some teams before them were successful while others were not.

 

Jones was asked to escort the egg down to the lower levels. The egg had been placed in an incubator with a few other Ripper eggs.

 

Julie Knight was waiting for him when he stepped off the freight elevator with the two lab assistants.

 

“Mister Jones. I need your personal opinion on some security measures. ” Julie Knight said and they walked ongoing through various metal doors.

 

When they passed through three vault-like doors then had to wait for one to close behind before the next one opened. Jones knew they were coming to a very secured area as they passed armed guards.

 

They came to a room that at first glance appeared to be a security monitoring room with various screens looking over a jungle scene. Then Jones noticed the jungle far below the windows.

 

The chamber below was the size of a large gym and looked like part of the jungle outside. The trees were too small to come from Eden and Jones figured the rain forest trees came from Earth.

 

“This is our holding area. The floor, walls and ceiling are all reinforced. We have cameras everywhere covering nearly every inch of the ground below. It has a small Ecosystem already and only one way in or out. Which we use to introduce new species. ” Julie Knight said.

 

“Bring up all the security measures and the design of this place. ” Jones asked and Julie nodded to one of her workers.

 

Jones spent a good twenty minutes looking over it all.

 

“What are you really planning to put in there? ” Jones asked after looking over everything.

Julie smiled at Jones and brought up a video from a game trail camera.

 

It was hard to see at first until the camera switched to night vision mode as the twilight hour set in. A large four tusk boar was at the bank of a river. Something exploded out of the water taking the creature and killing it almost instantly. The Drac-ko could barely be seen.

 

Jones peered closer and saw the creature had camouflage itself almost perfectly.

 

“This was taken just outside the deep jungle. You're looking at the first recorded Drac-ko sighting ever to be caught on video.” Julie said then going on.

 

“We already learned these creatures like to hunt in low light or night time. Not to mention they are expert swimmers. There will be an official announcement to all teams to be on high alert until further notice. The holding area is just in case measure if we ever catch one alive. We are going to test it first on other dangerous predators like Rippers. ” Julie said waving a hand at the area below.

 

Jones looked out on the jungle-like room noticing the walls were smooth and the security room they were in was hanging from the ceiling. He looked back to see a few very heavily armed guards flanking the door they entered into. Looking back into the jungle room he saw the gun turrets in each corner and noticed the small vents on the ceiling.

“Poison gas from the vents? ” Jones asked Mrs. Knight.

 

“The reverse. The room is airtight and we simply take all of the air out. ” Julie answered and Jones nodded. Poison might weaken or slow something on Eden down, but nothing he knew of could live long in an airless vacuum.

 

“I take it that I'm not the only security expert you have gone too. From what I can tell, you got everything covered. If you excuse me I have a Leather-Wing to tend too. ” Jones said and left the room.

 

Julie thanked him before he left.

 

It was a little while before Jones was passed through various vault-like security doors. He made his way back to the Leather-Wing Bay.

 

Crystal had already gotten his gear off of Nightmare and most of it was off to one side. Since her legal guardian was Madam Grace. She got to stay longer then the other kids. Crystal had packed away his gear exactly how he liked it. Something about how Crystal did things nagged at him.

 

“Crystal, how good is your memory? I have noticed you never forget anything. ” Jones asked curious to see if she knew he just now suspected about her.

 

“All of my teachers tell me I'm really smart. Did I pack something wrong? ” Crystal asked looking over at the stuff she unloaded with a puzzled look.

 

“No, it's perfect. I dare say you have an Eidetic memory. I have noticed, that once I tell you something or show you that you never forget it. ” Jones commented putting some praise in his tone.

 

“Eidetic memory. ” Crystal said slowly working out the sound of the first word.

 

“Sometimes called photographic memory. Just like taking a picture and able to see it in your head any time you like. We got this new rider named Trisha. She is from Earth just like me and she might need your help. Her Leather-Wing is Angel. I got a feeling that Madam Grace is going to have me train her and I need someone really smart to be there too. Trisha has a little brother about your age and he likes Leather-Wings too. ” Jones said and Crystal nodded now understanding.

 

Nightmare perhaps bored or just feeling hungry moved out of the stall and went to the open bay door. Jones watched as Nightmare took off and figure she went off to catch herself a fish.

 

“Can I tell Madam Grace that I have an Eidetic memory? ” Crystal asked handing him some of the gear he would take home with him.

