Preparations
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Preparations

Sorry for the shorter chapter today.  I ended up making a number of cuts - you'll see them later - and I've learned my lesson about going back to 'redo' chapters that have been left on the shelf for too long.  I'm looking into a retrofit with regards to how our heroes skills are presented.  Again more on that later.

Tracy grunted as she hauled her staff forward.  A mass of clay tore free as the base hit the ground.  With all the grace of a deva, she turned and extended her arm.  The earthen mass launched suddenly and chewed through five trees before disintegrating into a shower of loose soil.

The training largely consisted of hucking stones, but Sally strongly suspected Tracy went above and beyond with her techniques.  Each iteration gained a layer of manipulation.  In some cases, shifting the ratio between toughness and versatility.  The average tree is no pushover, and Earth users typically found some difficulty working around the tenacious wood element.

This is where Tracy shined.  Where others saw obstacles, she saw assets.  What others hid and guarded, she used to dramatic affect.  She could abandon one technique, and repurpose the chakra to produce a follow up leaving next to no time for an opponent to launch a counterattack.

Her arrogance was uncanny, however the earth mistress wore it well.

“How long are you going to continue lurking like that?”

Sally raised her brow and leapt down from her perch.  The earth stirred soundlessly where she landed and the clay gained her features.  The illusion was just a temporary facade, “I didn’t realize you were so distracted.  Your composure is impressive for such an intense technique.”

Children who could access an element that young were fleetingly rare.  Those who developed applicable skills were prized.  Tracy was both and yet she managed to keep the appetite of the root corps at bay.

Sally added, “How long have you known I was watching?”  The question was rhetorical.  Tracy had such a grasp of her affinity that it could rival the collaborative efforts of Ago and Joseph.  She probably kept an account of trace elements as she used them.  Perhaps she’d developed in such a way as to interfere with sensors.

Tracy huffed, “You are not nearly as subtle as you claim to be.  You could be waving a banner and throwing pebbles and draw less attention to yourself.” She furrowed her brow in contempt, “That body of yours is disgusting.”

“I appreciate your honest feedback.  You might want to work on your bedside manner though.  You could hurt someone.”

Tracy rolled her eyes and turned back to the results of her technique, “That’s the point princess.  Only a fool would entertain delusions.  Consider it an honor that I make the effort to speak with you.” A ripple in the air gave her pause.  Tracy hadn’t flinched, but her chakra had stalled.

An aura ripped out from Sally’s person.  Vortices crashed against her like waves against a cliff face, and the air chilled with the promise of a storm.

“I do.  Your methods speak for themselves, however, if you intend to inflict pain on others then I will know what you are capable of.”  Looking up from the shadow of a bamboo hat, Sally added, “A sharp blade cuts clean where a rusty blade invites decay.”

Tracy took a step back and felt her feet begin to tremble.  Her eyes widened and her focus centered around her staff, “Do your worst.”

---

The eerie blue torchlight glinted across glass eyes.  Silver metal melting into place.  The light cut out suddenly as the goggles were pulled off.  Glaring at the intruder.

Silhouetted by a yellow light, the figure stepped into the cellar turned workshop, a gravelly voice spoke, “Afternoon.”

“Is it?” The younger boy asked, glancing at his watch, “Huh.  So how did it go?  Did the snake manage to last?”

Ago cleared his throat, then yelped as his forehead caught on a rafter.  Rubbing his brow he replied, “He beat me.”

The younger boy turned, his hair blended with the shadows.  His sharp blue eyes meeting bronze, “He what?” The boy rubbed his chin then probed, “I figured - in a situation like this - that all cards were on the table.  Did something come up?”

Ago shook his head, “I used my ace.”

“And he still beat you?” The boy cupped his chin.

“Enigma, do you think there might be a barrier that can absorb chakra?”

The raven, Enigma waved his hand, “You see suppression seals everywhere.  Of course, a specialist could configure one to do so.  You sure he wasn’t trained to do so by hand?”

Ago shook his head again, “When we fought, I felt something… wrapping around my body.  It triggered my kekkei, and yet it felt like my chakra was being held back, turned against itself.”

Enigma knit his fingers, “Some kind of genjutsu.”

Ago winced and bit back a curse, “I thought I was immune to those.”

Enigma shook his head, “Conventional methods, absolutely.  But there are those who are far more subtle, tenacious and insidious.  Your kekkei reacts to chakra manipulation.  It stands to reason that it would emerge to intercept such a technique.”  He folded his hands and rested his chin, “But to think you lost control like that.” his mouth drawn.

Ago scowled, “It wasn’t like that.  I lost the ability to shut it down, but I could still feel my kekkei responding.  It felt like looking into a mirror.  The closer I got, the further I was from where I needed to be.   I felt him grab my arm, and it was like my sword was being torn apart.”

Enigma blinked and cocked his head, doubt etched into his features, “You had him in a melee and lost?  Are you kidding?”

“I think there’s a reason the corps are walking on eggshells.  Something more to his power his power.” Ago rubbed his wrist, then glanced to the side, “It felt like fighting you.”

Enigma raised his brows ironically, “Yeah?  Well that’s why I have trouble believing it.  You’re able to suppress chakra with a glancing blow, and that’s before you use your aura.  If you were in a melee, genjutsu would backfire on them.”

Ago scratched his temple, “That’s what I meant though.  I couldn’t sense his chakra.  I felt mine expanding into him, but it didn’t feel right.  Like it was still my own body.”

Enigma’s eyes widened, and he straightened, “An ability thief?!” Then shook his head and turned back to his desk, “You’ve got a knack for finding problem children.  Don’t let him go until we can look into this.  And Ago~”

“Yeah?”

Enigma glanced over his shoulder, “Keep your head level.  The corp is preparing for a storm.”

0