Thirty-Seven: The Shui Young Masters
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Red lanterns and banners painted with auspicious characters were hung around the manor. The sound of firecrackers and the rhythmic beat of the drums accompanied by the raucous cheers of the small crowd made the atmosphere within the grand hall more joyous and lively. 

Through the gathered crowd Xie Yuan excitedly led the veiled Xiao Xue towards the place where they would pay their respects and perform the rites for their union.

Xie Yuan’s uncle, the Sect Master of Divine Martial Sect, presided over the ceremony. He solemnly led the couple to pay their respects to the heavens and the ancestors. But when Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue were about to bow towards each other and cement their union as husband and wife, a commotion broke out from the entrance of the grand hall.

Xie Yuan immediately placed Xiao Xue behind him and protected her with his body. He Heng and He Ling moved to cover the couple’s sides while Zhang Lao and Yan Hao guarded the front. 

Although Xie Shan and Xie Feng did not move from their seats, they too were on guard and ready to act. The hidden guards brought by the two sisters quietly appeared and surrounded the grand hall.

“May I ask who our esteemed guests are? Is there a special reason for you gentlemen to come and disrupt our young lord’s happy occasion?” Zhang Lao asked when two men appeared, uninvited, within the grand hall.

With their muted aura, it was obvious that the men were from the Upper Realms and were under the restriction of the Lower Regions, like Zhang Lao and the others. But though their strengths were suppressed, the two men gave off a dominating and dangerous feeling. The two were like wild beasts that would pounce at the slightest provocation or hint of blood.

Without a word, the taller man confidently strode forward and scanned the gathered crowd. The younger man did not move from his spot but he, too, anxiously looked around. It seems like they were looking for someone and that someone was within the grand hall.

After seeing the unsmiling visage of the taller man, Xie Feng stood up and came forward. “Young Master Shui, it’s been a while.” She casually greeted.

Shui Gui was surprised that someone addressed him, personally. But after recognizing Xie Feng, Shui Gui slightly tilted his head and greeted back, “Lady Xie Feng.” 

The two have met before and even though their association could not be called intimate, it was cordial. Both were aware of the other’s circumstances and status and maintained a respectful distance from each other.

Xie Shan, who also recognized the two men, stood up and addressed the younger man. “Shui Ren, you stinky brat! What are you doing here?” 

Shui Ren is one of the few people who could be considered on par with Xie Shan in terms of skill and strength. It’s an accomplishment considering how young Shui Ren is. And because of this, Xie Shan had a good impression of this second young master from the Shui Clan and remembered his name.

If it was another time, under a different situation, Shui Ren would have teased Xie Shan like he always did every time the woman scowled and snarled at him. But today, the younger man did not bother to answer Xie Shan’s provocation and continued to restlessly scan the crowd.

Noticing the men’s behavior, Xie Feng graciously inquired. “Is Young Master Shui here to look for someone? This is my brother’s manor, if you tell us who you’re looking for perhaps we could provide some assistance.”

Shui Gui hesitated but after a brief thought replied bluntly, “We are looking for Spirit Temple’s High Priestess.” 

The brothers barged in the manor and interrupted the proceedings in the grand hall without a plan. When they heard the person they were looking for was here, they allowed their emotions to take over and did not care if they offended anyone. 

They’ve been looking for her for many years and this is the only solid information they managed to acquire. Shui Gui and Shui Ren would not easily let go of the possibility of finding her regardless of the consequences.

Everyone within the grand hall stiffened. The High Priestess of Spirit Temple was indeed within the grand hall. But no one stepped forward to inform the brothers that the High Priestess was currently marrying the Young Master of Divine Martial Sect, a ceremony that they just interrupted.

Xie Yuan eyed the men  coldly. He never had dealings within the Middle Realm so he doesn’t recognize the two of them. But their vigorous aura was enough to keep him wary. 

Xiao Xue lightly scratched his palm to silently ask whether or not she should reveal herself. Xie Yuan furtively shook his head, directly rejecting the idea. 

If these people are here with good intentions there was no harm in disclosing Xiao Xue’s identity. But if they are here for another, more nefarious purpose, it’s not wise for Xiao Xue to make herself known to them. 

Xie Yuan was not willing to take the risk of exposing Xiao Xue to anything that could potentially harm her. Unless the men’s purpose for coming and looking for Xiao Xue is cleared, Xie Yuan would not let them near her.

“Why are the esteemed young masters of the Shui Clan looking for the High Priestess?” Xie Feng carefully asked.

