11. Plans for the future
227 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I approached my sister's room, I raised my hand to the intricately carved brown door and knocked gently three times. A muffled voice called out, "Coming!" I smiled hearing that voice. It was a familiar routine - every evening, I would collect my sister and accompany her to our family dinner.

The door creaked open, revealing my sister's bright, beaming smile. "Hey little sis!" she exclaimed, as we hugged each other tightly. "Come on in, I'm almost ready." She gestured towards the interior of her room, inviting me inside.

Stepping over the threshold, I was immediately struck by the sights and scents of my sister's personal space. It had been a while since I had last been in here, and I took a moment to appreciate all the little details that made this room so uniquely hers.

The room was bright, filled with soft light from the lanterns that were hanging from the beige colored walls. A large bed was to the right side of the room, with fluffy white pillows and a soft, cream-colored duvet. A small table was next to the bed, with a lantern on it and a couple of books lying open on top, creating a cozy ambiance.

A large window was located on the other side of the room, letting in the sunlight and providing a view of the garden outside. The curtains were white and airy, fluttering gently in the breeze. Overall, the room was a peaceful and calming place, a perfect reflection of the sister's warm and gentle personality.

“I’m done,” she said as I turned to her, “How do I look?” she asked me with her usual upbeat tone and bright smile. I took a moment to admire my sister’s cute style.

The dress was elegant and simple, with soft, flowing fabric that cascaded down her shoulders and hugged her body. The white lace collar added a touch of delicacy to the outfit, and was tied into a neat bow knot at the front, in a warm shade of brown that matched her hair.

My sister had her hair styled in a braid, with two neat tails that framed her face and added a touch of playfulness to her overall look. The braids were intricately woven and on her right side she was wearing a cute ribbon, the same color as the bow knot. It was the perfect finishing touch, bringing the whole look together

“You look beautiful sis, the colors really bring out your eyes.” I told her with an admiring look.

"Thank you," she replied, blushing slightly. "I wanted to dress up a little for dinner tonight.”

Aww, shes so cute, I thought as I held myself back from hugging her again. “So, are you ready? We don’t wanna be late.” I asked her.

“Yep,” she smiled, taking my hand, “Let’s go.”

 

 

Elly

Elly


 

As my sister and I stepped confidently into the spacious dining room, I noticed that we are the last to arrive. Our father was seated at the head of the table, his eyes fixed on us as we curtsied in greeting. Despite his stern appearance, I could sense a hint of pride in his eyes as he nodded in response.

On the other side of the table, my stepmother and stepbrother did their best to ignore us, noses buried in their plates as they ate. Despite their lack of attention, my sister and I took our seats with grace, silently taking in the ornate décor of the room.

The table was set with the finest plates and silverware, surrounded by cushioned chairs with high backs. Candles flickered in the center of the table, casting a warm light on the food that had been expertly prepared for us.

As we began to eat, the dinner continued in relative silence, each person lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly, father cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. "I have some news to share," he began, looking directly at sister. "As you know, your engagement to the Duke's son is fast approaching," father continued, his tone serious. "You will be expected to visit him soon, and I want you to go into this with an open mind."

I could feel the tension rising in the air, and my sister's discomfort was palpable. She cast her gaze down to her plate, pushing her food around with her fork.

"I understand that this may not be what you want at the moment, but think of the opportunities it would bring," father implored. "The chance to marry into a Duke's family is a rare one, and it would be beneficial not only for you, but for our family's future as well."

My Sister sighed as she put down the silverware and looked father directly in the eyes. “Fine, I knew it was coming one day,” she said, balling her fists in anger at having no choice, “But I will only go there with an open mind, no more, no less!” she declared. “If I don’t like him, I will break it off!”

Fathers cheek twitched at the blunt language, unfit for a noble lady. "Very well, I'll inform the Duke that you have agreed. But I must warn you, he is a very powerful man, with many connections and high expectations. I suggest you take this seriously and give it your best effort." He said calmly. Poor sis, I hope he won’t ask the same of me.

I went back to eating the delicious food, thinking that conversation was over with that. As I took another bite of my dinner, I noticed my father's serious gaze sweeping over us all. "I have some more important news to share with all of you," he said, putting down his silverware.
"We have been invited to a grand banquet, hosted by the grand Duke himself. It will be a gathering of all the influential nobles and their families in the kingdom." I was nervous at the thought of going to such a big event.

My father continued, turning his sight to me, "And, my child, you will have the opportunity to showcase your magical abilities to the other nobles." I could feel the pressure building up inside me, but I tried to keep my face neutral, not wanting to disappoint.

"We will all be attending the banquet, and I expect everyone to be on their best behavior," father finished, his gaze sweeping over my stepmother and stepbrother, who merely nodded their heads in agreement.

I didn’t touch my food as I was thinking about the banquet. I couldn't help but feel apprehensive at the thought of performing magic in front of so many important people. What if I lose control of the magic? Am I the only one performing?

Not able to shake my curiosity, I asked, “Father, am I the only one performing at the banquet?” furrowing my eyebrows, “And what if I lose control of the magic? Wouldn’t that reflect badly on us?”

“You don’t need to worry about it so much,” he placated me, “You will not be the only one performing. It will be a magical showcase of the new generation, most of the youngsters will be between 12 and 16 years old,” he explained calmly, “you don’t need to worry about losing control either. I only expect you to cast an intermediate spell, nothing so grand that it would make you lose control. Due to your age it is already very impressive that you are able to cast a spell at all.” He ended, taking a bite of the steak.

Perhaps it won’t be so bad then. “I see, understood father. In that case, there shouldn’t be any problems.” Maybe I should ask for something in return? Never work for free and all that. “Father,” I started, ”could I ask for a favor in return?”

He gulped down his food as he put down the silver ware. Pinning me with his gaze, “Speak, child. I will decide after I’ve heard your request.”

"I want to join the knights in a magical beast extermination mission," I replied eagerly, "Even just watching would be acceptable, I've never seen a magical beast before."

My father's expression turned grim, "That is extremely dangerous, child. Many have lost their lives to magical beasts, because they underestimated them. You must not take it lightly."

"I understand, father," I replied, trying to hide my disappointment, "But I have been studying magic for years and I am ready to face new challenges. Even just watching from the back would be fine. I want to see a real fight."

Father sat in silence, contemplating the matter while I stared at him with hopeful eyes. He sighed, "I will consider it, but you must promise to be careful and always listen to the knights' instructions."

“I promise father.” I nodded seriously, grateful for the chance to see a real magical fight up close and hopefully, prove my skills as a magician.

20