Chapter Twenty-Eight: Closer
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yi Xin threw a fit when he learned of Xiao Xue’s deteriorated condition upon their return to the manor. But after seeing Xie Yuan’s dark look and feeling his imposing aura, Yi Xin immediately composed himself. And his laudable display of self-control might have saved his little life. 

Yi Xin wanted to complain and grumble but he knew he did not have the luxury to waste time on pointless matters. And for the following days, instead of wallowing in past events, Yi Xin devoted himself to healing his patients.

When Xiao Xue learned that He Ling was recuperating outside she asked Xie Yuan to allow Yi Xin to bring him back to the manor. It was not He Ling’s fault that he went back to the manor alone. At the time, there was nothing He Ling could say that would have changed Xiao Xue’s mind. 

Xiao Xue stressed that He Ling was only obeying orders, her orders, so there was no misconduct or insubordination that happened. Xie Yuan did not wholly agree with her reasons but conceded to her request. 

In order to avoid future conflicts on whose order should be followed, He Ling was directly assigned to be Xiao Xue’s personal guard. Whatever happens in the future, Xiao Xue was the only person he would follow and listen to.

It took another week for Xiao Xue’s condition to stabilize and during those days disciples from Spirit Temple came to the manor after they heard she was leaving Infernal Rise Valley. Almost everyone that came wanted to follow Xiao Xue, most were regretful of their past actions and vowed to serve her to make amends. Their intentions were well-intended but in the end everyone was politely declined. 

It was never Xiao Xue’s purpose to amass followers or gain commendation for her efforts. What she did was done for the purpose of serving Spirit Temple and to show gratitude towards her deceased Master, nothing more. 

Xiao Xue does not feel strong attachment towards Spirit Temple, mainly because she knew from the beginning that she would have to leave. But that does not mean she would sit idly by and watch the temple fall to ruins. There was no use digging up old grudges and holding on to the past. What’s needed now is cooperation, between the old and the new, in order to push Spirit Temple towards a brighter future.

After her confrontation with her senior sisters, Xiao Xue was certain that things would change for the better. It would be hard for the trio but they do not need her, not anymore. Right now, what the elders need most is determination to overcome what happened and overturn the wrong things they’ve done. In short, they need a strong will to change. Xiao Xue’s presence would only serve as a constant reminder of their failures. In consideration of the future, Xiao Xue leaving the temple is the best course overall.

In order to inspire the disciples who came to visit her, Xiao Xue decided to share a bit of her history with them. Though the time was limited, she managed to impart some of her master’s teachings and share some of her insights. 

Unfortunately, those who joined Spirit Temple due to their belief in the High Priestess were incensed with the offense the elders committed. Even if they were given a fresh view of things, most of them cannot forget and fear that the same thing might happen again. These group of disciples thoroughly severed their ties with the temple and decided to contemplate through experience and travel. No one blamed or chastised these disciples for leaving. In cultivation, it is necessary to have a clear mind and undisturbed heart. If they cannot forgive then it is better to seek their destinies elsewhere.

But it was not all bad. Some, who were touched by Xiao Xue’s words and experiences, went back, albeit reluctantly, to the temple. Each left with a solemn promise to look after Spirit Temple on Xiao Xue’s behalf. They vowed to make the temple better and ensure that it would stay true to the previous Priestesses’ teachings.  They vowed to become worthy of being called disciples of Spirit Temple. They fervently hoped that if and when Xiao Xue decides to come back to Spirit Temple, they would deserve to call her Master.

The emotional roller coaster during the week felt unending. Even the proud citizens of Infernal Rise Valley respectfully visited Xiao Xue to thank her for her protection and wished her well for the future. 

Curiously, the three elders of Spirit Temple did not show themselves but sent their inheriting disciples instead bearing gifts and a simple note which read: Go and be free. 

