Illusionary Love
172 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a start, I had to choose a suitable location for the fortress which didn’t take me long considering I had already chosen.

The most convenient place was where the largest building in the village Elder Fulven's house was. It was an ancient yet sturdy building that had three floors and a basement. Truly, it was more like a mansion than a house so it could house quite a few people. Adding to its size, it was a good distance away from the other village houses which would allow me a larger area for construction.

Any of the other suitable locations would require me to cut through the village so If I could avoid demolishing what was left of the elves homes, I would do so.

I had three goals in mind for this fortress.

First, it had to have enough space for the remaining villagers to live comfortably which would require some space for additional housing and storage for supplies.

Second, it had to have sturdy walls strong enough to withstand an enemy magic attack. I had already experienced it first hand so working with it as a measurement, I should be able to gauge what I need for a sufficient defense.

Third, it must have a reliable source of water which could also double as a sewer. This fortress would be the future foundation of a great city and the importance of waste removal could not be overstated.

If one did not effectively deal with sewage, plague and illness would soon follow. This is especially true in a world without modern medicine.

Although I have access to all of earth's medicinal technology, a lot of it costs quite a bit of precious energy not to mention the fact that these elves have a different physiology from earth's humans so I couldn't just pull out some antibiotics if some elves start showing signs of cholera.

Is it even cholera? What if it's another disease that's native to this world? Are antibiotics even effective? These are questions that are best avoided for now so prevention is key and hygiene is paramount.

The easiest way to do this was to utilize the river so the fortress would have to encompass part of it. Of course it’ll effect anyone downstream but that’s a ‘them’ problem.

‘They’ll suffer for a while...at least till I can create a sewage treatment facility. This is all for the greater good.’ I quickly justify the decision to pollute the downstream river.

With my mental prep done, I go and inspect the area with Nylan, Valter and Cynthia curiously following behind.

“Soren, you said that you’ll build a safe haven for us, are you speaking the truth?” Cynthia asked with an odd look in her eyes which seemed to follow my every movement.

I nod. “What we need now is a place that can weather the oncoming storm like a fortress.”

Ever the skeptic, Nylan said. “A fortress? That which is made from stone?” He shook his head and muttered. “I’ll believe it when I see it.” He simply didn’t believe that a fortress could sprout up out from nowhere. They were large construction projects that take massive amounts of resources, labour and years to build.

I don’t bother replying, for now only action can convince Nylan and that is exactly what I’ll do.

As we walk along the outer perimeter of Fulven’s house, I have Eleanor mark out the guidelines for the walls.

In my vision, a set of gridlines appear and the location for the wall was marked in red, it surrounded quite a large space which would allow enough space for other buildings. The river which wasn’t that wide also had part of it included.

I stroke my chin. ‘First up is to build the wall. I could start from the ground up with some concrete blocks and mortar but it would take too long to build something sufficient enough in the limited time we have. Though it’ll be more expensive I’ll just have to choose a pre-made one.’

Images within my mind flicker past. I see many walls like the berlin wall, some walls made from wood, others made from composite materials and even ancient walls like china’s great wall.

‘There’s too many, I need to narrow down the choices. A good wall for the current situation will need to be strong, tall and with enough room to shoot from.. medieval perhaps?’

I browse the various options and come upon one that is satisfactory.

They were the walls of conwy.

Built from limestone, rhyolite and sandstone, they stood 9 meters tall and was 1.7 meters thick. They also came with some rather impressive towers.

Looking at the wall in my mind, I frown. ‘Building the entire wall would most certainly sap a great deal of my lifespan but..’ I cut away a most of the wall leaving only a small section. ‘ With this amount, it’ll drain about 90 percent of my creation energy if it's at a 100 percent. It should only take a few days to build the outlined walls, I’ll also have 10 percent to spare just in case I need it.’

“You three should step back.” I say firmly.

