Chapter 5: A Late Start
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why are the curtains open? I probably forgot to close them last night while drunk and now, with a pounding headache, I regret it. I need to stop doing this to myself. I've gone out drinking every night this week, but I've lost track of the days.

I refuse to move my body for fear that the nauseating feeling will return and I'll end up running to the bathroom. As I reach for my phone on the nightstand without making any sudden movements, I feel the slight sensation of vomit creeping up my throat. I try to hold it back, but I catch myself getting up, not caring how I feel, and run to the bathroom.

After finishing my dry heaving activities, I finally check my phone. Looking down, I see a text from Ernest, "No rush, I'll be waiting at Think Coffee on Mercer Street." Shit! It's almost 1:30 PM! I was supposed to meet Ernest at 12:30 PM!

As quickly as I can, I jump into the shower and wash myself off, brush my teeth, and put on as comfortable clothes as I can since I still feel like shit. I can't believe I overslept so much! God, I hope he's still there.

I rush out the door, grab my backpack, and walk as fast as I can to the coffee shop. I feel so terrible. He probably thinks I'm an asshole who just thinks they can show up whenever, or worse, that I stood him up.

The walk to the coffee shop is approximately 10 minutes from my apartment, but I manage to arrive in just 6 minutes. Before entering the building, I take a moment to compose myself, not wanting Ernest or anyone else to know that I rushed here. I open the door and scan the room for Ernest, but I don't see him. I start to feel nervous, wondering if he has left. I wouldn't blame him if he has, given that I was the one who was late.

The coffee shop is a bit crowded, but there are still a few open tables available. I make my way to the back of the room, hoping to find Ernest. Just as I begin to feel defeated, I spot someone with a hoodie and a gray backpack at a table. Not wanting to startle the person if it isn't Ernest, I casually walk past the table to get a better look.

"Ernest?" The person under the hoodie shyly looks up, and I breathe a sigh of relief to see that it is indeed Ernest.

"Oh, Ye-jun! Hi!" Ernest's serious expression transforms into a happy one as soon as our eyes meet.

"I'm so sorry!" I say, pulling up a chair and sitting down. I start to explain my lateness to Ernest, "I went out last night and probably had too much to drink. It was a stupid mistake and I shouldn't have done it."

"No, it's okay. You have a life outside of school and I understand. Sorry, I probably should have picked a different day to meet."

"Don't apologize for my mistakes," I reply. "I just have a problem with saying no. I'm really sorry."

"It's really okay, Ye-jun. You don't have to apologize," Ernest says with a compassionate smile. I think to myself, "He's really understanding. Most people would have left or told me off."

Ernest continues, "So, I jotted down a few ideas for the stage design. I hope you don't mind. I wasn't sure what our theme would be, so I came up with a few different options." Ernest reaches over and takes out a tube case, pulling out large canvas papers.

I am so absorbed in Ernest's paintings that I can't help but interrupt him. "How long did this take you?" I ask in amazement, still trying to process the beauty of the images.

"Oh, umm, let me think... I think it was Thursday when you gave me creative control," Ernest says modestly. I, on the other hand, am shocked, "You drew all of these in less than three days?"

Ernest chuckles, "Yeah, I guess so..."

"Ernest," I say, flipping through each painting and staring at them in awe, "You have a talent! Not only did you paint these quickly, but they are also amazing!"

"Do you really think so?" Ernest asks, a hint of excitement in his voice.

"Definitely!" I exclaim, still looking at the paintings in amazement. "We're going to ace this project, and we might even finish it before the deadline." Ernest's enthusiasm is contagious, and I can't help but feel drawn to it. My ears start to feel warm, and I try to hide it by putting my hand over one of them. I shake the strange feeling off, wondering if it's just admiration for Ernest's talent. I push the thoughts away and focus on the task at hand. "So, what do you think the theme should be? We have so many great options to choose from."

"Hmmm," Ernest begins, examining his work again. "It really depends on the type of music that will be played. I listen to music, but I don't have a clear idea of what to choose from. What do you think?”

"Well, since these are only paintings and special effects and animations will be mostly used, we have to pick a theme that resonates with the lyrics and the group. If we're going for an upbeat, pop music vibe, then I would choose brighter colors. However, if we want something darker, it would probably be better suited for an indie or alternative concert." As I explain this, I notice Ernest looking at me with interest. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I was just thinking that you must have a lot of experience with this. I've never been to a concert, so I don't really know what to expect."

I am surprised, "You've never been to a concert?"

"Uh, no. It's kind of embarrassing. I went to my little sister's talent show in 5th grade, but I don't think that counts," Ernest says with a chuckle.

I can't help but laugh, "Jesus, Ernest! You're too funny! Are you serious?"

Ernest awkwardly laughs, "Uh, yeah..."

"Okay, since I know we'll be able to finish this project efficiently, we can't pick a theme until you've attended a concert. That's our task for this week."

"What do you mean?" Ernest asks, sounding puzzled and worried.

"I mean, you and I are going to go to a concert. Either today or this week. It can be any type of music. You need to gain a better understanding of the concert experience before we make any decisions about the stage design."

"Whoa, hold on, what?"

"Ernest, if you've never been to a concert, how are we supposed to choose a theme for the stage design?"

With a hint of nervousness in his voice, Ernest asks, "Can't I just watch concerts online?"

"Yes, you can, but it's not the same experience."

I can tell Ernest isn't fond of this idea, but I believe he needs to step out of his comfort zone. So, I calmly tell him, “I’ll be there with you, and it’ll just be the two of us. I won’t leave you behind or be late.” I give him a reassuring smile, hoping to ease his discomfort.

After a minute or so, Ernest finally speaks up, “Okay, I’ll go.”

“Really?” I try to keep my excitement in check.

“Yes, but with one condition,” Ernest replies.

“And what might that be?” I ask.

“I get to choose the concert,” Ernest says firmly.

0