Eden 17-18
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17: Massacre

 

Jones awoke to a loud beeping and Tiffany cussing a dirty word as they both scramble out of bed to look at their smart devices.

 

The message marked as urgent and report to Leather-Wing Bay A.S.A.P. could be seen then the loud beeping restarted.

 

Ada had their flight suits ready and the couple scrambled to get them on. Then they took the time to double-check each other.

 

Next they ready their weapons and before Jones was out the door. He heard the front door chime that meant someone was ringing the doorbell.

 

Jones answered to find Trisha ready and looking only a bit sleepy.

 

“Is this part of my training? ” Trisha asked placing her hand over her Smartwatch to muffle the beeping.

 

“No. Something must be wrong to be waking us in the middle of the night. We are leaving now. ” Jones said.

 

They all left together and were not the first to be in the bay area. Teams were half-formed and everyone was gathered around a group of people including Madam Grace who was barking orders at teenagers getting every single Leather-Wing ready.

 

Jones noted the various outfits and new some of them to be guard, OverWatch crew, and their aids.

 

Jones was pleased to see his own team was one of the first to form up first with Tiffany's team coming in second.

 

“Attention! Those with a full team step forward. ” Madam Grace called out.

Jones stepped forward with his team next to him.

 

A man with an oversize tablet step forward and started a video.

 

“This was uploaded from Beta Site a short while ago. ” The man said and everyone watched the video closely.

 

Judging from the stone walls and the pool of water it had to be a lower room at Beta Site. The prisoners were tossing nets into the water and bringing up fish. Sometimes an oversize fish needed more then one man to pull it up. A trio of bored-looking prison guards with automatic rifles stood chatting next to the door while two kept half of their attention on those bringing in fish.

 

Jones had just learned where their Beta Site's supply of fish came from.

 

Then something happened with one prisoner. He was pulling on the net and a few more prisoners step forward to help him. Something came out of the water and Jones watched in horror as the first man was tore in half. The other two prisoners were ripped apart by claws in the next moment. The lizard-like creature paused to look around the room.

 

One prison guard hit a red button on the wall and the trio of guards opened fire on the creature that looked sort of like a Chinese dragon. The lizard-like monster was covered in thick looking scales with some jagged scales points sticking upward. As it moved the color of the scales shifted to blend in with the stone under its feet. Its eyes were large and gleamed with deadly intelligence.

 

“Drac-ko” Mike whispered now the creature could be seen clearly.

 

What made the video worse to watch was three more emerge out of the water and tore into the other men. Prisoners, two guards went down and the monsters barely missed the last guard as he fled from the room ducking through the security door.

 

It closed behind him, but the Drac-Kos were ramming the door using their shoulders.

 

The camera changed showing the hallway and the security door being battered. The video changed as it switched to another camera. It showed the last prison guard running for his life. He vanished up the stairs then the video ended with the creature busting down the door.

 

“The lower levels were lost within minutes and security doors to the upper levels are holding for now. This will be a rescue mission. Guards, the prison warden, and low-level threat prisoners are your targets to protect. Aircraft have been scrambled as well with secure holding areas already ahead of you will take the more dangerous prisoners if any survived. Your to leave now. ” Madam Grace said stepping forward and dismissed each team.

 

Jones ran to Nightmare to see Crystal had ready his Leather-Wing. She looked sleepy and Jones told her she did a great job as he quickly checked over everything.

 

Jones was strapped in and in the air before he was mentally ready. The flight gave him time to gather his courage and mentally prepare himself for what he might find.

 

Off to his right an aircraft screamed by and they caught some of the wake. Jones saw it was a small cargo aircraft and wondered how many they managed to get on short notice. At any given time there was a small fraction of aircraft at Alpha City. Most were busy or far away on long trips making their rounds.

 

No doubt some urgent message was sent out with the promise of pay for those in the area.

An hour later they arrived at what appeared to be a mass exodus as aircrafts landed and people were loaded on. Prisoners in yellow and orange outfits were loaded on with armed guards watching them.

 

What made the scene so serious was the injured. Missing arms, hands, and even one or both legs. Medics were already there tending to them. Most injuries were burned shut or compression bandages applied. Too much blood loss would mean death for some and even the regeneration gene needed time to work.

