Chapter 28
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days of training. It was hard for the party, even the experienced Leonov, to think of the hellish experience as only two days. Kanora worked them nonstop, making them refine every bit of their techniques they could, and teaching them how to incorporate it all into one cohesive battle strategy that they could use at will. Day and night, with only short hour-long rest periods that seemed to pass in a blink, and they were left weak and exhausted. It was all they could do to create a small campfire by which to sleep on the final night after their last showdown against Master Kanora.

They were delighted to see that she was a very effective teacher in spite of her age, and that she could use her strength to improve others, rather than just beat them down. She’d offered countless pieces of useful advice during their training, and when they fought against her for the final time, they’d been pleased to see that they could hold their own a lot better. Of course, they were still no match for her. But they had forced her hand, making her rely on new abilities they hadn’t yet seen in order to win. So why they couldn’t defeat her even for a second, they’d learned enough to consider the Crucible a victory.

Master Kanora had granted them one last favor, promising to watch over them as they slept through that final night. They each enjoyed a deep, uninterrupted sleep under her watchful eye, and when they woke, she’d prepared a basic meal for them. Leonov had taken out his coin purse and thanked her for her efforts, trying to pay her, but she’d held up a hand in polite refusal.

“I do not deal in the trade of coin,” she emphasized. “I helped you because I knew that your cause was a noble one. I do hope that you’ll succeed in your mission against the nefarious mage that has given your comrade so much trouble.”

She’d left them then, telling them to enjoy their meal. By the angle of the sun above them, they could tell that they had about six hours until the start of the trial. Just enough time to eat, make it back to Milagre, and bathe before the trial. After the grueling experience of the Crucible, their bodies did not take the long jog back to Milagre well. Still, they could see the differences that the hard work had wrought in their bodies. Not enough to make a definite change, but the start of a stronger level of being, if they pursued it. Even Leonov, the former soldier, was confronted with the realization of this new plane of skill and strength, and he was sorely tempted to reach for it.

The journey back to Milagre was uneventful. Whether because of the recent trauma that the city had endured or because of the region’s over-cautious nature, local crime rates had plummeted since the time before Milagre had been taken. Every important warrior was involved in protecting the area, even those as highly ranked as the leaders of Issho-Ni and the Crown. Master Kanora had told them personally of the exploits of Master Breeden, the warrior they’d fought with to retake the city. He, along with some of his friends, had defeated the leader of the enemy forces, and by that effort, saved them all.

In some ways, Milagre looked the same when they stepped in under the eastern gate and peered around. The signs of damage from the battles that had taken place in the city were still there, and much of the ground was scorched and blackened. But the residents of the great city still moved about in their usual business, and by a glance, it looked as though they’d never suffered.

“Strong and resilient as always,” Leonov commented. His tone was bland, but they could detect a hint of grudging admiration from him. He was a former enemy turned outsider and interloper, but he still couldn’t view the people of this country as apart from him. “I don’t think there’s anything that could break their spirits.”

Roni offered him a slight smirk, turning partially to regard his expression for herself. “The people of Tyrman are a tough lot. You should know that better than most.”

He nodded. “And I do know the truth of it. I’ve taken part in my fair share of battles, and I’ve never met a defender more obstinate and determined as the people of this city. I suspect that is why this empire has been allowed to reign for so long, with only Attos as its real rival.”

“Are the people like this in Attos?” Falynn asked. “Do they have a strong sense of community as well?”

“There is community,” Attos agreed. “But those who are not enlisted or contributing directly to the military are not allowed within our borders. Only the strong can truly serve a nation. If you are not of the military or its support, you are removed from the nation.”

“That sounds cold,” the Druid girl said softly, her eyes bright. “What of the sick and injured? They can’t travel without help.”

Now Leonov looked a little defensive. “We do not simply cast them aside without a care. We make sure that they are able to find their way to a place that suits them. Many of our old prefer the quietude of Nihon-Ja, and travel funds and assistance are afforded to them.”

“Oh,” Falynn said, her cheeks flushing pink. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you. I never thought of it that way.”

Leonov let his anger slip away at once, and he even looked slightly regretful. “No, no, it’s alright. I apologize for snapping at you, Falynn. I know your question was innocent.”

They settled into an awkward sort of silence as they made their way to the bathhouse, and only offered short temporary farewells as they separated for the baths themselves, slipping into their own quiet forms of contemplation. They thought not just of Falynn, locked in her cell and thinking that she was alone again, but also of the enormity of the quest that now lay before them. Neither of them could have expected to have such a difficult task ahead of them. They’d each thought they’d enjoy a somewhat peaceful life of adventure and excitement, or else riches and influence.