 

“Sure, Be sure to say I think you have it. There might be some little test you have to take to be sure. I knew, I picked the brightest ward. ” Jones said and got a quick hug from Crystal then she ran off to tell Madam Grace what Jones had said about her.

 

Jones passed by the office to see Madam Grace nodding as Crystal was talking to her. Madam Grace looked over at him and smiled as he walked by.

 

Jones came home to dinner waiting for him and questions on why he was late.

Jones carefully answered Tiffany and mention the holding room briefly.

 

“That's cute, you think my mom could keep a secret like that from me. She has been going on about that room every time we video chat. ” Tiffany said kissing Jones on the lips then returning to the dining table.

 

They talked about work then started watching a movie. Before long, Tiffany was feeling frisky. Jones always up to please his wife joined her in the bedroom.

Chapter 16: Reflections

 

They asked Ada if she would clean up the table. Ada did so and enjoyed it when the Jones asked rather then demand. Once the table was cleared and clear of all the dishes. Ada went to the balcony to tend to her plants. Then Ada found herself looking out over the city processing random data.

 

If she was human someone would say she was daydreaming. Ada wondered if there was something wrong with her programming. After running all internal checks on her system. They came back okay a few seconds later. Ada went on scanning and watching the city below as people went about their business.

 

Tiffany awoke first. Happy to see she beat her husband again in waking up first.

As she got ready she mentally planned out the day for the newest rider who would be placed on her team. In a month's time, he will be taking his first real long flight as a sort of rite of passage.

 

Tiffany stopped as she caught Ada on the balcony apparently lost in daydreaming. Which was silly considering she was an android, but the way she stood there looking relaxed.

Tiffany walked out onto the balcony and Ada turned to her.

 

“Is everything okay, Ada? ” Tiffany asked wondering if the android spotted something.

“Yes, Mrs. Jones. All systems are functioning at peak levels. ” Ada answered.

 

“Funny question I have to ask you, how do you feel? ” Tiffany asked.

 

“As an android, I have no feelings. I was programmed with responses to mimic emotions. If I were to answer your question, I would say that I'm content. ” Ada answered.

 

“I think you have feelings. I noticed you seem happy when we ask rather then demand something. You hum or sing softly when you're tending to your plants. My husband hasn't noticed these little things because he is focused on me and his job. Given time, he will see that you're becoming more human-like. ” Tiffany said.

 

“I'm one of the most advanced models ever created. It is possible. ” Ada said seeming lost in thought as she processed what Tiffany had said.

 

“I have a little secret myself to share with you. Just between us girls for now until I'm sure. I think, I just might be pregnant. I have a doctor's appointment to be sure. ” Tiffany said and swore Ada's eyes went wide with joy.

 

“I shall update myself with all child care information and congratulations to you Mrs. Jones. Shall I prepare breakfast now? ” Ada asked.

 

“Well, if your not too tired or I mean if your battery power is still good? ” Tiffany asked back and Ada informed her she had more then sixty percent left before she needed recharging.

 

“Okay, but I'm helping. ” Tiffany said and together they made breakfast.

 

It wasn't long until Milo came out and Tiffany joined him at the table. They ate and left soon after to start their normal exercise routines each of them preferred.

 

Ada had offered up to clean the table before Jones started clearing the table. Just before Tiffany left she saw Ada going to her charging station where she would spend most of her day.

 

Jones arrived to find Trisha, Mike, and Amy waiting for him as they prepared their Leather-Wings. Jones looked for William then Madam Grace came up to him.

 

“William put in a transfer. He has gone off to live on one of the outer islands. Apparently, he fancies a girl on that island. You trained him so well I made him a captain. You're to train Trisha on the basics and for the next month with your team like all other teams will be given easy jobs at first. ” Madam Grace said and Jones did recall Williams said he was video chatting with a girl on an island. Jones didn't put much stock in online romance, but who knew.

 

“Yes, Madam Grace. If it's okay with you. I would like Crystal to help out. Trisha can learn a lot from her. ” Jones asked.

 

“Yes, as her guardian. I give you permission to take her out flying. I have to thank you for doing that for me, with my duties here. I have so little time with her. You are right about Crystal's Eidetic memory. I tested her myself and would have caught it in time. There isn't a hand signal she doesn't know or a single rule. I dare say, she might have my job in twenty years. ” Madam Grace said with a smile and walked away.