With the subtle probing, Shui Gui realised that Xie Feng knew where the High Priestess was but was purposely prying him for information to gauge his intentions. He doesn’t understand why the lady of the Xie Clan would do so but it seems they are trying to protect the identity of the High Priestess. 

Shui Gui’s steely gaze settled upon Xie Feng and answered, “If Lady Xie Feng knows where to find the High Priestess, please inform us. This is a matter involving the life of a Shui Clan member!” Divulging more information would be detrimental to the person's safety but saying this much is enough to alert Xie Feng to their purpose.

As expected, Xie Feng’s heart skipped a beat after hearing Shui Gui’s statement. 

The Shui Clan is the overseer of Dongjing City from the Middle Realm. The men who fearlessly barged in the grand hall are the first and second young masters of the clan.

It’s not a secret within the Middle Realm that the Shui Clan lost one of its descendants, a daughter, due a plot that aimed to overthrow their control of Dongjing City. 

Although there’s been no concrete evidence regarding the child’s whereabouts through the years, the clan has never ceased their efforts and has been tirelessly searching for her. 

For years, the Shui Clan have used a lot of resources to scour  the expanse of the Middle Realm and have not given up hope in finding the lost child.

The appearance of Shui Gui and Shui Ren in the Lower Regions could be due to finding a trace of their lost sibling. If the brothers specifically asked for the High Priestess of Spirit Temple, then it is possible that Xiao Xue is the missing Shui Clan descendant. It’s no wonder the brothers did not exercise restraint as they stormed to the grand hall when they heard that she was here. 

Xie Feng could understand the gravity of the situation. But Xie Yuan does not. For him, anything and anyone unknown is a potential threat to his wife. Xie Feng mentally sighed, concerned that her errant brother would do something that would offend his in-laws.

With the ceremony in progress, it is unwise to divulge information about Xiao Xue to the two brothers. If Xiao Xue really is the lost Shui Clan child, then pushing her out in the open would also alert their family’s enemies and rivals that could be mixed with the gathered crowd. The brothers seem like they would forget all sense and decorum once they clap their eyes on her. 

Xie Feng was certain that Shui Gui and Shui Ren would not mind her decision. The Shui Clan Young Masters are known to have good heads on their shoulders. Though Shui Gui and Shui Ren are impertinent troublemakers, most times, they are also known to be discreet and thorough with their dealings with others. The two are highly intelligent and would be able to understand the bigger picture.

But Xie Feng is in a conundrum. How could she tell Shui Gui and Shui Ren about Xiao Xue without agitating them and at the same time not piss off her young brother? Xie Yuan is surely wary of the two men and sees them as potential threats to Xiao Xue. Forget about allowing them to see her, he might purposely hide the fact that she’s within the manor!

Zhang Lao who’s been observing the interaction on the side stepped forward and respectfully motioned to the brothers. 

“If Young Master Shui could wait until the ceremony is over, we can surely provide aid.” He said. 

Zhang Lao knew of the Shui Clan’s matter and like Xie Feng, he believes the brothers are indeed connected to the young mistress. 

But Zhang Lao is Xie Yuan’s caretaker, his main objective is to ensure his young lord’s wellbeing. And regardless of what will happen in the future, Xiao Xue had to be married in the family today because Xie Yuan wishes for her to be so. 

After this incident, there is a possibility that the two young masters of the Shui Clan would be offended and would seek him for justice. But as Xie Yuan’s subordinate, Zhang Lao would do anything to make his young lord’s wishes a reality. The ceremony has to proceed as planned. 

“Young Master Shui and Second Young Master Shui have traveled far and already waited for a long time. This old man believes that waiting a bit longer will not make much of a difference.” Zhang Lao purposely displayed an obliging attitude, silently willing the two to acquiesce to the request.

Shui Ren wanted to argue. Finding their sister was long overdue and personally, waiting more would be tantamount to maiming him. But Shui Gui, who finally realized the situation they were in, stopped him. 

The brothers have been impertinent in barging in the manor, uninvited. Without thought nor care, they interrupted an important ceremony and did not offer any justifiable explanation. 

The opposing side has been quite lenient with them and has been very accommodating, so far. If they continue to push their luck, they might end up in a bad situation and would get nothing for their troubles. 

Besides, if these people are willing to provide information about the High Priestess’ whereabouts then what the old man said is true. They’ve already waited for a long time, waiting a bit more will not make much of a difference.

2