7. Advanced Magic
254 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up to a world of pain, my sore muscles hurting. Training with my sister yesterday took a lot out of me, but I knew I needed it. I wouldn’t be surprised if she becomes the best swordsman of the country in the future. Her speed yesterday was pretty incredible.

As I lay in bed, daydreaming, I wondered if we could travel the world together one day, just leaving this house behind and starting a new chapter. Going on different adventures, through elven kingdoms and dwarven fortresses, slaying beasts all the way and saving people. Though I would feel bad for leaving Alaya alone.

While thinking about the future, I noticed a disgusting smell. Ugh, I forgot to wash before sleeping. I pushed myself out of bed and made my way to the bathroom for a much-needed bath. The warm water soothed my tired muscles as I washed away the sweat and grime from yesterday's sparring.

After dressing myself in a simple beige dress made for a noble, I walked towards the balcony for my usual morning routine. I sat down on the marble floor of my big balcony in silence, taking deep breaths and clearing my mind. I could feel the warmth on my skin as rays of the dawning sun shone on the balcony, giving me a beautiful sight of today's sunrise. After enjoying the sensation for a few minutes, I started my routine.

I closed my eyes, starting the process of meditation with a serene expression. First, I focused on my breathing, taking deep breaths, holding them, and then letting them back out. I could feel my heartbeat slowing down, my body relaxing.

Next, I tried to calm my mind as well. I tried to forget all my worries and sources of stress. No responsibilities, no magic or body to train, no scary father or annoying stepmother, no lessons with Miss Yvonne. I just thought about nothing. My mind relaxed as I reached a deep state of meditation. I held this state for some time before I opened my eyes, starting the day with a relaxed body and a centered mind.

It's still quite early, I thought to myself as I wondered how I should spend the morning. The lesson with Miss Yvonne wouldn't start until noon. Same with the swordsmanship training, it would start shortly before my lesson ended. I don’t think I’ll join them today anyways. My body feels way too sore. It would be counterintuitive to train like this.

Thinking about it, I remembered that I still had that advanced magic book under my mattress. I actually never read the book because I knew if I did, it would have been on my mind the whole time, and I might have done something stupid and blown myself up casting spells way too difficult for the old me.

But after 1 year of consistently studying magic? Training my control every day? Yes, I’m definitely ready. At the very least, I should understand what the book is talking about.

So I made my way to my messy bed and picked out the book from under the mattress. Advanced magic for the gifted, it read. I wonder, do I classify as gifted? Probably yes, from an outsider’s perspective anyways. Without my past lifes knowledge, I doubt that I would be all that different from the people of this world.

I sat down on the luxurious soft sofa and reclined my back. It's good to be rich. I opened the book and started reading. The book was a treasure trove of information filled with spells of various elemental varieties and complex visualization techniques. Seems like a spellbook.

As I delved into its pages, I was struck by the detail with which the spells were described. Each spell was accompanied by a short visualization and painted picture, which I found fascinating. There were even spells of advanced elemental variety, unlike the book for beginners.

I paused as I came across a spell called "Elemental Blast." The description read, "Visualize a concentrated blast of elemental energy, drawing upon the power of the elements to create a devastating force." I closed my eyes, imagining the raw power of the elements coursing through my veins and converging into a single, focused blast. Could be useful, very versatile.

Next, I found a spell called "Nature's Grasp." The description read, "Visualize vines and roots growing from the ground, wrapping around your foes and holding them fast." I pictured the vines and roots, twisting and wrapping around an imaginary opponent, trapping them in a prison of nature's power. Good for binding i guess.

I continued to read, finding spell after spell that I longed to try. "Thunderstorm," "Flame Strike," "Tidal Wave," and "Earthquake" were just a few of the many spells described within the book.

After reading through some of the spells, I picked out one that I believed would be very powerful with the right modifications.

The spell "Lightning Discharge" was a complex and powerful spell that required precise control over one's mana and a vivid visualization. To cast this spell, one had to first gather mana within their body, channeling it towards their dominant hand. The mana then needed to be molded into the shape of a sphere, pulsating with energy.

Next, the caster had to visualize the air around them becoming charged with electricity, the air around them shifting and dancing with energy. They had to imagine the sphere of mana in their hand igniting into a bright light, the energy within it shooting outwards in a bolt of lightning.

As the visualization continued, the caster had to focus on directing the flow of energy out of their hand, imagining the bolt of lightning becoming longer and longer, until it reached its target. They had to maintain control over the spell, imagining the lightning striking their target with devastating force, searing it with a brilliant burst of light.

It was crucial to have a deep understanding of the nature of lightning and its properties, such as its speed and the electric currents it created. This knowledge was crucial for the caster to be able to control the flow of mana within their body, as well as the visualization of the spell itself.

After reading the spell description, I realized how it, as detailed as it may be, wasn’t scientific at all. It described the creation of electrical currents as 'the air around them shifting and dancing with energy'. I know it’s more than that. if I remember right, lightning forms when the negatively charged electrons and positively charged protons are separated and form a potential as they are trying to combine. If I visualize it like that, the effects of lightning should be a lot stronger.

I smiled with glee, knowing that I was probably the only person in this world who could modify spells with scientific knowledge. As I considered casting the spell, I came to the realization that, unlike beginner spells like simple fire conjuration, I would probably not be able to simply stop the spell after materializing it.

Even if I cut off the mana supply, the lightning has to go somewhere. And it’s bright too. Different from casting spells from the 4 basic elements, it was a lot more difficult to hide the destruction caused by lightning. Ah, fuck it. I’m tired of hiding my magic. I was going to ask father for a magic teacher soon anyways. If they find out they find out, Reinhardt already knows too.

I decided to just cast the spell on the balcony, aimed at the sky. For the first casting, I just wanted the spell to work. I stuck to the guide, without including my own knowledge and used minimum mana for safety.

Standing on the balcony, the book on the floor next to me, I began casting. I started gathering a small amount of mana within me and focused on channeling the energy towards my dominant hand, imagining it molding into a small sphere of pulsating energy.

Taking a deep breath, I began my visualization. I imagined the air around me becoming charged with electricity, the air molecules shifting and dancing with energy. The sphere of mana in my hand ignited into a bright light, the energy within it containing the lightning.

As the energy inside the small sphere sucked my mana and built up at an alarming rate, I quickly fired it, the energy within shooting towards the sky in a thin forking bolt of lightning.

I concentrated on directing the flow of energy out of my hand, imagining the bolt of lightning becoming longer and longer. I imagined a single arc of lightning forming towards the sky. I tried my hardest to maintain control over the spell, yet the lightning didn't wish to be controlled. It forked and changed directions constantly as I channeled my mana.

I kept maintaining the spell, while constantly trying to bring the lightning under control. But as my mana well quickly ran dry, I ended up only having slightly focused the lightning arc. This was a lot harder than I expected. Still count’s as a success though, just need to work on focusing the lightning.

Having set a new goal until Miss Yvonne’s lesson, I went over the spell once more as I waited for my mana to recharge.

16