Chapter 187 – New Continent (3)
45 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

The next morning, Albert and I woke up early and had breakfast. Although we were hungry, we took the opportunity to listen to the conversations of the people around us. Although we didn't discover anything too revealing, we managed to pick up some information about the daily routines of people on this continent.

Speaking of which, I found it a bit strange that we were speaking the same language, although, to be honest, I still don't know its name to this day, as I've never been interested. The only difference, if I had to point it out, is that people on this continent have a distinctive accent that sets them apart.

Furthermore, some meanings here are completely different from the meanings on our continent, which makes conversations a bit more challenging to understand. We finished breakfast and left the inn. Next, Albert and I split up to gather as much information as possible.

After parting ways, I explored various places, studying the city we were in. No matter where I looked, this place seemed straight out of ancient China. The more I explored, the more certain I was of it. Additionally, the information I gathered throughout the day was all related to China.

Cultures, foods, dances, music, and entertainment – everything harked back to ancient China. After collecting all this information, I met up with Albert and we shared our findings. Besides reporting what I had learned, I also added knowledge from my past life to better contextualize the information.

"So far, from what we've found, this continent is completely different from ours. Their customs are entirely distinct, but, to be honest, my initial impression of them wasn't very good. However, as I observed the city, I couldn't help but think that most people here have no idea what's happening, they're just living their lives"

Albert's words sounded like he was blaming himself for something, probably, as he said, he likely had the worst kinds of thoughts about the people on this continent initially, but once he saw them in person, he had a reality check or something like that.

"Well, that's how it usually works; common folks almost never know what happens far from their lands, but that's precisely why their leaders must guide them wisely to not expose them to unnecessary risks"

In this regard, although I still didn't know who sent those men to kill me, let alone how he knew about me, I can state that this person is not fit to lead others. Whatever his motivations are, it was extremely reckless of him to act this way.

While Albert and I continued our conversation, the doors of the inn where we were staying were abruptly flung open. A group of three men entered and sat down, immediately ordering drinks. Although we weren't initially very interested in them, the group's conversation naturally caught our attention.

"Hey, have you had time to consider the job I mentioned last night?"

asked one of the men, bringing the drink glass to his mouth.

"Oh, you mean that super sketchy cargo transportation job?"

Hearing those words, the third man, who had been silent until then, spoke.

"That patriarch isn't trustworthy. I need money, but I don't trust him at all"

As soon as these words were spoken, the first man who had spoken let out a rather loud laugh, catching the attention of most people in the inn. However, after a few seconds, people went back to ignoring him.

"I can't deny that, but the choice is yours. In the end, it's money that talks. As long as they pay me well, I'm willing to do anything, except murder, of course"

He said. Listening to his friend's words, both men sighed. Soon, the third man asked subtly.

"But after all, what's inside those shipments?"

Upon hearing these words, the man fell silent for a few seconds. His gaze was pensive, but at the same time, it held a hint of suspicion.

"Apparently, it's weapons and other things. When I heard about it, I really wondered if they are gearing up for some war, considering the absurd quantity. Anyway, if I take the job, I'll just be a transporter. I can't fathom what those crazy patriarchs are planning to use all this for"

Every word the men said was listened to attentively by me and Albert. When we heard the word “weapons” we quickly exchanged glances and nodded to each other. Apparently, a valuable clue had just surfaced right in front of us.

After that, the two of us continued listening to the men's conversation. Every piece of information they provided us with made us more certain that something related to our continent was happening in that place.

This was further confirmed when we found out that the territory was a coastal region. However, some doubts still lingered in the air. Could it really be possible that just one patriarch could start a war with another continent? Both Albert and I thought that was practically impossible, no matter how greedy this patriarch might be.

Even he must know that if he dies, he gains nothing. That's why we both believe that other patriarchs are also collaborating with this specific patriarch that was mentioned, although we still don't know his name.

Anyway, we managed to gather quite a bit of information in just one day. Although the last bits were mere coincidences, it doesn't change the fact that we were getting closer to our goal. Afterward, we ended the day by strolling through the city. Albert parted ways with me, saying he had found a way to earn more money, to which I just nodded in agreement.

Meanwhile, I simply walked through the city looking for something akin to a gift I could bring back for everyone. Honestly, I didn't find anything interesting, so I decided I would buy something when I reached the imperial city, which apparently is where the leading patriarch resides.

In the end, that will also be our destination, as after we have an audience with him, Albert and I will return home. With these thoughts in mind, I walked peacefully through the bustling city streets.

My discord server for conversations, there you'll also find photos of the protagonists of my works, as well as possible spoilers for my future stories, plus I'm always alerting you when a new free chapter is posted.

3