Eden 19-20
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: Invasion

 

It was a bit of a boring month on the job for Jones after that. Training, practice drills and spending time just keeping busy.

 

Midweek Tiffany invited her parents over for dinner. Jones learned that OverWatch Command had been picking up minor portals if someone was trying to open a doorway.

 

“So you think it might be people from Earth are trying to come here? ” Jones asked Mr. Knight.

 

“We are not sure. People far smarter then myself. Told me, that the portals usually open at random pulling anyone or thing caught in the threshold to us. Normally, it's just a few every year and we been tracking when and where in case there is a pattern. These new portals are too small for anyone to pass through and barely within range of Paradise Island. The fact they are clustered together gains our interest. It's too dangerous to have a ship out there on the water at the moment and the rainy season makes it impossible to have aircraft hovering about. ” Mr. Knight answered and the conversation turned toward the food they were eating.

 

Jones was impressed by how far Ada's cooking skills had improved mostly thanks to her access to fresh herbs and a few vegetables. The conversation moved from one topic to another with ease. Jones finding himself commenting from time to time.

 

“Honey, tell him about Doctor Williams android daughter. ” Julie said to her husband.

 

“Oh, it's nothing. ” Edward Knight said.

 

“Something happened to Eve? ” Jones asked a touch concern. The little girl android was unlike any android he ever met. Almost human in a strange way.

 

“I forgot, that you met her and Doctor Williams. Eve apparently made herself a new body. She looks like a mature teenager now and transferred herself to that new body without Williams's permission. He wasn't happy with her at first, but when he learned she destroyed her old body so he had to accept it. Personally, I approve of her actions. ” Edward Knight explained. Mrs. Knight spoke next.

 

“I agree. It wasn't healthy for him to hang onto the memory of his little girl. I had the pleasure of meeting Eve and she is unlike any android I have ever seen. Maybe it's because she has the memories of the real Eve Williams. I suppose that would make Ada special since her basic design is like Eve's. ” Julie said looking up to see Ada standing by to serve them more drinks if needed.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Knight. ” Ada said.

 

“Call me Julie, dear. I hope my daughter and son in law have been treating you right? ” Julie asked.

 

“I'm treated with respect and even have my own garden to tend too. ” Ada replied and waved a hand toward the plants that were brought inside from all the rain.

 

“Oh. ” Julie said looking at the small garden then at her daughter.

 

“Ada is part of our family. I have even set up her own bank account. She can buy her own clothes, parts and get stuff for the garden. We even have her listed as paid help and she gets a good wage from us every week. ” Tiffany explained and Jones nodded remembering the interesting discussion that he had with his wife in treating Ada like a paid servant.

 

“Well, Ada. I could pay you more. This cooking is amazing. Our balcony has a fantastic view of the ocean. ” Edward Knight said in a joking manner, but ready to back up his offer if needed.

 

“No, thank you Mr. Knight. I'm part of the Jones family. I also like the view of the city and watching the people below. ” Ada replied back and Jones felt a bit touched that Ada liked working for the Jones family instead of going after a higher paying job.

 

A beeping sound distracted Jones and more beeping from their various devices alerted nearly everyone to an urgent message.

 

“It's from Overwatch Command. Requesting a video conference with most of us. ” Edward Knight said looking from his smart device over to his wife's.

 

Jones cleared the table's center and a screen rose up within seconds after Jones gave the verbal command. Jones and Brutus moved from the end of the table to get a better view.

A man's face appeared. He looked at the small crowd gathered around then at Edward Knight.

 

“It's okay, Roger. My family can keep a secret. ” Edward Knight said.

 

“Sir, we have picked up multiple portal openings. The exact locations are in the ocean just off Eden's Eastern landmass. Satellite reading says forty-two portals opened then closed a minute later. A few of the portal energy readings were high level suggesting very large doorways. Big enough for sea ships to pass through. Due to the storms in the area we are unable to get any satellite pictures. ” Roger said and behind him, people were talking and running about.

 

“Are you telling me that an invasion force from Earth is here on Eden? I seem to recall that natural portals don't open up in clusters. ” Edward Knight asked.

 

“We are not completely sure, but we think the portals were made by someone else. The thing is, sir. These portals have a different energy reading then the ones from our Earth. Our theory is that we think these portals came from some other version of Earth. ” Roger said and took a tablet from a woman who appeared at his side to hand it to him. Roger read over the tablet within seconds then looked up to speak.

 

“Utopia has just confirmed that forty-two vessels were detected and disappeared from their sea radar systems. Either they have cloaking technology or went below the waterline. Weather conditions are preventing any aircraft from going into the area. Also, its near the island where Freetown is. We have made that area a no-fly zone unless in the case of an emergency landing. ” Roger reported.

 

“Okay, Roger. As soon there is a break in the weather request that some aircraft from Utopia to search the area and tell them we consider sending some Leather-Wings squads out for light recon. No one goes near the island where Freetown is unless they are invited. Have a full report ready in the morning for me. Anything major pops up message me a.s.a.p. ” Edward Knight said and nodded to Jones.

 

Jones dismissed the screen and they watched as it retracted back into the table.

 

“Sir, I like to go. I know you have people much closer, but you know I got a contact in Freetown and I been in the area before. Maybe, I can raise Mark Kain on the general comm channels. ” Jones said realizing he was going to give up a weekend to work.

 

“A friendly face is a good idea. Your taking your team and there will be back up around to pull you out just in case you run into trouble. ” Edward Knight said next and looked at his daughter.

 

Tiffany nodded knowing her father was sending her into a possible dangerous situation.

Dinner was ended early and everyone went to work to prepare. Jones messaged his team and not surprised all of them wanted to tag along. Jones knew he wasn't the only one suffering from being indoors for the most part and flying routine jobs in the heavy rain.

 

No new information came in the morning and Jones left with Tee-Kay's team behind him at a distance. Jones was halfway done listening to an audiobook when a message alert came up.

 

“Captain Jones, I have a video call for you coming from an old channel on your original helmet. We are relaying the signal from Paradise Island. Shall I patch it through? ” The woman said from Utopia command.

 

“Yes. ” Jones said putting the audiobook on pause.

 

“Techno, is this thing even working anymore? ” Mark Kain's voice said apparently asking someone near him a question and Jones smiled.

 

“Hey Kain, can you see and hear me? ” Jones asked.

 

“Yes, Jones. Loud and clear. I had our tech guy repair your old helmet. Somehow he just managed to pull up your old general comm codes from it. We got something here on Freetown Island you got to see. ” Kain said and Jones saw that Kain was outside on a beach as he switched to the outer camera view.

 

Jones knew he was now getting live feed from his old helmet. When Kain turned his head Jones saw something. At first, he thought it was an aircraft, but something about the design and color looked different.

 

“Tell me, has Alpha city been building some kind of new weird aircraft or sea ship. ” Kain said next and watched as his friend walked around the strange craft.

 

“Kain, we detected portals in your general area. we think that craft came from a different Earth then the one we know of. I'm flying to your location now. We will be there soon if we push our Leather-Wings. A single squad of four with some back up on standby for rescue only. ” Jones explained.

 

“Alright Jones. Come to my location here and fly in from the ocean. Besides me and two smugglers who just so happen to be out here doing business even knows about this craft. They are pretty tight lip so there is no worry about word getting out right away. But, give it a day or two and the entire town will know. ” Kain said sounding a bit tired.

 

Jones could just imagined two panic men coming to Kain in the middle of the evening.

 

“See you soon old friend. ” Jones said and Kain nodded then the video feed was cut short.

Jones waited until his team was almost there and then shared the news. He relayed a saved version of the video call back to Utopia for them to transmit back to OverWatch Command.

Tee-Kay's team also got a copy of the video call message.

 

Jones and his teammates landed near Kain were he waited next to Reaper. An average looking geeky teenager was near Kain and wearing some type of smart glasses to look over the ship. Clearly, this was Kain's tech guy judging from his gear and various tools on his belt.

After everyone dismounted they stared in wonder at the craft in front of them. Jones walked around the craft looking it over and careful not to touch it.

 

Part of the craft was badly damaged. Jones would have guessed a lightning strike or perhaps a shot from some type of laser weapon due to the burn marks. Something about the burn pattern told him a weapon had been used rather then nature having a hand.

 

Jones came back around to find Mark Kain standing near one part of the ship. Kain removed his helmet which he modified so most of his chin and neck could move freely. He tossed it near Reaper who barely stirred as the helmet rolled next to him.

 

“No bolts, welded panels and this is the only door that I have seen. My tech guy, Techno thinks this ship was grown rather then built. He called it organic technology. Check this out. ” Mark Kain said pointing to a door Jones hadn't noticed before.

 

Before Jones could speak Kain put his hand on the door. A door popped opened then swung outward.

 

A wave of cool air came out and Kain drew out his gun. The inside was dark in places and lights flicker in other places overhead.

 

“Let's hope they are friendly. ” Kain said stepping in.

 

“Tina Shift, you're with me. Kid and Logan stay here as our lookouts. ” Jones said stepping into the craft next. Jones thought Kain was crazy for going in, but he followed him just to keep him out of trouble.

 

The inside looked the same at first until one noticed pipes and paneled floors.

 

“Tina, watch our rear. ”Jones ordered and they moved as Kain took the lead.

 

They came upon some bodies of men and few women dead on the floor.

 

Kain checked them and pronounced them dead then ask Jones to look at this.

 

Jones looked and noticed four slits on their necks and the silts were opened. Their skin was paler then normal and hair color was a shade lighter. The blonde man appeared to have almost white hair.

 

“Boss looks like fish gills to me. I have done enough vet work to know. ” Tina Shift said checking one body while keeping her weapon ready.

 

“I say so. ” Kain commented and raised the hand of a dead female. Like her male counterparts, she had webbing between her slightly longer fingers.

 

“They are wearing wetsuits under those uniforms. The uniforms are not too much unlike ours. Military or guards judging from the holstered guns. ” Kain said next pulling one gun-free and looking it over.

 

“I say guards and look at that symbol. Looks like a curved crown. ” Jones said getting a feeling he seen something like that before. The color of the symbol done in purple and red.

 

“You thinking royalty. Like a Monarch system. ” Kain commented then nodding if agreeing.

Jones glanced at the gun Kain held and noticed it wasn't unlike the laser rifle Tina used. It looked more refined and of course much smaller. Clearly more advanced technology Jones guessed. Jones scanned over the other bodies noticing only a few had the laser pistols.

Kain pointed the pistol at a wall careful to aim and fired it. A blue beam of light shot out burning a round hole in the paint job. The metal beyond still intact.

 

Kain smiled then tucked his own stolen laser pistol away grinning at Jones.

 

“Stop playing around, Kain. Somebody might be alive on this ship. Looks like they crashed pretty hard. I bet most of these people got broken necks or died from internal bleeding. ” Jones said shaking his head wondering when their roles became reversed.

 

“Sorry, Jones. I guess, I have lived around rough people too long. Your right. Somebody has to be alive. Look there. ” Kain said looking down a hallway and Jones saw a sign up ahead.

 

High above the strange ship and coming down to land was Tee-Kay's team.

