52._ Bound by Chains (3/3)
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The brief event was followed by a small party, the first of many that would celebrate Mother's release. Of course, the children were guests of honor. Erica didn't want to go, but the director eventually convinced her, with the help of her friends.

It was already dark by the time it started. Tur had every intention of going in and demonstrating his title, but suddenly a tinkling sound caught his attention. When he turned around, he found nothing, but he was not at ease anyway.

The party was taking place in the great hall on the second floor. From where he stood, the First used his timitio to climb the walls and appear on the roof. From there he walked aimlessly, looking into every corner, until he came to a large balcony pointing out to sea. The noise of the waves contrasted with the music and created a fissure of ambience where he felt safe. More relaxed, the noni leaned on the railing, waiting.

Soon he heard footsteps behind him, but did not turn around. He knew who it was. His companion stood next to him and leaned on the railing in a similar manner, assuming a relaxed attitude.

—I saw your fight— the Chainer said— it wasn't bad.

Tur laughed silently.

—It was lousy. I can't believe I lost to those kids.

The Chainer laughed too, then they paused in silence. They both had a lot to think about.

—How much time do we have left?— Tur asked.

—I'm not sure— admitted the Chainer— a day, a month, a year?

—A decade?

But the Chainer shook his head.

—No, that's a lot. Maybe five years, maybe less.

Tur put his hands to his head, troubled.

—What will you do if she doesn't make it?

The Chainer gazed calmly out to sea.

—Well... there will be no more chains.

Tur put a hand to his temple.

—No one else will do?

—No. If we could, we wouldn't have done any of this. Erica is the only one fit.

The noni tapped the railing gently so it wouldn't break, frustrated.

—Did you manage to contact the others? What do they say about the plan?

—No one likes it, but they'll do it anyway.

Tur sighed, pulling himself up for more air. He stared out to sea.

—You're crazy.

The Chainer didn't answer. Instead, he stared at him.

—What?— Tur asked.

—So you left the inner circle? You're no longer one of my chained ones?— he reminded him.

Tur shrugged his shoulders.

—What did you want me to do?

The Chainer laughed again.

—I'm sorry, it's just that I find it funny... in the end it doesn't matter, I'll leave the group too.

Tur looked down, a little sad. The Chainer noticed this and tried to lighten the mood with a friendly pat on the shoulder and a smile.

—Hey, I hear there's a party around here. Didn't you like parties?

Tur shook off the sad face, at least for him.

—Are you kidding?! I love parties!

—Come on, then!

—Yeah, let's go!

The Chainer disappeared. Tur hurried to the second floor. There he noticed that everyone was dancing, even Liliana, Arturo and Erica managed to do it between the three of them. Without wasting time, the First jumped to the center of the dance floor. People made room for him at the same time the spotlight pointed at him.

—Oh, yeah!— he exclaimed, as he began to move to rhythm of the music — I'll show you why they call me the dancing noni!

 

After a few days of preparation, the three children decided it was a good idea to begin their training. They said goodbye to the families of Liliana and Arturo, and to the heads of state. Then they headed to the garden of the building where they had been staying to leave. After a few last hugs, the three of them parted from the rest with their suitcases ready.

—Have you already learned how to make bridges?— asked Arturo.

—Tur taught me how he did it, although it is similar to what I did in the fight when I pulled you guys— Erica said— let me see if it works.

Suddenly, a long animal climbed up her shoulders.

—Eeeeeeeek!— shrieked Papel.

—Hey.

Liliana stroked the back of his head.

—And where were you?

Erica took a breath of air to relax. Then she looked at the floor in front of her. Tur told her she needed to think about the world she was going to and the specific place. Then she was to call the chain of that world and make it pass where she was.

—The chain of Nudo— thought Erica— the chain of the whole world.

She had no idea how many galaxies would separate the two worlds, but she did as Tur instructed anyway. She thought of Nudo’s chain. She called out to it.

—Come to me!— she commanded.

As soon as she said that, a long, powerful chain of gleaming gold suddenly emerged from the ground and leapt into her hand. Erica took it, bewildered at how fast it had been. She thought the process was going to take longer, that it was going to take several tries, but the chains seemed to be smarter than she had expected. Then she pulled the chain in her hand and felt something form, a tunnel, a bridge. She wasn't sure if she had actually felt the bridge forming between the two worlds, but she knew she felt something.

