Chapter 16: Head to Head
75 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Becoming Monsters is the creation and property of Ai Loves, setting used with permission.

 

Also used with permission are Gooey and Hush, characters created by Moonwing and the stars of Becoming Monsters: Stay In Vegas. That story starts about three months before this one did, so this is in their future.

 

 

Chapter 16: Head to Head

 

An argument had broken out in History class, and Todd’s head was in his hands as students bickered. Tiny and Corey, beside him in their desks, shared in his misery. Not that it made them feel any better, but the professor who was struggling to regain control of the class wasn’t enjoying it either. On one side, led by a student who resembled nothing more than a pile of vines that somehow gained the ability to walk, were a bunch who felt that the Change three years ago made the study of past history much less relevant. On the other, led by a Human, were those who felt that the classic curriculum should be followed as it covered a much broader swathe of what humanity had been up to. Todd, personally, was physically unable to care less which side won this argument. He just wanted to learn what he was going to be tested on so that he could get out of here and do what actually interested him.

 

Tiny glanced at him. “Hey, remember when I said you should pay more attention in World History because you’re the Bard?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I apologize for that one.”

 

Desperate to regain control, the teacher did something Todd had never been fond of. He picked a student who was not part of the argument to chime in with their thoughts, usually resolving it at least temporarily so that he could get to his lesson plan. The reason Todd wasn’t a fan of this tactic was largely because he hated jumping into those kinds of arguments to begin with, which meant that he was often the victim of this particular choice. “Todd! I see you hunching down in the back, why don’t you stand up and offer your opinion on the significance of the past versus the last three years?”

 

Yep, there it went. He stood up and cleared his throat a bit, wishing with all of his soul that he didn’t have to do this. “I think… that splitting up the two is something we can’t do. The world has completely changed in the last few years, sure, but what about what brought us to that point? What led to the stories that we’re living now, and to the governments that still exist? It’s tied up too close together to pull apart.”

 

This did exactly nothing to stop the argument. Eighteen minutes later, class period ending, the professor just assigned them all the day’s lesson as a reading instead with an implied promise of mayhem if such a derailment happened again the following Tuesday. Todd hoped and prayed that he would no longer be in this class at all by then, but with no real way to know how the theoretical test-out process was going to work he couldn’t be certain. Thus, he’d actually have to do his homework. Just in case.

 

Blegh.

 

The sun was still shining brightly as the class exited the building. There was chatter among the students. Some about the argument in class. Some about the classes they were heading to. Absolutely none was about History class itself, or their homework. Todd found this simultaneously unsurprising and distressing, perhaps the only person there besides Corey the Raven who felt that way. Speaking of the Raven, though, Corey’s head suddenly snapped to face in the direction of the cafeteria.

 

Tiny noticed. “What’s going on?”

 

“There’s a commotion, right where the League event was yesterday. The Stars won’t talk to me clearly at noon, but it is very different from yesterday.” Corey shook his head slightly. “Couldn’t make out more than that, it’s too noisy and unclear.”

 

Todd only had to think for a split second. “Can you two take to the air to check it out? Ask Chester to tie us back into his telepathy thing if he can?”

 

Tiny unfurled his wings. “Can’t do the network thing, I’ll explain later, but we can certainly scout. Come on, Corey!” With a mighty flap and a leap, he was in the sky. Corey was right behind him. Todd didn’t have wings, but at least sped up a bit as he walked in that direction.

 

Whenever big crowds happen around here, it’s probably a good idea to know what’s going on. Too many things can go wrong.

 

Todd’s ears started picking up the crowd before the Gargoyle and the Raven swooped back in. Tiny spoke up almost before they landed. “Swing around to the right, it’s less crowded, but you have to see this!”

 

“Mind telling me what’s going on?”

 

“You wouldn’t believe me if I tried. Come on, follow me!” They took off at a jog this time, Todd struggling to follow.