 

As the Leather-wings came down a group of guards were coming forward.

 

“Thank God, your here. They are on the mid-levels now. We don't think they can break through the last upper levels. ” The guard said looking back at the open doorway.

 

Jones saw a sight that he never thought, he would see. A guard and a prisoner with an automatic rifle were on watch with their full attention on the stairs below. The prisoner's orange outfit stained heavily with blood.

 

As Jones stared at the odd sight a guard spoke up.

 

“He fought one of those things. Saved that guard's life next to him. They barely made it out. I will see he gets a full pardon. ” The guard next to Jones said and looked up as more teams of Leather-Wings came down.

 

“Banshee, Protect the medics and let them know about your fancy laser gun. Remember that limbs will grow back and prepare yourself mentally. I have a feeling they will ask you to cut a man's bleeding limb off in order to save his life. ” Jones ordered Trisha through the person to person comm in their flight helmet.

 

He spoke and gestured using hand signals as he ordered his team into action. Each of them and their Leather-Wing taking up a defensive position as they watched over everything. As they stood guard and the aircrafts trickled in soon after.

 

Only a few more prisoners came out from the tower and those had a haunted look in their eyes. Some of these men were nearly covered in blood that wasn't their own.

 

Nightmare growled from time to time her attention focused on the doorway that led down to the stairway. Jones knew she was catching the scent of something she didn't like. She stopped when dawn came and there was hardly anyone left to save. The warden had been taken away on a Leather-Wing as Tee-Kay departed with some of the walking wounded. Mississippi's aircraft arrived and took on a good number of wounded. Her own crew armed and looking as fierce as a band of war mercenaries.

 

“Any of you fuck turds even think about trying to take my ship. I will personally take your balls off myself. ” Missy announced to the prisoners as they were loaded on. Few look fit enough to cause trouble and none of them met her eyes. Missy's hand resting on a long deadly looking knife on her belt.

 

The guard and the prisoner watching the door were the last two to leave and Jones offered to take the prisoner.

 

As Jones stepped up to the man he looked down at the rifle he was holding. He removed the magazine and empty it of the round in the chamber. Then held out the rifle for Jones to take.

Jones nodded taking the rifle to sling it over his back.

 

“Your riding with me. The guard will go with that young woman over there. ” Jones said and they walked back to his Leather-Wing.

 

Nightmare snarled at the prisoner as he came close and Jones had to step in between them. She sniffed some more then slowly closed her lips but kept on growling.

 

“It's the blood. I'm half-covered in a Drac-Ko's blood. I only managed to wound it before it nearly took my head off. Fastest fucker, I have ever seen. The name is Wily Willie by the way. ” The prisoner said and stripped off his orange shirt then tossed it.

 

This seemed to ease Nightmare and Jones was able to coax her into letting Willie onto the back saddle after he put on a harness.

 

They flew back leaving Beta Site behind them. When Jones landed back at the Leather-Wing bay he found tables with water and snacks waiting. Guards were handling the few prisoners and the wounded were taken away to medical areas.

 

“This man, Willie is a hero. Saved a guard's life and watched our backs as we got the wounded out. Treat him, right. ” Jones said to the pair of guards that step forward to take Willie away.

 

Jones looked over his team and saw Trisha retreating to the alcove where Angel was led off too. Grabbing two bottles of water he headed for the alcove stall.

 

He found her crying and huddled against her Leather-Wing, Angel. Clearly needing the creature's closeness for emotional support.

 

“Banshee, you did real good out there. ” Jones said knowing this because he watched her video feed from her flight helmet on the way back along with the others on his team.

 

“Look at me, I'm a mess. ” Trisha said wiping at her eyes.

 

“Shit. You think your the only one I saw crying. I have been in a few battles and I never seen anything like those wounded. I have seen men shot, blown up, and burned. You got the makings of a field medic. Maybe, even good enough to be on Tee-Kay's team. ” Jones said knowing he would have to put in a request to move Trisha or Mike off his team soon enough.

