Chapter 121
1.8k 24 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The examiner from the C-Class exams is right in front of me…

The slim black-bearded man is sitting on a small couch striking a business deal with Bri.

My face goes pale and droplets of sweat start to form on my forehead as my eyes scan the room. I swallow hard as the tension only gets worse.

Rodrigo stares at me, not moving a muscle. He seems to be on guard as well, this isn’t exactly the reaction I expected.

Bri slowly walks in between the two of us smiling and waving her hips back and forth as she struts forward. She looks me in the eyes and speaks in a soft yet powerful tone.

“Jay… It’s a pleasure to see you again so soon.”

She glances over at Rodrigo.

“It seems the two of you already know each other, how interesting.”

Bri chuckles as Rodrigo finally speaks.

“Jay…. What are you doing here, and how exactly do you know my sister?”

I grin. This confirms what I heard earlier was true. They are siblings.

“Well, I came here to get some loot checked out and have a weapon crafted. She’s the best in town, wouldn’t you agree?”

He stares at me with a cold look in his eyes, answering through a clenched jaw.

“She… is..”

My smirk grows as I start to feel a bit more relaxed. Sure, an A-Class from the Association that’s actively trying to recruit me as a test subject is standing right in front of me, but there are some pros to this situation too.

“Does the Association know about your illegal item smuggling? Or the fact that you’re siblings with a Black Market loot dealer?”

Rodrigo looks over to Bri, then back to me.

“No, no they do not.”

He begins glowing white while standing up slowly, the look on his face turns from mildly irritated to infuriated rather quickly. I grit my teeth and start glowing gold and red while reaching for my sword.

“Stop. Stop! You two….”

Bri steps between both of us lifting her hands in the air, glowing the same white color as Rodrigo. Out of curiosity, while powering down my skills, I use inspect and Appraisal on both of them.

I audibly gulp when I see the results.

____________________

[Lv. 488]

Active Items:

[Ring of Eternal Protection] +150% Defense

[Amulet of The Queen] +130% Mental Strength

[Greater Demon’s Core] +50% All Stats

Active Skills:

Crafting [Legendary Grade]

Combat Magic [Advanced Light Summoning]

____________________

[Lv. 1391]

Active items:

[Ring of Eternal Protection] +150% Defense 

[Ring of The Dragon King] +210% Mental Strength

[Amulet of The King] +140% Mental Strength

[Ring of Divine Speed] +110% Speed +110% Agility

[Arch Demon’s Core] +150% All Stats

[Greater Demon’s Core] +50% All Stats

[Greater Demon’s Core] +50% All Stats

[Greater Demon’s Core] +50% All Stats

Active Skills:

Respawn [Advanced Rebirth]

Combat Magic [Advanced Light Summoning]

____________________

My eyes open wide as I take in all the numbers in front of me. Bri stares at Rodrigo as he powers down his skill and the three of us stand in silence for a moment.

Briana finally speaks up.

“Brother. This is one of my new favorite clients, please don’t hurt him if you can restrain yourself. Jay, the same goes for you, lay a finger on my family and you’re dead.”

She smiles as these harsh words delicately flow from her mouth. Rodrigo and I lock eyes for a moment, then turn back to the powerful woman towering over us and nod. I let out a sigh while Bri’s brother slouches back onto the couch letting out a few muffled words.

“So now what?”

I reply.

“Well, first of all… What was all that earlier about me being a lab rat for the Association? I think it’s time we re-negotiate the terms of this mandatory contract.”

He exhales from his nose.

“Nope. You’re screwed, kid. They asked me to pick out any unusual hunters, and I’ve already submitted your name at the top slot. They won’t take no for an answer. Trust me, I’ve been working with them for almost a decade now.”

I gulp.

“What do you mean they won’t take no for an answer? What’d you tell them?”

He sighs.

“Not too much. Just that you’re a multi-skill user that specializes in close-range fire magic combat. They’ll do an extensive test during our meeting, so they’ll pick out all your fine details with a full appraisal soon enough.”

I turn to Bri, then to Rodrigo, then back to Bri.

“So, I can just go rogue right? Like you? Live off the grid? I’d rather have my freedom on the run, than be locked into a slave contract with the Association…”

Rodrigo looks at me with an annoyed glare, I reply in a soft tone.

“No offense…”

Bri chimes in.

“If they know your name and have your ID, they’ll find you eventually, trust me, we tried everything.”

She looks at Rodrigo for an uncomfortably long time with a sad look in her eyes.

I grit my teeth and look at the red-suited man before me.

“This is your fault to begin with! What if I just tell them everything?! Huh? Stealing labyrinth resources to sell on the black market? If I’m going down, I’ll just bring you with me! I-“

Bri cuts me off.

“None of that, none of that… Although I like you Jay, If you endanger my family or my business I will make sure you disappear.”