 

“Considering some of the stuff I’ve seen in the last week, Tiny, that statement alone is hard to believe!” The advantage to jogging behind a Gargoyle, well past six feet in height and several hundred pounds of living stone, was that people tended to get out of the way of living cannonballs. Thus, the small and reedy Tidbit could make it to the front of the group with almost no impediment. Once there… Okay, Tiny wasn’t wrong.

 

The crowd was standing outside of a circle of slightly-raised terrain, clearly marking an area more than thirty feet across. Within it were two people, two who Todd knew painfully well. On one side of the arena, standing eight feet tall and made of ebon black muscle, vast wings slightly unfurled, was Bradley the Greater Demon. The one who’d promised absolute mayhem on Todd personally if he ever caught him again. Thankfully, the Demon’s attention was occupied by the other person present.

 

Standing across the circle, staring coolly back, was Lucas the Protogen. The metal plates of his chest and legs shone more brightly in the sun, the shaggy dark fur between them standing out more, his facial screen showing the same hostile focus as the previous night. Todd honestly found it a bit of a relief that it wasn’t focused on him, but rather at the huge demon before him. Neither was speaking, they were locked in what looked like a stare down fit to end civilizations.

 

Next to Todd were an odd couple of folks, though he figured that much was par for the course around here. One was a red-colored catgirl, black paws sprouting silver claws as she glowed with a faint power. It was obvious what she was doing, though how she ended up terraforming an arena was beyond him. Next to her was a Slime, of an unusual clear coloration, also looking ready to spring to action. They, at least, seemed to know more about what was going on than the others. “Hey, you two! Seen you around, sorry I don’t know your names, but what’s going on?”

 

The slime glanced over at him. “I’m Gooey, this is Hush. Those two got into some kind of argument and it’s looking to come to blows. We just kind of jumped in to make sure bystanders don’t get caught up… and I’m running the betting pool.”

 

That added up. “What odds can I get for calling that they end up going to blows, and that Lucas wins this fight and does not get hit cleanly by Bradley?”

 

“You sound confident, but I’ve seen the demon fight. Ten to one, easy.”

 

“I got three hundred in the bank right now after getting my books. All in.” Todd could feel the tension in the air growing. Something was about to happen.

 

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you. You’re on, now I need to pay attention in case one of these guys does something dumber than I think they will.” It was hard to tell where Gooey the Glass Slime was looking, but the bill on his school baseball cap went from pointing at Todd to pointing at the field. The arm extrusions he had out to form hands were glowing with an odd purple hue, less like they were emitting light and more like the light was trying to avoid them. He was holding a spell ready, though what it might be Todd had no idea.

 

There was sudden motion in the circle. Both combatants took up ready fighting stances, Lucas calling on the power of his saber blades. There was little excess motion, neither one taking their eyes off the other. Lucas was the first to speak, his staticky voice jarring. “Bradley. You know why I am here. You have cost our Order face, and this is becoming untenable regardless of your personal power.”

 

“Alright, you overblown toaster, first off you aren’t exactly one to talk. I heard about what you were doing last night. I’ve been with Alpha Omega more than a year. You’re new. Barely out of your Rush, and only got that far because someone’s doing you a favor.. I’m not gonna let someone like you push me around.”

 

“Whether you want to let me or not is immaterial. You will cease your conduct or face the consequences of your actions.” The sizzlingly bright white blades were no longer loosely held to the sides. Their points were now up, pointed directly towards the towering Demon.

 

“I just told you that you aren’t Deleon to be telling me what to do. Back off and get clear, and I won’t reduce you to scrap.”

 

“I will do no such thing.”

 

Todd was holding an odd mix of feelings. On the one hand, having those two destructive forces of nature pointed at each other was a relief. On the other, knowing that either of them could glance in his direction at any time was utterly terrifying. In a third direction? He knew that if this went down it was going to be one for the ages. No matter the potential danger he wouldn’t trade this seat for the world.

 

Bradley spat to the side, the grass sizzling and smoking slightly where it hit the ground. “Fine then. Let the Status favor the righteous.”