 

'No way in hell I'm letting my husband get too far away from me this time. ' Tiffany thought as she ordered her team to land. Besides his helmet video feed cut out the moment he had entered into the ship and there had been no word from him.

 

The two boys he left behind on lookout were confused by Tee-Kay's team coming in for a landing. Using her outer speaker she told them they were coming in for extra support.

 

“Banshee with me. The rest of my team watch out for trouble from the other side of the ship. Everyone else stay in case Jones needs some extra firepower. ” Tiffany said giving the signal for her Leather-Wing to walk toward the front of the craft.

 

From the air, she saw the front of the ship had tinted glass or something that appeared to be glass. Tiffany thought would be the bridge or the very least the pilot area.

 

“Banshee, do you think you can cut a hole in that? ” Tiffany said pointing up at the ship's glass front that had a bubbled out design.

 

“Only one way to know. ” Trisha said taking careful aim then pulling the trigger. The laser beam sliced cleanly causing a large part of the dome glass to slide away.

 

“Trisha, stay here. Until I call for you. ” Tiffany said unclasping her straps then order Blood-Wing to rise up. Tiffany jumped through the hole avoiding the edges.

 

It was a bridge of the ship alright and she landed between two occupied seats. The male pilot and female co-pilot she assumed dead from head trauma. The force of the impact alone must have been pretty nasty from what Tee-Kay could tell from the smashed bodies.

 

Strong sunlight from above her gave her enough light to see by. It was just a temporary lull in the storms.

 

There were more bodies and Tiffany looked them over. Uniformed men and women with some wearing guns at their hips. Tiffany examined one man to find he had a sort of loose wetsuit under his clothes like underwear.

 

Tiffany picked up radio chatter from Jones talking to Tina Shift.

 

“Trisha, it's clear. ” Tiffany called out and a moment later she braced Trisha as she leapt down. The young teenager looked about in wonder and pity for those killed.

 

“Whoa. ” Trisha said looking at the ship's inner parts. A good part of the bridge was damaged and melted in places.

 

“Look over there. ” Tiffany said gesturing over at a set of pods sticking out of the wall. The words escape pods painted on them in English. Two of the pods were badly damaged and if anyone was in there they were dead for sure, but one looked untouched.

 

As the pair walked closer scanning for dangers it was Trisha who noticed the undamaged pod wasn't empty. It appeared to be filled with water.

 

“Tee-Kay, There is a little girl in there. ” Trisha said and Tiffany stared in shock. As they drew closer Tee-Kay saw that the little girl was breathing. Something like gills were slowly opening then closing on her neck. Tee-Kay looked closer at the bodies around her and saw the same gill-like feature on the sides of the neck of all the bodies.

 

“Jones, come in. We are on the ship's bridge and found someone alive here. ” Tiffany said and had to wait a full five seconds before he responded back.

 

“Tee-Kay, we are on the way to you. ” Jones said and judging from his breathing he was walking at a fast pace.

 

Tiffany noticed something else about the little girl. Her head had a nasty gash in it and the water inside the pod was slightly red from her blood.

 

Tiffany looked over the pod and found something that looked like a hatch wheel. she slung her rifle on her shoulder and started turning the wheel pleased to feel it moved freely. The pod door popped open and she just barely managed to catch the child before she fell out to the floor.

 

Tiffany removed the injection gun from her side pocket and paused only a moment then pressed it into the girl's neck. She pulled the trigger.

 

“Let's hope her DNA is close enough to us for this to work. ” Tiffany commented to Trisha.

 

“Where did you get that? ” Trisha asked in surprise.

 

“Borrowed it from the medical ward. I have been carrying one around just in case we ran into anyone hurt and not from Eden. I would never guess, I would use it on a person from a different Earth. ” Tiffany said and movement drew her eye as Jones, Kain, then Shift came into the room.

 

Tina Shift was first to walk over with Jones right behind her. Kain came over to look down at the little girl. Tina saw the injection gun and looked back at the little girl. Her head wound was closing up before their eyes. The cut not as deep as it appeared to be.

 

 

“Head wounds always look bad until you wash away the blood or cut the hair away. Thank God, her DNA is like ours. ” Tina Shift said going to work by checking her pulse and pulling out a penlight to check the girl's eyes.

 

Just has Tina's attention was looking down the little girl's body for any more injuries.

 

The little girl's eyes popped opened then she screamed. Her hands went up in a self-defense gesture. Jones, Shift, Trisha and Tiffany went flying back as an invisible force hit them in the chest. Jones found himself six feet away on his back thankful for his padded armor. Kain who had been standing off to the side avoided the strange force.

 

“Shhh....” Kain said a moment later bending down and pinning the girl's arms down. Clearly, he saw she needed to stretch her hands out to use her power. She struggled with him then looked at his face. Then she clung to him looking back at the others with fear.

 

“Owww. ” Trisha said getting up and rubbing her backside.

 

As they stood and walked forward again the little girl screamed again looking at their masked faces one by one in fear.

 

“Guys, remove your helmets. ” Kain ordered and each of them did so.

 

The little girl calmed down a great deal after that. Seeing they were people like herself.

 

“Who are you? Where is mama and papa? ” The little girl asked scanning the room and broke down to tears seeing the other damaged pods.

 

Jones was a bit shock she spoke English, but it sounded funny like an accent he had never heard before.

 

“My name is Mark Kain. That's Milo Jones and his wife Tiffany. Those young ladies are....” Kain said and pausing not knowing who Trisha or Tina was.

 

“My name is Trisha. ” Trisha said making sure to pronounce her name clearly and Tina introduce herself next.

 

“I'm a doctor and I'm here to help. ” Tina said moving closer and the little girl cuddled into Kain's body some more. Unlike the others, he wasn't dressed in an outfit that made him look less human.

 

Jones guessed she was younger then Crystal and wearing only a purple and red wetsuit. Jones saw that the crown symbol was printed on the front.

 

“A doc...tor? ” The little girl asked confused by the word.

 

“Yes, when people get hurt I help them. ” Tina said edging closer and something in the girl seemed to understand.

 

“Oh. A healer. ” The little girl said and relaxed some more.

 

Tina walked up to her and looked her over. Checking her out for injuries.

 

“Well, she appears fine and I say the regeneration treatment was successful. Say, sweetie. What is your name? ” Tina asked and the little girl looked confused by the word regeneration.

 

“Mariana. ” Mariana said softly noticing all the attention was on her.

 

A deep rumbling sound shook the ship and Mariana let out a little scream. A wave of warm air pushed by them and alarm went off like a buzzer.

 

“Okay, Time to go. I'm reading a massive energy build up. ” Jones said after putting his helmet back on.

 

Not wasting any time they climbed out of the hole with Kain being last since he had argued he was the tallest among them.

 

It took Jones and Tiffany working together to pull him out. The back part of the ship started to break open and something like steam shot out.

 

“Everyone back to their Leather-Wings and take off. ” Jones said thinking some type of cooling system just lost most of its pressure. Whatever powered the ship was going to blow up soon.

 

Mariana barely had time to see the monster that Kain carried her too before he was climbing onto its back. Kain was thankful for the gear that his friend sent him as it made it far deal easier to clip himself into. He held onto little Mariana as Techno jumped onto the back seat of the saddle. Reaper took off for Freetown a moment later.

 

The others followed suit putting height and distance from the strange ship.

 

There was a crack followed by a deep boom and the rush of air a few minutes later. All of the riders felt the push of air and the Leather-Wings were lifted up a few feet.

 

“No dangerous radiation readings, thank God. ” Jones said looking back at where the ship had been. Even at the height they were at. All of them could see a crater on the beach and parts of the ships littering the ground in all directions. The boom sound must have been heard for miles.

 

They circled a few times then they flew back to Kain's house. Outside Kain's house, a group of people waited with a young man wearing a deputy badge on his shirt.

 

The talking increased in volume as the nine Leather-Wings came down with riders on each.

People in the crowd were asking questions and the deputy was holding out his hands stopping anyone from getting close.

 

“Take her inside. ” Kain said to Jones handing Mariana off to him.

 

“People, listen up. ” Kain said and waited for quiet. Jones didn't hear the rest as he entered Kain's home.

 

Mike and Trisha were commenting how cool his house was since part of it was made from a Sea Dragon's skull.

 

Mrs. Kain came out from a back room and looked them over. The riders removed their helmets and laid them on the long table in front of the chairs.

 

“Milo Jones. I didn't expect you back so soon. I will get everyone some tea while we wait. Have a seat, there are plenty of chairs. ” Mrs. Kain said and Jones noticed her hand was down at her side when she first entered the room. He would have bet easy money that she carried a pistol there strapped to her leg. Jones briefly wondered if there was a slit or a pocket hole was in that dress for her to gain access to the gun.

 

Mrs. Kain came back with a tray of glasses and sat next to Jones who held the little girl on his lap.

 

“Who is this little doll? ” Mrs. Kain asked leaning over to look at Mariana.

 

“I'm Mariana. ” Mariana answered looking at the tea if Mrs. Kain had mixed it with mud.

Carefully, she picked up the cup and drank only a little. It tasted funny, but Mariana also tasted the sugar and took a bigger gulp a few seconds later.

 

Mrs. Kain noticed the girl's neck and watched as they opened then close a little when the girl was drinking.

 

“Mariana is kind of like a mermaid. ” Jones said as Mrs. Kain eyes locked on to the side of Mariana's neck.

 

“What is a Mermaid? ” Mariana asked confused by the word.

 

“Well, a mermaid is someone who can breathe underwater and generally have a tail instead of legs. Also they are very beautiful. ” Mrs. Kain answered and Mariana didn't understand every word, but caught most of what the nice woman had said.

 

The praise toward her was not lost.

 

“I'm Karen Kain. ” Karen said to Mariana and then she welcomed everyone to her home. She also mentioned it was known as Skull Keep.

 

“Is Mark Kain your mate or blood? ” Mariana asked and it took a few seconds for Karen Kain to work out what the little girl was asking.

 

“My mate. We are a married couple. ” Karen Kain answered.

 

Mariana slid off of Jones's lap and looked around the home with curiosity in her little eyes.

Mariana noticed the jail bars and asked about it.

 

Karen was happy to explain what it was used for and why. The pair disappeared into the other rooms as Karen was giving Mariana a tour of the place.

 

Mark Kain came in with his deputy.

 

“Everyone meet Buck, my deputy. Buck this is everybody. ” Mark Kain said walking past the table and pouring himself a tall glass of tea.

 

“My real name is Bobby Young, but everyone just calls me Buck as in Young Buck. ” Buck said and nodded as each person introduce themselves.

 

“Half of you are welcome to stay. If one of you doesn't mind sleeping in a jail cell. I got enough room for some. ” Mark Kain said taking the seat his wife had been using.

 

“What about the girl? ” Tiffany asked and watched as Mariana and Karen returned to the room.

 

“Mariana, Would you like to stay here with me or go with my friend and his wife? ” Mark Kain asked turning his attention to the little girl.

 

“Stay here. Karen is nice. ” Mariana said and Mark nodded.

 

“That settles that. ” Mark said, but Tiffany wasn't going to let the conversation end there.