The chain in her hand pulled toward its place of origin, as if asking to be released with its work done. Erica let it go, and Nudo’s chain retracted back toward the place she had selected. The area on the floor began to swallow itself in a spiral.

—You did it!— Liliana celebrated— You really did it!

—Wow, I can't believe it!— admitted Arturo.

Erica looked at her hand with which she had grabbed the world chain. Such control, such power felt strange. She wondered what other abilities she would have as she took the next rings.

The bridge in front of her spun steadily, slowly and surely. It didn't look like it would close any time soon. With that done, the three turned one last time to the people who had come to see them off. They waved goodbye again and marched toward the bridge.

They reappeared in Primanoni, the capital of the Noni Empire and the city where Tur's castle was located. There they went and met a servant appointed to take them to their next destination. He led them to the flying ship terminal, where the three of them would say goodbye. Liliana and Arturo would take a flight to the border of the empire, where they would split to go their separate ways, while Erica would head to another country within the empire.

That was the last moment they would have together for a long time, none of the three knew how long their training would take, only that it would be at least a few months. They felt uncomfortable and sad, and although they wanted to tell each other everything at the same time, they did not know what to talk about, not even Liliana.

—Be careful— Erica asked them— just because you're outside the empire doesn't mean you won't meet bad people. I heard that mages are a bit elitist, and that in the vole empire they steal a lot.

Liliana smiled.

—It's possible, but that's what traveling is all about, isn't it? Getting to know new cultures, learning what's good and what's bad about them, dispelling stereotypes. Besides, from what I've seen, the vole are more delicate than the noni. That's always good for me.

—I didn't know mages were elitist— Arturo admitted— I hope it's not too annoying... but I'm so excited about learning magic that I don't mind too much.

The girls laughed. They both wanted to add something, but didn't dare. It was as if the words carried too much weight to simply say. A long pause formed.

—So how shall we meet again?— Arturo asked.

The girls' eyes widened. None of the three had thought of that.

—How about if the first one to finish their training goes to visit the others?— proposed Liliana.

—But who?

—I don't think we can visit you— said Arturo to Liliana.

—Ah? Why not?

—Because you're going to look for ghosts, people that even Tur doesn't know where they live. How are we supposed to find you?

Erica laughed, covering her mouth.

—Oh, it's true. I'd have to go see you guys.

Arturo assumed a meditative pose. Erica didn't need to think about it that much.

—Then let's look for an intermediate city, after Lili finds the ghosts.

Her friends were about to argue that they still had the problem of finding each other, but then two chains emerged from their chests. Erica held them carefully, pulled them towards her and caught them both in a tight embrace.

Liliana and Arturo looked at each other, surprised, and answered Erica's embrace. They had done it so many times by then that they were used to the shape of her body, but each time it felt as warm as the first.

—You are the best friends anyone could have. I feel like I don't deserve you. You don't know how much I thank you for sticking with me through my nonsense— she confessed, her voice moderately cracking— If anything happened to you, it would destroy me inside, so if you need me, just call me with all your might. I will come.

Liliana and Arturo nodded, smiling. As they parted, they noticed Erica's teary eyes, but they couldn't tease her, as they were pouting themselves.

—You're an impressive woman, Erica— Liliana told her— and you're nicer than you think, I assure you.

—We are also grateful to have you— assured Arturo.

—It's true— Liliana corroborated, then sighed— You don't know how happy I am to have met you. Now I can imagine the world through your eyes and it's so much more fun!

With that said, Liliana placed her hand on Erica's hand holding her chain.

—The next time we see each other, the three of us will be strong and kick the ass of anyone who gets in our way— said Arturo, and imitated Liliana's gesture with his hand.

Erica was about to burst into tears, but all she managed to do was nod and give a small

—Yes!

 

Liliana and Arturo left for their ship. Erica waved them off, and followed their chains with her eyes until they were out of sight. Then she sighed, at peace.

Finally she turned around. Papel ran to her, leapt up her shoulders, and wrapped around her neck like a scarf.

—Hey, there you were! You missed...

But she said no more. It didn't matter that Papel had missed the farewell, for he would see them again. Again she grasped the chains on her chest that connected her to her friends, fondly. In a way, they would always be connected.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Beware the Chains

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

 

0