Chapter 3: Meeting Ye-Jun
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sit here, looking out the window at the heavy rain falling. "Okay, I'll choose partners for everyone, so be ready," the professor says. I groan inwardly. That means I'll have to interact with others in this class. I was hoping for some alone time to work on my own. I enrolled in this class with the expectation of doing some individual assignments, but it seems like that won't be the case.

Suddenly I hear my name being called out, "Ernest? Ernest?"

I shot my hand up, not wanting the professor to know I wasn't paying attention.

"Ah, there you are. You'll be pairing up with Ye-ye, uh—"

A deep, husky voice interrupted, "Ye-jun."

"My apologies," The professor said, shamefully.

My eyes dart to where the deep voice is coming from. There, I see a rather intimidating-looking Asian guy who slowly looks over my way. I immediately look back down at my papers, not wanting to appear as though I'm staring at him.

So he's supposed to be my partner for this entire semester?

After the professor finishes her lecture, she decides to let us sit next to our partners. Before I can get up and move over, I notice Ye-jun is already heading my way. I frantically start moving all my stuff, so I don't seem rude to have it all over the desks.

As Ye-jun approaches, I try to compose myself and put on a friendly face. He politely introduces himself and sits down next to me. I introduce myself back and we start discussing the project we'll be working on.

"So, it looks like I'll help you with the stage design for a music performance, is that right?" I say with a shy smile on my face, my heart racing as I look into Ye-jun's eyes.

"Yes, that's correct," he replies, his voice low and husky, his gaze locked onto mine. "I'm really excited to work with you on this project."

"Oh?" I respond, surprised and flattered by his compliment.

"I've seen some of your work before and I think you're really talented," he says, his eyes sparkling with admiration.

This takes me by surprise because I didn't take him as the sort of person who would be into art, let alone even know who I am.

"Where have you seen my work before? If you don't mind me asking..."

He smiles and replies, "I saw your artwork at the student art exhibition last semester. I was really impressed by your work, and I've been wanting to work with you ever since."

I feel my cheeks getting hot, I don't think it's out of embarrassment, but I feel something else. My heart is pounding. The way he looks at me and talks about my work makes me feel special and appreciated.

While Ye-jun is talking about my art work, I can't help but notice his striking features. His hair is a chestnut brown color, styled in a short messy cut. He has sharp, chiseled features and a strong jawline, with striking almond-shaped eyes that are dark brown. His skin is smooth and has a nice complexion. I notice that when he isn't talking, he has a very stoic and mysterious expression, but as soon as he begins speaking, his facial features ease up and he appears not as standoffish.

I'm not sure how long we were talking for, but suddenly I noticed the lecture hall was empty. As Ye-jun was still talking, I grab my phone and check the time. "Oh, I need to get going!" I say. Ye-jun apologizes for keeping me, but I assure him it's no problem. I start packing up my belongings and Ye-jun asks for my contact information so we can plan the project. I feel a bit nervous giving him my phone number, but I try not to overthink it and give it to him anyway. He gives me his number in return. "Okay, well, I have to get going, so we'll meet up soon," I say, feeling a little flustered.

At this moment, I am hastily leaving the lecture hall. I feel guilty for abruptly leaving Ye-jun, but I am eager to check out an art exhibit that has just opened. I consider inviting Ye-jun to join me, but as it is our first meeting, I think it might seem strange. I manage to catch the E line in time, as the exhibit is only open during the week and closes at 4 PM, giving me enough time to view some of the displayed artwork. I am filled with excitement to see the pieces that have been curated for this exhibit. Since I could remember, I've always really been into painting and it has been a while since I last attended an exhibit. The sound of the train rattles and the bustling of the city fade away as I mentally prepare to immerse myself in the world of color, form, and creativity.

As I hurry down the street, I can see the museum in the distance. The sun is hiding behind the buildings and the cool air brushes my face. I quicken my pace, eager to arrive before the exhibit closes. Art is my passion, and I find joy in immersing myself in its world. Some might view it as a solitary interest, but I am content with it. Loving something deeply and focusing on it can bring fulfillment and satisfaction. Although I may not have many friends, I am okay with that and feel content with my passion for art.

Finally, I reach the museum's entrance and take a deep breath. I pull out my ticket and walk inside, ready to be transported to another world. As I wander through the galleries, I feel as though I am being surrounded by beauty, creativity, and inspiration. For a moment, the world around me fades away and I am completely absorbed in the art in front of me. This is my happy place, where I can escape and find joy in the things I love.

1