Chapter 12
269 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My skeleton friend just stood there looking at me quietly. He most likely doesn’t know how to react to the fact that I’m barging here killing my way through all the enemies without any plan for the next action.

“eh. I’m sorry but…”

The village chief came to us trembling slightly while looking at Momonga. Knowing that villagers fear the undead for obvious reasons I decided to mitigate their worries.

Momonga and I, using telepathy decided to communicate with them anyway and possibly build a foothold for ourselves here. Mostly because it is pretty close to Nazarick and it would be a good source of basic knowledge and a hidden base for covert operations in the region.

The beginning of our tries was marked by a cautious distance from the villagers, their curious eyes analyzing the beings who had saved them. Gratitude mingled with apprehension as they recognized us, undead creatures, a concept ingrained in their minds since childhood. However, close proximity allowed them to eavesdrop on our conversation with the village chief, softening their stance over time. The realization dawned that we, the so-called "monsters," were intelligent and harbored no malevolence. The villagers, while still wary, concluded that we posed no immediate threat.

This shift had a profound impact, prompting them to rethink their approach to intelligent non-human beings. They resolved to treat them like any other human, not rushing to judgment but opting for dialogue first. Such a fast change shocked me at first, but later on, I realized that as villagers they have to adapt constantly so it’s not that hard for them to change their minds like that.

The newfound understanding fostered a connection, and we gleaned valuable knowledge from them during this time.

Our current location on the border of three countries brought both advantages and challenges. The absence of major roads near the tomb made it less likely for passersby, aside from occasional army patrols. However, the looming threat of armies traversing the area during the war was a significant downside, posing potential problems for us.

The Re-Estize Kingdom, an unstable nation with an all-human population, struggled with internal conflicts and a thriving criminal underworld. The Baharuth Empire, ruled by an iron-fisted emperor, boasted the most power in the region, marked by conquests and ruthless uprisings. The Slane Theocracy, vehemently advocating human superiority, presented a challenge with their military might and the faith they put in their gods. Of course, it all depends on the power of the natives. For now, they only met some low-ranked soldiers and villagers so for the time being it’s better to consider them a possible threat.

Discovering that the in-game currency had no value here except for the gold it was made of added another layer of complexity to our situation. As we absorbed this information, the village chief's question about our origins brought us to a critical juncture.

In response, I exchanged a glance with Momonga, the skeleton indicating his reliance on me. Albedo, seemingly disinterested, surveyed the surroundings, leaving me alone with the responsibility.

‘This retard left me alone’

I thought, deciding to play a prank on him. Despite his pleading eyes and panicked voice in my head, I wove an exaggerated story about us being ancient gods who had recently awakened, relishing in Momonga's discomfort.

The village chief, after a moment of contemplation, of course, found our story weird and was sceptical, but didn’t show it. It wasn't just a prank; it was a strategic move to lower the guard of high-profile individuals who might perceive us as lunatics. Our objective was to gain publicity while minimizing the threat from those who would see us as powerful entities beyond their control. At least that was the bullshit reason I gave my friend.

I proposed a plan to resurrect the fallen villagers, anticipating the increased fame it would bring. Momonga expressed concern about unwanted attention, but I reassured him, emphasizing the opportunity to gain trust and establish ourselves as protectors.

Agreeing to the plan, we gathered the bodies and transported them to a remote location. Momonga, utilizing the in-game item "the staff of resurrection," initiated the process. Despite the uncertainty in this real-world setting, our confidence stemmed from Momonga's high-level necromancer abilities.

As the villagers witnessed the revived bodies, their eyes opening and limbs moving, the atmosphere shifted. Miraculously, we had bestowed life upon the fallen, earning profound gratitude and respect. The village chief, symbolizing the villagers' appreciation, presented us with some gold coins as tokens of gratitude.

Preparing to leave, a sudden revelation halted our departure. A villager rushed towards us, breathless, delivering ominous news—armed men on horses were approaching the village. The peaceful moment shattered, replaced by urgency and the looming threat of impending danger.

Our whole group exchanged a meaningful glance, eyes betraying a shared concern and in Albedo’s case readiness for an emergency. I think that she already notified someone in Nazarick to be ready. A premonition lingered, suggesting that the unfolding events were more than mere happenstance. Acting swiftly, I directed the villagers to seek shelter while positioning myself, Albedo and Momonga at the village's perimeter, weapons at the ready, bracing for the imminent arrival of the approaching men.

The group, led by a tall man with a beard and brown hair clad in simple armour, arrived after some time. Observing his unadorned attire, I inferred he hailed from an ordinary family, unfamiliar with the cultural norms of the native society. The medieval setting of the environment mirrored my experiences in Carne village.

12