I swallow hard, thinking of all the possible ways the last 3 days of my life could have gone so much differently....

The two of them could kill me in an instant, their stats and gear are off the charts…. I definitely crossed the line with that last statement, it’s time to cool things down a bit.

“W-What if you just tell them it was a mistake? Say, I’m not as valuable as you first thought.”

He shakes his head.

“The meeting is already scheduled, you’re going to get tested no matter what. The only thing that could push that meeting off would be your death, and considering the way you’re talking right now, I don’t think it’d be such a bad idea to get rid of you right here and now.”

My eyes open wide as he begins to glow with a white light. Bri sighs, showing a “Sorry kid, I tried but you ran your mouth” look on her face.

The A-Class charges up his attack while my brain rapidly searches for a way out of this mess.

“WAIT, WAIT! You need a Firestone right? Right? You need a Firestone, I have one!”

Bri’s eyes perk up and she darts in between Rodrigo and me once again. The white light emanating from his body dies down and the room falls awkwardly silent. Bri nods to me.

“Continue…”

“I- Well- That’s why I came up here. I wanted to have you craft another weapon for me, but it seems like you have another important client that may need it more right now.”

Briana grins.

“This is why I like you, Jay. Always full of surprises.”

I smile weakly but don’t reply. She continues.

“Let’s all talk about this more formally. It’s time to strike a deal, don’t you think?”

Rodrigo rolls his eyes as I reply.

“I- I think that’s a good idea. First things first, If we can make a trade for this stone, you won’t just kill me afterward right…?”

Bri frowns and turns to her brother.

“You have my word, hear that? Today he is my client, you may not kill him.”

With arms crossed, the A-Class mumbles back.

“Fine. One more word about snitching and he’s toast, I’m not letting that slide again.”

He gets to his feet and starts walking to the door.

“My day just keeps getting worse! I’m going for some fresh air, see you later Big Sis, and… Jay I guess I’ll see you again soon too… Ugh, I can’t be asked to stay here any longer.”

With loud annoyed footsteps, Rodrigo disappears down the spiral staircase moments later.

Bri lets out a chuckle.

“I haven’t seen him this riled up in a while. Please don’t mind him too much, Roddy is a good guy. He’s just a bit stressed out from the exams. The Association promised him the labyrinth’s loot in exchange for collapsing it, but it seems like someone got to it first.”

She eyes my left arm, then looks me in the eyes. Bri takes a small clear tray out from under her desk and places it on a coffee table near the couch.

“Show me what you’ve got.”

I nod and reach into my item storage without another word. I carefully pull out the flickering Firestone and place it in the containment tray.

Next, the meter-long demon’s horn hits the small wooden table with a thud. Bri grins ear to ear.

“Now look at this. You definitely were the one who ruined my brother’s weekend weren’t you?”

I gulp, waiting for her to continue as she feels the surface of the smooth horn with both hands.

“What are you trying to have made here? It’s a bit short for a long sword, but fairly long for a dagger. Maybe I could make a set out of it, but-“

“A set, that would be perfect. A set of daggers.”

“You’re a dagger user all of a sudden?”

I nod, thinking about her earlier conversations with Rodrigo as I climbed the stairs.

“You have two Windstones right? Make me a dagger set with this horn and those two stones. In exchange, the Firestone is all yours.”

She grins while going through a few drawers in her desk to pull out a containment tray and an empty glass bottle. My eyes open wide as I realize what’s coming next…

“Give me your wrist. I need 16oz of blood in total to bond the stones to both knives.”

I flinch and look away as I reach out my left arm.

Without hesitation, she rips into an artery and blood gushes out into the large glass bottle in her hand. I clench my jaw and whisper under my breath.

“There has to be an easier way to do this….”

She smiles as the glass fills to the brim. I pull my arm away and use self-regeneration on my wound mumbling to myself. Bri flashes me the containment case. Inside, there are two palm-sized stones that look as clear as quartz. They both have small white streaks in them and let out a low hum.

“You know, even with a blood bond, these Windstones may be difficult to control without a wind-summoning skill. I’m sure you’ll figure out how to use them eventually, it just may take some time.”

“Yes… I’ll manage.”

Bri takes all of the items on the wooden table and brings them over to her desk. She places the Firestone in a bottom drawer and opens the Windstone’s containment case while continuing to examine the large horn.

“You can stay and watch if you’d like, this may take a while.”

I nod, then make my way over to the couch. Bri’s hands start to glow light yellow while she carefully picks up one of the Windstones.

She smirks and looks at me.

“While I'm at it, perhaps I should share a few details about that new Demon's Core you're nonchalantly showing off. It might be a good idea to conceal it. I can see you’ve changed a lot Jay, but you still have a lot to learn…”

73