 

Jones had recalled that in twenty years time Crystal would be physically a decade older due to the slower aging process. Jones briefly wondered what a mature Crystal would be like.

Jones introduced Crystal to Trisha and together they went over the basics. Then Trisha was called away to attend to her class. Jones spent the hour double checking everything and getting caught up with small talk with his team. Crystal had to leave as well for her normal school classes.

 

From their talks Amy sounded like she was bucking for a captain's spot on Paradise Island. She heard of the training ground there and loved teaching children. Losing her close friend William seemed to affect her a little to make her own way. Jones made a mental note to look over replacements.

 

Trisha returned looking a bit sleepy and Jones recalled the way the teachers like to lecture on. Once they were airborne all sleepiness vanished and Trisha looked wide awake now. Jones could tell just from the way a rider sat in the saddle that Trisha was a natural with animals.

Jones called out the instructions over the share comm link seeing her video stream in the corner of his heads up display.

 
 

Today was about flying in tight formation and going over some aerial tricks. As a new Leather-Wing, Angel followed the others and mostly copied their flight path.

 

As a first-timer, she did good and Jones knew with practice she would be a true rider. Jones decided to take his team to the OverWatch Cafeteria.

 

“Time we show the new girl some of the perks. ” Jones said as they touched down on one of the landing pads.

 

Trisha seemed surprised when Jones gave the hand command to the Leather-Wings for home. He explained to Trisha that Madam Grace would send them back in an hour's time.

As they entered the OverWatch Cafeteria. Trisha was in awe of the place. Trisha told him she thought it was like a cafe area of a mall and library put together.

 

Jones explained now she was becoming a rider she was free to come here anytime she wanted. Including bringing a guest or two. His team also explained the exercise rooms slash entertainment areas a floor below.

 

Jones showed her the more quiet area where most Riders liked to eat their meals in an almost peaceful setting.

 

All too soon the lunch hour was over with and they were back to work. By the end of the workday, Trisha had the basic stuff pretty much down.

 

Jones got home to find the entire Knight family waiting for him in his apartment. Jones had caught them in mid-conversation about something Edward Knight was explaining to them.

 

“We just made contact with a town just off the coast in the Northern ice lands if you can believe it. Turns out, they knew we were coming but decided to wait for us to make a shipping lane to them. I'm told they have something like dire wolves as animal companions. ” Mr. Knight was saying. He paused when he saw that his son-in-law finally came home.

Tiffany was looking very excited about something.

 

“Honey, have a seat. I have some really good news. ” Tiffany said and Jones took a seat next to Brutus. Tiffany's attention went to her seated parents.

 

“How would you feel about becoming grandparents? ” Tiffany asked her parents.

Edward Knight smiled and Julie jumped up from her seat to hug her daughter.

 

Jones was overjoyed. The only downside that he could see at first was he had no family to tell. Then he recalled Smitty's family. There were practically his kin now.

 

“There goes my plan in making the spare bedroom my man cave. ” Jones said jokingly and got up to embrace his wife.

 

“Yeah, seventeen months or eighteen months from now we will have a son or daughter to raise. I will be allowed to fly for a while longer. Me and Blood-Wing are going to get a lot of time on the ground while your off flying. ” Tiffany said and Jones knew it was going to be hard on Tiffany staying out of the air.

 

“What about missing work? ” Jones asked.

 

“I can teach classes and who wouldn't want to learn from the great Tee-Kay? Not to mention I can help out with the Leather-Wings. Madam Grace will have me busy in the bay area for sure. ” Tiffany answered.

 

“So, did I hear right. There is a settlement in the North ice land. ” Jones asked of Edward Knight.

 

“Yes. One of the sea ships made contact with a tribal-like settlement and they are more then happy to trade goods with us. They will be sending their diplomats to us in about a month along with goods. Now your part of the family you will get the pleasure of meeting them. For now, we are creating a shipping route through the ice. I have been in contact with them and they know of paths through the mountains. If all goes well, we will cut a road through the Northern mountains in the coming months. You will hear all of this on the news this evening. ” Edward Knight explained and Jones had to admit he was curious to meet these people who managed to live in the coldest part on Eden.

 

The rest of the evening passed in small talk and Jones listened.

 

The next month seemed to fly by as Jones stayed busy. Teaching all he learned about Leather-Wings and helping Tiffany preparing their apartment for a baby not due to arrive for over a year and a half. Then came the day when the diplomats arrived.

