Chapter 13 – Getting to know the leader of the merchants’ guild
646 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

Bernard and I stayed in line for quite some time. Finally, it was our turn to enter the town. Bernard handed something to the guards, which I assumed were documents or something similar. Meanwhile, another guard approached to inspect what was inside our carriage but quickly returned and signaled to his coworkers.

(I assumed this signal indicated that everything was fine)

As the guards moved away, I closely observed the scene. Soon, our carriage started moving again. Passing through the gate, a feeling of a new world opening up to me took hold. A long street stretched as far as the eye could see, filled with various shops and houses. In the distance, I spotted an impressive castle with a flag fluttering frantically, displaying the drawing of a sun. Anna shared my admiration, and even my parents couldn't hide their surprise at the sight.

"So, is this everything you expected?"

Bernard asked us, observing our awe as we looked around. To be honest, it was even better than I imagined. It felt like I had stepped into an anime, with people everywhere, shopping or strolling with their families. Wide smiles were plastered on their faces, giving me the impression that the king really cares about his people.

"Yes, seeing the happiness on people's faces, I can say this is a good kingdom, and the king truly cares about his people"

With a smile on my face, I shared with Bernard. My father and mother seemed to share the same opinion, while Anna was visibly enchanted, unable to take her eyes off the surrounding scenery.

"I imagined you would say that. Although we're not the most powerful country in terms of military might, the king and queen of the Kingdom of Solaris are extremely careful with their citizens"

Bernard commented.

"I've been to other kingdoms, and I can affirm that these smiles we see here are truly unique"

Bernard concluded in an enthusiastic tone, his face illuminated by the love and appreciation he had for that kingdom.

"Anyway, the merchants' guild is a little further ahead"

Bernard said, pointing to an establishment a bit further down the road. As soon as we arrived, we disembarked from the carriage and approached the door. Bernard opened it, revealing a reception counter. I must say it resembled the counters I knew from my other world to some extent, an attendant and a sofa to wait to be called. As I looked around, I didn't notice that Bernard had passed in front of me and approached the woman behind the counter. Once the woman spotted Bernard, she greeted him in an extremely polite manner.

"Bernard, it's a pleasure to see you again. I believe you came to handle that matter?"

The attendant smiled at Bernard as she greeted him.

"That's right, can you let them know I've arrived?"

Bernard asked while looking at the woman.

"Of course, please wait here for a moment"

As the words left the woman's lips, she moved away from the counter and headed towards the stairs leading to the second floor. As she walked away, Bernard returned to my side and sat down. Now, the seating order was as follows: Bernard next to me, my mother, Anna, and finally, my father.

"Are you an important person?"

As I looked at Bernard, I directed the question to him. Bernard pondered for a moment before answering.

"I wouldn't exactly say that, but it's true that I'm a trader with some recognition. I conduct business in various kingdoms, and I can say that I have a solid reputation"

I confess that caught me by surprise. Who could imagine that the person who visits my small town only once a week would be someone of such influence?

"I understand what you're thinking, but it's not as complicated as it seems. I'm the owner of a company and have branches in various kingdoms. However, since I have a special appreciation for this kingdom, I prefer personally conducting business here"

As Bernard and I talked, the sound of creaking wood caught our attention. Immediately, I realized that someone was coming down the stairs. As I had predicted, the woman who had attended to us moments ago emerged from the stairs, approaching us.

"Please feel free to go upstairs"

The woman said, with a warm smile on her face.

"Alright, thank you, Mirelle, let's go upstairs, Ren"

As Bernard's words echoed, I rose from the couch and turned my gaze to my parents. I hesitated, unsure if I should take them with me. Although it would be appropriate to have them present in normal situations, in this world, it didn't seem strictly necessary to have parents around to conduct business.

"You don't need to worry about us, Ren"

Said my mother reassuringly, sensing my hesitation.

"Even if we were present, we wouldn't be able to help in any way. So please, do your best"

My mother said with a gentle smile on her face. As I looked at her, I noticed that my father had clenched his fist tightly, conveying strength and determination while displaying an encouraging smile. Anna, on the other hand, seemed delighted with everything around her, not fully understanding what was happening. With a smile on my face, I began to walk away when I heard Anna's voice from behind.

"Mom, where is my brother going?"

Anna asked, confused, looking at our mother for answers.

"He's going to do something very important now. So, be a good girl and wait for him here, okay?"

explained our mother tenderly.

"Yes!"

Anna responded excitedly, and then I walked alongside Bernard and Mirelle towards the stairs. As we ascended, we came across a hallway with several doors. We continued forward until we reached the last door in the corridor.

"Miss Aria, I brought them as agreed"

Mirelle spoke these words, and a voice resonated from inside the room, instantly capturing our attention.

"Please, let them come in"

Said the voice from inside. Mirelle opened the door and gave us space to enter. Upon entering, I was instantly impressed to find that the room matched exactly what I had imagined. A large window bathed the room in natural light, highlighting a table with a strategically positioned chair facing the view. Two sofas were arranged at each end of the room, accompanied by coffee tables placed in the center.

"Thank you, Mirelle. Please bring us something to drink"

After hearing the woman's words, Mirelle made a small bow as a sign of respect before turning and beginning her exit from the room.

"Please, have a seat, both of you"

After hearing the woman's words, Bernard and I settled down, waiting for the conversation to begin.

"Thank you for coming here. Since you probably don't know me, allow me to introduce myself"

Said the woman, directing her gaze specifically towards me.

"My name is Aria, and I'm the leader of the Merchants Guild. It's a pleasure to meet you"

After Aria spoke these words, she fixed her gaze on me for a few seconds before continuing.

"As Bernard mentioned about bringing our mysterious friend X, I assume you are the inventor of the manual water pump, am I correct?"

She asked, expressing her suspicion regarding my identity.

"Yes, the pleasure is all mine to meet you, Aria. My name is Ren"

After my words, the woman stared at me for a few seconds, and for some reason, I felt like a test was being conducted in that room. Perhaps it was just my imagination playing tricks on me, but the atmosphere left me intrigued.

"Indeed, it's impressive. Bernard had told me that I would be surprised when I met you, but this far exceeded my expectations. How old are you? 10?"

"I'm 8 years old"

After my words, Aria's eyes widened, and she exchanged a meaningful look with Bernard, as if seeking an explanation. I was intrigued by her reaction and wondered what could be going through her mind.

"Unfortunately, there's not much I can say about it. He's simply an incredible genius, and I've stopped trying to understand him"

Bernard shrugged and made a lighthearted comment, but honestly, I'm curious about the image they have of me.

18