 

“When it comes to combat, my team is the best. Tee-Kay's are the best of the best when it comes to riders. Besides, It's against the rules for couples to be on the same team.

 

Madam Grace would whip my ass if she knew I been keeping that bit of knowledge from her this long. You will see Mike often enough on your free time. ” Jones said and handed her the plastic bottle of water.

 

Trisha nodded and smiled at the thought she get to be on Tee-Kay's team.

 

The rest of the workday was spent as extra security and making reports. Jones even put in a request for Trisha a.k.a Banshee to be promoted to field medic trainee on Tee-Kay's team.

The very next day teams of heavily armed men returned to Beta Site via aircrafts and retook the Beta Site prison. The level of carnage and the very few prisoners they found hiding spoke volumes on the carnage of Drac-Kos could make.

 

News of the prison came in that the Drac-kos were gone and the watergate was secured then welded shut. Jones heard Steel-X doors were used to replace the normal metal doors that were busted down.

 

The warden was arrested for failing to follow security protocol by having the watergate up all the time to catch fish. It was also discovered that he had been skimming credits meant for balancing the food budget. The entire mess had started because one man was a bit too greedy for wealth.

 

Someone had leaked out the prison photos of the carnage and there were even protests over the next few days.

 

Prison sentences were reduced and only the most dangerous of the prisoners were taken back. Those who were deemed as low to medium risk were given a choice. There was a road that had to be made through the mountains. The demand for workers was so high and they needed men or women to cut through the rocky areas. They would work off their prison sentences living in the mountains in mobile camps. The mobile camps were set up and would be moved over the next few years as the road was made upward then out toward the far coast.

 

Jones even spoke up for Willie at his hearing and his only request after he was pardon was to go back to Beta Site as a guard. Jones recalled the little speech he gave.

 

“I don't like cities and farm life is boring to me. I get into trouble when I'm free and Beta Site is my home. I rather protect it then be a guest there. ” Willie said simply and he was told they would consider his request.

 

The next time Jones saw Willie he was dressed in a guard uniform when Jones's team was making a food drop off as the cleanup operations started. By the time body parts were identified and the list of those killed or missing was posted. Less than ten percent of the prisoners had made it out. A lot of the guards were on that list and some listed as missing in action were presumed dead.

 

For a while, the name Fisher-King made the news again when It was confirmed he died in the attack. Few people knew that his severed head was found in a corner of his cell. That gory detail only Jones knew because he was in one of the meetings like the other Rider captains. Crystal's uncle was also killed. Only his hand had been found and fingerprints were used to ID him. His cell had been drenched in his blood.

 

Security videos showed some prisoners had fled into the jungle just before dawn. The Drac-kos left soon after the same way through the wider doors that were left open. Jones wasn't the only one to notice that Drac-kos only appeared around evening then left in the early dawn hours. Every frame was looked over and even Julie Knight had theorized they were low light to night time hunters. The deepest part of the flooded jungle was their home.

 

It wasn't until a week later that Drac-Kos were spotted again. Dallas's team had been the ones to witness their handy work in the wild.

 

Jones and the other riders were called into a meeting room where they all were shown a video. Julie Knight was there wearing her normal lab coat. Madam Grace standing off to one corner.

 

It showed a field with a small pack of Rippers guarding a single nest. Something alerted the creatures and panic among the Rippers was clear as something began taking each one down unseen in the late evening light. The field below was in deeper shadows.

 

As Jones watched the recorded video he realized it was more then one Drac-ko killing the Rippers. The speed and teamwork of the creatures told Jones these things were deadly fucking smart.

 

“This is Cowboy. All team members prepare to get the fuck out of here. We are abandoning the mission. ” Dallas's voice said over the audio of the video. Jones thought Cowboy made the right call to bug out.

 

Jones thinking it was best they left before the Drac-Kos noticed you.

 

The video cut out soon after to play again with the audio muted. Julie Knight stepped forward to speak.