 

“She can't stay here in this town. It's dangerous. ” Tiffany said and Jones decided to listen for now.

 

“Look, Mrs. Tiffany Jones. We might be a bit rough, but nobody in this town would dare hurt a child. I don't know what you heard, but we are not bad guys here. We just have a few rough edges is all. ” Mark Kain said and Jones could tell he liked the people of Freetown.

 

“Tee-Kay, I think its best. If Mariana has other family or maybe even her own people might come looking for her. It's best that she stays close to the crash site. ” Jones said seeing some possible trouble brewing.

 

“What about her power? ” Trisha asked.

 

“Even better now we know she has a way to protect herself. ” Mark Kain said.

 

“She is a telekinetic if my guess is right. You can move stuff with your mind can't you Mariana? ” Jones asked Mariana.

 

“I can push and pull. Even make a hidden wall. ” Mariana said proudly.

 

“Can you do more? ” Trisha asked curious to know.

 

“No, but others can. Like mind speak to animals, shockers and healers. ” Mariana answered.

 

Jones got up grabbing his helmet and asked Mariana to show him what she could do.

 

Mariana happily walked in front of him about ten feet away.

 

“Hang on to that. ” Mariana pointing at his helmet then reached out her hand in a clutching gesture. Jones felt the helmet nearly pull free from his hand. Only his tight grip kept it in place.

 

“I'm gonna push you back. Put that on. ” Mariana said referring to his helmet again.

 

Jones did so and at her command, he walked forward in her direction and when he was about six feet away he felt something push at him. Knocking him back only a few steps.

 

“This one is really hard. ” Mariana said displaying her fingers out if pushing on a wall.

Jones stepped forward then he felt something that wasn't there. Jones raised his hands up and could feel an invisible wall before him like the air was suddenly compacted into a glass panel.

 

A few seconds later his hand fell threw and Mariana yawned then rubbed her head. Clearly the events and flexing of her mental power had exhausted her.

 

“Okay, Mariana. Time for an afternoon nap. I will lay down with you. ” Karen said and gently guided the little girl out of the room toward the master bedroom.

 

“Let those in charge of Alpha and Utopia know that the girl is under my protection. I will allow you all to pick up what is left of the ship and whatever bits of crew members are scattered on the beach. ” Mark Kain said in a stern voice Jones hadn't heard in a long time.

 

Tiffany spoke up next.

 

“Fine, but some of us are staying. Mike, Trisha, and Tina along with my husband. ” Tiffany said her own tone becoming defensive.

 

“Fine, Who is gonna cook supper? ” Mark asked and Jones then Trisha offered up their services.

 

After supper, half the riders were sent to Utopia to report back and to lead others to the crash site.

 

Kain assigned bedding arrangements putting couples together. Tiffany worried that having Mike and Trisha under the same roof might be an issue. When Tiffany went to check on them to catch them in the act. They were just talking and Mike was camped out on the floor while Trisha had the bed to herself. The only thing Tiffany saw was a kiss goodnight then they went to sleep.

 

Early the next morning, the riders left and met up with experts from Alpha and Utopia city. Temporary tents had been set up overnight and riders were detailed to security work.

aircrafts came and went taking genetic samples and parts of the ship away to study. Even bits of the tech including the laser pistols had been found blown clear.

 

Edward and Julie Knight were there on scene as well. Mr. Knight talking with the top experts getting things explained to him for the most part.

 

Julie looked busy while she was looking over DNA samples that had been found.

Sheriff Kain came out to check on their progress and to make sure no one from Freetown came by to do anything stupid. He had his own trusted men searching the jungle floor for any tech.

 

All of them sat down for lunch that afternoon at Kain's house. Julie was very interested in meeting little Mariana and getting a blood sample from her. Mariana was confused by the fact her skin healed so fast after Julie had taken some of her blood.

 

Karen explained that they had given her something to make her heal faster. After Mariana went down for a nap the adults talked openly. It was Julie who started the conversation.

 

“From what I have seen so far. Mariana's people have done a bit of genetic engineering to adapt to live mostly underwater. Even that ship was just a touch organic. My theory is that part of it was grown to be waterproof. From what you told me. Her people must have evolved their minds by design or more likely by pure accident. I'm leaning toward accident since not all of them have powers so Mariana has said. I'm willing to bet where ever they came from their world was nearly covered in water. Perhaps the ice caps melted or it was the natural state of their world, to begin with. ” Julie said pausing to think about it.

Edward Knight took control of the conversation.

 

“Our experts tell me what little we learned of their tech that they are generations ahead of us on technology. We might even be able to reverse engineer those laser pistols to make some of our own in time. Those in charge of reviewing the video footage tell me that Mariana could be somebody very important. Judging from her clothing we have to think of her like a princess. The other uniforms recorded in the video suggest royal guards and crew members. I agree with my son-in-law in keeping her here. She is close enough to the crash site anyone looking just might turn up here. What concerns me is the possible fact her ship appeared to be damaged from an unknown laser weapon. Kain, Those trusted people you have. Did they find any more of those laser pistols? ” Edward Knight said putting some faith in Kain since he was good friends with Jones.

 

“An even dozen now if you include mine. Most of the folk who have them are decent enough. I got a tech wizard who can work out how to charge them. We are going to keep the charger station here under my control. Something about all this makes me think there is going to be trouble. I don't know what surprises me more. Strange ships crashing down from other worlds or the fact Freetown is forming its own version of a police force. ” Kain answered smiling as he thought on it.

 

“Give us a few more hours and we will have the area cleaned up of anything deadly. My people are nervous about being here. I can't imagine the pressure your under to keep the peace. ” Edward Knight said to Kain.

 

“A few don't like it, but they are more afraid of what might be out there then a few visitors from Alpha city. I have convinced them you're more likely to draw the attention of the unknown visitors then us. ” Kain said.

 

A radio crackled into life in a back room and everyone heard somebody calling out “Sheriff Kain, come in. ”

 

“Excuse me. ” Kain said and walked to the back room.

He answered the call.

 

“Sheriff, This is Billy Nelson. There is some type of submarine in the river moving toward Freetown. Any of those Alpha city people got a submarine coming for a visit? ” The voice asked.

 

“Negative, Billy. Did you get a good look at it? How soon do you think till it's here? ” Sheriff Kain asked.

 

“It surfaced for a few seconds. Honestly, it looked liked a damn space ship. I say you got ten minutes before it reaches the dock area. ” Billy answered.

 

“Good job, Billy. Stay where you are and report in if any more come our way. Over and out, Billy.” Sheriff Kain said and made more radio calls.

 

“All defenders to the dock area. Take up a defensive position and wait for me. ” Sheriff Kain said and stormed out of the back room.

 

Kain went into action and turned to Karen.

 

“Karen, wake the girl and bring her down to the docks. Walk, don't run. I want to get a feel for these people first. ” Kain said making sure he packed the laser pistol then his normal firearm.

 

From there, things moved quickly. Riding double nearly the entire party flew down to the docks within minutes.

 

Mike and Trisha were paired to take a defensive spot at the beginning of the dock. Jones and Kain decided it was best if they greeted the visitors. Edward Knight asked to stay behind to help in defending Freetown. Freetown wasn't his place to defend, but he promise to help.

Word had spread quickly and nearly all the town folk who were in the open seemed to have vanished. Jones looked and saw heads watching from windows and cracked doorways. To his shock most were armed. Their weapons pointing toward the water.

 

“No one fire until we talked to them first! ” Kain said loudly and returned his attention to looking out toward the water.

 

“Freetown has been preparing for a fight. We never thought it be people from a different Earth. ” Kain muttered to Jones and saw something out in the water. Something was emerging from the water's surface.

 

Jones saw a ship that looked a lot like the one that had exploded. The ship cruised toward them and slowed. It turned then slowly and a side door opened. Jones knew they lined up almost perfectly with the end of the dock.

 

“Showtime. ” Kain said putting on a smile and standing so it appeared he was very relaxed.

Jones had a crazy image of him as an old western cowboy calmly waiting for the bad guy to make his move. Jones like the fact they were flanked by wooden crates on each side. These would make decent cover.

 

The door opened and armed men were the first to step out. They lined up from side to side to face each other. Women wearing robes were next to depart. Their faces were hooded and Jones got the impression of priestesses. Each one had an image of a handprint with a human eye in the center of the design. Jones guessed the robed people had powers. There were only a handful at best he could see.

 

Then a woman stepped out. From her regal walk to her purple and red outfit Jones spotted the person in charge.

 

Besides her a man walked just behind her. His eyes darting left and right looking for trouble.

 

“Bodyguard or possible captain of the guards. He noticed the Leather-Wings” Jones muttered. There was a slight look of shock on the man's face as he noticed the monstrous bat creatures waiting at the shoreline.

 

“That lady has to be some type of queen. ” Kain said back in a low voice.

 

“Shouldn't the town leaders be here? ” Jones asked in a low voice.

 

“Your kidding, right. They are hiding until they know it's safe. It's why I got this job so easily. I got hired for this kind of work. Putting my ass on the line to maintain the peace. ” Kain said with a chuckle.

 

Something shimmered around the strangers and Jones was confused by this, but put it down to something they were wearing. The belts they wore looked odd and before Jones could think about it the woman spoke.

 

“Greetings, I'm high mistress Andrine of the Nereid people. One of our royal ships crashed on this island yesterday. We detected, that the reactor breach had occurred destroying the ship. I have come here to reclaim any survivors.” High mistress Andrine said in a loud voice so it carried to all within earshot.

 

Kain stepped forward a few steps to speak.

 

“I'm Sheriff Kain. I welcome you to the world of Eden. This man here beside me is Captain Jones from Alpha City. Sadly, we were only able to rescue a single person. A little girl by the name of Mariana. ” Kain said watching for a reaction.

 

“Ahh, My blood relation. She is well? ” High mistress Andrine asked.

 

“Perfect health. I have looked after Mariana like my own blood. My mate is bringing her here. ” Kain said and saw something in Andrine's expression he didn't like. Jones caught the slight body movement or was it her facial expression.

 

“We shall wait. ” High Mistress Andrine said and talked quietly with her bodyguard.

 

It wasn't long until Mariana showed up and Edward Knight spoke to Karen then Mariana came onto the dock alone.

 

It wasn't until she was beside Kain she noticed her aunt.

 

“Mariana, my blood. You are safe. ” High Mistress Andrine said and Jones got the impression of a bad actor. It was Mariana's reaction to her aunt that made Jones paranoid side spike.

Mariana didn't go running to her aunt or step any closer. In fact, she step closer to Kain if scared.

 

“Come here, child. ” Andrine ordered and Mariana looked up at Kain if silently asking for something.

 

“What is wrong, Mariana? ” Kain asked in a low voice.

 

“Mama was fighting a lot with Andrine. They yelled at each other. Mama said not to trust her before we left. I want to stay with you and Karen. ” Mariana said taking Kain's free hand in a tight grip. His other hand rested on his belt not far from the laser pistol. He had his body turned just so it was hidden from view from the strangers.

