Chapter 190 – Meeting with the leading Patriarch (1)
38 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like my work and want to support me, consider checking out my Patreon. Besides several chapters ahead of the public, you will also be helping me get closer to my dream of being a full-time writer.

After the conclusion of all the presentations, the crowd dispersed slowly, each person returning to their homes. The results of the presentations, as well as the winner of the tournament, would be announced the next day. It seemed that the leading patriarch had enjoyed many of the poems presented, now becoming indecisive about which one to choose.

I sincerely hoped that my poem was among those that left the leading patriarch undecided. Either way, Albert and I returned to the inn where we spent the rest of the day. In case we didn't win, we had a Plan B, but we sincerely hoped we wouldn't need to use it in the end.

With these thoughts in mind, we spent the night peacefully. The next morning, as we woke up, we went down to the inn's second floor, planning to have breakfast. We soon noticed that the place was significantly busier than usual, which was understandable since, besides being an inn, the place also served as a restaurant.

After enjoying our meal, Albert and I left the inn and headed to the place where the tournament winners would be announced. As we walked towards the location, we noticed the number of people gathering increasing, indicating that we were getting closer.

We arrived again at the spot where we gathered with the rest of the crowd and began to wait for the results. While we waited, Albert and I took the opportunity to grab a bite and something to drink. After a few minutes of waiting, the same man who had been in front of the podium during the tournament returned and began to announce the results.

“I want to express my gratitude to everyone present for being here. Before we announce the results, I want to emphasize that each poem was read carefully, and all of them are truly impressive”

The man said, receiving a paper from one of his subordinates and letting out a small sigh before continuing.

“We decided that we would have three winners in total. Everyone from the first to the third place will receive a cash reward, but only the first-place winner will have the opportunity to meet the leading patriarch in person”

After these words, a round of applause echoed through the crowd, and I expected nothing less. This method was indeed much more efficient, allowing more people to be rewarded. While I reflected on this, the applause gradually faded, making room for the man to continue.

“Now, I will announce the three winners of the poetry tournament”

As the man paused briefly to scan the names, Albert and I remained silent, eager for the results. I sincerely hoped that one of us would clinch the first place.

“In third place, Li Wei”

With these words, the applause erupted once more as Albert shot me a subtle glance, clearly indicating.

“Now it's your turn”

He then walked toward the podium to receive the cash reward. Afterward, Albert went to the presenter's side and patiently waited for the next winners. It didn't take long for the man to once again glance at the paper and then raise his head, facing the crowd.

"Second place goes to Xiu"

As soon as this name was announced, a beautiful young woman of about twenty walked forward and climbed onto the podium. She looked like a scholar, her hair tied in a ponytail and wearing glasses. After receiving the prize, she stood next to Albert, greeting him with a warm smile.

Then, finally came the moment to announce the first place. The presenter looked at the paper, then raised his gaze toward the audience and announced.

"In first place, therefore the winner of the poetry tournament, Zhang Jie"

After my name was announced, I let out an audible sigh of relief. Honestly, the cash prize didn't interest me as much; my true motivation was the opportunity to speak with the leading patriarch.

Keeping that in mind, I made my way to the podium, where the presenter awaited me with a small bag of money in hand. As I reached him, I received congratulations and then positioned myself next to Albert and the girl, who also greeted me warmly with a smile.

Standing beside the two, I patiently waited until the end of the tournament. Before that, the presenter reread my poem for everyone. Strangely, I felt a bit embarrassed as I listened. Somehow, it felt odd yet gratifying at the same time.

It didn't take long until he finished reading my poem. Soon after, he dismissed Albert and the girl, asking me to follow him. I just nodded and began to follow him. Passing by Albert, we exchanged a mutual nod.

Shortly after, we were walking through the corridors of the imperial palace. The decoration, no matter where I looked, entirely evoked ancient China. Along the way, I passed by some paintings that the presenter explained to me were representations of past generations of the leading patriarchs.

Although this information wasn't immediately useful, I decided to store it in my mind nonetheless. As we walked through the corridors, I became increasingly impressed with the design of the place. Everything was incredibly beautiful and flawless. No matter where I looked, the predominant color was undoubtedly gold. I seriously wondered if everything there was made of gold.

After some time walking, we reached a door with distinct patterns I didn't recall seeing on other doors. The man moved ahead of me and opened the door, giving me space to enter. As I stepped inside, I found myself in a rather moderate room, with an open door leading outside to a small courtyard containing a lake.

Initially, I didn't notice, but two guards were inside the room, standing near the door. Their presence there surprised me, as they usually stayed outside. Despite this, I didn't pay much attention to this detail. While these thoughts passed through my mind, I saw the man who had guided me here bow his head slightly before closing the door.

"It's a pleasure to welcome you to the imperial palace. Your poem truly moved me"

A voice from behind me caught my attention. As I looked in that direction, I noticed that another door had opened, revealing another chamber, along with another man.

My discord server for conversations, there you'll also find photos of the protagonists of my works, as well as possible spoilers for my future stories, plus I'm always alerting you when a new free chapter is posted.

2