 

“That was recorded near Beta Site. My husband is trying to convince the other council members to move the prison somewhere else. The only problem is we have no place for the more dangerous prisoners just yet. I think, I fully understand why my husband practices his sword fighting nearly every day now. As you noticed each Drac-Ko has a unique skin pattern and we confirmed these are the same ones that attack Beta Site. We don't know why they left the deeper jungle, but we think they are rogues. If these creatures move in packs then our theory holds. It's been twenty years since a Drac-ko has been seen so close to Alpha City. ” Julie said her eyes seeing the video on repeat play mode with the audio muted.

Madam Grace stepped forward to take the stage.

 

“All missions into the deeper jungle are being called off for now. Only Ripper baiting and supply runs to Beta Site will be allowed. For now, we will be focusing on setting up island routes and helping out on supply runs into the mountains. Some of you will be away for a week at a time or more. I'm sending only the best combat teams out to the unknown islands. All of you are dismissed. ” Madam Grace said and Jones returned to his normal duties.

 

Jones was pleased to see his request for Trisha to be moved to Tee-Kay's team had been approved. In a footnote, Jones listed possible romantic interest to Mike a.k.a Kid was the reason Trisha couldn't be on the same team. This after a glowing review and after-action report from Jones. He focused on Trisha's work with his team including her work at Beta Site.

 

Amy soon left Jones team to help out on training on Paradise Island. Jones got his replacements soon after.

 

A teenager named Paul Logan and a slightly older woman by the name of Tina Shift were his newest team members. Tina was their new very experienced medic and Paul was one of the newest riders to join up. Jones knew his face because it been the same young man that Tiffany had been ordered to give a tour during recruitment day.

 

Like Trisha, Tina carried one of the laser guns that fire burst shot or a longer cutting shot. Paul liked to use his sniper rifle and carried a side pistol as a backup weapon.

 

Jones took them on a few routine missions and got a good feeling they been well trained. It wasn't long after that they were assigned to fly one of the long-range missions.

 

Tiffany's team had already been sent out to fly over the mountains. Her team was scouting for the best paths for the roads to be built on. Each of them wouldn't return home for a whole two weeks.

 

They argued who got the worst mission. Jones thought the long flight over island to island would be harder then the short trips Tiffany would have to make.

 

Tiffany said camping out on cold rocks and seeing nothing but goats was worse. In the end, Jones let her win the argument and they made love before they needed sleep.

 

For once Jones skipped his morning exercise in favor of getting his team out early.

 

The journey for the first week had them going from island to island so the new rider Paul got a feel for his Leather-Wing, Blackie. Tina Shift rode upon Moon Dancer and Jones learned she was a strong independent woman. There were times when Jones forgot she was even female.

 

Those rare times they camp outside a town she casually mentioned she had to take a piss or told a dirty joke around the little cook fires they made. Her short hair and build from a distance could be mistaken for a slender guy.

 

Chapter 18: A Friend in Freetown

 

They were coming into their second week and past Paradise Island.

 

They found one large island that looked suitable for a town. They started flying over on the island to explore when something glinted in the sunlight below.

 

Jones was swinging around for another look when the air exploded close to him. Nightmare dive down and recovered.

 

“Fall back. Paradise Island. ” Jones ordered. A second explosion caused Jones and Nightmare to fall down toward the jungle island below.

 

Jones barely managed to unhook himself then pull his chute. Nightmare struggling to stay airborne. Jones saw parts of her wing had been shredded. Then Jones felt his own descent was too fast. Looking up, he noticed his chute had holes in it. Whatever was used to knock down his Leather-Wing caused damage to his parachute.

 

Jones hit the upper tree branches hard and attempted to grab them. They went from being too small to support his weight to being too large to grab. He felt his flight helmet crack as he hit one large branch. The padding and light armor in his suit saving him from serious injury.

 

After hitting the ground. Jones was getting to his hand and knees when something hit him on the side of his neck. He pulled it out to find himself holding a dart. A wave of darkness overtook him as men were stepping out of the jungle. One of the men holding something like an RPG.

 

Jones awoke sometime later to the sound of men talking and waves lapping against something metal.

 

He found his hands and feet bound by rope. He saw Nightmare wrapped in netting. He was confused about how his Leather-Wing got there until he noticed the sled and heard horses. He was on the flat deck of the ship traveling up a wide river. As he looked out he saw hard-looking men and dead Rippers piled on the ship's deck.