 

The chatter in the crowd dropped, instantly and significantly, as the Delvers among them recognized the phrase. Todd did, too, but only because of stories he’d read. Those who lived by what the Change gave them had no stronger oath, spoken at the beginning of a duel fought with the intent to mean something. Those fists would not be holding back, and as the fairly recent recipient of what that could mean Todd knew this one could end with much more than a black eye.

 

It was enough for him to regret making the bet.

 

Lucas barely nodded in response, but it was enough. Bradley dashed forward with a speed that belied his size, feet hammering the ground and wings flapping once to propel him forward. His enormous fist connected hard with Lucas’s raised and crossed blades, forcing the Protogen to flex his knees to absorb the shock but nothing else. As soon as the force withdrew, Lucas blurred into motion himself. Todd recognized this particular trick as the Protogen appeared behind the Demon to strike at his head. Unlike Todd’s friends, Bradley had the speed and experience to turn and block the return attack. The backhand the demon leveled at his assailant struck nothing as Lucas sprung backwards. “Bradley, you are strong, but not nearly enough for this. Cease, both this fight and the grudges you carry.”

 

“Or else what?” Bradley’s face indicated he was not remotely considering it.

 

“Or else the next strikes will not be in nonlethal mode. My sabers will have edges in our next exchange.” Lucas’s face showed the exact same display as before, but his body language had changed. There was no extra motion. No semblance of humanity. He did not waver, nor visibly breathe, nor stretch. There was only absolutely deadly intent.

 

Wait, he was HOLDING BACK last night? What even is he?

 

Bradley grinned. “You’re still lost. Fighting me ain’t gonna get you anything. It won’t stop me, and it won’t get you any closer to aping a soul.”

 

Lucas’s eye markings narrowed in rage, the first real emotion that Todd could recall ever seeing on his face, and the metal man launched himself at the eight foot ebon demon once more. It was obvious that he was not going to try anything fancy. Murder was in his digital heart, and his magnesium-white blades were aimed directly at the heart of his foe. He sped at the very edge of Todd’s ability to even perceive. Almost nobody alive would have the ability to even twitch to the side before the attack struck home.

 

Almost.

 

With a blinding flash, the two were not alone. Standing between them was the half-white, half-black nine-foot form of Michael Deleon, their mighty Order Leader. His black side was to Lucas, the tips of the two shining white weapons touching but not piercing his forearm. From Lucas’s stance, that had nothing at all to do with the attack being aborted and everything to do with it being simply unable to penetrate the Nephilim’s skin. His white side was to Bradley, the palm of the alabaster hand against the void-black skin of the Greater Demon’s chest. From Bradley’s stance, he had been charging forward but had no more ability to harm the Nephilim than Lucas.

 

“Enough.”

 

It was a statement of fact. Not a shout or interjection. The single word was delivered with power, such that all present knew that the event was absolutely over. With another flash, the three were gone, only the raised ring of terrain and crowd of onlookers remained to mark where they had been fighting seconds before. For a handful of heartbeats, there was shocked silence in the crowd.

 

And then, chaos.

 

Everyone knew what they saw. Nobody knew what it meant. Two of the most dangerous individuals within fifty miles just had it out, got interrupted by someone even MORE capable, dropped a lot of news, and vanished. Todd really wished Jem was there to do her detection trick, he had some suspicions but could not prove any of them. He had to settle for the obvious. “Heck of a fight, huh.”

 

Gooey the Glass Slime nodded, the glow fading from his hands. “No kidding. Really thought only one of those two were going to get to walk away for a minute, there. Guess nobody got hurt, that works.”

 

Tiny’s rumbling voice came from behind them. “So you could say that it came to blows, but Lucas didn’t take a direct hit, right?”

 

“Uh, yeah, I guess you could say… oh.” The Slime looked at Todd. “That kinda means you called it, huh? Cash or Coinage?”

