Thirty-One: Multiple Plots
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the worn gates of Infernal Rise Valley stood two handsome men. One cut a domineering figure, his height alone was enough to intimidate anyone. His aura was muted due to the restriction within the lower realm but no one could ignore the distinct fluctuations of strength trying to leak out from the force of the restraints. The younger man looked like he was carved from jade. His divine face was so handsome it could make the saints weep. But although he looked like a careless and unfettered man, the astute look in his eyes was hard to miss and could not fool anyone.

“Elder brother, do you think she’s really here?” The younger man asked, his heart was full of hope and fear. 

Hope of finding the person they’ve been looking for and longing for all these years and fear of disappointment of encountering another dead end. 

It has been ten years, the search was exhausting both physically and mentally taxing. Just thinking that it would soon be over makes him want to scream from elation. The younger man still could not believe it!

“Gao Dai Jiang was a crafty old bastard. If not for his cunning disruptions we would have found traces of her sooner.” The older man replied, his shrewd eyes trained on the temple sitting proudly atop the hill that was visible from the gates. “That person came to us on his own accord and we did nothing to coerce him. I believe he has no reason to lie. After all these years, who would have thought they’d throw her here!” 

Sparks of anger flashed on the man’s eyes at the thought. He was not biased towards the lower realm but he knew the situation towards the three regions clear enough. And to think she survived living in this hellhole, alone, he was both incensed and gratified.

For years they’ve combed through the entirety of the middle realm only to find out that they were looking at the wrong place. Ten long, miserable years spent in worry and despair. If the heavens really have mercy and compassion, the gods would end the suffering of their family and allow them to finally find her.

The younger man’s feelings were stirred up as well. He, more than anyone in the family, wants to find the person most. Without her his life felt like it was half-lived, like he was missing a part of himself. Without her, he would not be whole…

“Elder brother, do you think she would remember us?” The younger man questioned, his tone betrayed his youth and unadulterated longing. “Do you think she would recognize and remember me?” The latter statement was spoken softly, timidly, like the answer to the question would define his future fate.

The older man looked at his younger brother and smirked knowingly. “Perhaps not you,” he teased unsympathetically. There were times when even he, as a big brother, marvels at the extreme contradiction of his younger brother’s personality. “But she would certainly recognize me. After all, I doted on her the most!”

The younger man snorted in disgust and proceeded to walk forward as though he could not wait a moment longer. And as they walked through the busy streets of Infernal Rise Valley, both men kept their own counsel. Each had their own thoughts and worries. Both were wound up and a tad overwhelmed, at the same time expectant and excited. Finally, after so many years, their search is almost at its end.

At the same time, in another part of the Black Highlands, another group arrived. Their sinister energy was dark and foul, death lurked everywhere they passed. The head of the group looked like an ordinary, unassuming man. If he stood in a crowded room or a busy street no one would pay attention to him and nobody would think there was something odd about him. The man has a face that could easily be forgotten, a flowing aura that could easily be concealed and blended within a crowd. In short, he possesses the perfect bearing of a high-level assassin.

The people walking on either side of the man were twins, a man and woman. Although their genders were different their bearing was, curiously, identical. There was no minute different between the two, even the way they moved and mannerisms were the same. If they did not speak no one would know the difference. The twins maintained a three steps distance from the man and the three formed a perfect triangle as they walked. No matter how fast or slow the man moved the formation was not broken.

The two groups were taking two different routes but were heading in the same direction. Unbeknownst to them, the one they’re looking for is no longer there.

 

* * *

 

When Ning Jing found out what happened after Xie Yuan struck her, she was livid! If not for Lin Ru’s timely intervention Ning Jing would have set out, despite her injuries, to find Xie Yuan and fight Xiao Xue.

“Apprentice sister, calm your anger.” Lin Ru persuaded gently but inside he was burning with hatred. If Ning Jing was not useful to him, Lin Ru would let her burn and perhaps even push her to death with his own hands. But the time is not right for Ning Jing to die. She still has some use for Lin Ru. With Xie Yuan’s sudden move and Xiao Xue’s unprecedented appearance, his plans would have to change.

“Calm?!” Ning Jing screeched, furiously smashing a teapot on the floor. “How can I calm down? Second Brother has lost his mind! That crippled bitch must have done something to confuse him!”

Lin Ru breathed in deeply, trying to compose himself. It was a blessing that he learned to school his emotions otherwise he would have lost his temper by now. Ning Jing’s personality was the type Lin Ru hated most and her current behavior was one of the reasons he hated women. Full of worthless emotions to the point of absurdity, have no proper bearing, no common sense and most of all, cannot see the big picture. This sort of person usually dies early and never accomplishes anything in life because they are too stupid. In the end, they will never know how they died and why.

