Chapter 112
348 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I look as if Justus and his people are performing some kind of ritual in the middle of the forest. After a few minutes of chanting and dancing, the ghosts around us start to change color from black to white, and I can see their expressions change from anguish to relive.

Some of them even wave their hands at Asia and Kunou. I can even pick up their mouth movement and know they are thanking Asia and Kunou for defeating the Begu Ganjang. I inform the two of them about it, and they wave their hand at the departing spirits.

"Where are they going?"

I ask Justus as he wipes sweat from his forehead after he and the others are done with the ritual.

"Hmmm? Depends on their belief."

"I see. What to do now?"

"Well, we will return back to the base. If you want, we can escort you back home."

"Hmmm, sure. That would be helpful. I said I am visiting some friends and need you to act as my friend."

"That can easily be arranged. Anything else you want us to do?"

I think for a second before saying.

"Can you take us to Toba Lake? We want to visit it before we return to Japan."

"Toba Lake, huh? Sure. I can arrange it. However, I need to ask the guardian of the lake first."

"Eh? There is a guardian of Lake Toba?"

"That's right. The first guardian is a former princess called Princess Pusuk Buhit."

"Oh! I know this legend."

"Nope. It was not a legend. The story is misleading, but it contains some truth. Toba and Princess Pusuk Buhit married and had a child. However, instead of the curse being heard by the others, it was the gods who cursed Toba."

Yikes. Also, something got my attention.

"Gods? There are Native Gods from Indonesia?"

"Of course! What? You thought that there were only gods from other places, huh?"

"I am ashamed to admit it, but yes."

"No. There are native gods from this country. Hell, each island has its own gods, you know? At least, some still exist as most of them died from the lack of worship or were killed by other gods."

Right.

"You will meet one when we are visiting Lake Toba."

"Eh? Really?"

"Yup! I will not spoil the surprise. You need to meet them on your own."

"I see. I cannot wait to meet them."

==//==

"Thank you for the drink and snack, Aunty."

"Think nothing of it! You are also Nababan. You are practically family!"

Justus waves once again and enters his car before driving away. My mother looks at me and says,

"He is a good man. Tell him to visit every now and then, okay?"

"Sure. However, I cannot promise you that he will come as he has a job."

"Good! Now, go and take your girlfriend back to her room. She looks like she is about to fall over and go unconscious. Where are you taking them? Kunou and Asia look like they are very exhausted."

I smile at her words and say.

"Right. Right."

I look at Asia and say.

"Let's take you back to the bedroom, okay? You look exhausted after fighting and healing all the people back at the base."

Asia decided to heal the people back at the base as many people with injuries had not yet healed. It looks like Siborongborong gets attacked a lot by rogue dukun because they thought they could hide in the thick forest around them. This is also the reason why their branch was created.

Even dukun from other islands run there to hide or practice dark rituals revolving around human sacrifice.

"Thank you, Ryan."

I kiss her and say.

"Don't worry about it. I know that you will heal them when we arrive at their base. Your kindness knows no bounds, after all."

She smiles at me, and I take her back to her room. I tuck her on the bed and say.

"Sleep well, okay? Tomorrow, we will visit Lake Toba, and you need your energy because I don't think I can handle Kunou alone."

She giggles and says.

"Goodnight, Ryan."

"Goodnight, Asia. Have a pleasant dream."

She smiles at me and kisses me. I pat her head and leave the room.

As I leave the room, I can see my mother smile at me and say.

"When can I expect a grandchild?"

"What? The first day we introduced Kunou, you complained that you were too young to be a grandma. Now you want a grandchild?"

My mother only laughs and says.

"I am joking. I do want a grandchild, but it can wait until the two of you are ready. I did not want you to be a bad parent because you two are not ready for a child. Taking care of a child is a huge responsibility, after all. I only have you, and that is already a full-time job. And you are a relatively quiet child and independent. I don't know what kind of experience other mothers have when they have multiple children."

"Don't worry, mom. I will give you a grandchild. However, you are right. We are not yet ready. I still want to give you that massive ceremony, right?"

"That's right! I need my son to make a massive marriage ceremony!"

The two of us laugh at our words before my mother says.

"Where do you guys want to go from now on?"

"Hmmm, I want to take Asia and Kunou to Lake Tobe. Maybe take a boat to the island. Do you guys want to come as well?"

"Of course! It's been a while since we visited Lake Toba."

"Seriously? It is not that far, right?"

"No. However, my hometown is in Tarutung, so we rarely go there because most of our family live near us."

"Right. Anyway, Justus has a family member who will give us some rooms in their hotel."

"Eh? Really?"

"Yup. He owes me a favor and will give us the rooms at a discounted rate."

"I know he is a good guy."

I shake my head in amusement and say.

"Anyway, mom. Where is the Tuak dad bought yesterday?"

"*Gasp* Have you become an alcoholic, Ryan? I did not teach you that kind of behavior."

"I am not an alcoholic, mom. I also did not drink any Tuak last night. It is you and Dad who drink most of them! I even need to take you guys back to your room after the two of you get drunk and sing loudly in the middle of the night."

The two of us bicker with each other, but in the end, we drink together and have a pleasant night.

============

AN*

"Hello World" English 

"Hello World" Indonesian 

18