Chapter Twenty-Six: Two Scrolls
234 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Impudent!” Wan Yu gritted out before moving to attack Xiao Xue with a palm strike.

Xiao Xue looked at the incoming assault and felt a little lonely. 

From the beginning Xiao Xue knew her senior sisters did not like her because of her unknown origins. Their initial distaste evolved to loathing when Master appointed Xiao Xue as the successor. But as crazy as it sounds, Xiao Xue always held on to the hope that things could change, that it might get better. Xiao Xue believed her senior sisters would realize that she was not there to compete with them or outshine them in any way.

As the palm strike drew closer, Yi Sheng’s stern countenance and warning flashed on Xiao Xue’s mind as she lifted her palm to counter Wan Yu. Her current Master reminded her, again and again, that she should not circulate or use spiritual energy. Unless her life is being threatened, Xiao Xue should not put pressure on her dantian. 

The two palms connected. Loaded with opposing energies it exploded into a blinding light. Wan Yu was pushed back over a dozen steps while Xiao Xue managed to stabilize herself after taking three steps back.

“Impossible!” Rui Qin paled as she helped Wan Yu stabilize herself.

“How?” Wan Yu asked, wiping the blood from the corner of her lips with the back of her jade-like hands. Her confidence was greatly shaken. 

Wan Yu started cultivating from a young age and was provided with the best resources. All her life she had never met an opponent from the same age group who could suppress her. When Wan Yu’s cultivation strength reached Martial Spirit Realm before her twentieth spring her admirers grew and people’s expectations of her increased. Being a Martial King cultivator, the road to being an immortal was already wide open. Or so she thought…

When Xiao Xue was taken to the temple eight years ago she was a trash with broken meridians. Although her meridians were repaired, it took time for her to heal and more time was needed before she could start to cultivate. 

If one counted the years that Xiao Xue have been cultivating it should be no more than six years. Two of those six years were spent without guidance and resources or any form of help from the temple. Even if Xiao Xue acquired the Priestess’ inheritance, how could she grow so strong within such a short period of time?

Rui Qin supported Wan Yu while Mei Ling stood defensively in front of the two. Now that Xiao Xue displayed her strength, they were more cautious and a bit afraid.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Mei Ling scolded, disregarding the fact that it was Wan Yu who made a move first. “Do you want to cut ties with the temple? Are you rebelling against Master’s teaching?!”

Anger surged through Xiao Xue’s heart as she heard Mei Ling’s unreasonable reproach. 

Rebelling against master? It was them who disregarded Master’s teaching first. It was them who forgot what Master taught! How dare they admonish her for something she did not do and would never do while they’re using the temple’s name to trick people!

Xiao Xue has been holding back for years. It doesn’t matter how low they treat her or how bad they make her out in front of others. If they wanted something, no matter how irrational, Xiao Xue always gave way. Even when they abused their authority in order to torment her, Xiao Xue did not object or make a fuss. But declaring that she’s dissenting against Master’s teaching is something that Xiao Xue will never accept!

Due to her repressed emotions, Xiao Xue forgot that she was not supposed to utilize spiritual energy. Her aura soared and pressed against the three women standing before her. Xiao Xue could feel intense pain emanating from her dantian but chose to ignore it. The blood that surged on her throat was forcefully swallowed as she slowly lifted her palm and launched an attack towards the three.

Three long and deep pits formed by Mei Ling’s feet. If she did not evade in time her leg would have been severed. Mei Ling’s eyes widened in shock as she fearfully watched Xiao Xue’s unhurried approach. It belatedly occurred to her that this apprentice sister was no longer the one they used to bully.

“Wind Claw… elemental attack…” Rui Qin muttered to herself. She turned to Xiao Xue and asked fearfully, “You’ve awakened your spiritual roots. How?”

Xiao Xue looked back at Rui Qin and smiled fondly. This senior sister has always been the smart one. 

It is true that Xiao Xue’s spiritual roots are awakened but it wasn’t recently or due to training. Unlike others, who open the path of their spiritual roots by consuming a beast’s core of a legendary spiritual beast or a demonic beast, Xiao Xue was born with a special constitution. When the previous Priestess discovered this, she immediately got Xiao Xue tested for elemental affinity. 

The result of the test was quite astonishing as it indicated that Xiao Xue has an affinity with all the elements, a first in the continent of Lyra. Fearing for Xiao Xue’s safety, the result was kept as a secret between the Master and disciple. To further ensure her safety, Xiao Xue was taught a special breathing technique called ‘breathing through pores’ that completely hides her aura and presence. This is the reason why no one could sense any spiritual fluctuation from her or gauge  the level of her cultivation no matter how hard or how long they prod. Unless Xiao Xue purposely releases her aura, no one would be able to measure her true strength.

Due to her deep comprehension of Dao, Xiao Xue’s cultivation progress has always been smooth. With the aid of the Priestess’ inheritance Xiao Xue’s breakthrough through the stages of Martial Spirit Realm were easy. Due to the cultivation method she’s practicing, which was usually used by Celestial Realm experts, it made Xiao Xue stronger than other cultivators from the same level. 

