Chapter LXV – Kingship Vote
198 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blood and Winter

The Dragons

Chapter LXV - Kingship Vote

As the guards pushed open the door to the Great Hall, Garlan and Marq stepped into the room. Already many of the lords had gathered, a dull murmuring filling the room as they chatted amongst one another. He didn't stop, instead moving towards where Smalljon stood beside Rodrick Forrester and Dickon Tarly.

"So, Robb really intends to go ahead with this?" Rodrick asked and Garlan nodded his head.

"I've tried to convince him otherwise, told him that we named him King, not anyone else. But he is determined to avoid internal strife within the court." Garlan informed him.

"Understandable, but I don't like the idea of these, Vale men coming in and taking over," Smalljon muttered angrily, a glare on his face as he looked at a few of the lords in question. "We've been fighting this war since the beginning, now they come along and try to take over, it ain't right."

"Agreed." Marq nodded his head in agreement, all pausing when they noticed the door open and in come Ned start, pushed in by a large, muscular young man clad in the colours of House Baratheon. Beside him was Yohn Royce and the heir apparent of the Vale, Harold Hardyng. "But it is the King's decision, and we must abide by it. At least this way, just as we've had little time to gather votes, so has the Vale lords."

"Well, we've had more time to prepare ourselves considering we were informed of this decision beforehand, unlike the others." Garlan pointed out and there were a few shared nods. That was a positive considering this meeting was a spur of the moment decision for many of the lords. However, to Garlan and the others, they had only a handful of days to make some moves, but it was more time than anyone else had.

But even then, it wasn't as much as any one of them would have liked. Especially when there were still many lords that they were unsure of who they would vote for.

However, before any more could be said, the doors opened once more and in stepped the Young Wolf himself. A hush fell over the room as he strode across the room, completely dismissing everyone and everything before taking a seat at the head of the table. At his side, Grey Wind followed him and the light snarls it gave every so often, went a long way in showing the mood Robb was in.

It was something many of them knew but didn't fully understand. There was an unexplainable connection between Robb and Grey Wind. One that allowed people to gain a reflection of Robb's thoughts and feelings due to the actions of his Direwolf. And by the snarls, Grey Wind gave, the King was not in a happy mood.

As Robb sat at the head of the table all the lords and representatives did the same. This time, the table was truly divided, the Vale lords on the left with Ned sat closest to Robb and the North, Reach and Riverland lords to the right, Garlan directly across from Ned and closest to Robb. But even then, as it seemed like the table was split evenly, Garlan knew that was far from the case.

He knew that the Reach houses would follow his command and that meant voting for Robb. As would many young North and Riverland house representatives, but he did not know about the older ones. Nor was he fully certain about the Crownland or the Westerlands.

"It has come to my attention, that despite being so close to ending the war, we now have other problems to face," Robb said quietly. "So close, yet because of incessant greed, we could lose it all."

There were a few shifts and murmurs of discontent from many around the room, unsure of why Robb was saying such things. Robb meanwhile remained silent, gaze trailing across each man and woman, making sure each was aware of the scrutiny he was giving them before moving on to the next.

"So, before we make any decisions about the war, let us make one thing clear. Who is in command of this army? I'm not requiring an answer, that is something we're going to solve right here, right now." Robb told them all clearly, leaving no room for misunderstanding. "We're going to put it to a vote, everyone around the room, in a calm, orderly manner will voice their suggestion. Olyvar, take note of the names put forward and how many votes they get."

"Yes, your grace," Olyvar muttered, bowing his head, having already been informed beforehand and now here, holding a quill and paper ready.

"Your grace, is this wise?" Tytos Blackwood asked, similar concerns were being raised all around. "It could cause a large amount of division amongst us all."

"That is true, but at the same time, there will be a clear leadership, that no one can question," Robb replied. "Anyone that does, well, they're welcome to leave." That challenge alone triggered many reactions, from those who had served under Robb for a long time, they remained silent. However, for those newer to Robb and his leadership, there was anger that was expressed in shouting.

And like always, Lord Umber silenced it all, one hand smashing onto the table shocking many. "Be quiet!"

"Thank you, Lord Umber. Now then, if we're done, let us begin." Robb looked to Garlan who remained silent for only a moment. Many of the lords and representatives looked to him as well, wondering where his vote would go.

"My vote will be for the man who has led us since the beginning, Robb Stark." Garlan nodded to the young man.

"Here, here." Smalljon agreed from his side, not quite the calm and orderly response Robb had explained, but one that anyone who knew Smalljon was about as close as he would get to calm and orderly.

A few more lords voted all of them young lords, each voted for Robb. But then they reached the first of the older lords, Rickard Karstark. There was a pause, he looking out at all the lords and studying each of them, though his gaze was mostly focused on Robb Stark and Eddard Stark. "My vote is for Robb Stark."

This word sent a ripple of mutterings across from the room. Many of the Vale lords looked to him in shock, but the two men in question that people looked to, were Robb and Ned themselves. Neither gave away anything, just remaining silent.

And soon after, Maege Mormont put in her vote as well. "Robb Stark."

"Robb Stark." Galbert Glover followed.

"Robb Stark."

"Robb Stark."

"Robb Stark."

"Robb Stark."

"Eddard Stark." That was Lord Darry who spoke, and this change caused another murmur to fill the room.

As the last of the northern lords gave their vote, each for Robb Stark. And then the Riverlands went, that was when the split started to form with most voting for Robb, but a few put the name of Eddard into the mix. Then the Reach lords went, a unanimous vote for the Young Wolf. But again, that changed when the Crownland and Westerland lords came, a mix between the two Starks, one edging slightly more in favour of Eddard. Before finally reaching the Vale lords, much like with the Reach, it was a unanimous decision, but for Eddard Stark.

'So it has been decided.' Eddard thought to himself, looking around at the lords at the table, each of which looked to him for his decision. Not that it would matter much, the vote for who would lead had already been decided, and his vote wouldn't make a difference. 'You truly have accomplished a great deal.' Eddard turned to his son who looked out at the hall, before turning to him. 'I'm proud of you, Robb.'

"Robb Stark," Eddard said, and with that last name, the vote had ended.

Robb Stark, the Young Wolf was now the undisputed King.

So, another chapter is done and I hope you all enjoyed it. Anyway, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. 

4