 

“Mariana wishes to remain with us. Honestly, Lady. I don't trust you. ” Kain said and watched as Andrine expression changed. It was one of rage and sheer shock if to say how dare you.

 

Before Kain could move she pulled out a laser pistol and fired. The blue bolt hitting Mariana in the chest. She crumpled onto the dock.

 

“You bitch. ” Jones said opening fire on the woman blinded by outrage and watching as she stood there smirking. His bullets fell short of her and the air a few feet before her shimmered as the bullets bounced off to land on the dock or into the water.

 

“Fuck me, she has some type of energy shield around her. ” Jones said to Kain then ducked down as royal guards opened up fire as town folk did the same.

 

Overhead the Leather-Wings flew in circles looking for a chance to attack. None of them had riders. Either through instinct or training, they knew not to attack while a gun battle was going on.

 

Kain pulled Mariana behind his stack of crates then leaned out to open fire with his laser pistol. Jones watched as the blue laser bolt cut right through the shield.

 

High Mistress Andrine's head had a neat hole in it a second later. Her personal shield only lasting a few microseconds. Just above her right eye was the laser shot wound as a look of shock crossed her face. More laser shots lanced out then the royal guards started falling dead. One of the robed women was knocked off the dock as they retreated into the ship.

The rest of the Nereids fell back into the ship to take cover including the one guard who stood next to Andrine. He failed to open fire on them and looked just as shocked to see Mariana shot. Trisha set her gun to firing long burst aiming for the glass cockpit but missing as the ship banked and skimmed over the water. It was submerged within seconds and out of sight.

The fight was over within a minute and Jones heard a gasp of air as Mariana jerked to life. Lucky for her the laser shot kept her from losing a lot of blood. Giving her body time to heal.

 

Mariana moved her hand to her burn spot on her outfit feeling the skin there. She looked surprised to be alive.

 

“That shot hit her heart or near it. ” Kain said to Jones holding her then helping her to stand.

 

“I get the feeling the queen or whatever was making a power play. Mariana must have been next in line to be the person in charge when she reached adulthood. ” Jones said working it out.

 

“Do you think they will be back? ” Kain asked looking worried.

 

“Maybe a revenge attack, but as far as they know Mariana is dead. Now, they have shown their true colors. They know you will be on the lookout for another attack. ” Jones said and Kain nodded.

 

“I'm going to talk to the town leaders and see if we can't get some heavy weapons along the river. Their ship didn't fly in. I bet you even money they only travel on the water's surface or dive under the water. Call their ships Skimmers for the lack of a better word.” Kain said recalling everything he saw today.

 

“Uncle Andew might be mad his mate is dead. ” Mariana said looking at the dead bodies before her. Her eyes focused on her aunt's dead body then feeling the spot where a bare patch of skin shown where she had been shot.

 

There was the sound of water moving if someone was breaking the water's surface. Jones pointed his gun at the spot seeing a young woman. Seeing a weapon pointed at her she raised her hands up treading water as she did.

 

“Well, looks like they left someone alive behind. Come out of there. ” Kain said carefully to aim his laser pistol at the woman as well. The woman did so and Jones saw the woman wore only something like a loose wet suit. She must have ditched the robe in the water. Her wetsuit had the image of a hand with an eye printed on it.

 

The woman gawked at Mariana very shocked to see her alive.

 

“Forgiveness, Mariana. I did not know what your blood relation was going to do. ” The woman said dropping to her knees.

 

“You got a name? ” Kain asked. It was Mariana who answered.

 

“Her name is Juno. She is like me. ” Mariana answered for the young woman tapping her head.

 

“She can push or pull things? ” Kain asked, but Juno answered.

 

“I'm a shocker. I don't have the mind push power. ” Juno answered.

 

“Show me. ” Jones said and motion for Kain to lower his weapon.

Jones then put his weapon away.

 

Juno slowly came up to Jones using just two of her fingers touched his upper arm.

Jones felt a jolt of electric power hit him and he flinched back shaking out his arm.

Kain looked confused but held his weapon at the low ready.

 

“Our lady friend here is like an electric eel. My arm is a bit numb, but I'm okay. ” Jones said to Kain and knew others overheard him.

 

“Well, Juno. Best you come along with me. I got a nice cell for you and we have questions. ” Kain said and motion for the woman to move ahead of him.

 

“Come on, Mariana. It's for the best you go back to the house too. ” Kain said and turned her away from the dead bodies of her people. Karen took her back to the house and deputy Buck went along for extra protection.

 

Jones noticed that Buck looked a bit love-struck with Juno.

 

Jones followed and within the hour the leaders of the town gathered at Skull Keep.

They had questions for Juno. They learned a lot about her people and where they had come from. The basic story was that her people were part of a vast empire that ruled their world. Juno didn't know the exact details, but their world was dying and they were fleeing to other multiple worlds to survive.

 

Someone had developed the means to open portals to other worlds and they started moving their people to various worlds that suited their needs. The only downside was the machine they used to open portals only worked from their homeworld. Some of the minor royal houses used the chaos to make power plays to take over.

 

Just before the crossing over to Eden. Juno had been locked away with others like herself as war broke out between those with the high blood.

 

She had been told Mariana's mother had betrayed her people. Jones got the impression it was the reverse.

 

Freetown leaders argued and discuss what had happened. Pretty soon they did agree on one thing. They were most likely at war with the Nereid people.

Mr Knight spoke up then.

 

“It's clear to me that we should form an alliance. The Nereid people strike me to be a very proud people. It's possible they see all of us as their enemy now. Freetown will remain independent from Alpha and Utopia government as their own little nation. As you might have heard we are making a roadway through the northern mountains with the help of the tribe people in that area. That means a major trade route will be made in a few years. Those who wish to leave Freetown should set up on the islands heading North. ” Edward Knight explained.

 

Jones watched as some of the town leaders nodded and others sat there silently if considering the matter. Then the debating started and Jones excused himself to get some fresh air.

 

It was hours later matters were settled and as the rainy season hammered down. The alliance treaty was signed.

 

Most of the Knight Family left for home. Jones stayed behind with Tiffany just for one more day since it was their day off. Most of the riders headed home as well.

 

That evening Buck offered Juno different clothes to wear. Jones and Kain were on standby just in case she did try something.

 

Karen in the open doorway ready to assist Juno in the back room where she could change in private. As it turned out Juno had little modesty. Juno slipped out of her loose-fitting wetsuit with ease and Jones made a point to study the ceiling. Tiffany was grinning at him from what he could see out of the corner of his eye.

 

Kain for his part merely raised an eyebrow.

 

Buck stood there gawking at the nude woman in shock.

 

“Buck, you going to help the young lady dress or stand there all night? ” Kain barked.

 

Buck went into action and with gentle care helped Juno. Karen looking at Kain if he was doing something wrong.

 

“What? She is a looker. Doesn't hold a candle to you, my love. ” Kain said and Karen seemed to nod at his response.

 

Buck was giving Juno directions and Jones could tell those two had been getting to know each other a lot. The room was so quiet and Jones heard what Buck was telling the young woman in a low voice.

 

“Miss Juno. In the future, it's not proper for a young lady such as yourself to go naked in front of other men or where a lot of people can see you. ” Buck explained.

 

“Forgiveness. I was told to obey all orders and answer all questions. ” Juno said and looked over at Kain.

 

“Hmph. I see no reason to hold you here any longer. You didn't shoot at us and you have been real nice in telling us everything you know. You're free to go or stay here in Freetown. I will make sure word gets around your not to be bothered. ” Kain said to her as Juno pulled on the last of her new clothing.

 

“Husband, you can't just cut her loose. Where is she going to go? ” Karen asked.

 

“She could come stay with me. ” Buck offered up weakly.

 

“Buck, that is sweet of you, but you live a bit too close to the town. I feel better if she stays here with us until she understands our world a bit more. I could use an extra hand around here. ” Karen said next.

 

“I will serve the mistress in waiting. Mariana is of the high blood. ” Juno said lowering her head.

 

“I want your word that you will help us of your free will. Understand, that you don't have to serve anyone. Our people might be at odds with each other, but doesn't mean we have to be. ” Kain explained to Juno.

 

“I understand. I see, how you treat Mariana like family. I want to protect her in case my own people return. Can I work for you and stay here? ” Juno asked. It was Karen who answered.

 

“Of course, dear. Mariana needs someone like herself around and Buck fancies you. I will show you how to clean and cook. ” Karen answered and the matter was settled.

 

Jones was back home with Tiffany when the video feed came over the news network from the prerecorded meeting that happened on Freetown Island. Videos of the crashed ship, Mariana being shot including the shoot out that followed and the signing of the alliance treaty went viral for a while.

 

Days later the attacks from the Nereid people started on ships at sea while on their normal trade routes. Due to the bad weather, the Leather-Wings were out of action until it was safe to fly.

 

Only the most sturdy aircrafts and sea ships refitted with weapons saw any fighting at first.

The Nereids used a strike and retreat tactic. Anytime an aircraft moved into the area the Nereids retreated back under the water. It was clear they had the technology to detect aircraft early on.

 

Beta Site was nearly emptied out of all criminals who were moved up North as part of the labor force to help with the road or to the new prison known as the IceBox. Beta Site was made into a military outpost for all comm traffic because of its central location. The Northern people taking their jobs as wards seriously as they managed the labor force even accepted some of the men or women into the tribes.

 

As time passed like the rest of the riders. Jones went by rumors and official reports released to the general public. Meanwhile, all riders went through drills, increased combat practice, and team-building type games outside during days when the weather wasn't bad.

 

All rider captains were allowed in on some military meetings. On the rare days, when it didn't rain they helped where they could. Nereid ships had been spotted heading inland lately then heading out a few hours later. So far no one knew why.

 

There was a bit of excitement when a skimmer had been destroyed by the wall guard just outside the walls of Alpha City as it cruised along the river. The attempt to make them surrendered had failed and in the exchange of gunfire verse laser bolts, the Skimmer had been destroyed. As far as anyone could tell they had wandered into the area with no clue they were so close to the city. The booming sound that was made when the Skimmer blew up caused some alarm for a while.

 

All riders also learned how to use the new laser pistols that had been reversed engineered from the Nereid technology. Since Jones, Trisha, Tina, and Tiffany been the only riders to see the inside of the skimmer. Their helmet video recordings were studied and shown during some of the meetings.

 

Jones had been told more then once it was a shame he didn't see the Skimmer's engine room. Jones looked forward to the days when light or moderate rain came down. It meant his team could do something useful.

 

Jones was out on a routine patrol with his team while a light shower of rain came down. The Leather-Wings seem to enjoy the drizzle of rain. An urgent message came through and judging from his teammate's changes in body movements. He knew they got the same message. Text only orders and it gave them GPS coordinates close to his location. Jones checked it with his map display.

 

“Okay, team. We are going to come in low and land in the trees near the area. ” Jones ordered and his team followed his lead.

 

The moment they spotted the Nereid ship Jones give the command for Nightmare to dive down into the trees.

 

The oversize branches gave them room to land and move about. For the most part, his team moved with almost silent grace.

 

Jones was reviewing his orders which was to observe and if possible to capture any hostiles. When his external microphone picked up noises.