 

Jones and Tee-Kay stood next to their Leather-Wings a few yards away from the Knight family and the council members. The Elders were there as well along with others put in charge in arranging the meeting.

 

The ship came into the dock and crew aboard prepared the way for a group of people who looked much like an average person on Eden. The differences being that they were much paler due to lacking the slight tan everyone had.

 

Jones felt in awe when a wolf-like creature larger than a bear. The wolf-like creature moved as gracefully as a cat and showed to be intelligent as the woman rider barely had to give the beast a command.

 

Its legs must have been six feet long alone from what Jones could see. Julie Knight looked excited by the wolf creature more so then anyone. An older man Jones guessed to be the girl's father and two young men most likely to be his sons also departed from the ship. The young men were carrying something under a small fur blanket between a stretcher.

 

Edward Knight stepped forward and greeted them. There were handshakes and Jones was surprised to hear them speak English so well. Even Edward Knight commented on this.

 

“Chief Era, your English is getting better. ” Edward Knight said.

 

“Yes, we learned more from the ship's crew on the way here. ” Chief Era answered back and introduce his family.

 

The daughter's name was simply Mona and brothers were Patrick and Sam.

 

“A gift for your family. ” Chief Era said and uncovered the object under the small blanket.

The largest bear skull Jones had ever seen was there. Julie Knight stepped forward-looking it over.

 

“It must have been twelve feet at least. ” Julie commented and Chief Era smiled before saying “Thirteen feet and I lost a good arm to the fiend. ” Chief Era held up his right stump where part of his arm should have been.

 

A few guards step forward and took the skull away and Julie told them to take it to her lab.

 

“On behalf of the people of Eden may we present our gift. ” Edward Knight said and motioned for a female model android to bring forth a case. In the crowd, she seemed to go unnoticed until that point of time.

 

The Northern people of Eden looked so shocked to see a human-like robot and stared at her so long they almost forgot to look at the now-open case.

“This here is something that will change your body to heal faster and even regrow your limbs within days. I won't lie to you. Regrowing your limbs will be painful at first. ” Edward Knight said and motioned for a medic to take the injection gun.

The medic showed them how it worked by pretending to inject himself. Edward Knight spoke up once they understood.

 

“From our talks on the ship's radio. We will provide you enough for all your people as a sign of good faith on our trade agreement. We are very interested in those mountain paths your people have used to travel from coast to coast. We never thought there was a way through those goat infested mountains. ” Edward Knight said and Chief Era stepped forward to be the first to be injected.

 

His sons were next then his daughter Mona who dismounted was the last person to be given the treatment.

 

Jones noticed for the first time the young woman had missing fingers. He had seen such cases before due to frostbite. He half admired the people who could live in such a cold area on Eden.

 

Edward Knight introduced his family next and even pointed out his son-in-law.

 

A large tent had been set up and it was clear that Chief Era was feeling the effects of the regeneration treatment. His Daughter Mona and her wolf creature were led off to a quiet corner to enjoy the prepared food. It was no surprise that nearly everyone distanced themselves from her and her animal companion.

 

Patrick and Sam did most of the greeting of all the important people. They had heard stories of the great cities like Alpha and Utopia. Ships and travelers, who somehow made it into the ice land were welcomed if they were willing to tell stories or news of other places.

 

Jones and Tee-Kay joined the party and talked briefly with the chief's sons. All too soon they had to go back to guard duty together. They were enjoying talking about baby names when Mona showed up minus her large wolf creature.

 
 

“You are Tiffany Knight Jones and Milo Jones. ” Mona half asked to be sure she got the names right.

 

“Yes, Most people call me Tee-Kay, but you can call me Tiffany and my husband prefers being called Jones instead of Milo. ” Tee-Kay said.

 

“Your Leather-Wings are like Nana. The creature, I was riding. We call them Long Fangs, where I'm from. ” Mona said looking over at the Leather-Wings and keeping her distance for now.

 

Tee-Kay introduced each Leather-Wing and offered to take Mona for a ride.

 

“I have a spare harness here and Blood-Wing is so used to people. ” Tee-Kay said.

 

Slowly Mona agreed and Jones watched as the young woman was shown how to wear the harness then climb onto the Leather-Wing. They took off after a short run and Mona whooping with joy far above.

