Chapter 13
246 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The exchange of glances between Momonga and me held a weighty concern, and we both sensed that the unfolding events were no mere coincidence. Acting swiftly, I directed the villagers to seek shelter, all three of us positioned ourselves at the village's perimeter, ready eventual combat, anticipating the arrival of the approaching men.

As time passed, a group led by a tall man with a beard and brown hair, clad in simple armour, reached the village. Given my unfamiliarity with the native culture's social norms, I inferred that he belonged to an ordinary family. The leader of the group,  saw us Standing beside the village chief, and feeling apprehensive, readied his weapon. However, he halted, most likely realizing that we don’t seem to be hostile. Despite the villagers' positive sentiments, he remained vigilant, ready for combat if necessary.

Approaching the village, the man engaged in conversation with the village chief, learning of the assistance we had provided. Visibly astonished, he expressed gratitude for their selfless actions and sought further details about our identities.

“It’s unheard of. Not even in fairy tales have I ever heard about something like this.”

He muttered before dismounting his horse and approaching our group.

“Welcome. My name is Gazef Stronoff, the chief warrior of the Re-Estize kingdom.”

Gazef introduced himself, after which my friend took the stage and started introducing us.

 “Nice to meet you, Gazef Stronoff. I am Momonga, and this is my companion, Atsune. We are travellers who happened to come across this village in need and decided to lend a helping hand."

Momonga remained still, his glowing eyes carefully observing Gazef. The unexpected presence of someone so important prompted us to tread cautiously. Like it’s not every day that we meet one of military commanders if I think right.

Expressing gratitude for our assistance, Gazef inquired about our intentions and the reason for our presence in this part of the world. Hesitating for a moment, I reiterated our tale of being ancient gods awakened from a long slumber, with the intention of bringing peace and stability to those in need.

“Well, your actions speak louder than words, and for that, we are truly grateful. However, I must report your presence to the kingdom. I hope you understand.”

I  honestly don’t know if this guy is naïve, stupid or honest as hell. Maybe he is a good soldier, but not a commander or a politician and that means that his as high in the ranks as I thought unless someone else is pulling the strings and is using this guy. And looking at his personality and actions I’m sure that this is what is happening. There is simply no way for someone like that to survive in the ocean of politics.

We could have killed him to avoid the king or whatever governs this country to know about us, but it’s inevitable so we agreed to cooperate with the kingdom if they wished to speak with us. Albedo then informed us of persons in robes and beings resembling archangel flame in the distance. It got us curious because it means that monsters or mobs from Yggdrasil exist in this world. Looking at the power level of the natives they are most likely only weak trash mobs, but it’s interesting anyway.

As Gazef looked at the corpses of warriors I killed before nearby, realization struck. The attackers had disguised themselves as soldiers from the Baharuth Empire, and the Slane Theocracy aimed to incite war between neighbouring kingdoms. Understanding the gravity of the situation, I contemplated the motives behind sending high-ranking special units for such a task, considering it excessive. Unless despite his general look this man is really someone high in the social ladder.

"Turns out you're not very liked, chief warrior."

Said Momonga, who appears to have the same idea as me. They never came to cause war, or pillage. They are here to lure Gazef out to kill him in an ambush.

“Indeed. The Slane Theocracy has always been a thorn in our side, and their underhanded tactics are nothing new. It seems they have targeted me as a way to weaken the Re-Estize Kingdom."

Gazef grimly replied. This is getting overly complicated for a simple scouting mission. We were supposed to just gather intel, not meddle in such shit.

The weight of our entanglement in the political schemes of this world settled upon Momonga and me. We recognized the necessity of navigating this treacherous terrain with caution, understanding that we could become pawns in someone else's game despite our formidable abilities.

But caution had its limits. If we are too careful other beings and rulers will take that as a weakness and bring trouble or more like annoyance. From what I saw they are too weak to be troublesome, they are more like a fly. Not really harmful, but annoying as hell.

"We will help you deal with the Sunlight Scripture."

I offered, realizing the importance of forging alliances in this unfamiliar land. We are going be known anyway soon. So why not make some allies and people with good opinion of us.

Gazef hesitated, weighing the advantages and drawbacks of accepting our assistance. Ultimately, he agreed, understanding that he needed all the help he could muster. Unbeknownst to him, Momonga, our companions, and I had discerned his self-sacrificial plan and resolved to rescue him at the brink of death, recognizing his potential as an invaluable asset.

During his charge, joined unexpectedly by his team going against his orders, a fierce battle ensued. Despite casualties, Gazef reached the leader of the enemy group, surrounded by summoned angels, wounded but smiling, ready to die.

However, his end was not imminent.

“It seems it’s time to switch.”

14