Chapter 3
15 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The druid commune of Shallow Brook was, for most of the party, exactly as they’d expected. While Leonov and Taiki couldn’t claim to have any experience with them, they’d heard of general impressions from those who had ventured through or past. It matched what they’d been told. Druids were of a particular creed, and even to the public eye, they rarely varied from their known practices.

Shallow Brook was more of a city than a small village in size. They guessed that somewhere between two and three hundred people lived in the immediate area. Instead of walls for protection, the settlement was shrouded from casual sight by an abnormally thick line of trees. They grew tall, protecting the commune, and shrubs of roses grew in the gaps, giving plenty of slow, thorn-filled progress to anyone who would attempt to enter uninvited.

Thankfully, they were invited and expected. Two burly druid men stood at the entrance and, after they spotted Falynn leading her summoned beast, hurriedly stepped to the side and commanded the shrubbery to spread apart, giving them easier access. Falynn didn’t acknowledge them directly, not even a single nod. It was as if they existed only to open the door. If they were offended by her lack of greeting, no sign of it showed on their faces.

“Is there a specific way we should act while we’re here?” Leonov asked. “I’ve heard that we’re not allowed to eat meat while inside a commune.”

Falynn snorted. “Where did you hear that?”

“Well, aren’t all druids vegetarians?”

She found that an extremely odd question, especially since he’d eaten with her along two rest stops now, and she’d eaten the dried jerky, same as him. Outsiders were so strange with their superstitions, she thought. Though, to be fair, many of the druids with little experience of the outside had similar ways of viewing those that lived in cities. They thought crime ran rampant and that they were all godless heathens. Falynn had known better, thanks to her parents, but she couldn’t dismiss that kind of thought out of hand.

“There’s no rule like that,” she said, letting out a quiet tinkling laugh. “You can eat meat all you want. There are only two rules here. Don’t disrespect nature, and don’t bring in corruption. I know you’re free of corruption, so as long as you respect rule number one, you won’t get thrown out.”

Leonov shrugged, accepting the information without complaint. He might be from Attos, where Grimr had little influence, but he wasn’t stupid. He knew to respect the domain of a god. And Grimr’s presence could be clearly felt in this area, almost as if the god was lurking there, just out of sight behind one of the bushes. It was a new experience, but not an unpleasant one.

“It’s so clean here,” Taiki commented. She was obviously thinking along similar lines. Leonov nodded in agreement. But before they could discuss the discovery further, a voice called out to the group, snagging their attention.

“Welcome to Shallow Brook, travelers.”

The speaker was a tall and thin woman wearing an elaborate white gown. She looked as if she’d been caught in the middle of her own wedding, Leonov thought. Apart from a laurel of wildflowers that looped her neck and around her bodice, there was nothing to indicate that she was in charge. Well, nothing save for the way she spoke.

“Good day, Mother,” Falynn said. There was a stiff set to her shoulders, and she spoke in clipped tones as if she wasn’t pleased to see the woman.

The woman’s face split into a warm smile as she recognized her daughter. She extended her arms to the side in a welcoming gesture. “Falynn! I’m pleased to see you again so soon! I hope your day away from the commune was enjoyable?”

The way she phrased it, it seemed as though she expected Falynn to return at the end of the day. But that didn’t match at all with what Falynn had shared with them, they thought. The girl cleared up their doubt quickly. “I am not returning, Mother. My adventure has only just begun. I’m not here as your daughter but as a member of the Adventurer’s Guild.”

“Ah, yes,” Elder Shaso said, looking a tad disappointed. “You bring Lady Breeden, I presume?”

Falynn made a curt gesture, and the horse she’d made out of her staff started to shrink at once. By the time she’d dismounted from the cart, the horse had gone, and she picked her walking stick up with a slight sigh. “Always so exhausting maintaining that spell. Yes, we’ve brought Lady Breeden and her daughter. Are we to hand her off to you directly, or do we bring her to the healers?”

“To the healers, I think,” Her mother said. “But she can walk the distance. She will be protected here, and spending more time among Lord Longfang’s presence could help.”

Falynn nodded, knowing the truth of the statement. She made her way to the back of the wagon and spoke softly. “We’ve arrived, Lady Breeden. Leonov will help you down, and you’ll be taken to the healers.”

Emma Breeden appeared at the entrance to the small covered area and peered around. She wore a light cloth wrapped around her head and face, leaving only her eyes and a trace of her golden hair visible. Must be some precaution against her sickness, Falynn assumed. The small girl was clutched in one arm, and she offered the other to Leonov as he stepped forward and accepted the assistance in stepping down. “Thank you very much.”

“Be welcome to our camp, Lady Breeden,” Falynn’s mother said, bowing her head slightly. “We are eager to help a friend of Lord Bragg at any time.”

Taiki perked up at the mention of the mysterious Lord Bragg, her eyes alight with interest. “You know Lord Bragg?”

“Quite well,” Emma Breeden said. “He is a close friend of my husband.”

Taiki bit their lip in deep thought, apparently tempted to ask more. It was clear that they had a whole barrage of questions to ask, in fact. But, seeing how weakened she was compared to the start of her trip, they decided against it. The woman had enough to deal with for the time being. So instead, they offered her arm in support.

“Allow me to help you,” they offered.

The offer was accepted with a quiet word of thanks, and Taiki led the woman across the open space. At Falynn’s direction, they made a slight right turn, headed toward a large water pool with several small buildings along its edge. As they drew closer, the smell of herbs became almost overpowering. Emma sniffed the air carefully, and her mouth twisted in a thoughtful frown.