 

Jones waited for nearly fifth-teen minutes before they returned. Mona returned to the party and it was days before Jones saw her again.

 

As the son-in-law to the Knight family. He was given a special task to deliver goods to the Northern people. An unused large house that sat almost against the wall and the mountains was officially made into an embassy.

 

As he flew over the city Jones noticed mining trucks and men working on opening a path Northward. Jones guessed even with the advanced technology and perhaps even using Androids it would be months before a narrow road could be made. Jones guessed it could be well over hundreds of miles away. Stone walls were going to become a common sight inside the city as the price of stone blocks would drop to almost nothing.

 

Nightmare came to the landing area dropping the large bundles of clothing first then settling into a landing spot.

 
 

Patrick and Sam emerged then smiled at the new clothing. Currently, they adapted clothing most Eden people wore, but far less. Since they were not used to the warmer climate. The pair of men could have been extras in some barbarian movie. Jones understood the clothing he was dropping off was some specially made clothing for harsh cold environments like the Arctic back on Earth. The design taken from Earth and recently made with materials found here on Eden. The clothing was thinner then wearing layers of furs and did a lot to maintain body heat.

 

Chief Era with his newly grown arm waved at Jones as he dismounted.

 

Layers of furs and anything made from bone was in a small pile for Jones to return with. A tablet with drawn pictures including text that detailed where each fur and bone came from.

 

“Strange, your people want fur and bones for such a gift. ” Chief Era said as Jones secured the load onto Nightmare.

 

“Julie Knight and her team are very interested in the few creatures up north. Your fur and the bone buttons will give them something to study. ” Jones explained seeing the younger family members taking delight looking over the Arctic type clothing.

“That DNA stuff, I heard about on that tablet. We have been learning so much and I will have much to tell others when we return home. ” Chief Era said smiling.

 

“Are your children staying? ” Jones asked.

 

“They are young adults and they have much to learn. I worry more about my daughter and her Long Fang. She has a free spirit to her, unlike her younger brothers. ” Chief Era said.

 

“Well, No one has a private claim to the mountains. It's my understanding your Long Fangs are good climbers in steep areas. My wife has told me your gonna be like wardens to all travelers in the mountains. ” Jones said.

 

“Long Fangs are good at many things like climbing up slopes, running and in a pack they can even survive a blizzard. I hear you all get rain for months. We would welcome such a blessing up North. We get the heavy snow and I seen entire villages buried under it. ” Chief Era said and looked at the mountainside in a new light before going on.

 

“I like this warden idea. It will give my people a meaningful purpose. The other North tribes won't care to travel here at first, but once word spreads the trading will be very good. ” Chief Era said and Jones wondered if the man would move his entire tribe here to Eden or a spot halfway between.

 

They made small talk and pretty soon Jones returned to the Leather-Wing Bay to drop off the furs and bones for study.

 

Jones returned home soon after and that evening he talked to his wife over dinner.

“I think Chief Era is a lot smarter then we think. He reminds me of your father. ” Jones said as he knelt to enjoy dinner.

 

“I won't be surprised if Chief Era's people did move closer to Eden. It must be a lot warmer in those mountains and soon enough there will be a road. Of course, there will be stone walls and metal gates along the way. We don't need monster bears wandering down from the North. ” Tiffany said if wondering what it meant for Alpha City.

 

“Travelers will transport goods, food, and will need a place to rest. I get the feeling that Chief Era knows this. He was very interested in trade and I suspect he will have a place halfway in between. ” Jones said then thanking Ada as she refilled his glass of tea.

 

Tiffany nodded at that and she seemed lost in thought for a few minutes. Jones wondered where her thoughts led her at times. Clearly, she had her mother's intelligence and perhaps her father's cunning.

 

“I think tomorrow will be your team's turn to go out to Beta Site. It's become a rite of passage for all new riders. ” Tiffany said recalling how she already took her latest new team member out for the long flight.

 

“I think so. How are our pet Rippers doing?” Jones asked referring to the Rippers held deep within the mountain complex.

 

“Mother says they are full-grown and just as nasty as the wild ones. Last time, since we chatted on the subject they have gotten very good at hunting rabbits. Her team has already learned a few new things about their hunting methods, but nothing Earth-shaking as you would say. ” Tiffany answered. Jones smiled at her use of slang.

 

They finished the evening in each other's arms watching another movie then shuffled off to bed.

1