 

Far below them, a group of Nereid people were walking along to a small cluster of fruit trees that grew wild. A pair of guards with their weapons already out kept watch with their heads looking left to right for trouble.

 

Jones watched and even zoomed in on the workers. It appeared they were simply gathering fruit. One little boy greedily ate one fruit after his mother gave him one. One of the guards yelled at him and everyone in the group doubled their efforts. They picked the ripe fruit directly from the trees and placing the fruit into baskets with carrying slings.

 

“Come in Jones, This is Tee-Kay. My team is position on the other side near the Nereid vessel. It looks like a barge type vessel with a pilot cabin. By the look of things, it is meant for hauling. We just saw a group of people go into the jungle. The ship is lightly manned by the look of things. My team can take it with little fuss. ” Tee-Kay said over the general comm channel only riders used.

 

“Roger that. We got eyes on the group in the jungle. Our orders were to capture if possible. Diving hawk attack unless you think of something better. My team will capture the group of Nereids here. It appears they are just gathering fruit. I count only two guards standing watch. ” Jones said looking over the too thin figures.

 

“Okay. We do our best not to harm anyone. Tee-Kay, over and out. ” Tee-Kay said over the comm channel.

 

“Kid, you're with me. Guards first. Everyone else makes sure that the group doesn't flee into the jungle. Go. ” Jones ordered and verbally gave the command to Nightmare.

 

The attack went smoothly and the Leather-Wings had the guards pinned to the ground before they knew what had happened.

 

The group of Nereids screamed and before they could think about running away his other teammates arrived landing to cut them off.

 

Jones unhooked himself and jump down to secure the guard's laser pistols. Taking the two handcuffs from the half dozen he now carried he placed each guard in cuffs.

 

“Listen up, people. Stay calm and sit down. Now. ” Jones said amplifying his voice through the external speakers of his flight helmet.

 

Jones texted that his team had captured the group of Nereids

 

A few minutes later he heard a few gunshots and Tee-Kay's voice come over the shared comm link.

 

“Nereid Barge is secured and two hostiles down. ” Tee-Kay said through the comm.

“Roger that. Bringing our guests to you. ” Jones replied back and motioned to his team.

Using hand gestures and waving their weapons the Nereids stood up and walked back to the barge.

 

Jones noticed they took the now nearly full fruit baskets with them and didn't mind. Jones climbed back on Nightmare and she hopped from tree to tree in small flights.

The kid did the same and soon enough they came upon the barge.

 

The Nereids paused for a second when they saw the barge had been taken and marched forward without being told.

 

Jones saw the guards handcuffed and young Trisha watching them with her laser rifle at a low ready position. Opening the link to the general comm channel Jones spoke to Tee-Kay.

 

“Tee-Kay. I think you should address these people. Let them know they will be taken to Camp Freedom. ” Jones said recalling where all Nereid prisoners would be taken. It was a vast farm plot on Paradise island with its own lake fed by a small river.

 

“By the look of these people. I think they will be very happy to work on a farm with all the food they can eat. Until, they are clear to leave. ” Tee-Kay said over the comm.

 
 

“Tee-Kay is right. These people look under fed and few of them are sick. ” Tina Shift said her medic mind looking over each person. A few looked sickly or just recovering from something.

Tee-Kay removed her helmet and step in front of the Nereid people as they sat down on the deck of the barge. Those with children holding them close on their laps. Jones saw a good number of the Nereid people had noticed the slight baby bump Tee-Kay had.

 

“My name is Tiffany or just Tee-Kay. We are not your enemy. Our fight are with those who attack crews on sea ships. ” Tee-Kay said waving a hand in the general direction of the captured guards.

 

“We have a place set aside for you. You will be expected to grow your own food and answer questions. The place is well guarded and all families will be allowed to stay together. We have aircraft that will take you there within the hour. Stay calm and go ahead and eat some of that fruit. ” Tee-Kay finished and Jones could tell most of the Nereids would happily give up everything they know.

 

Tina and Trisha removed their helmets and handed their weapons off to another rider. They went among the Nereid group offering water and some medical aid to those who look like they could use it.

 

Jones watched as they ate and waited. There was a bit of excitement when a lone Ripper came out of a clearing to look at the barge over from a distance. The Ripper must have thought better in trying to attack them then moved away.

 

Jones walked up to Tee-Kay and only noticed then she had a nasty looking burn mark on her flight suit in the shoulder area. Pink newly formed skin could be seen where her skin was exposed.

 

“Lucky shot. ” Tiffany said and didn't explain it any further.

 

Jones nodded and quietly watched the sky. It wasn't long until three aircrafts came down for a landing. Looking more like a passenger craft then a prison transport.

 

Medics departed with a group of OverWatch guards who came aboard the barge. They offered fresh water and gently check out anyone who let them.

 

“Another batch of swimmers for the farm. We just had another team of riders caught an even smaller group about an hour ago. We detected other sea vessels, but they went under the water before we got close. Pilots from the other aircraft told me the group they got were like lambs. Considering these people are being used to collect food in a dangerous area like this. My best guess is that they are just a common labor force or considered to be a lower class. ” An OverWatch guard with the last name of Mous said to Jones.

 

“No shield belts on those guys. Maybe something only higher rank Nereid guards can own. ” Jones said noticing Mous was looking over the Nereid guards for something.

 

“Don't know if you heard. Freetown was attacked and rumor is they gave these Nereids hell. I hear tell they even captured two sea vessels after laying waste to four of them in the harbor. ” The guard said eager to tell Jones the latest rumored news.

 

“We call Nereid ships, Skimmers. ” Jones said

 

“You fleas come up with some pretty good names. ” The OverWatch guard said back and motioned to the rest of his men to get the prisoners moving.

 

The next time Jones would see the prisoners he was in for a shock just how well they were treated. Through briefings and on behalf of Mr. Knight he saw Camp Freedom for himself.

Nereids looked well-fed and proven to be good farmhands during the rainy season.

 

The barracks were perhaps a bit cramp, but Nereids didn't seem to mind too much. Jones learned later on through interviews and Intel gathered. The group he had captured were treated worse among their own people. Known as the common class, they were little better off then a plow horse on a very busy farm.

 

After getting full meals and getting the regeneration injections so they wouldn't fall ill anymore. The Nereids labor class were very grateful and almost eager to tell all. Unlike the Nereid guards who were slower to answer any questions.

 

Jones learned quite a bit how many ships the Nereids had left. The current number somewhere around thirty left and ten of them were mostly used for living space which held only a few hundred people on each.

 

Jones understood why the Nereid Skimmers retreated from aircraft. They were losing this little war and they knew it.

 

The location of the Nereid colony was pretty much an open secret since they set up on some distant islands nearly on the far side of Eden. A fact Jones had learned from Tiffany who heard it from her father. Those series of Islands were small and couldn't feed hundreds of people. Hence the reason they sent people to the mainland and attack shipping lanes to take the food being transported.

 

Chapter 20: Change

 

The rainy season ended and Tiffany reluctantly took leave from her job as a rider. Anytime she wanted to fly anywhere she would have to do it inside an aircraft from here on out.

 

As predicted Madam Grace did find a use for Tee-Kay as an extra hand and she became a teacher among the younger children. The children were eager to learn from someone who was a celebrity on Eden.

 

To take her mind off of not flying Jones took his wife out for a romantic dinner.

 

With so many people needed elsewhere for jobs. Androids were now more of a common sight. Jones like a lot of people on Eden were getting used to seeing them nearly everywhere.

Even as they sat down and enjoyed the view their android waitress made sure they had enough refills. Tiffany was the first to notice the female looking Android was not using her left arm. It hung limp at her side. The name tag on her uniform read Ann.

 

“Something wrong with your left arm? ” Tiffany asked and Jones took his eyes off the centerpiece of the restaurant. The jumping water fountains with its light effects made for an interesting view while a person was waiting.

 

“It is okay, Mrs. I was damaged by a customer recently. ” Ann said.

 

“Just now?” Jones asked looking around if trying to find the person.

 

“No, sir. It happen yesterday. The Peacekeepers have already arrested the man. I will be repaired soon. ” Ann said and Jones nodded then saw another female android come into the restaurant. This one looking like a teenage girl.

 

She was wearing a uniform like a repairman might wear. Various tools could be seen in her top pockets and the side pockets of her clothing.

 

She was speaking to the manager and he pointed her toward Ann. The android walked over and the manager followed.

 

“Hey folks. My name is Frank and I'm the manager here. I'm sorry to do this, but Ann needs a bit of repairing. I can personally serve you until she is repaired in just a few minutes. ” Frank said.

 

“We can wait. We are not sure what we want yet. In fact, I like to see Ann being repaired. ” Tiffany said and Jones nodded. Frank seem to think it over for a few seconds and saw they were pretty much tucked away in the back.

 

“Just wave your hand if you need anything. ” Frank said then nodding to the female repair android as he walked off in a hurry to tend to another matter.

 

“Hello, Captain Milo Jones. I hope my sister android made a nice gift.” Eve said and It took Jones a few seconds to remember that voice.

 

“Oh, hello Eve. ” Jones said and watched as Eve motioned for Ann to sit at an empty table across from them and went to work on Ann's arm. Eve talked to Jones and his wife while she worked.

 

“Very much so. We have given her a personality by allowing her to merge with Ada our house AI. ” Jones said and Tiffany introduce herself.

 

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Jones. I hope you are well. ” Eve said

 

“Perfect health. Thank you for asking. I have heard so much about you. You might know my mother, Julie Knight. ” Tiffany said next.

 

“Yes, she is always polite to me and treats me like an equal. ” Eve said.

 

As the women went on talking Jones study Eve's face and saw a lot of the features from the child Eve model. It was like she grew up since the last time he saw her. The voice was almost the same perhaps a bit deeper in a female tone to show maturity.

 

Jones's attention wandered to another couple eating nearby. A young teen duo enjoying a meal. The man sporting a short beard and the woman with shocking pink hair. They looked happy and seemed to be in a deep conversation.

 

Then Jones found himself alert as the noise of a hurricane siren went off. It was the same time Eve finished repairing Ann's arm.

 

Deep booms like thunderclaps and Jones got up along with Tiffany to look out the windows.

Then a shock wave hit making the windows rattle around them and screams from people startled by it. Jones bent low as Tiffany did the same.

 

The lights flickered and came back on.

 

“What the hell is that? ” A man half yelled looking at the air just outside the restaurant windows. A light red mist seemed to fall. Whatever it was gave Jones a bad feeling.

 

Frank the manager shut the doors, but Jones thought it was a pointless action. Looking up he saw the vents that would lead outside.

 

Five minutes passed before they got any answers.

 

Every smart device, Smart-watch and even the monitors mounted on the walls blacked out and a man's face appeared.

 

Jones's first impression was of a regal, but arrogant man.

 

“People of Alpha, Utopia and Freetown. I'm high lord Andew. By now, you must have realized our attack upon your cities was successful. We shall become one people now. Using our advanced technology we have released an evolution virus over your cities to make you more like us. You only have to suffer a few days of sickness then will have the blessing to breathe and move underwater just as freely as we do. Rejoice for we shall become one people. ” High lord Andew said putting on a false smile. As Jones study his face he noticed that Andew looked sickly and sweaty from what he could see.