Looking a bit confused, Nylan, Valter and Cynthia step back quite a bit, at least ten meters away.

I picture of the conwy wall is set in my mind and then my hands begin to glow, far brighter than before. When it looked like I had two searchlights strapped to my palms, I slam them against the ground.

Suddenly the ground starts to shake and then it splits open like thunder, the next moment I’m rising into the air with great speed.

I feel great weakness within as my energy quickly depletes.

After a brief moment, my hands stop glowing and the trembling stops. A great amount of dust fills my vision and I hear a few gasps from down below.

I find myself atop the ramparts of the wall section that I envisioned in my mind, though it doesn’t have its weathered moss infested appearance, in fact it looks like it was just built.

I run my hand along the rectangular parapet and smile. ‘These battlements should provide decent enough protection, at least against a fireball.’

“How does it look Eleanor?”

“Very good master, 33 percent of the wall has been completed.”

“So it should only take a couple days to finish, that’s sooner than I expected.” I yawn. ‘Though I now feel quite weak, I only have around 2 percent of my energy left which is cutting it close. I better get some rest.’

I use my cybernetic arm to rappel safely to the ground and I’m suddenly greeted by Nylan and Cynthia who seemed quite excited, Valter still had a steely expression though there was a bit of awe in his eyes.

Nylan who had been a non-believer before was now showing the slightest amount, though it was small, it was a good start.

Valter admired the wall and said with some emotion. “You are full of surprises Soren.”

Nylan inspected the wall and asked. “It’s a great wall and all but where’s the rest of it?”

I cough awkwardly and smile. “I used up all my energy and can’t build any more, I’ll continue tomorrow. For now I must get some sleep.” As I say that, I can barely keep my eyes open and I yawn again.

“Oh, well you should rest. You’re free to stay at my grandfather’s home, there’s plenty of space.” Nylan half smiled and crossed his arms.

“Thank you Nylan, I will take you up on that offer. I recommend you three get some practice with the guns, though its just a suggestion.”

Valter says with his eyes ablaze. “I’m gonna go practice, the sound of gunfire has already got my blood boiling.”

‘Now that he mentions it, I have been hearing some regular gunfire for a while now. Aela must be doing well teaching the others.’

Nylan sighs sadly. “Now that my grandfather has passed on, I must take up his duties. I will be busy for a time.”

“I have something I must take care of.” Cynthia says without explaining, though her vacant eyes showed that something was on her mind.

"If you need anything, I'll be here tomorrow. Valter, make sure you tell that to Aela just in case she needs more ammo."

Valter nods. "I will."

I part with the trio and then begin walking towards Fulven’s house. While lost in my own thoughts, I hear Eleanor speak.

“Master, you should be careful around that elf called Cynthia.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Though she kept it well hidden, I have detected several signs of mental instability. She may be dangerous.”

I cup my chin. “I have felt that something about her does feel off but maybe I’m overthinking things.”

‘I still don’t know these villagers well but that’s to be expected as I’ve only spent a single day with them. When things have calmed down and we have some semblance of peace and safety, I can get to know them better.’

I turn my thoughts elsewhere and recollect everything that had recently happened.

‘Things seemed to move so fast. It was only a few days ago that I first found myself in this world dying, then turning myself into a cybernetic abomination just to survive. Then I poke my nose into a matter I know nothing about and save a bunch of helpless villagers and now here I am.. building a fortress in order to protect them.’

I mumble. “How ridiculous..”

“Did you say something master?” Eleanor asks.

I shake my head. “Nothing.”

...

With the darkening sky above, Cynthia hummed a joyful tune as she skipped down the dirt road towards her home.

Paying no mind to the pillaged appearance of her village and the solemn expressions that painted the few elves she came across who were clearing away the mess and burying the dead.

She briskly weaved her way past the rubble of several houses and eventually found hers. Made from the surrounding forest, it was built into a sturdy log cabin.

