Chapter 11- First Day
48 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Professor Longbottom was a cheery man, the Head of Gryffindor and seemingly well liked by students he cut an odd figure. He was tall and well built, and covered in scars. One would think he would be intimidating, but with his perpetual smile and good nature he came off quite well to the students.

Eudora's first class was almost boring, with the professor taking them here and there through the greenhouse, and letting them see some of the plants they'd be interacting with over the year. Honestly there was nothing much of interest here, some magical plants, even some that were very useful, but nothing at all dangerous, at least that was until they got to the very end of the tour.

“Now everyone gather round. Over the summer we found we had an infestation of Devil's Snare, some managing to make it's way out of the greenhouses and into a few parts of the shore near the black lake. It's a nasty bit of business if you don't know what you're doing so we'll be going over it today.” As he spoke he led the class out of the greenhouse full of honking daffodils and dittany and into a much darker, damper one.

“Is this dangerous?” a Hufflepuff asked from nearby.

“Not at all students. I'll be right here as we learn so I can help you with this little project. Should you find any Devil's Snare while you're out on the grounds let me know, don't mess with it, but heaven forbid you do get grabbed it's best you know what to do.” He stopped and looked back at them as he came up to a pot full of wriggling vines. “Now, do we have a volunteer?”

All the Hufflepuffs in the class took a big step back, but to a certain Slytherin this was a chance, a chance to get in good with the professor and hopefully make getting what she wanted easier.

“I will sir,” Eudora said, moving just a step forwards. She'd dealt with a few plants before, so this should be no problem.

“Wonderful! Come here dear, what was you name?”

“Eudora sir.”

“Right, so there's two things that are most important with this plant. First is that it doesn't like light, so fire, sunlight, lamps, even a simple wand-lighting charm are enough to drive it back. Professors Nathri and Williamson will be covering that in their classes as well these first couple of days. Also, you don't want to struggle, it'll just make the plant grab you harder,” he explained as he motioned for her to reach towards the plant. “And remember that you're perfectly safe, I'm right here.”

“What do you mean grab me harder?” Eudora said, confused until her finger to touched the vine.

Professor Longbottom had his wand in hand, waiting as the vine surged forward and over Eudora's arm, wrapping tightly and pulling her into it. Not fully understanding what was going on she of course panicked, which didn't help the situation at all.

Before things could escalate professor's wand blazed, sending a wave of light that drove the grasping tendrils away. He even had a hand in place to catch her when she stumbled back.

“While it's safe here and now, since I'm here to push it away it won't be so should you find it out in the wild. Have ten points for Slytherin for volunteering.” He gave Eudora a pat on the back and looked at her carefully watching for continued fear, but seemed to find only the sensible wariness he wanted there.

“That looked horrible,” Julia said, not looking nearly as bothered as she should.

“Oh it is, you're Miss Skeeter right? Why don't you come forward next...”

One by one each student was taken up to the angry plant wrapped up and either released when they managed to go limp or when the professor chased it back. There were a lot of complaints, a few students who ardently tried to refuse, and even more when at the end of the period they were all given an essay on Devil's Snare.

As the period ended Eudora stayed behind, joined by her... friend? Well at least they shared a dorm. While waiting she pretended to dwaddle, slowly moving books around.

“Something you two need?” the professor said without even looking up from the small cupboard he was arranging things in.

“Actually professor, we're missing a few potion ingredients, nothing rare or anything, and one of the older girls said we might be able to get some from one of the greenhouses?” she asked.

He gave them a long hard look, and Eudora could see the gears ticking behind his eyes. Did he know what they were up to, was it even a potion or did some of the older girls just like extra ginger in their food and decorations? Fairies really could be used just to make things look nicer, and the flowers would do much the same, she didn't know. After a time though he nodded.

“So long as it's growing in greenhouse one that's fine. Don't take too much though, other students often forget some of their potion ingredients too.”

The pair quickly gathered what they needed and Eudora began to suspect why the teacher hadn't cared, greenhouse one only had boring things in it. Most of these were the odds and ends that a lot of potions ended up with but might also be found in muggle gardens. Small ferns and flowers of all types, and a number of different herbs grew here. There was even a very real possibility that some of this ended up in their food.

While Eudora was digging she spotted the other girl going around, looking very confused.

“What's wrong?” she asked, seeing that Julia hadn't so much as snipped a sprig yet.

“Er... which of these is Lady's Mantle?”

“Do you not keep a garden?” she asked incredulously.

“Well no, if my parents need potion ingredients they just go to the store. Honestly though neither of them do much brewing,” Julia clarified.

“That's sad, every witch worth her weight should know her flowers and roots.” Eudora wasn't an expert, but she liked to think she at least knew the basics.

“Oh come on, that's what we're here to learn,” the other girl complained.

“Fan-like leaves and tiny yellowish-greenish flowers over there,” Eudora pointed in the general direction, if Julia couldn't manage with that she'd be out of luck.

Their next class was potions, and though it was in the dungeon the class was bright and cheery, along with Professor Ovis, another young teacher, but bubbly and bright. She spent most of the period going over the very, very basics, cauldron maintenance, flame control, and the most common dangers that everyone needed to look out for. Though for a miracle she didn't provide any homework.

At our first sizable break Julia and Eudora met back up with Nicola finding her sitting amongst the other Slytherin students in the Great Hall, enjoying a light meal. Both of us slipped her the ingredients and received a smile in return.

“No trouble then?” she asked.

“No, Professor Longbottom didn't mind,” Eudora answered.

“I told you he wouldn't. Perhaps I'm not the nicest girl in the school but I'm not going to trick you like that, if I did you'd never do anything for me again.” She smiled at them over her drink.

Eudora rather liked that, she wasn't trying to build a relationship on good feelings and hope, but rather a practical base. She could do things for the first years, they could do things for her, but either betraying the other for petty reasons would harm both parties. It also meant there was no reason for either to trust her beyond what was needed, for she certainly wouldn't trust them with such.

“So we're good then?” Eudora asked.

“Of course, but don't you want to know what I had you get these for?” There was a sparkle in her eyes. “Nothing too bad I promise. If that boy succeeds why don't you join us and we'll show you after curfew?”

“And if he fails?” Julia asked.

“Then you can join us for a lesson in punishing those who slight you, if you want.” Nicola had a nasty smile as she spoke, and there was no doubt that they'd be getting their pound of flesh should Acanthus fail.

The two first years sort of looked at one another and shrugged. It was doubtful anyone would blame them should something go wrong, after all they weren't supposed to be able to do much. The older girls were also clearly trying to draw them in, social connections that could prove useful.

“I'm fine with it either way. I've got a study session with one of the Ravenclaws after dinner, but if you're wanting to start around curfew I've got nothing better to do,” Eudora answered.

“Studying already? My, my, getting a quick start. What do you have next anyway?” Nicola inquired.

“Double History of Magic,” Julia answered with a quick look at her schedule.

“Enjoy your nap,” the older girl said, refusing to answer what exactly she meant.

History of Magic sounded interesting, and the fact that it was taught by a ghost was even more novel. However by the first fifteen minutes the novelty had died and everyone was teetering on the edge of consciousness. Professor Binns may have taken to teaching, but had he wished he could probably make a lot more money curing insomnia. At the end of the session Eudora reflected that while she did enjoy her nap having to teach herself the material was going to be tiresome in the extreme.

1