 

Todd thought for a moment, glad that Tiny remembered they had a bet. “Coinage. I’ve got just about everything I need that cash can buy around here.”

 

“Cool. I’ll get that to you in the next couple of days. If you ever swing by the Theta Delta dorms, feel free to say hi. Hush, you good on the Geomancy?”

 

The red catgirl’s glow stopped as well, sweat starting to stand out on her forehead. “You know it! Might not have been if that guy hadn’t shown up, big dude hits really hard, but practice makes perfect and the ground here listens better than sand or stone back home. Or asphalt, that stuff’s just rude. Need me to run down a few people? I’m faster and some of the people who just lost are walking off.”

 

Gooey gave an affirmative, and she sprang off. “I’d ask what you’re up to next, but that’s probably lunch. See you around!”

 

He definitely was not wrong about lunch, though. It was a hair early to be getting in line, but that only meant that the crowd wasn’t going to storm the place like the Bastille. It would give him a chance to think for a bit. The doors opened, he slipped inside, and once he got a sandwich on a tray and the tray on a table, he pulled out his notebook and got writing.

 

What I saw just now is fascinating, but it won’t follow the assignment. Writing down thoughts about it is important but secondary, my memory won’t fade. Todd took a bite, chewing slowly as he thought. Need to look at the data I have about my Class and Abilities. I already know my mana recovery curve is off by a bit. Odd, it was on target for a while, but then as soon as I started casting Investiture at max I was off. I can fit four casts in there if I’m disciplined, not three.

 

He leaned back, grabbing some chips. “Disciplined. Yeah, okay, that’s probably not happening for long unless I really need to keep it up. Best keep my estimate at three. May kind of had a point about that.”

 

“About what?”

 

Todd startled hard, which combined with the fact that he was leaning backwards to lead to him overbalancing and falling to the floor with a clatter. Thankfully there weren’t too many people around to see. Other than Jem, as it turned out. “Uh, hi. I was just thinking out loud.”

 

The unbelievably sneaky seven foot tall woman took the seat opposite Todd at the table as he righted himself and his chair. Thankfully, his sandwich had been sitting on the tray, so the only casualties were a couple of chips and his pride. “I heard you thinking out loud, but are you talking about before or after you tried out impromptu experiments with gravity?”

 

“Before. My deadline is ticking for Professor Otterly, and he isn’t going to accept random ideas.”

 

“And your topic is, what, your Class?” Jem’s own tray had a large bowl from the salad bar as its center, which she began to dig into.

 

“Yeah. I have to figure out something about it and support it with data. Thing is, there’s just so much data flying around that I can’t figure out a common thread.”

 

Jem took a long drink of what looked like tea. “Alright, Tidbit, time for some advice.”

 

“Does it come with a reduction in you using that nickname?”

 

“Not when you earned it like this.” She set down her glass and looked him straight in the eye. “It looks like chaos because it is. Life is chaos, and you’re just writing it all down. Great for a journal, not for an assignment.”

 

“I kind of have to write a lot down, Jem. I could miss something critical if I don’t.”

 

“If you write it all down, you’re just making a bigger haystack to lose your needle in. You don’t cast auguries and truthfindings, or you’d know. Heck, ask Corey, he’ll tell you, too.”

 

His sandwich and chips were done. His soda was getting dangerously low for this conversation. “So, what, I need to stop gathering data and focus on finding the thread in what I have?”

 

“Way to miss the point entirely. I’m telling you that you need to gather SPECIFIC information. Pick a direction and start walking it, see if you get something, and be willing to leave it be if it isn’t good.”

 

Something about the tilt of her hat told Todd she wasn’t talking ONLY about data. Time to add a page for cryptic statements said by friends. “And I guess, with the rest of what I’ve been writing down, I just, what, grab what I think is relevant to what I’m actively gathering?”

 

“Knew you had it in you.” Her smirk was both encouraging and irritating at the same time.