 

The video feed ended and went back to the normal news networks. Jones guessed those in charge managed to regain control over the news channels.

 

The news now showed a missile flying in the air as it passed by the OverWatch Tower and then being destroyed by gunfire from newly installed gun turrets. The missile exploding just past this side of the mountain.

 

The whole thing caught by an evening reporter doing a live story up on the wall. Lucky for her the camera drone was facing back toward the city.

 

Jones felt a bit light-headed then and judging from Tiffany she felt the same. The virus must have gotten into the building.

 

Moments later, Jones felt fine if there was no more ill-feeling.

 

Looking around he saw others experiencing the same thing.

 

“The regeneration gene we have must have just kicked in. ” Tiffany said shaking her head to clear it.

 

“All the same maybe we should swing by the hospital to have you checked out. ” Jones said looking down at her belly where his unborn child was.

 

“Are you kidding? Half the city will go there in fear of this virus. Most people will forget the fact that we don't get sick for very long. I feel fine and I'm still hungry. ” Tiffany said talking Jones out of leaving.

 

“Your right. It will be a madhouse down there. Fine, but I'm calling a medic as soon as we get back home. ” Jones said retaking his seat. Tiffany did the same picking up the menu if nothing had happened.

 

Meanwhile, outside the restaurant Peacekeepers were assuring people and asking them to move along.

 

“I must be going, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. I hope to see you again. ” Eve said and left the couple as Ann stood up to take their orders. Ann's left arm now working.

 

True to his word Jones did call, but it was hours later before a medic showed up.

 

The young man checked out both of them and even took blood samples. He told them not to worry since not a single person appeared to be affected by the virus as far as they could tell.

It was days later when Jones and Tiffany got the news during one of the joint meetings with OverWatch Command that there was a side effect of the virus after being released.

 

The virus had been beaten back in adults, but it had altered the DNA of people slightly so it became part of them. It wasn't enough to start any changes in adults, but all unborn children would be effected from here on out. They had run computer simulations after compiling all the data so far.

 

Tiffany worried about her unborn child and only relaxed. When it was reported that there was only a small percent chance that any child would be born with gills and webbed hands.

It was weeks later when the first child was born with gills and webbed hands. A little boy by the name of Joshua. He was the first swimmer born on Eden whose parents weren't Nereids.

 

 

The news network ran a video clip of him dressed in only a diaper half-submerged in a clear tub of water. He seemed happy to stay in the water and his proud mother showed the camera his little webbed hands with slightly longer fingers then a normal person.

 

Sheriff Kain and Mariana just happen to be at the Jones place for a visit the same weekend when the story was broadcast. Jones happily showed them the sights and learned from Kain that some of the Nereid people came to Freetown to surrender in hopes of becoming citizens. Kain was explaining how things were going.

 

“I admit relationships were a bit cold between us and them, but in time we warmed up to the idea of living together. Mariana is pretty much a bonafide princess in their culture. Just in case your security clearance isn't high enough. You didn't hear from me that a lot of the Nereid people are getting worse with sickness. The Nereids have told me a good number of them have already fallen ill and died. That high lord of theirs has locked himself away and there was rumors even his guards were abandoning their posts. Those refugees who came to us did so for the regeneration treatment. Apparently the word is spreading after they realized that the virus of theirs did almost nothing to us. ” Kain explained

 

“Yeah, Tiffany was telling me how they had to put the regeneration treatment into mass production again and even have crates of the stuff loaded onto aircrafts. Call it war propaganda, but they are offering the treatment to all Nereids who wish to surrender to end this little war. We know that they are able to listen in on our news channels. ” Jones said.

Kain looked out from the glass doors to see Mariana talking to Ada. Judging from the pointing fingers Ada was telling Mariana what the different plants were.

 

Something outside caught their attention and Kain saw a drone hovering a few yards away from Mariana. The camera focused on her. The news feed changed to a live video feed of Mariana. Both men saw this and realized what it meant.

 

The Nereids would learn that Mariana was alive and well. No longer a rumor among her people.

 

“That is a news drone for sure. I wondered, how they found you. It's not like your face or mine were slightly famous during your trial. Your white Leather-Wing doesn't stick out either. ” Jones said in a sarcastic tone as he went outside with Kain at his side.

 

Kain pulled his laser pistol out then pointed at the drone and Jones moved his arm down. Before Kain could pull the trigger.

 

“Best not. Destroying private property, Sheriff. ” Jones said quietly and the Drone's camera turned to face him and Kain next.

 

“Mister Kain, I'm getting a message via the drone. They wish to have an interview with you at this very moment. ” Ada said.

 

“I will allow three questions. ” Kain said reluctantly if knowing something like this was coming. He put away his laser pistol but kept his hand on his belt.

 

“What would you say to all Nereids who haven't surrendered? ” Ada asked looking from the drone to Kain.

 

“I say they are a bunch of fools. We have taken in a lot of war refugees by the hundreds and cured them of all illnesses. Including Nereids taken by folks from Alpha and Utopia. Even those captured are well on their way to becoming free citizens. Wise up and give up this war. ” Kain said speaking directly.

 

“Shouldn't princess Mariana be with her own people? ” Ada asked her attention going to the drone then to Kain again.

 

“Yeah, but we tried that once. Didn't go so well the first time. Mariana took a laser bolt right to the heart. Thankfully, she was given the regeneration treatment during her rescue. Seeing how the High Mistress try to kill her twice. She is under my protection now, until she is a full-grown woman. Me and my wife consider her our own little princess. ” Kain said reaching down to pick up Mariana. She leaned into his chest showing everyone how much she came to see Kain as her new father.

 

“Why not give the regeneration treatment to the Nereid people freely as a sign of peace? ” Ada asked glancing from the drone to Kain.

 

“And what? Have this war go on for months or years. They want the regeneration treatment so bad. We have crates full of it waiting for them right here. All they have to do is agree to a peaceful outcome. ” Kain said and nodded to Jones. They walked back inside.

 

“We are done talking, Ada. ” Jones said and Ada went back to tending her plants. Then Jones entered back inside.

 

The drone hovered for another minute before flying off, but the news feed switched back to a female reporter somewhere in a building.

 

Jones listened as she spoke.

 

“There you go, citizens. Straight from Sheriff Kain's own lips. If the Nereid people are listening. I hope personally, you will join us in peace. ” The female reporter said and Jones muted the audio.

 

“Damn, Kain. Ever thought about becoming the mayor of Freetown? ” Jones said smirking.

 

“Hel...Heck no. ” Kain said putting Mariana down to go play.

 

“Anyway, I will get dinner started. Tiffany will be back soon. She is helping some of her students with school work. The spare bedroom is yours for as long as you need it. ” Jones said remembering Kain took a week off from his duties to visit.

 

Jones like the rest of the people of Alpha city had no idea how much of an impact Kain's short interview would have.

 

Jones was woken in the middle of the night two days later. It was close enough to his normal alarm clock going off he felt alert. Tiffany was groaning to herself checking her own smartphone.

 

“I really hope this is another drill. ” Jones said seeing the message that told him to suit up and be at the Leather-Wing bay.

 

“They want me to go to the landing pad just outside the OverWatch Tower. ” Tiffany said a bit confused, but putting on something more comfortable for outdoor work.

 

They kissed just before they departed from each other and Jones walked into a bit of chaos. Riders and Leather-Wings were busy getting ready. Jones was walking to Nightmare's stall when Crystal came out.

 

“She is up there. ” Crystal said looking a bit embarrassed in telling him this news. Jones looked and saw it was Blood-Wing's alcove. Jones walked up the stairs and found Nightmare ready to go. Jones saw Blood-Wing was beside his Leather-Wing

 

“You dog, Blood-Wing. Tee-Kay's having a baby so you want one now? ” Jones asked the male Leather-Wing and then calling Nightmare out. With both Leather-Wings, he was surprised that Crystal could squeeze in there to prepare Nightmare for flying.

 

Jones doubled check everything out of habit and waited for his team. They arrived and were the first to form up. Madam Grace came out to address everyone.

 

“Riders, We got a small fleet of Skimmers heading our way. They are sending out a message asking for a peaceful meeting. We accepted of course, but we want a show of force just in case this is some kind of trick. Take your teams out now and land on the beach on the other side of this mountain. Land behind the troops already in place and wait. ” Madam Grace called out loudly and Jones pulled on his flight helmet then gave the order to fly.

 

Sensing something was wrong Blood-Wing followed after. Jones smiled knowing he had an extra Leather-Wing

 

The flight was short and Jones followed the orders from Madam Grace. Jones soon found himself impressed by the number of men and women behind cover.

 

Fifth-teen minutes later Kain and Mariana riding Reaper landed close to Jones. Before Jones could ask him why he came. An aircraft came down landing on the sand. Jones was expecting a troop transport with more shooters. Instead, he knew that ship and he even learned how to fly it. It was Brutus's aircraft. Then Edward Knight, Brutus, and Tiffany exit out. All of them were dressed in some type of battle armor.

 

Mr. Knight carried his sword at his side, but the laser rifle on his back told Jones he was willing to join the fight if needed. Tiffany had her sniper rifle with her and carried a smaller version of her father's sword at her side.

 

Brutus carried only a laser pistol recently made by the look of it. As Blood-Wing spotted Tiffany. She saw him and Jones. Tiffany gave the hand command for stay and went on following her father.

 

“Kain, Why are you here? ” Jones asked.

 

“I think they are coming here because of what I said. Before you ask. Mariana is here because she wanted to be here. She seems to think if they see her maybe they consider being more peaceful. I agreed with her. She is living proof that we have the regeneration treatment. ” Kain explained.

 

Their attention was caught by marching steps of something metal.

 

“Androids? ” Jones asked out loud then disregard that idea as the footsteps sounded heavy.

 

The Exoskeletons Mechs with pilots inside came marching out of the train tunnel and spread along the lines. One Exoskeleton Mech came up to stand in front of Jones. The mirror canopy helmet opened and Smitty's smiling face looked at them.

 

“Morning fellows. Like my new suit. Slimmer then last year's model and check this out. ” Smitty said stepping back and a four-foot blade came out from his mech's wrist then retracted back just as fast.

 

“What the hell is that? ” Kain asked forgetting to watch his words this time with little ears sitting in the saddle behind him. Kain was pointing to Smitty's mech shoulder.

 

“Laser canon, old man. Recharge time is about twenty seconds, but it cuts through their armor and shields like butter. ” Smitty answered.

 

“You look like Iron-man on steroids. ” Jones joked and Smitty grinned back.

 

“Attention, men and women of Eden. You all know me or you should. We don't expect trouble, but be prepared. No one fire, unless we start taking heavy fire first. We hope they come here in peace to work out a deal. Relax and be ready when they come into view. ” Edward Knight said over various device speakers and his words showing up as text on displays.

 

Edward was center stage and looking over the layers of defenses. Jones could tell they been rushed, but if he was coming from the water to attack he turned back no matter the size of his army. The bipedal mechs alone would make him think twice.