“Why do I only smell cooking herbs?” She asked. “I smell fennel and oregano. But no medicinal herbs.”

“That will be because your healing will not be herbal,” a druid woman said, hurrying over. “Welcome, Lady Breeden. My name is Veronica, and I will be starting you off today.”

She stared pointedly at Taiki. “I’ve got her from here, sir. It would be unwise for any but the lady and her healers to approach the site just now.”

Taiki nodded and relinquished her supporting grip. The druid woman led Emma away, and several others flocked closer, fussing over the woman and her daughter. Now that their job was complete, the party was left feeling… incomplete. They didn’t quite know what to do with themselves now.

“We are very grateful for your help in transporting the lady here,” yet another unknown druid said, approaching. This man had the look of a wild hermit who’d allowed his clothes to become disheveled. There were even a few twigs in his hair, but his eyes had an intelligent gleam to them, and the smile surrounded by his gray facial hair was a friendly one. “Please accept this as a reward for your services.”

He pressed three gold coins into Taiki’s hand, then made a strange gesture through the air between them. Taiki looked back at Falynn for an explanation, and the druid girl obliged. “It is the Mother’s Blessing, at least our version of it. He is wishing us safe travels and friendship.”

“Ah,” Taiki said. They looked a little awkward at the sincerity. “Well, glad we could help.”

The druid man bowed deeply, then turned away. Now Falynn’s mother was approaching again. “Please, be welcome to our home for the night. Rest, enjoy some fresh food and drink, and rest away your exhaustion.”

That was a welcome offer, judging by the reactions of the others. Falynn merely shrugged. “I’ll stay with you all, not in our home.” 

“If that is what you wish,” her mother said. She included the others in her smile now. “But as I said, be welcome. Forgive me, but there is other business that requires my attention just now.”

And without another word, she turned on her heel and strode away. Well, more like a floating sort of glide than a stride. Every one of her movements was very graceful. Though they didn’t mean to, the others were drawing an unconscious comparison between this woman and her daughter, who they’d witnessed tripping over nearly everything during the day.

“Oh, shut up,” Falynn said, noticing their stares. Roni let out a snort of laughter. “Let’s just get some food.”

 

-

 

Leonov had experienced a great deal of peace over the last year since he’d stopped actively fighting. His days weren’t filled with rigorous training anymore, and he enjoyed it. But, sitting beneath the branches of the trees in Dagorra Forest, he realized that he’d had no idea what true peace meant. The very air around them was warm and gentle and carried the sweet scent of berries. He heaved a deep sigh as he sat against a tree, holding his plate of food, and looked around in great contentment.

“This is a very lovely place,” he commented to the others. “I could imagine it is very nice to live here.”

“For some,” Falynn said. She glanced at Roni as she said it. “Some prefer to live outside the communes, to be surrounded by true nature at all times.”

The elven archer nodded her agreement with the comment. “Other people are annoying.”

“So what made you join the Adventurer’s Guild, then?” Falynn asked her. “I know I asked before, but you haven’t told me.”

Taiki and Leonov looked forward, interested. The former Attosian was the first to speak. “You aren’t sisters?”

Roni looked offended at the question. Falynn didn’t seem to care. “No. We’ve only known each other for a few days. She was paid by my mother to escort me to Milagre, but in reality, that was just the condition of my leaving. Roni got a few coins, and I could get out.”

“So, why did you join?” Leonov echoed the question, looking curiously at the ranger. “If you don’t like other people-”

“It is in service to my deity,” Roni said. She fished in the collar of her tunic and retrieved a small wooden amulet. It was painted silver, with a blood-red stripe running down the center, thick at the top and paper-thin at the bottom. They all recognized it at once as the mark of Minerva, the first deity. “It’s my job to wander now, to help any maidens I might find.”

“Oh, I’m serving my deity too!” Falynn said. “The stronger I become, the more I can help Lord Longfang.”

“Grimr?” Leonov asked.

“We call him by his original name,” Falynn said firmly. “It is our way of honoring him.”

“Oh,” the old soldier said. “I just assumed that was his last name.”

“What about the rest of you?” Roni asked. She was keen to get answers now that she’d been asked to share. “What drew you to the guild?”

“I’m just looking for fame and money,” Leonov said, grinning broadly. “I’m really only good at fighting and doing guard duties. So now that I’m a free man, I’ll use those to amass a fortune and retire with a nice home somewhere far from war.”

They all nodded, suitably impressed. In spite of the shallow nature of the statement, there was something wholesome about it. They looked to Taiki next, who shifted uncomfortably. They didn’t seem too keen to reveal anything about themselves. But, after a moment or two, they finally said, “My master suggested that I learn as much as I can. One of my teachers at Issho-Ni suggested it. He thinks it will be a good opportunity.”

“So you’re a follower of Shigeru,” Leonov said. “That’s admirable.”

Taiki didn’t confirm the statement. They kept her eyes resolutely focused on her food. The others did as well, not wanting to push their new compatriot further than they were comfortable with. As they focused on eating, the meal passed quickly, and the day's exhaustion seemed to set in for them. So they returned their empty plates and were led to a section of flat, soft ground off to the side of the commune, where four small tents had literally grown out of the ground. Light wood and leaves provided shelter and privacy. They bade their goodnights and crawled in, almost falling asleep on the soft bedding as soon as their head touched down.

 

3