The house was still intact though like the others, it had been ravaged with her cooking ware, pots and clay plates being thrown all over the front yard.

She entered through the open door and saw that most of her things had been taken, her mother’s jewel bracelet and her father’s sword, even her clothes weren’t spared.

Most would be torn up seeing such a scene or maybe even shedding a tear but Cynthia showed an eerie indifference.

She closed the door leaving the house in darkness, strangely enough, the windows had long been covered with cloth.

With a flick of her finger, a flame appeared at the tip illuminating the darkness.

What was revealed was a horrific smile showing far too much teeth. Cynthia’s silver eyes now had an extra layer of depth to them, as if there were stars within.

Her expression could only be described as one of absolute delight.

She walked over to her bed which had been overturned and with pulled it to the side exposing the wooden floor.

With a wave of her hand, the ordinary looking floor evaporated like a mirage revealing a basement hatch.

Pulling the rope handle, she lifted it open showing some darkened stairs, a slight buzzing could be heard.

Cynthia walked down the creaky staircase and entered an open room, the smell of rot and decay entered her nose but she didn’t flinch as if she was used to it.

There was a closed chest and a desk beside it, on the desk was an old book and when she saw what was in the center of the room, her smile grew wide.

“Oh my beloved Amyon, there you are. Did you miss me?” Cynthia walked over to a male elf who was tied to a chair.

Amyon shrunk back, his eyes betraying his fear. He tried to scream but rope gagging his mouth only allowed an unintelligible growl to escape.

“I know, I know. How’s auntie and uncle doing? Have they been keeping you company?”

Aamyon looked over to the corned with bloodshot eyes and there lay two corpses which were being feasted upon by maggots and insects.

“Let me guess, Uncle told you about how he scared off a plinthwyvern.” She bopped the shivering Aamyon on the nose and sighed. “He’s just boasting like always.”

Tears seemed to fly out of his despairing eyes.

Seeing this, Cynthia chuckled. “I’m sorry I couldn’t feed you your lunch as we were attacked by.. humans..” Her smiley expression quickly changed to that of deranged madness, her teeth literally cracking from being clenched.

This scared the poor elf so much that he almost fainted.

Though her expression disappeared just as quickly as it came showing one of tender gentleness.

She stroked the Amyon’s purple hair and said. “But you don’t need to worry about those bad humans as they have been slaughtered!” Cynthia licked her lips in joy as she hugged her shoulders and spun from side to side. “It was beautiful Amyon, watching those wretched worms die, their expressions..ahn I wish I could take their faces off and keep them forever.”

Cynthia seemed mesmerized as she continued. “It was there where I met him Amyon, my saviour.. Soren.”

As if in remembrance her eyes became misty as she quivered. “He killed them all for me, to save me, I know this Amyon. He must be courting me.. what a flirt.”

Hearing this, there seemed to be a flash of hope in Amyon’s eyes as he vigorously nodded his head.

With sadness in her eyes, Cynthia straddled Amyon.

“You know, when you vowed that you loved me and that you wanted to wed me I was so happy that I promised to give you my heart till death...and then Uncle and auntie just had to learn that I had atavism, my greatest secret. They wanted to keep us apart and send me off to Solstace.. but I fixed that. We were to be married by the end of the week, I had the dress and everything but now everything has changed.”

“Amyon, I thought for sure that you were my destined love but..” Cynthia sighed with heavy emotion in her voice. “I was wrong. What we shared was nothing but mere infatuation, our love illusionary.”

Amyon’s head nodded even faster, as if he were desperately agreeing.

“But I have always kept my promises and thus, my heart still belongs to you. That’s a problem... you’re now standing in the way of my and Soren’s perfect love.”

Amyon realised something and shook his head violently, his tear filled eyes filled with pleading.

Cynthia’s eyes became blank as she tilted her head. “So my beloved Amyon..” She gently wrapped her hands around his neck and began to squeeze.

“Will you die for me?”

2