 

'A hunting party coming back from the mainland. ' Jones thought.

 

“Hey, boss. ” Mike's voice said and Jones turned to see the kid next to him. He was bound up as well.

 

“My Leather-Wing got away, but I don't think she went far. Nefarious is a smart girl. ” Mike said and Jones noticed the kid was wincing a little.

 

“Wrist hurting you? ” Jones asked.

 

“Broken wrist, I think it happened when I fell. It will heal and might have to be broken again to heal right. I will deal with it. ” Mike said putting on the tough guy act.

 

“You got nothing to prove, kid. They start asking questions. Look to me for answers. I think I know where these people are from. They might be Freetown folk. ” Jones said and Mike looked at the men working on the ship.

 

No one spoke to them and Jones stayed quiet as the ship made its way upriver until a town came into sight. It was deep into the island's jungle and might be spotted only from the air.

Nightmare perked up and Jones looked to see what drew his creature's attention. A nearly white Leather-Wing came sailing overhead and men on deck muttered Sheriff and the name Reaper.

 

Jones noticed the skull pattern and couldn't believe his eyes for a second. He knew that Leather-Wing from its wing pattern alone. Those skulls on each wing were a dead giveaway.

The Leather-Wing landed at the dock area and soon enough they were pulling up to the dock.

The rider wearing a crude version of his own gear slid off the creature. Jones noticed the man was tall and wore a sheriff badge on his chest. He came on board and spoke to some of the men.

 

“Well, it looks like our roles have reversed. ” The sheriff said and Jones knew that voice.

Mark Kain removed his leather helmet with goggles and grinned at the shocked look on Jones's face.

 

“Cut them loose and give him back his gear including his knife. I will take their firearms. ” Kain said and the men jump to obey him after he gave the men watching a hard look. He returned his focus on Jones.

 

Jones was set loose and given back some of his gear minus his firearms. He checked his helmet to see it was beyond his repair skills. The helmet had saved his life or the very least kept him from a very painful healing judging from the crack in it.

 

“I suggest you men get back while Mister Jones cuts his Leather-Wing loose. He will be flying with me. ” Kain said next and took the weapons noticing the ammo was missing but didn't bring that point up.

 

Jones nodded and went to Nightmare. He carefully cut the netting away and she rose up growling. Jones soothed her and told Mike to get on her back.

 

Jones walked with Kain as they went to his Leather-Wing.

 

“Jones, this young buck of a Leather-Wing is named Reaper. ” Kain said as an introduction. Reaper seemed to remember Jones and made no move to growl at him.

 

They flew a short distance to the most unusual building Jones had seen yet.

 

It looked like the other round stone buildings in Freetown, but this one had a large skull of a Sea Dragon attached to the front of it.

 

“Welcome to Skull Keep. My home and the town jail. ” Kain said landing out front and looking back over the town set up near a lake. Several small creeks feeding the lake with tall wooden bridges over each running creek.

 

Mike landed with Nightmare and still favored his unbroken wrist. Nightmare still looking a bit pissed she had been held captive.

 

The riders were invited inside and Jones noticed the man's living room doubled as a holding area. Currently, the jail cells were empty. Jones saw it was a simple affair of metal bars like you see in old western movies.

 

“So Jones, what in the hell are you doing in these parts? ” Kain asked offering them a seat at his long rectangular table. Kain laid their weapons on the table within easy reach. Mike's helmet was there as well.

 

“Riders are exploring and mapping out new areas. I take it that we are in Freetown? Tiffany told me about the rumors on this place. ” Jones asked.

 

“Yes indeed. In case you missed my shiny badge. I'm the sheriff here. Hey, Kid. Is your wrist broken? ” Kain asked noticing the way Mike held his wrist.

 

Mike nodded.

 

“Let me have a look. I have patched up enough young bucks like yourself to be an expert field medic. ” Kain said getting up and looking over the injury.

 

“It's broken, but it will heal right if you don't move it about so much. I got some wrappings here and can send for the town doctor if we need too. ” Kain said pulling out a medical kit and going to work.

 

“Kain, how the hell are you still alive? ” Jones asked.