 

-

 

Freshly cleaned, and dressed in new, presentable clothing, the three of them found themselves at the entrance of the Crown’s Judgement Hall an hour later, right as the bells struck for the high hour. This building, in lieu of the palace, was designated as the center for all judicial matters of Milagre. There were many citizens in attendance to watch the proceedings today, and not all for Taiki’s trial. Some were here to witness the judgments that would be passed down on many of the criminals who had a hand in Milagre’s disaster.

Taiki’s trial was second on the docket, so they had to sit patiently and wait while a petty thief was tried and ultimately convicted of the crime of looting homes during the crisis. A former soldier, he’d been granted a place in the attacking force that had saved the city, but had used the chance to pilfer instead of fight. His superior officer had caught him in the act, and the man was sentenced to two years of incarceration, to be served in hard labor repairing the city.

Finally, it was Taiki’s turn. Falynn, Leonov, and Roni sat up straight as her name was mentioned by the Magistrate, a middle-aged woman clad in dark grey and red robes, the official colors of Tyrman. She clutched a gavel in her left hand, bringing it down on her wooden desk with a loud slam to signal the beginnings of the trial.

“Next on our docket is the criminal case of Taiki Sato,” she said, in a monotone sort of drone. “Apprentice to Issho-Ni, and a registered member of the Adventurer’s Guild of Milagre.”

The doors at the back opened, and two soldiers entered, dragging, bound hand and foot, the tall and broad-shouldered form of Taiki. Falynn let out a gasp of horror as she came into view, noticing the heavy bruises on her face and arms, as well as what looked like a freshly-healed cut just above her right eye. In spite of her injuries, she looked bored and apathetic about her situation. That was, at least, until she glanced around at the sound of Falynn’s gasp and saw her standing there. She didn’t look angry, but she did seem worried.

“Taiki Sato,” the Magistrate said, raising her voice over the subdued mutters of the crowd, who had also noticed the injuries. “You were recorded as perfectly healthy when you entered custody. What has happened to you?”

Taiki glanced at the woman but didn’t answer. The guard beside her glowered. “She was caught trying to escape, your honor. She refused to comply with our instructions, so we had to force her. She, err, fought back quite a bit.”

In spite of the tension and the nasty bruises, Falynn let out a giggle, which she hastily smothered, going red. That was just like Taiki, she thought. Couldn’t give up fighting even for a short rest, even if it was a detriment to her situation. The Magistrate looked more than a little perturbed. “Was this degree of injury really necessary to guarantee her compliance?”

This time, Taiki did reply. “I refused to give up. They had to knock me out to make me do what they wanted.”

The Magistrate’s eyebrows shot up. “I see. Well, I hope that the guards weren’t too badly injured. We shall proceed. Seat the prisoner.”

Once the guards had done so, watching her carefully for any sign of hostility, the Magistrate spoke again. “Apprentice Sato. You are charged with the unprovoked attack of an elderly man on the high street just three days ago, as well as the murder of the same man. How do you plead regarding this charge.”

“I will not deny that I killed him,” Taiki replied, in her usual uncaring tone. “But he was not innocent.”

“This is an interesting claim to make,” the Magistrate said, a dark frown crossing her face, “Especially when I have witness testimony that you were offered no provocation. The man was being a nuisance, nothing more. Nothing that should have warranted your level of attack.”

“I beg your pardon and apologize for my interruption, your honor,” a new voice said, booming out from the doors to the outside of the building, “But I can assure you that there was plenty of provocation.”

The crowd turned as one, surprised, to see who had spoken out of turn. Standing between the wide open doors, the sunlight outside shining off the gold trimming of his robes, was Grandmaster Ehran Tokugawa, of Issho-Ni. He was dressed in his elaborate, ceremonial robes today, and struck an oddly impressive picture. His expression was one of stern determination, even if his words were polite.

“Master Tokuagwa,” the Magistrate said, glancing at the sand clock to her left. “You are very nearly late.”

“I must apologize for that as well, your honor,” Tokugawa replied, striding forward, his robes billowing out behind him. “As you can imagine, my schedule is quite full with repairs to the city.”

“Yes,” the Magistrate said, clearing her throat. “And we thank you for your time. I am given to understand that you have evidence that supports Apprentice Sato in this matter?”

“I do, your honor. But it is no evidence that I can state in a public forum. May I approach?”

Looking slightly bemused, the Magistrate beckoned him closer, and he stepped forward, pulling a folded piece of parchment from within a sleeve. The Magistrate took the paper and unfolded it. Her eyebrows shot up again as she read, and her jaw dropped an inch or two. Then, just as quickly, she cleared her throat, mastering herself, and glanced around the room.

“Well then,” she said slowly, still seeming to be caught off guard. “With all evidence considered, I see no choice before me but to dismiss the charges.”

She slammed the gavel down. “Taiki Sato, you are free to leave.”

1