Chapter 4: The Trust of a Partner
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up to the sound of my alarm, feeling content due to my visit to the art exhibit yesterday. I stretch and sit up in bed, replaying the vivid memories of the beautiful artwork in my mind. The colors, shapes, and emotions captured in each piece have left a lasting impact on me, inspiring thoughts about my stage design project. I realize I should text Ye-jun to set up a meeting time.

I reach for my phone and search for his contact. With a limited number of contacts, it doesn't take long to find his name. As I hover my thumb over the phone screen, I feel nervous. I'm unsure why I am experiencing this anxiety, as I have texted people before. Perhaps it's because I have never collaborated with someone one-on-one, only in group settings.

I began texting Ye-jun:

"Hey Ye-jun! It's me Erne—"

"Ye-jun! Hi it—"

"It's me Erne—"

I pause, feeling flustered. Why am I having trouble with this? I take a deep breath and remind myself, "Relax, Ernest. Just send the text.

"Hi Ye-Jun, please let me know your schedule so we can plan the stage design. Thanks, Ernest."

Okay, that's good enough. I need to send this message or I'll be late for class. I hit the send button and put my phone down, getting ready to head out the door.

I head to campus, leaving my apartment shared with a few classmates. As I walk to class, I reflect on my college experience so far, in my third year. I've had many opportunities to showcase my artwork, which some professors describe as emotionalism. I never thought to categorize my art before, but now I'm learning and growing.

Lost in thought, I hear my name being called. I scan the crowd but don't see anyone I know. Then, I spot a hand waving above the heads. It's Ye-jun! I wave back, trying to remain inconspicuous. Ye-jun rushes over to me, and I feel awkward as I stand still.

"Hey! I'm glad I saw you!" Ye-jun greets me with enthusiasm, he seems like he's always in a good mood.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I mean you didn't text me back."

"Oh, uh, right! I-I'm sorry. I don't really check my phone once I'm on campus." I realize how stupid this probably sounds to Ye-jun.

"No problem. So, does Sunday work for you for getting together?"

"Yes, that works for me. Do you have any ideas for the stage design?"

"You're the creative one, so I'll leave it up to you. I'll take care of typing up the paper." I can't help but smile, feeling both surprised and pleased that he's entrusting me with the drawings. "Oh, uh, are you sure?" I ask, still trying to wrap my head around the idea.

"Of course, man!" Ye-jun responds, cool and confident.

"Well, anyways I better get going to class. If I don't see you before, I'll see you on Sunday."

"Oh, right! I'll see you Sunday, Ye-jun!"

"Sounds good, see you then."

After parting ways with Ye-jun, I can't help but feel elated and wear a smile for the rest of the day. As I continue with my school day, I start jotting down ideas and sketching different stage designs that I think Ye-jun might like. Ye-jun must be used to people admiring him, as he holds himself with such cool confidence. While I know I could never match that level of poise, just from my two interactions with him, I feel more self-assured and confident. While I still feel a bit nervous, I appreciate that he is giving me complete control over the main part of the project. This level of trust only adds to my excitement for what is sure to be a memorable project this semester.

1