After Xiao Xue read the short missive, she sat by the window for a whole day, looking out towards the direction of Spirit Temple. She did not say anything but Xie Yuan could tell that a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

The day the group left Infernal Rise Valley the tall gates of Spirit Temple, that have been open for years, were firmly closed. Word spread that most of the disciples were asked to leave. They were sent back to their homes with generous compensation and sincere apologies. Only a few inner and inheriting disciples were allowed to stay within Spirit Temple. This news caused a huge sensation within the valley but no one questioned the elders’ decision because this was how it used to be.

Xiao Xue stood by the gates of Infernal Rise Valley and sighed. She hesitated for a breath before she purposely looked back.

“What’s the matter?” Xie Yuan asked.

“The next step I take would lead me away from Spirit Temple.” Xiao Xue said emotionally as she stared at the old temple sitting upon the rise on the hill, nestled within the trees. “It’s been eight years since I crossed these gates to become Master’s disciple and this is the first time I’m going away.” 

With her next step, Xiao Xue would be venturing towards the unknown. There was a wistful look in her eyes, reluctant to part and longing to stay. But at the same time a sort of anticipation raged in her heart.

Xie Yuan could understand Xiao Xue’s complicated feelings. He felt the same way the first time he left home. 

“Reluctant?” He asked. His tone might be teasing but in his heart Xie Yuan was uneasy and insecure. Would Xiao Xue regret leaving? Would his Little Xue regret going with him?

Xiao Xue stared at Xie Yuan and smiled knowingly. Taking his hand, she boldly stepped forward and declared, “I am with you. What is there to be reluctant about?” 

Xiao Xue did not stop moving forward until the gates of Infernal Rise Valley were no longer in sight. She did not look back again, not once. After a while, Xiao Xue squeezed Xie Yuan’s hand before slowly letting go. 

“I will be in your care from now on, Ah Yu.” She took a step back and bowed deeply. “Please treat me kindly.”

Understanding her underlying message, Xie Yuan laughed heartily. Under the surprised gazes of Zhang Lao and the others, Xie Yuan grabbed Xiao Xue and gave her a quick kiss on the corner of her cherry lips. 

“Please take care of me from now on too, Little Xue!” Xie Yuan respectfully reciprocated the gesture, his amethyst eyes bright and dancing in delight.

Due to Xiao Xue’s condition they cannot fly on swords for very long. Zhang Lao arranged for a carriage in one of the towns they passed through and made necessary arrangements for their journey. 

Yan Hao was tasked to travel ahead in order to arrange accommodations for the group at every stop. He Heng was to drive the carriage while He Ling served as their scout along the way. Zhang Lao was to oversee their basic needs and Yi Xin, fearing for his life, decided to ride a horse. This arrangement left Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue to ride the carriage together.

Xie Yuan was worried of aggravating and worsening Xiao Xue’s condition so they made a lot of stops, to rest and restore their strength, along the way. The original month-long journey, from Infernal Rise Valley to Divine Martial Sect, lasted for almost two months.

“How much farther?” Xiao Xue asked when they arrived at the rest stop for the day.

“Two days more,” Xie Yuan answered, supporting Xiao Xue off the carriage. “Tired?”

“No, not really.” Xiao Xue decidedly shook her head.

Xie Yuan was very attentive and considerate throughout the journey and there was nothing Xiao Xue could complain about, especially with how he behaved towards her. Although Xie Yuan was a bit shameless at times, especially when they were trying to deepen their feelings, he knew the boundaries and would immediately stop if something was too much for her. All in all, the journey served as a good time for the two to get to know each other better.

In truth, it was not the journey Xiao Xue was tired of but the lack of scenery. To be more precise, the lack of adventure. The group usually stopped in big towns and known cities. Xie Yuan was well-traveled and knew a lot of places that were a novelty for Xiao Xue to visit and sight-see. 

But what Xiao Xue truly craved more during the journey was the life outdoors. She wanted to explore the rivers and mountains in between the places they passed through. But because of her incapacitated condition their choices were a tad limited.

