16. Banquet pt.1
200 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hours of grueling riding and muscle fatigue and with a feeling of both relief and exhaustion, our weary expedition finally reached the mansion. I really need a shower and a good nights sleep after this.

I dismounted my trusty steed, showing gratitude towards the faithful girl who had persevered throughout the journey. The gates of the mansion opened with a creak, revealing the watchful knights, who welcomed us back with open arms.

I walked light to the stables, to let her weary legs get a well deserved rest. She probably had it harder than I did. She is the one who had to keep running for hours after all.

I dropped off the horse to her resting place and caressed her, “Thank you Light, for all your hard work,” I told her softly, “rest well.” She deserves it.

As I approached the mansion, I was greeted by the sight of Alaya. She rushed towards me, her skirt held aloft to prevent any dirt from besmirching her attire. Alaya's eyes were filled with worry as she took in my appearance, she assessed me thoroughly, checking for any signs of injury.

“Are you okay?” she asked with genuine concern, checking me all over.

Assuring her that I was unharmed, “I’m okay, don’t worry so much,” I tried to placate her, “I didn’t get hurt at all.” I gave her a slight smile. Sister took the hits for me after all, I thought and the guilt seized my heart.

However, Alaya remained skeptical, "Don't you lie to me, young lady!" she scolded me, her arms placed firmly on her hips, "I've seen what the others look like!"

I shook my head in denial, “I wouldn’t lie to you Alaya.” I replied, looking her directly in the eyes, “I’m fine, trust me.”

She squinted at me in suspicion, before breaking it off with a sigh, “I know, I’m just worried about you. What were you thinking joining the extermination operation?!” she complained in frustration, “and why has nobody told me anything about it?” she stomped her foot, looking furious.

“I’m sorry Alaya, I must have forgotten,” I gave her an apology and adopt a repentant look, So tiring. I just want a bath.

Alaya seemed to accept my apology, her demeanor softening as she took on a look of pity, "Oh you poor thing, you must be tired," she said, offering me a gentle smile, "Come on, let's get you some sleep."

“Actually, could you prepare a bath?” I interjected, eager to get rid of all the filth and blood that still clings to me, “I want to take one before resting.”

"Of course," Alaya replied, with a smile, "I'll be on it."

We made our way to my room and I waited as she prepared the bath. The scent of jasmine and lavender filled the air. “It’s ready!” hearing her voice, I made my way to take the much needed bath.

“Thank you Alaya, I’ll take it from here,” I told her as I undressed.

“No young lady, you must be tired,” she told me, “I’ll help you get clean and massage you while I’m at it.” She gave me a smile. I scrunched my face in confusion, I always take my baths alone though, I told her that I like my privacy.

I Shrugged her weirdness off as it didn’t particularly matter to me. I was not shy about showing my body to Alaya. She has seen it plenty of times already.

I lowered myself into the bath, feeling the warm water envelop my body and ease my fatigued muscles. I closed my eyes and let out a contented sigh, as I basked in the luxurious sensations. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the warm sensation and beautiful scents in the air.

I opened my eyes shortly as Alaya started massaging my left leg. Her experienced hands bringing a new level of relaxation to me. She did the same for my other leg and my arms, then moved to my shoulders. By that time I could almost fall asleep and my fingertips were all scrunchy from being in the water for too long.

I got up with a contended sigh, “Thank you Alaya, I’ll go to sleep for today.” She nodded and inspected me one last time as I made my way to slip into my sleeping clothes.

I finally tucked in, feeling relaxed and clean. As I relaxed in my bed, thinking various things, the thought of the banquet creeped into the forefront of my mind. I don’t want to perform in front of a bunch of stuck up nobles. If they are anything like stepmom, I’m going to have a horrible time. I fall asleep, thinking about what’s to come.

 


 

Sitting in front of the mirror, Alaya stood behind me and helped style my hair for the banquet. The feelings of unwillingness and anger started to resurface as I thought back on the last conversation I had with father.

I had stepped into his study, greeting him as usual. He had given me a nod as he always did to return greetings. “Father,” I had started, “Is it possible that I don’t showcase my magic at the banquet tomorrow? I don’t feel comfortable with using my magic in front of so many people.” My eyebrows had scrunched in unwillingness.

