Thirty-Eight: Dragon and Phoenix Twins
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shui Gui and Shui Ren were not interested in the witnessing ceremony. This aligned with the other party’s thoughts and without delay, the men were escorted out of the grand hall. 

If the brothers knew that the person performing the ceremony is, in fact, the one they were looking for, who knows what they would have done. But Zhang Lao and the others were quick to act. They wouldn’t risk the truth to be revealed before everything is done. This is their young lord’s most momentous occasion, nothing and no one was allowed to disrupt it.

The  ceremony proceeded, at a much faster pace, without a hitch after the Shui brothers’ departure from the grand hall. The guests were bewildered but did not question the hasty proceedings. From what transpired between the two parties, it seems that something important is afoot. But none were brave enough to inquire. They gathered for the ceremony, to offer felicitations and imbibe in high quality food and excellent wine. What happens in between those moments had no relation to them. And Sticking their noses on these people’s business would not only be troublesome but dangerous.

Once the ceremony was over, Xie Yuan led Xiao Xue to the bridal chamber. Xie Feng followed and carefully explained the situation to the two; detailing the special circumstances of the Shui Clan and Xiao Xue's supposed connection to the family.

At first, Xiao Xue felt it would not be wise to meet the two men. The soul that previously occupied the body had no recollection of the past. Setting aside the uncertainty of the body’s relation to the two men, Xiao Xue is a foreign soul that has absolutely no connection to them. Appearing before them would be tantamount to lying. 

But after hearing the passionate and heart wrenching story of the family’s struggle and tireless effort to find the missing child, Xiao Xue gave in. She thought that, perhaps, allowing them to meet her would provide some semblance of peace. Xiao Xue hoped that by appearing before the brothers she would ease their longing and believed that it was the right thing to do. Regardless of whether she is related to them or not, helping them find closure is the kind thing to do considering the situation.

In truth, Xie Yuan had thoughts of investigating Xiao Xue’s unknown past with hopes of helping her regain her lost memories and perhaps find familial connections. But due to the series of events that happened to them, he had not been able to do so. Now that people appeared, without warning, with possible connection to Xiao Xue, Xie Yuan, of course, has some reservations about the meeting.

But in the end, this is not about him. Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue are married and have pledged to spend a lifetime together. But Xiao Xue is still her own person. She has her own thoughts and considerations, her own life to live. The most Xie Yuan could do is to protect her and be there when she needed him. For him, regardless of what Xiao Xue decides to do, he would wholeheartedly support her.

Since the decision was made there was no point in delaying the matter. After changing out of their wedding clothes, Xie Yuan and Xiao Xue went to where Shui Gui and Shui Ren were waiting. 

As they approached, the brothers’ fervent gazes never left Xiao Xue’s moving form. The pain and expectation were obvious in their travel-worn faces. And from the way the brothers were behaving, there was no doubt that they could feel a certain connection towards her.

As if he could no longer wait or deny himself, Shui Ren anxiously moved forward to meet the group from across the courtyard. 

Shui Ren’s unexpected move alerted Xie Yuan. He moved to intercept Shui Ren but was wordlessly blocked by Xie Feng. 

Xiao Xue was surprised by Shui Ren’s enthusiasm but managed to stand her ground. She gave Xie Yuan a reassuring glance before focusing on Shui Ren.

“Lian’er…” Shui Ren called out. His emotional state was obvious, plain for the others to see. “Do you recognize me?”

The group was overwhelmed by Shui Ren’s sudden display of fragility, especially Xie Shan who knew him more than the others. But Shui Gui was unperturbed. He knew his younger brother had always been waiting for this moment. Of all the members of their family, Shui Ren is the one who desired to find their sister most!

Xiao Xue quietly stared at the striking young man but could feel no stirring within her blank memories. Like always, even if she tried to reach and search through the recesses of her mind, she found nothing; no recollection nor recognition.

After observing Xiao Xue’s unaffected and blank look, Shui Ren’s expression sank a little. 

When their little sister was taken from their home the family knew, without protection and guidance, she would suffer untold hardships. They were prepared to deal with whatever situation they found her in as long as they could bring her home. But preparing for the inevitability and actually experiencing it, are two different things.

When Shui Gui and Shui Ren set out for the Lower Regions, like always, they did not have much hope. They’ve been disappointed many times, it became a pattern. But after visiting Spirit Temple and gathering information in Infernal Rise Valley, they knew they finally found a concrete trail and their long search was almost over. 