By the time of the beast tide Xiao Xue’s cultivation had risen to the peak of Martial Emperor, only a step away from Transcendence Realm.

The attack Xiao Xue carelessly threw by Mei Ling’s feet is one of the lesser techniques she learned through the years. Although elemental attacks are mainly used by practitioners on the Martial Spirit Realm or higher, Xiao Xue started learning these skills after she reached the late stage of Core Formation. Xiao Xue learned and cultivated common techniques since and by the time she reached the peak stage of Martial Warrior, Xiao Xue could already fuse her attacks with the elements she’d managed to evoke.

“As High Priestess of Spirit Temple, I could kill the three of you now as punishment for all the transgressions you’ve committed against the temple through the years.” Xiao Xue said slowly, fires of anger burning in her eyes. 

Xiao Xue wanted the three to understand that she has the right and the strength to do so. She wanted them to know that she’s not as weak and as easy to bully as they believed. Xiao Xue wanted her senior sisters to fear her so they would not think of repeating the same mistakes in the future, especially now that she’s about to leave.

Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling stared at Xiao Xue like they were seeing her for the first time. They did not know, they never believed that the person they’ve been terrorizing and oppressing all this time was stronger than them. Xiao Xue never fought back before. No matter what they say or do not once have she tried to defend herself or guard against them. 

Xiao Xue’s quiet demeanor led the three of them to believe that they are superior and stronger than her. But in truth, Xiao Xue was only giving them face and doing them a favor. Xiao Xue was adhering to Master’s teachings and if she wanted to crush them, even with their strengths combined, they would not be able to fight back. If Xiao Xue demanded their heads they could only wait for death to come!

Xiao Xue withdrew her killing intent and said, “In respect to Master’s benevolence and her care towards me, I will spare you this one time.” 

She reached inside her sleeve and the three women instantly went rigid, alert and somewhat scared of what she was about to do. Xiao Xue noticed their distress and moved her hand slower so they could clearly see her movement and would not do anything drastic. 

Even if she was upset and angry, Xiao Xue cannot bring herself to fight her senior sisters seriously. She does not want to hurt them. Xiao Xue wanted them to learn that not everything is as simple as it seems and they are not as unparalleled as they thought or believed.

Two scrolls were gently placed on the ground as Xiao Xue straightened up to explain. “The first scroll contains the key to breaking the matrix and controlling the barrier around Infernal Rise Valley. With your progress, each one of you would be able to learn and use the key within a year, two at most. I’ve made some improvements so it is easier to understand and use. You will know once you read and analyze it.”

Wan Yu, Rui Qin and Mei Ling were bowled over. All three tried to show a calm façade but failed to do so. 

To be fair, the previous Priestess gave all her disciples a chance to learn the key in order to control the barrier but only Xiao Xue succeeded. Xiao Xue’s success further fueled the trio’s dissatisfaction, intent on the belief that Master was too partial. They thought Master secretly helped Xiao Xue with learning the key. 

The three never thought that Xiao Xue, who was the youngest and weakest amongst them at the time, could break the key without their Master’s help. Back then and even now, they could not accept that Xiao Xue’s level of comprehension was stronger and higher than theirs. 

In summation, it was arrogance, sense of superiority and self-importance that blinded them from recognizing the truth..

Xiao Xue pretended not to see their troubled expressions and continued to explain. “The second scroll contains a revised method to control the matrix. Operating the matrix during the beast tide and repairing it afterwards is quite strenuous. A single person cannot wholly shoulder the burden that’s why every Priestess who performed the ritual suffered grave injuries. Master and I developed a new way to lessen the load by adding more people into the equation. Learning the key is still essential but with this new method the pressure will be split three ways. Before Master passed away we managed to put the theory to test in order to gauge its effect and our hard work bore fruit. This development is for the future of the temple. I suggest for the three of you to learn the new method first and once that is done, select disciples to groom and succeed you.”

After accomplishing the tasks she set for herself, Xiao stepped forward. She stopped when she was near them and said in a gentle tone, “Master never meant for me to stay in the temple forever. She hoped the three of you could bring Spirit Temple to new heights and greater glory. Do not disappoint her.” 

Three balls of light shot out from Xiao Xue’s sleeve and hovered in front of the three women. 

“I’ve split the inheritance into three parts as per Master’s request. With this you’d be able to break through to the next level without problems. Try to learn the key at the shortest possible time. Do not worry, although I am no longer a disciple of Spirit Temple I am still Master’s disciple. If the next beast tide comes and no one manages to learn the key or understand the matrix, I will come back and defend the valley once more.”

Xiao Xue did not delay any longer and went on her way. Her body was throbbing painfully and her every step was heavy but curiously, her heart felt free. Xiao Xue has accomplished almost all the errands Master assigned to her and now she was set to fulfill the last and most important task, to travel and learn outside. 

Xiao Xue no longer hesitated. She was ready to go back to Xie Yuan.

8