After careful observation Lin Ru realized that Xie Yuan treated the crippled Priestess like she was a treasure in his palms. How could someone who behaves like that be confused? The young master did not hesitate to injure Ning Jing so Xie Yuan was not worried about offending Ning Jing’s Master. In Xie Yuan’s eyes, that crippled Priestess meant more to him than the whole Divine Martial Sect combined to the extent that he was willing to make a show of it in front of other people. Xie Yuan boldly exerted his authority and was telling anyone who cared to know that the woman was his and whoever dares to provoke her, provokes him as well. That is surely not an act of a man who was confused!

But Lin Ru was not going to kind-heartedly inform Ning Jing about the fact. Although Ning Jing cannot be used as a pawn for the long haul it does not mean she has no purpose. Ning Jing might be an insane dog at the moment and would be troublesome to use but even insane dogs know how to bite maul people to death. Who knows, perhaps Ning Jing’s rabid behavior would create enough of a stir for Ling Ru to take advantage of.

“You’re right,” Lin Ru said, looking straight into Ning Jing’s manic eyes. “Perhaps young master was bewitched by that cunning woman. How else could we explain his unexplainable attachment to her? It does not make sense!”

In truth, Lin Ru really does not understand Xie Yuan’s actions. He had time to observe the woman and there was nothing exceptional about her. Aside from her ruined looks and sensational background, as the High Priestess of Spirit Temple, there was nothing of note to take notice of. 

If Lin Ru was in Xie Yuan’s position he would have chosen someone from a higher class, someone who could help him achieve his goals. Someone who, with one look, will be adored, praised and envied by those around them. Perhaps one of the famed elders of the temple would do but certainly not the crippled Priestess.

Lin Ru was, in a way, disappointed in Xie Yuan. He did not think that someone with unfathomable strength and schemes like Xie Yuan would be caught in the claws of shallow and worldly emotions such as love. Just the mere thought of it made Lin Ru feel disgusted! Xie Yuan blindingly threw away everything he worked hard for and for what? Nothing but a crippled woman!

“That slut must have drugged Second Brother or used some other nefarious method to make him submit to her.” Ning Jing said worriedly as she paced back and forth around the room like a caged animal. “We have to save him before he ruins his life!” She will not allow anyone to have Second Brother, especially not that ugly bitch! They have to think of a way to remedy the situation before it worsens.

Lin Ru watched Ning Jing with pitiless eyes. “We cannot intervene. What if young master really has feelings for the Priestess?” He said as if he was worried about Xie Yuan’s feelings but his true aim was to fan the flames.

“NO! It cannot be true! Impossible!” Ning Jing grew more agitated and did not notice the flash of cunning in Lin Ru’s eyes. She was so wound up she was blind to everything else. “You have to help me, Third Brother. If you do this favor for me I will plead with my master to support you instead of Wei Qian.”

After hearing what Ning Jing promised, Lin Ru’s heart skipped a beat. Ning Jing’s master was well connected and had a certain amount of influence within the sect. If he manages to gain his support Lin Ru would gain a lot of headway against Wei Qian.

Even if Lin Ru was thoroughly aroused by the thought, nothing was shown on his face nor his actions. Lin Ru remained placid and said, “It is not impossible to help apprentice sister this time.” He paused for a breath to make sure he got her full attention. “But apprentice sister, you have to think carefully. If found out by certain people the consequences of what I am about to tell you would be severe!”

Ning Jing did not even think as she exclaimed, “I am willing to do anything!” She cannot bear the thought of Xie Yuan and that slut together. The injuries Ning Jing suffered were still fresh and throbbing but her heart was terribly unreconciled. Second Brother was ruthless to her but Ning Jing believes his befuddled state was temporary. Surely it was because of that cunning woman! Once Second Brother is made to see the error of his ways and is back to his old self everything will be alright. When this nightmare was over, Ning Jing was resolved to use every opportunity to have Xie Yuan as her dao companion. Now that she knows Second Brother’s heart could be moved, she was willing to do anything even take the life of another!

Lin Ru’s gaze on Ning Jing became sharper and more ruthless. The oblivious Ning Jing had no clue and did not stand a chance against the schemer. At that moment, Ning Jing’s fate was considered sealed. Lin Ru silently doubled the strength of the barrier placed around the room before motioning for Ning Jing to move closer in order to hear his well-crafted plan.

1