The brothers managed to dig out the circumstances of Xiao Xue’s arrival at the temple. How she became the previous High Priestess’ apprentice and the situation as to how she lived and was treated. 

Though the events of the past caused them to hold a grudge against the temple, the brothers thought it was beneath them to move against the elders and disciples especially after it became known that Xiao Xue resolved the problem before she departed from Infernal Rise Valley.

The brothers also heard various recounts of the recent beast tide that left them with complicated feelings. Of course, they were proud of what their sister managed to accomplish without the protection and aid of the family. But at the same time, they were terrified that they almost lost her, for good. 

As the brothers followed Xiao Xue’s trail from the Black Highlands to the territory of Divine Martial Sect, they collected more information that cemented their belief that Xiao Xue is, in fact, their long lost sister. This trail of information allowed them to get to know her a little better.

Shui Gui and Shui Ren could not help but curse their family’s ill-fate. The little sister, who was supposed to live like a princess, a precious pearl protected by their clan, lived a very hard and trying life. But blessedly, they were given another chance to make up for the years that were stolen from them.

Shui Ren’s gloomy mood lasted for only a breath. He carried on as if nothing was amiss and was not deterred by Xiao Xue’s lack of recognition. This small issue would not stop him from getting close to his sister.

It hurt knowing that Xiao Xue did not associate them with family or someone she could rely on and trust. But from the information of the person, who divulged her whereabouts in the Lower Regions, the family knew that following Xiao Xue’s abduction, she was fed a rare poison that not only crippled her body but caused her to lose her memories as well. The move was only to verify the information and gauge the extent of the damage.

Seeing her half-ruined face, Shui Ren wanted to reach out and take her in his embrace. He wanted to appease her, tell her that everything would be all right. But he mentally restrained himself. Shui Ren was afraid that Xiao Xue would not welcome such an intimate gesture from an unfamiliar person. 

Still, the need to be near Xiao Xue was too strong for Shui Ren to bear. He moved a step closer when he noticed she did not shy away from him.

“Lian’er suffered so much. Could you forgive brother for being incompetent?” Shui Ren babbled as his heart painfully constricted, trying hard to engage Xiao Xue in conversation. “We never stopped looking for Lian’er. All these years, we missed you very much!” 

Shui Ren was afraid that Xiao Xue would think they forgot about her. He doesn’t want her to think, even for a moment, that they did not do anything to retrieve her. What he feared, most of all, was for Xiao Xue to believe that she was unloved and unwanted.

Xiao Xue could not help but be affected by Shui Ren’s impassioned attitude. Even if they were not really related, it’s not bad to be connected to such a straightforward and earnest person. But before anything else, there’s something that needs to be addressed and clarified.

“You call me Lian…” Xiao Xue started, unsure of how to proceed. “Is that my real name?”

Shui Ren, who was ecstatic that Xiao Xue responded to him, nodded excitedly and hurriedly explained. “That year, grandfather was delighted to have a pair of dragon and phoenix twins in the clan. Everyone believed it was an auspicious sign for the clan and Grandfather personally gave you the name Shui Lian while I was called Shui Ren!”

“Twins?” Xiao Xue was suddenly overburdened. This development was unexpected. It turns out the original soul and Shui Ren were more than just siblings. They shared a special bond that regular siblings do not have. Xiao Xue stared at Shui Ren’s strikingly handsome face and felt a bit conflicted. 

Seeing her complicated expression and as if reading Xiao Xue’s thoughts, Shui Ren immediately pacified. 

“Lian’er, having no recollection of the past is not a problem. Of course, the clan would do everything to help Lian’er retrieve your old memories. But even if we cannot, we could always create new memories.  Now that Lian’er is found, we have time.” He tentatively reached out to hold Xiao Xue’s hand and inwardly rejoiced when she did not evade or shake him off. Then he continued, “About the poison in your body, there is no need to fear. Not to boast or anything but our family is well connected. We can have well known physicians take a look  or ask alchemists to concoct an antidote for you!”

Although she looked calm on the outside, inside Xiao Xue was troubled. What she was actually worried about was the spiritual connection between twins that the original  soul shared with Shui Ren rather than the disparity of their appearance and her lost memories. But seeing and feeling Shui Ren’s sincere attitude in placating her, Xiao Xue silently nodded and gave her assent.

“Once we are back home, to Dongjing City, and you’re around our family, everything will be alright!” Shui Ren happily declared, failing to notice Xie Yuan’s murderous expression.

2