When Xiao Xue rode the flying sword with Xie Yuan she felt exhilarated. Xiao Xue never felt such exhilaration before. Unfortunately, when Xie Yuan saw how tired Xiao Xue was after, he was reluctant to take her flying again. Xie Yuan was insistent on having her rest and using the carriage to travel.

But how could Xie Yuan not know what Xiao Xue was thinking? He has been closely observing her and noticed her fidgeting in her seat for the past few days. Xie Yuan did not want to be overly strict so he consulted Yi Xin about Xiao Xue’s current condition, to know if it was possible to indulge her for a bit. 

After exchanging ideas for a whole night, the two men finally decided they would allow Xiao Xue to travel the last leg of the journey as she liked. Xiao Xue’s condition is currently stable and it’s only for two days. If they take the necessary precautions and watch her condition closely, the two believe there should be no problem. Besides, too much coddling would do Xiao Xue more harm than good. But to be safe, the carriage will follow in case of emergency.

“If you’re tired then I guess we cannot ride horses tomorrow…” Xie Yuan baited and chuckled when he saw her immediately perk up. 

Although Xiao Xue normally looked well-behaved and biddable, there were moments when Xie Yuan would see glimpses of the wild spirit she’s been trying hard to suppress. There’s no greater pleasure for him than to watch her unleash that restrained spirit. In fact, Xie Yuan is excited to witness what sort of surprise Xiao Xue would give him once she breaks free of those shackles.

“Really?!” Xiao Xue asked excitedly tugging on Xie Yuan sleeve. 

Xiao Xue dreamed of travelling on horseback, like those heroines of old, exploring the horizon and going where the wind takes her. She wanted to feel the sun and rain on her cheeks, to fly with the wind as she galloped through the fields, free and unrestrained. It’s a secret pleasure that she’s been harboring and Xie Yuan is now willing to fulfill one of her greatest desires.

After seeing Xiao Xue’s flushed look and bright eyes, Xie Yuan couldn’t resist teasing her. “But if you’re tired I guess we can just…”

Xiao Xue immediately pounced on Xie Yuan, forgetting the fact that they were in front of the inn where people were gathered and passing by, and exclaimed excitedly, “Not tired! Not tired at all!” She rushed to wrap her arms around his and gently rubbed her cheeks on him like a spoiled child. “Ah Yu, thank you!”

Noticing her juvenile behavior, Xie Yuan’s heart felt ticklish. Xiao Xue is younger than him by three years but because of her mature nature, he forgets how young she is. Xiao Xue has always been grounded and rational so it’s hard to see her as a regular young lady. Young ladies her age were more uninhibited and had few worries. But aside from this moment, Xie Yuan had never seen her act in such a jovial way that actually matched her age.

Xie Yuan placed his hands on Xiao Xue’s small waist and gently squeezed. His little wife was slowly coming out of her shell and expressing herself more lately. At first, Xiao Xue was stiff and reserved. It took her time to grow closer and accustomed to their changed situation. But now, Xie Yuan is discovering new expressions every day. 

Spending time with each other for most of the journey brought them closer and allowed them to be more intimate. Getting to know each other better is the best reward brought about by this long journey. Xie Yuan could not wait to deepen their relationship further in the near future.

In view of Xiao Xue’s warm reaction to the surprise of riding a horse, Xie Yuan felt that indulging her was the right choice. Xiao Xue’s open and animated expressions were compelling and mesmerizing. Her look of unadulterated bliss was so intoxicating Xie Yuan didn’t want to miss even a second of it. 

Xie Yuan couldn’t control himself and pulled Xiao Xue closer. He framed her flushed face in between his hands and lightly traced her lower lip with his thumb. Xie Yuan mentally vowed to give Xiao Xue more surprises in the future to see this happy look again.

Lost in ecstasy, Xie Yuan slowly bent down and was about to give Xiao Xue a kiss when someone suddenly called out, “Second Brother!” behind them.

2