He had pierced me with his eyes and his expression turned sour. “Absolutely not acceptable.” He had told me coldly. “I have allowed all of your requests so far, even gotten you a master magician to overlook your magical studies.” He momentarily paused, never breaking eye contact, “It’s time for you to show your value child. There will be no more discussions regarding this.” He declared.

I grit my teeth thinking back on it. Alaya noticed, “What’s up sweetheart,” she asked softly, “Do you not want to go?”

If It was only that. I sighed, “No Alaya, I’m just a bit nervous about being amongst so many nobles.” I lied easily, faking a look of fear.

She caressed my shoulder, trying to make me feel better, “Don’t worry so much Amber, I’m sure that everyone will love you.” She smiled at me. “How could anyone dislike such a cute and adorable young lady?” she bent to be on eye level with me, “And if anyone does give you trouble, you can always rely on your sister.” She gave me a wink.

True, at least I’m not alone at the banquet. “You’re right Alaya,” I gave her a smile, “Thanks.”

As she finished up styling my hair, I stood up and inspected myself. Standing in front of the mirror, I couldn’t help but feel proud of myself. I was wearing a stunning silky black dress that hugged my body. The fabric was so soft and smooth, and it felt like liquid as I ran my hands down the length of the dress. I felt so beautiful and elegant, just like a grown woman.

My hair was styled perfectly, split down the middle with a sleek and shiny curtain of hair cascading down my back. Two locks on each side of my face provided a gentle frame, highlighting my features. And to add an extra touch of elegance, Alaya pinned a delicate rose on the right side of my hair.

I took a moment to admire my makeup, expertly applied with beautiful red lips that stand out against the black of my dress. The mascara brought out the brightness of my eyes and made them sparkle with confidence. I look so good, my face turned into a smile.

“You outdid yourself Alaya,” I looked at her brightly, “It looks amazing!”

Alayas eyes started glistening as she smiled brightly, “Thank you sweetie,” she wrapped her arms around me, “You grew up so fast. I still remember when you were a little baby,” She looked me in the eyes, “Look at you now, a stunning young lady, ready to take on the world.”

I grabbed her hands as I felt my eyes glisten as well, “Mhm,” I nodded, agreeing with her, “Thank you for always being there with me Alaya, I don’t know what I would do without you by my side.”

As we embraced each other, I heared somebody knock on the door thrice. “Are you ready sis?” came the muffled shout from my sister.

Alaya went to open the door and I answered, “Yes sis,” I shouted. The door opened and I greeted my sister in a hug.

We took in each others outfits for the evening, “You look so beautiful!”, “You look amazing!” we complimented each other at the same time and started chuckling.

“No, really sis, the outfit fits you perfectly.” I said as I inspected her.

She was wearing a beautiful brown dress made of soft, flowing fabric that danced around her legs as she did a 360 degree turn for me. The dress had intricate detailing, with delicate lace trimmings and elegant buttons that ran down the back. The sleeves were short, showcasing her slender arms, and the neckline was scooped, framing her face and highlighting her natural beauty.

The beautiful bun hairstyle she was wearing added a touch of traditional elegance to her outfit. The intricate design was woven with golden threads that caught the light, adding a touch of sparkle to her look. Her necklace and earrings were also made of gold, and they complemented the hairstyle perfectly. The earrings were delicate and dangled gracefully from her ears, while the necklace was a simple chain with a small golden pendant that rested just above her collarbone. Together, they made her look absolutely stunning.

Together, we made our way outside, to the carriages that we would be taking to the banquet. Stepping outside, I saw two identical carriages, ornate with gold and silver colors. They also carried our family symbol.

As we walked towards the first carriage, one of the accompanying knights stopped us, “Your family is in the second carriage, the first one is a diversion in case we get attacked on the way.”

I nodded at him, but inside i balked at the thought of being in a carriage with the stepside of my family. Nevertheless, we made our way into the second carriage, opening the door. What greeted me was the sneering face of my stepmother and the glaring face of my stepbrother.

Great, this is gonna be a fun ride. Sister and I took our seats opposite to the others. We rode in uncomfortable silence as I gazed through the window of the carriage, trying to ignore the stifling company.

I noticed with surprise that we were going extremely fast. The sights went blurry as we flashed past them. Must be magical shenanigans, I thought to myself. I would have asked father, but I felt too uncomfortable with stepmother there.

 

 

 

Amber

 

Amber

14