 

“Reaper, my Leather-Wing out there saved me. He found me half-dead on the shore of the river. Bit the shit out of my hand dragging me to dry land. Since then, we have been the best of friends. I remembered that you showed up with him when the prison riot happened. I worked out, you picked up a stray wild Leather-Wing that day. ” Kain explained and lightly wrapped Mike's hand up.

 

“He bonded with you then. How did you end up here? ” Jones asked next.

 

“Well, I wasn't about to return to the prison and figured I would be given up for dead.

 

Besides, I was up for release pretty soon anyway. So, I set out on my own. I camped out up in trees and made my way to the coast. Let me tell you. That deep jungle gave me a bad feeling the entire time I was in it. It wasn't fun flying with Reaper with no harness. Me and Reaper didn't rest easy until we got close to the coastline. We were camped just outside a field when I notice a group of people hunting. Mostly armed with hunting rifles they never noticed me up in the trees. I took a mental note they were not dressed like people from Alpha City and I didn't think they were from Paradise Island either. I watched and saw they were hunting Rippers. One of the hunters got into a bit of trouble. I flew down and gave that hunter some help. Rather Reaper did all the work at my command. ” Kain explained.

 

“My hero. ” A female voice said and Jones looked to see a young woman come into the room. Kain stood up and gave the woman a kiss and she put her arm around Kain's lower back.

 

“Jones, This is my wife, Karen. She was the hunter, I saved. ” Kain said and Karen smiled at the pair.

 

“The young man right there is...” Kain said waiting for Mike to answer.

 

“Mike Colate, madam. ” Mike said.

 

“Husband, I just came down to tell you that another Leather-Wing just landed outside with no rider. ” Karen said and Mike turned to the door.

 

“Nefarious. She found us. ” Mike said looking at the front door down the hallway.

Jones told him to go see his Leather-Wing.

 

“Don't go far, kid. Freetown is a bit of a rough place. Decent to right down rough people, but quick to pick a fight. Anyone asks. You're from Paradise Island. Seeing all these Leather-Wings is gonna stir up the rumor mill around here. The sooner you all leave the better. No offense. ” Kain said as Mike walked to the front door. Then Kain turned his attention to Jones to speak.

 

“Jones, be honest with me. Will there be trouble with Alpha City folk or people from Paradise Island? ” Kain asked.

 

“Those men did shoot at us and took us, prisoners. I need to talk to someone and explain it was a simple misunderstanding. We were trespassing and they were protecting their territory. ” Jones answered deciding he do his best convince anyone who would listen not to send in anyone after him or Mike.

 

“I noticed your helmet was fubar. I got a guy in town who fixes stuff like this, but you don't have the time to wait around. Better use the kid's helmet to contact your team. You won't be able to reach Alpha City from here, but we pick up radio traffic from Paradise Island all the time. We have a few aircraft pilots that know about us. I would be very thankful if you didn't give away our exact location, just yet. People who lived here don't care for the government from Alpha or Utopia City. ” Kain said and pushed Mike's helmet to him.

 

Jones put it on and noticed that it was a bit snug for his head.

 

He disabled the GPS location then called out over the comm channel.

 

Less then a minute later he got an answer.

 

“Jones, you okay? ” Tina's voice said sounding like the experienced rider she was. Sounding concern, but not panicked.

 

“I'm fine and so is Mike. Our Leather-Wings are with us. We wandered into claimed territory and I will explain everything later. The natives here just want to be left alone. We are skipping this island and I will alert the higher-ups to advise uninvited travelers to stay away from this island. ” Jones answered.

 

“Okay, boss. We will wait for you on the North coast of Paradise Island. We will be in Port Town. ” Tina Shift said next and knew she was in command until he got back.

 

“Roger that. We will head out soon enough. Over and out. ” Jones said glad to get the tight helmet off his head.

 

“We will be heading north along the coast. Hopefully, your island will be a no-fly zone and travelers will be advised not to come here. Hostile natives and all. ” Jones said and Kain nodded.

 

“I will have a word with those men who shot you down. I can't have people taking pop shots at anyone just passing by. Karen, grab that map of the mainland. I would like to tell Jones about the Windigos. ” Kain said and Karen nodded. Pretty soon Kain laid out a map.