 

Time seemed to fly by and the morning light came. Jones figured if the attack was going to happen. Now would be a perfect time.

 

Then someone spotted the Skimmers coming. It was a small fleet of them and they were spread out in a wide line. Smitty using the zoom feature on his mech suit was able to get a count of Fifth-teen of them.

 

“They are slowing down. Wait, one Skimmer is still going. Its path is heading for the dock. ” Smitty reported to Jones.

 

Jones got a personal audio message from Mr. Knight.

 

“Jones, bring one mech with you and ask if Kain is willing to join you. Have Mariana hide behind the mech just in case this is a trick. ” Edward Knight's voice said and Jones looked to see the man looking at him as he put his hand to the side of his opened helmet.

Jones used his external speakers to be heard.

 

“Smitty with me. Team, stay here, and watch our backs. Kain, Edward Knight just invited you to join the welcome party. Mariana will be behind Smitty for protection. ” Jones said and ordered his Leather-Wing to walk forward.

 

Nightmare was careful not to trample on anyone and Kain followed the path they created through the line of men. Smitty was last and there was a slight hum as his laser cannon was warming up.

 

They joined Edward Knight and he nodded to them then went back to watching the single Skimmer coming forward to dock.

 

The sea vessel settled and pulled up the dock just like in Freetown. A few men emerged and Jones saw right away they were unarmed. In fact, he knew the man in front. Jones had pegged him as the head guard.

 

“I'm Rio, High guard leader to the royal family. I have an urgent message for your leaders. Our high lord has gone mad and on his way to attack. My people are dying of illnesses that we have never seen before. High Lord Andew is not of the royal blood but married into it. We have abandoned him to serve a true heir of the royal blood. You call her by the title of princess Mariana. ” Rio said and Jones noticed the man was sweating and not too steady on his feet.

 

Jones noticed that the conversation was being broadcast through every speaker behind them. Everyone could hear what was going on.

 

Mariana peaked out from behind Smitty's battle mech and the Nereid guards spotted her. Like a wave effect, they slowly bent to one knee then bowed their heads.

 

“You are sick? ” Mariana said sounding very concern for Rio.

 

“Yes, High Mistress. Forgiveness, for my body's weakness. ” Rio said if expecting death to come.

 

Mariana looked up at Kain before speaking.

 

“We should help them. ” Mariana said and Kain nodded then looked at Edward Knight.

Faster then Jones could have imagined Edward Knight withdrew his sword pointing it at Rio's throat.

 

“What are you willing to pay for peace? Your life, perhaps. If so, do you have a last request? ” Edward Knight asked in a cold tone that made Jones think there was a darker side to the man he had never seen before.

 

“Yes, if High Mistress in waiting wishes it. I asked you only to save my people. We heard there are airships just waiting to be sent. Those closest to death are aboard our vessels. My second in command will serve in my place. Our people await treatment here and on the islands. ” Rio said raising his head up so the sword had a clear swing for his neck.

 

“Princess Mariana requests we help you. For the sake of peace between us. I agree. Rise up, Rio. Your life's work is not done yet. ” Edward Knight said and Rio stood up.

 

Edward Knight lowered his sword and placed it back at his side. He tapped something on his wrist control.

 

A few seconds later he looked up and waves of aircrafts flew overhead. Some broke off to fly low to the skimmers out to sea. Crates were dropped and floated near each of the Skimmers.

 

Edward Knight then motion for a group of medics he must have had on standby to come forward.

 

The medics went to work on each of the Nereids. One of the Nereids called into the Skimmer. Slowly men, women, and children came out in a single line to get injected.

 

One boy was being carried by his mother and Rio motioned her forward. Mother and son were injected then Rio's body seemed to relax more as his son stirred awake. Father and son looked so much alike that Jones could see it in the boy's face.

 

“Rio, I have aircrafts on the way to the chain of islands you call home. They will drop crates with the regeneration treatment down with instructions. Tell us about this attack coming. ” Edward Knight asked.

 

Jones noticed the speakers no longer carried the conversation at this point.

 

“Andew has taken those most loyal to him to attack Beta Site and Utopia. We sent warning messages to those locations and Utopia assured us the river is well defended. Beta site is the weaker target and Andew plans to overload our largest reactor where the water falls into the river. He has gone insane from his sickness and we know this because he ordered us to attack Alpha City. We knew this task was to be our death and decided to serve one of the royal blood instead. ” Rio said looking at Mariana again.

 

“Beta Site will be destroyed if we don't move fast. Hundreds of lives will be lost. ” Edward Knight said to Brutus and the big man nodded.

 

“I can shut down the reactor, but I must first get inside. I'm ready to die for peace if I must. ” Rio said and Edward Knight nodded then looked at Smitty.

 

“Brutus, we are going to need a can opener. You think that mech suit can fit aboard your aircraft. ” Mr. Knight asked his bodyguard and the big man nodded.

 

“I'm coming too. I can pick off anyone from a good safe distance. ” Tiffany said gripping her rifle tight.

 

Edward Knight look like he was going to argue with his daughter, but something in her steely gaze made him hold his tongue. Instead, he nodded and moved toward the aircraft.

 

“My team will be behind you. We can flank better then you can. ” Jones said through his external speakers not willing to let his wife go into danger without him.

 

“Hopefully, the matter will be done by the time your team gets there. ” Mr. Knight said and boarded the aircraft with Rio, Brutus, Tiffany and finally Smitty.

 

Jones ordered his team to follow him and watching the aircraft blast off ahead of them filled him with dread. They were heading off to stop a mad man with a bomb.

 

Whatever aircraft were left also passed Jones's team heading right for Beta site. A Deja-vu feeling came over Jones as Beta Site was being abandoned once more.

 

Jones knew that not everyone would make it off of Beta Site in time if they failed. He feared for his wife, unborn child and those who would be caught in the blast zone.

 

Jones arrived with his team and saw the top floor crowded with people. aircrafts landed and filled with people. It would take hours for them to clear everyone.

 

“Okay, team. Search the river. ” Jones said and the Leather-Wings dive down to fly under the large tree branches.

 

“Three Skimmers..we...under heavy fire. ” A broken transmission came in over their internal speakers of the rider's helmets a few minutes later.

 

Jones noticed a series of dots appeared on his heads up display. The Nereids must have been trying to jam the signal.

 

The sound of a sniper rifle echoed through the trees and lancing laser fire could be seen just ahead through a break in the trees. It appeared they were cutting their way up the river.

“Form up in the branches and we can catch them in a crossfire. Kid, let our people know where we are. I want to avoid any friendly fire. ” Jones ordered and his team took up a spot. The Skimmers were in view and appeared to be refitted for fighting. One appeared to be disabled. Nereids in uniforms were firing from the hatches or even from the water using their ship as cover.

 

Jones's team had them flanked and the ones in the water would be easy shots from their angle.

 

“Take out the ones in the water first. Those inside the ship are pretty much pinned down. ” Jones ordered and pulled out his own laser pistol to aim carefully.

 

As the swimmers came up to shoot. Some of them were shot from the side. It took longer then Jones expected for some of the Nereids to realized that another group of shooters had joined the fight.

 

The skimmers seemed to be bottled necked, but the damaged Skimmer in the front was sinking fast. The last Skimmer was firing off one big laser beam from its own canon. Jones saw it was burning tunnels through the giant size trees that grew on Eden. In the same case, the trees were on fire.

 

“By the time that laser cannon goes off. It's like trying to hit a fly with a sledgehammer. ” The kid said picking off another swimmer.

 

“I'm worried about the mech pilot. He can't move as fast as the others. The jungle must be messing with their target sensors. ” Jones replied back hitting another Nereid himself.

 

Laser bolts shot past him and a few came close to hitting Nightmare. The Leather-Wing huddled down growling.

 

The middle Skimmer went forward then and Jones watched in shock as it's laser cannon turned and fired on the last ship. The entire front of it exploded sending the Skimmer into a tailspin. The last working Skimmer took off out of sight around the river bend.

 

“What the hell? That bastard is leaving his men to die. ” Tina said over the comm.

 

“Tina, you're in charge. I'm going after that last Skimmer. ” Jones said not sure what he was going to do.

 

“Trade me. ” Tina said tossing him her laser rifle. Jones carefully tossed her his laser pistol in return. He also still carried his old school guns and his dagger.

 

“Thanks. ” Jones said and took off flying after the Skimmer on the back of Nightmare. It wasn't long until they reached it and Jones order Nightmare to fly ahead. Taking aim over his Leather-Wing shoulder he fired. Aiming for the glass-like canopy of the skimmer. Neat little laser holes appeared and one of his shots must have hit someone controlling the Skimmer. The Skimmer swayed to the right and left then hit a large rock sticking out of the river.

The laser canon firing just as the Skimmer spun.

 

The white-hot beam just missing Nightmare's wing as they banked away from it. Nightmare's natural instincts saving both of them.

 

“Good girl!” Jones hooted not realizing his voice carried through the outside speakers.

 

Jones flew around aiming for the laser canon and seeing the Skimmer had been torn open by the rock. An aircraft flew down then behind the Skimmer. Through the open back door Jones saw Rio jump down into the river below.

 

With Jones as a distraction, Rio climbed aboard the Skimmer and slipped inside the torn open hull.

 

As Jones made another pass he saw that two escape pods launched into the air heading directly into the jungle as they arched upward.

 

Jones knew that had to be High Lord Andew running like the coward he was. The aircraft flew after the pods and Jones followed behind them.

 

They found the pods just inside a jungle clearing. Laser bolts lanced out from behind the trunk of a massive tree. Jones flew overhead to see the aircraft had landed and from the sides he saw Edward Knight, Brutus, and Tiffany firing back. Smitty appeared to ready himself to fire his laser canon.

 

A figured behind the guards moved slowly away taking cover and retreating into the darker shadows of the jungle.

 

Jones saw the face and knew it was High Lord Andew. He flew down and Nightmare weaving around branches. Swooping down to cut him off and forcing him to change direction.

 

The sight of the Leather-Wing made him turn tail once more and Jones repeated the dive noticing the man was unarmed but holding something.

 

“I got eyes on Andew. He is running for it and he has got something in his hand. Use my location to come to us. ” Jones reported back.

 

Lord Andew stumbled into another clearing with a few trees growing in it looking around wildly for an escape.

 

Jones landed his Leather-Wing. A second later Jones was aiming the laser rifle on him. Lord Andew put his hands up to shoulder level and Jones spotted the device he held. It looked like a cell phone at first glance. Using his free hand Jones unhook himself and slid down off of Nightmare keeping the laser rifle on Lord Andew.

 

The man looked more sickly and was drenched in sweat. Jones wondered if his mind was still all there.

 

“Back you savage. I will do it. I will turn all of us to dust. ” Lord Andew said his thumb over a button.

 

“Andew has a remote trigger. ” Jones said over the general comm channel and heard an aircraft coming down.

 

Watching his rearview camera feed. The aircraft turned and the back door opened. Smitty was first out then most of those aboard spilled out. Tiffany aiming her sniper rifle.

 

“Hold your fire. I think, he has a remote trigger. ” Jones said through his loudspeakers and through the general comm channel.