 

That is when Todd decided to go for the kill, himself. “Enough about my morning. I didn’t see either of you at the event just now. How did your investigation go with Martin?”

 

Her smirk soured instantly. Jem knew immediately what he had just done, but neither could she do anything about it while playing fair. “Really wish he’d have told me that the party was over at Theta Delta’s place before we got there. It would have made things way less awkward.”

 

“Aren’t they the ones who deal with identity and instinct? Just met a couple of their members, they’re cool.”

 

“They also deal with form a lot, and I wouldn’t be so quick to trust them. Look, someone there was trying to get people drunk, and Martin got caught in it. He instincted himself balls deep into a Kitsune before the night was halfway through.”

 

“So he’s innocent?”

 

“Absolutely not. He did what his girlfriend says he did, whether his inhibitions were lowered or not. He remembers the night clearly enough, so it’s not like he got blackout drunk.”

 

Todd thought for a bit. Then he thought some more. It was for reasons like this that he’d long since sworn off ever partaking. “Alright, guess it’s back to the start. Everything is riding on how Megan reacts to the full story.”

 

“It always was anyway.” She stabbed her salad rather vehemently with her fork. “I can’t pass judgment on this, I was not wronged. All I could do was try to figure out what happened and if he was sincere about wanting to repent.”

 

“Alright. At least we’ve done what we can for what he asked. Next question, then, where are Ghata and Song? I thought they’d be here by now.” Todd looked at his watch. While they weren’t desperately late, the clock was definitely ticking before he’d have to leave for Literature class. The one they were supposed to be in with him.

 

“Tidbit. Do I have to explain everything to you?”

 

“Are you going to tell me they’re walking up behind me?”

 

“No, better. Check your phone.” Her smirk. It was back.

 

Todd pulled out his phone and looked down. Two notifications, both texts from Song. “Running a bit late, TD was weird.” And “look behind you.”

 

He did so, only to find his face buried in the bronzed bosom of a certain Greater Succubus. May leaned in and whispered in Todd’s ear, “just trust me on this one and relax, she needs this.” Todd went from limp to painfully hard in seconds, then felt a hand on his zipper. “Don’t worry, I called in a favor from an illusionist. Nobody can see what’s under the table right now, as long as you don’t move. Poor Song, she’s absolutely soaked and desperate, on the edge of control, so she did some odd shapeshifting to make this one work. Don’t look under there, just relax and feel it…”

 

And feel it he did. The fox’s pussy sank onto his achingly hard member and began pumping up and down, seeming to defy space constraints from the table itself. Despite the oddity of the situation, nobody seemed to notice anything unusual. May burying someone in her double-handful of cleavage was not exactly rare, after all, and if what she’d said was right then whatever Song was doing underneath there wasn’t visible.

 

He was up and feeling her close to the edge when he heard May whisper once again. “Good, you’re both right there. All it will take is a little… nudge…”

 

The form of this nudge didn’t take much time to figure out as May activated her Feeding, drawing Hunger from both Todd and Song. For Todd’s part, his first warning was the feel of Song’s body clenching down on him with intensity, followed by his own orgasm beginning out of nowhere. As it built in intensity, he could tell it was going to be a huge one. The kind that people would fight for and covet. The pulses seemed to engulf his entire body as he shot rope after rope of cum up into Song, feeling his power activate and flow out into her.

 

Then something unusual happened. More so that the stealthy public sex from a fox spirit facilitated by a Greater Succubus. May’s face was satisfied as she Fed upon the two of them, topping herself off on the delicious feast before her, but then he saw her wobble, her face changing briefly as she lost control of it for the barest second. He knew it instantly, and would have without his instincts. She had just cum right with them, and that wasn’t something that should have happened.

 

The sensations subsided, and he felt his pants get zipped back up after a rough tongue licked him clean. Breathing hard, he looked at his watch. “May, you have a lot of questions to answer later. So does Song. Time is up, though. That was fun. Unique. Unfortunately, we have class in twelve minutes, so we need to run.”

6