 

“If you head back to the jungle on the mainland. Avoid this wide area here. The area is taken up by a pack of ape-like creatures who could be Big Foot's big brother. ” Kain said pointing out an area just south of the mountain range and before the deep jungle near the coast.

 

“The Windigos are cannibals and don't mind eating humans. Few men here can claim they seen one and lived to tell their story. The hunters around here avoid the area and only fear the deep jungle more when they travel to the mainland. ” Kain explained.

 

Jones nodded then laid his helmet on the table.

 

“Thanks for the Intel. I think you need a better flight helmet. Mine is shot to hell as you say. Gut the electronics and patch the crack, it would make for a far better helmet then that leather hat you wear. ” Jones said sliding the helmet to Kain.

 

“Thanks, Jones. Have my leather cap in return. Itches like hell, but I guess you will pick up a replacement helmet on Paradise Island soon enough. ” Kain said grinning tossing his leather cap to Jones.

 

“Tell me, Kain. Any chance one of those aircraft pilots is named Mississippi?” Jones asked.

“Maybe. I do seem to recall, there is one firecracker type female pilot slash owner of her own aircraft. ” Kain answered and with a grin telling Jones he knew exactly who he was talking about.

 

“I noticed your Leather-Wing rigging. It's decent, but you deserve better. I just might be able to arrange a little care package for you. It's the least I can do for everything that has happened to you and your quick aid in setting us free. ” Jones said wondering how much it might cost him.

 

“Feels like the old days, doesn't it. I know my name is going to be in your report. You be sure to mention it would be in their best interest to leave me in peace. Freetown is my home now and the people around here won't like it if anyone tries to take their only Leather-Wing Rider slash sheriff away. ” Kain warned him and Jones nodded. Clearly Kain was needed here and he liked protecting these people.

 

Jones collected the weapons then he was shown the door and Kain gave him a firm handshake before they left.

 

“Follow the river out and head South. ” Kain called out as they mounted their Leather-Wings.

 

Mike climbed up on Nefarious after taking his empty rifle back. Jones told him not to talk about Freetown until he got a chance to make a report.

 

Jones found himself back on Paradise Island and using Mike to relay a message. They found his team soon enough in Port town. Tina seemed amused by his new leather helmet and Jones told her he lost his flight helmet and this was the best replacement he could get on short notice.

 

Thankfully, there was a building set aside just for Leather-Wings plus the riders and Jones got a replacement for his helmet from a spare gear locker. He spoke on little of what happened in the few hours he had been captured. Jones spent a good hour of his time syncing his helmet with his teammates and getting his secure comm system access once more. He made sure to change the identity codes just in case some of the data in his old helmet survived. Jones knew he was being paranoid, but figured some of the features could be saved if Kain's tech guy could repair most of his old helmet.

 

Jones would have to think hard on what to send to sheriff Kain. Getting replacement ammo took a bit longer and more electronic paperwork.

 

The next day they flew past the island that held Freetown and explored the islands beyond. Nothing else caught their interest and they spent most of the time mapping the inner part of the islands.

 

The only thing that did catch Jones's attention was the fact there were no Leather-Wings on this side of the coast. Jones took his team to the mainland and stayed closer to the coastline avoiding the Windigos area.

 

At some point, they must have brushed near enough for the Leather-Wings to smell them.

They have been taking a rest in the upper branches of the massive trees when all the Leather-Wings started to growl softly.

 

“Boss, Something is spooking the Leather-Wings. ” Mike said looking down at the ground searching for any movement.

 

Jones couldn't see anything, but far in the distance, he heard something like a large ape calling out. The sound was much deeper then any ape he heard before and sent a chill up his spine. The haunting echoing cry seemed to linger in the air.

 

“Okay, people. I think its time we move out. I will recommend they send in a drone from a hovering aircraft if they want to get pictures of these creatures. Something tells me they are the reason why we haven't seen any Leather-Wings on this side of the coast. ” Jones quietly ordered his team to move out and knew this was what Dallas felt when he saw the Drac-Kos taking out the Rippers. Jones managed to sound calm and relax.