 

“High Lord Andew. What do you want? ” Edward Knight asked walking slowly forward with Brutus at his side. Smitty moved forward as well with Tiffany trying to lock onto the man. High Lord Andew was shifting around so much Jones knew it had to be a tricky shot to make. She would have only one chance to get it right.

 

“That airship. I take that. I must get out of the blast area. ” High Lord Andew said swaying and moving around so he could walk the long way around to the ship. He eyed each of them watching their weapons.

 

“Fine. Do you know how to fly one of our airships? ” Edward Knight asked stalling for time.

 

High Lord Andew looked from the airship and back at them. Clearly, he didn't and his fevered mind wasn't thinking logically anymore. Perhaps he had gone insane by this point.

 

“Brutus is the best pilot you can find. He can take you home. How about it? Would you like to go home? Climb into a soft bed and just sleep. ” Edward Knight asked in a calming tone.

 

Overhead the clouds blocked out the sun bringing the entire clearing into a semi-darkness. The wind shifted and Nightmare let out a growl and her focus changed to a spot beyond Andew on the edge of the jungle. A scent blowing in the wind alerted her to danger.

 

Before High Lord Andrew could answer. It seemed part of the tree behind him moved. Jones was confused by this and watched as the insane man before him sense or heard the danger behind him. He turned slowly and the Drac-Ko opened its eyes and jumped at him.

The Drac-Ko's camouflage made it match the tree almost perfectly.

 

High Lord Andrew died without even screaming his voice lost as he looked on in horror.

 

The remote trigger falling to the ground. Then more shapes moved from the trunks of trees. More Drac-Ko's moved from the dark jungle beyond. All of them charging at the people in the clearing.

 

The sound of a sniper rifle rang out killing the one that had killed High Lord Andrew. Another fell from Smitty's laser canon. Jones fired next watching as the laser bolts hit the Drac-Ko, but not getting past the thick scale skin of the creature.

 

Edward Knight moved in to attack with his Katana flashing as Jones tossed his laser rifle.

 

Edward Knight saving Jones's life in the process. The Drac-Ko screeched in pain and before Edward could slash it again the tail of the creature whipped around. Edward Knight went flying and slamming his back into a tree. The sword leaving his hand the moment he was tail whipped.

 

Brutus came charging in next as Jones put his hands on his twin pistols. Movement from his side view caught his attention. He barely saw Brutus jump and lock his arms around the injured Drac-Ko's neck. The man's massive long arms locked into place.

 

Jones was firing at the Drac-Ko coming in on his side. This time his bullets hit home and took out the eye of the Drac-Ko. A weakness he recalled from his trip to the museum and seeing Edward Knight using his sword just now.

 

Expecting the tail whip Jones moved out of the way. Then firing his pistols until he ran dry.

Jones noticed the katana on the ground just to his right and thought about reloading his pistols.

 

The Drac-Ko he been shooting at had all its attention on him with its one good eye. Jones knew at that very moment he had no time to reload.

 

Dropping his guns he ran for the katana. The Drac-Ko perhaps thinking he was trying to flee leaped into the air to take him.

 

Sliding his body Jones scooped up the katana and Jones braced himself as the Drac-Ko landed on top of him. The katana going through the softer underside of the jaw and piercing out through the top of the head. Jones was pinned to the ground as he felt the wind was knocked out from him as the full dead weight hit him.

 

A cracking sound nearby and painful screech later Brutus stood up breathing harder then Jones could ever recall the man doing so before.

 

“Fucking Puta. Die, you bitch! ” Smitty's voice said loudly over the general comm channel.

Jones try to see what was going on, but his view was limited.

 

“Brutus, a little help. ” Jones said using his external speakers.

 

The big man was there and pushing hard to roll the dead Drac-Ko off of Jones.

 

Jones glanced at the Drac-Ko that Brutus jumped on and knew the only way Brutus could have killed it was by snapping its neck. A feat of strength Jones wasn't sure he could do himself.

 

Looking at Smitty he saw him spearing his Drac-Ko with that wrist blade his mech suit had. That Drac-Ko was the biggest of the bunch perhaps seeing Smitty as the main threat. His suit was badly damaged and his laser cannon had been torn off in the attack. His mech laid slumped against a tree with the large dead Drac-Ko over the suit's legs.

 

Jones looked for Tiffany and his heart sank as he saw two more Drac-Ko clawing at the aircraft's opened back door. Jones guessed they were a mother Drac-Ko and its offspring.

One of them was much smaller and moving about looking for a way in. The larger one was snapping its jaws at someone inside. A sniper rifle shot could be heard and muffled by the aircraft. The mother was trying to get to Tiffany. Jones was on his feet running for all he was worth. His only weapons a katana and a dagger.

 

Brutus started to move, but much slower.

 

As the mother Drac-Ko flinched away the smaller one darted inside. High pitch screeching could be heard and the mother Drac-Ko seemed to go into a rage. She hit the back of the aircraft so hard it rocked in place.

 

As Jones drew closer he watched as Tiffany was dragged out by her leg.

 

Just as the creature went in for another bite to kill Tee-Kay a pair of Leather-Wings swooped down clawing and biting at the mother Drac-Ko.

 

The mother Drac-Ko hissed and screeched as she thrashed away from the attacking Leather-Wings. Nightmare and Blood-Wing were working as a team to distract the Drac-ko.

 

Jones watched in horror as Nightmare's wing was caught by the creature's claw and ripped skin. It was only the thin skin part of the wing, but it was enough to bring his Leather-Wing down.

 

Blood-Wing enraged came down biting at the Drac-Ko's neck.

 

Tiffany rose up then charged in holding that smaller sword she carried. She drove the blade into the mother Drac-Ko's exposed eye and pushed it in deep. Blood-Wing hopping back sensing the fight was over with.

 

The mother Drac-Ko flinched back and jerked. The Drac-Ko fell sideways only twitching a little.

 

The high pitch screeching still coming from the ship inside.

 

Jones stopped stunned and looked about the clearing overjoyed no more Drac-Kos appeared.

 

Most of the people there were drenched in blood and slowly the sun broke through the overcast clouds above them. Brutus was watching his back looking everywhere for more trouble. Then the big man moved back to Mr. Knight.

 

Jones walk forward glancing over at the aircraft seeing that Tiffany had wrapped the baby Drac-Ko up in netting. The little Drac-Ko thrashing around trying to break free. Lying on the floor was her sniper rifle badly damaged. Jones noticed the teeth marks on it and the metal barrel was bent. Jones guessed she had used it to hold off the little baby Drac-Ko.

 

“I think my mother is going to be very happy with me. ” Tiffany said looking at the captured baby.

 

“Tiffany, your father. ” Jones said looking back and watching as Brutus dragged Edward Knight back to the aircraft. Tiffany ran to help.

 

Smitty arrived with his mech suit limping and only one arm working.

 

“Brother, I need a vacation. ” Smitty joked and he stared in shock at the baby Drac-Ko in the aircraft.

 

“Smitty, use that one working mech arm of yours to hold that little monster down. We are taking it with us, alive. I need to check on my Leather-Wing. ” Jones ordered and Smitty nodded.

 

Nightmare was okay and her wing was healing up. In a few minutes, she will be ready to fly again. Blood-Wing looked worn out from the fight, but healthy.

 

Jones removed his helmet and held out his hand to his Leather-Wing. Nightmare walked to him making that purring growling sound.

 

“You did real good, girl. Extra fish for you. ” Jones said gently and patting her on the head then neck with his free hand.

 

Jones returned to the aircraft and saw Edward Knight on the floor lying next to Smitty. Edward Knight was flat on his back. Smitty was propped against the wall and his mech hand had a firm hold of the still wrapped baby Drac-Ko like he was holding back a mean dog.

Jones, held out the katana. Brutus stepped forward and took it.

 

“Brutus, You know what must be done. ” Edward Knight said gasping for air struggling against what had to be a lot of pain.

 

Brutus nodded and motioned for Jones to come with him. Jones did so needing to get his guns and that trigger device. Brutus hacked off the head of each Drac-Ko and drag the heads back to the ship.

 

Jones watched as Brutus removed a tooth from the one he personally killed and pocketed it.

 

“Now, I got two Drac-Ko teeth. ” Brutus said with a smile and Jones nodded.

 

Jones couldn't believe that they had taken on a pack of Drac-Kos and lived. Overhead he heard a drone. It flew about in a lazy circle and returned to the aircraft.

 

“Can she fly? ” Brutus asked pointing at his Leather-Wing.

 

“Yeah, Race you back home. ” Jones said grinning and Brutus smiled back.

 

Jones wasn't there when Brutus's aircraft landed. He didn't see or hear the tongue lashing that Edward Knight got from his wife over getting his back broken. From what Jones heard through rumors it was the stuff of legends.

 

What Jones didn't know that Edward Knight had recorded the whole thing via the helmet cameras and drone launched from the aircraft. He had uploaded the entire series of videos to the open web network when they came within range of Alpha city.

 

By the time Jones landed in the bay to cheers and clapping he was hailed as a hero.

 

Jones learned the attack on Utopia City had failed and turned into a real disaster for the Nereids on the Skimmers. Rio had survived and managed to shut down the reactor with plenty of time to spare. Thanks to Rio's actions nothing happened and he managed to convince others to give up.

 

Two weeks later, the Nereids set up two small cities of their own using their ships as flotillas. One of them within sight of the OverWatch Tower on a good clear day. The second floating city was near an island just north of Freetown.

 

Slowly the Nereid people soon became a common sight on Eden. In exchange for food plants, they traded some of their technology. Sometimes there was trouble between Nereids and Eden citizens, but over time the fights became less common.

 

Edward Knight had recovered by then. Julie Knight seemed extremely happy they now had a live baby Drac-Ko locked away deep in the mountain to study until it died of old age. The security measures had been increased to ensure the creature could never escape nor could anyone release it.

 

At a joint peace ceremony to welcome all to Eden on the fairgrounds during the light festival. Tiffany Jones, Charles Smitty, Brutus Grant and Milo Jones were presented with their own Steel-X Katanas by the elders and council members. Medals were handed out naming them protectors of Eden.

 

Mariana named Rio as her steward. It took some time for Kain to explain it to Rio, but he agreed to the role until Mariana reached adulthood. Long dining tables had been set up during the ceremony.

 

Conversations soon started as people sat down to eat. Jones listened as talk turned to the topic of what it was like to kill a Drac-Ko. Jones had to admit it was like facing a monster out of a horror movie.

 

“You know what bro? ” Smitty asked Jones as they nearly finished with the meal.

 

“What? Jones asked knowing Smitty was going to tease him about something.

 

“Me and your woman have bigger balls then you. You only managed to kill one. Me and her killed two of those devils. ” Smitty said grinning.

 

“I think my metaphor conjones are a bit bigger, amigo. After all, I did catch one alive without a mech suit. ” Tiffany answered back with her own cheeky tone. The look of shock on Smitty's face sent the people at the table into laughter. Smitty joined in the laughter as he realized that Tiffany wasn't the kind of girl to hold back her words.

 

The rest of the evening passed in good conversation and ending slowly as guests left one by one.

0