 

The flight back seemed short and they rested along the coast finding long abandon Leather-Wing nests in hollowed out trees and bones of Leather-Wings that were killed a long time ago. This smaller species of Leather-Wings was known as the Eastern Fur-balls.

 

The entire time that they travel the area. The Leather-Wings didn't stray far from wherever the riders rested. Which Jones had found very odd considering fish was perhaps their favorite meat. The ocean was there within sight. Soon enough they came into known areas and rested a lot easier.

 

On the last day, they decided to push themselves to be in their own beds by sundown.

Jones was looking forward to his own bed by the time he was landing in the Leather-Wing Bay.

 

Madam Grace was waiting for him along with a man Jones didn't know. By the look of him, he was from Overwatch Command. He held a tablet and Jones was asked to step into Madam Grace's office while Mike was told to wait just outside. What followed was questions on his report he submitted and his thoughts on Freetown.

 

Jones been through such questioning before during his army days and hated these kind of meetings to the point where he started to re-think he did something wrong.

 

“So, your friend just let you go? ” The man asked and Jones realized he didn't catch the man's name.

 

“Yes, as a gesture of peace. As I put in my report. I suggest we avoid that island unless invited. He gave me good Intel on the main coast area too. There weren't any living Leather-Wings on that side of the coastline past Paradise Island. We searched the old Leather-Wings colonies and those creatures have a natural instinct to find their own kind. We found nothing, but bones. We may have found a creature just slightly less dangerous then the Drac-kos. ” Jones said then standing up and tired from all the questions. He got a sharp look from the paper pusher, but Madam Grace spoke up.

 

“Thank you, Captain Jones. We have got everything we needed from you. ” Madam Grace and exchange a look with the man standing next to her.

 

Jones nodded and left. He wasn't out of the bay before Mike was called into the office next. Jones knew the kid would be put through the same questioning.

 

Jones was looking forward to a relaxing evening, but he was barely through the door when Tiffany was hugging him.

 

“You're okay? ” Tiffany asked stepping back to look him over. Jones knew she might have gotten back early and heard about his little sidetrack adventure.

 

“Yeah, Tiff. I'm just fine. Just some assholes took me and Mike hostage is all. Thankfully Mark Kain was there as the sheriff. He let us go less then an hour after we woke up.

 

Freetown is a bit touchy with outsiders is all. I recommend we stay far away from the island for now on. ” Jones explained.

 

“Stay away? They attacked you and Mike while you were doing your job. We have to strike back. ” Tiffany said with anger in her voice.

 

“Calm down, baby. It was a misunderstanding is all. At most, maybe there are a few hundred people there. They are no threat to us or Utopia. They know, we have better guns and aircraft that can hit them hard. Besides Mark Kain has got a handle on them. From what I saw they respect him a lot. Hell, he is even a rider on his own Leather-Wing. ” Jones said and Tiffany stormed off and a few minutes later he heard a back spare bedroom door slammed shut.

 

“I do believe you will be dining alone tonight, sir. I will take some food to Tiffany after you have eaten. ” Ada said and Jones nodded understanding that Tiffany needed some time to cool off. Jones thought she must have been sick with worry for his safety after hearing he was taken.

 

Jones ate and went to bed alone knowing this was the first big real fight he was having with Tiffany. He woke early and left after a very light breakfast.

 

Today, all riders were back and the combat trial would be starting. A crowd had gathered on the wall to watch and drones were limited further back after a few riders from last year almost collided with one or two.

 

Jones got himself knocked out when a rubber sniper bullet punctured the plastic bags hanging on his armor. Jones knew the sound of the rifle and who fired the shot.

 

Tina and Mike did well but were knocked out just before the final round. Banshee and Tee-Kay were the last pair still unmarked in the end.

 

Soon after, Trisha was given her own ward. A young boy named Ricky and Trisha found she had more time for Mike and normal school classes.

 

It wasn't until the rainy season started a week later that Tiffany stopped sleeping in the guest bedroom and came to Milo one night.

 

They exchange their own “I'm sorry” and made love after the short exchange of words.

0