Chapter 29 – Secrets Part 2
133 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Davis had been standing guard right outside Max’s room. Through the cracks in the doorway, he secretly snuck glances at the young man as he kept track of the time. Taking a gander at his pocket watch, Davis estimated that the couple’s conversation had neared its end. A distinct chime caused his expression to change. He had his orders. Waking Max, he said, “The Duke will see you now.”

Annoyed, Max followed Davis, his brows constantly twitching. What’s his deal? Thanks to him continuously peeping, I couldn’t get any sleep.

The door to the Duke’s study open, Davis respectfully gestured at Max to step inside.

Joseph met Max with a warm smile. He couldn’t completely hide the subtle aura of melancholy as he watched Max enter. Shadow and Curtis were right. The resemblance was indeed disturbing. “Sit.” He said, pointing at the couch while finding a seat opposite him. “I heard about what happened. How are you feeling?”

“Much better. Steve is an excellent healer.”

“That’s good to know. Then without further ado… Tell me everything.” The warmth in Joseph’s smile faded, suddenly reminding Max that the man before him was not only his friend’s father, but also one of the Empire’s four Dukes. “After all, there aren’t many who dare impersonate my men and risk capital punishment.”

“I understand.” Max replied and began to recount the event to the best of his ability, only leaving out the part about the Minister.

Joseph frowned. It was easy to understand why the perpetrators would impersonate his men to try to assassinate Max. But what confounded him was the identity of the person behind the attempted assassination. Who would benefit from killing Max? How had Max offended someone enough to warrant his death? And who within the Empire had the pull to get the Academy’s seal of approval? New questions had arisen and the reports he had read answered none of them.

“Well, you won’t have to worry about anyone any longer.” Joseph Walker muttered, poker-faced, calmly reassuring Max. “Such tactics only work with an element of surprise. No one will dare to act as long as I’m in the picture.”

Max agreed. Even a person of the Minister’s standing couldn’t trifle with a Duke.

“Now then,” Joseph continued in monotone, “Max, is there anyone who you suspect?”

“Not really.” Max played dumb.

Joseph coldly smiled, carefully observing Max and keeping track of any changes in his countenance. “Six months ago, you became Liliana Lockwood’s familiar. You made a name for yourself at the Induction and you singlehandedly saved my daughter from the man more commonly known as the Phantom.” He reported. “Someone with significant power obviously wants you dead.” Joseph’s icily said. Leaning forward, he displayed obvious signs of hostility. “And you’re telling me that nothing rings a bell? What about someone from your past? Anyone from before six months ago?”

“Eh?” The sudden change in the line of questioning caught Max by surprise. He faltered, alarm bells ringing in his head as he began to feel stifled, his instincts warning him of an imminent threat. The Duke had investigated him and for some reason was also showcasing animosity. Unsure of how he had offended this powerful noble, Max drew upon his every ounce of his acting experience and hid behind a light hearted smile. He said, “I really wouldn’t know. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but I have no memories on this planet from before six months ago.”

Joseph looked at Max with a hint of amusement. He’s nothing like the reports described. Is it an act?

He sighed, “I’m aware, but I suppose I still couldn’t help be a little suspicious.”

“What do you mean?”

“You bear the last name of Walker. And there is no information on you prior to the last six months. Isn’t that enough by itself?”

Max understood, but his unique circumstances made it impossible to give this man the answers he was looking for. Glad that he had chosen to play the part of an amnesiac, he answered, “Duke Walker, I’ve told you everything I know. As for my past, I’m sorry that I can’t be of more help.”

“I understand.” Joseph eventually nodded. “In that case, please enjoy your stay here. Davis will make arrangements for your return to the Academy.”

“O – Okay.” Surprised that his answer had been accepted at face value, Max involuntarily stuttered a response. ‘Is that it?’ He thought, ‘I thought for sure that he would press harder for something more satisfactory.’

Awkwardly, Max made for the door. One foot through the archway, he felt a disturbance behind him and instinctively dodged to the side. Turning around, he barely caught sight of a hooded figure before a gloved hand firmly grasped him by the forehead. Max struggled, his attempts to break free futile. Within seconds, he blacked out.

Not long after, Max opened his eyes, confused and standing at the exact same spot. He warily looked around and ultimately shot a glare at the Duke. “What did you do?!” He furiously growled, barely holding himself back.

Appearing slightly pale, Joseph came forward with a sincere apology. “I’m sorry. My subordinate acted of his own volition, but I managed to stop him in time.”

“Your subordinate?” Max sceptically asked as his anger rose to new heights. Frowning, Max felt no further need to put up a pretense. His senses flooded the room through his connection with air, scanning every nook and cranny. But the results were disappointing.

“Yes. Once again, I apologize for his inexcusable actions.” Joseph humbly repeated himself.

“I understand.” Unconvinced, Max walked out. Gnashing his teeth, he remained extremely vigilant on his way back, eager to leave the castle.

The door to the Duke’s study shut, a cloaked man materialized and nearly collapsed in the center of the room. His face as white as paper, Shadow had short, brown hair and was covered in sweat and blood, his right arm bent at an awkward angle, the bone having pierced through his skin and clothes. A warm scent of iron and gore filled the room. The sanguine liquid drenched his cloak, endlessly dripping on the floor.

Duke Walker’s right hand, a man who worked in the dark, an assassin and a Grand Master mage proficient in the profoundly difficult space magic, was in truly dire states.

“Shadow! Your hand!” Joseph hurried forward, worry apparent on his face.

After the conversation, Joseph, unsatisfied with the way it had progressed and believing that there was more to the story, had authorized Shadow to perform the memory search magic. This was a form of magic forbidden for general use by the Empire’s Royal family.

Although the Duke’s right hand had managed to catch Max by surprise, things hadn’t gone as planned. Casting the banned spell had nearly cost the two their lives.

“It - It will be fine.” Shadow groaned amid a series of violent and agonized coughs.

A bluish hue flowed from Joseph into Shadow. Gritting his teeth, Shadow forced the bone back in place and immediately applied a pungent smelling paste over the wound. A handful of pills down, he finally felt the pain recede. He trembled, his body shivering from head to toe as he found his way to the couch with Joseph’s aid.

“What in the world was that thing?” Shadow asked with a voice filled with trepidation, despair having taken root deep within his heart.

Joseph shook his head. “I don't know. I have never seen anything like it.”

“That monstrosity can’t be human. We need to find a way to eliminate it.”

“It’s impossible.” Joseph bitterly smiled, his eyes closed. “Not even an army of Paladins will be enough.”

The casual display of strength had been enough to reveal the chasm between their powers.

Sulking in remembrance, Shadow involuntarily shuddered. “You’re right.” He sighed. “Perhaps only Lord Alcatraz or the other two can hope to suppress it.”

 “No.” Joseph solemnly said, “It was only once, but I’ve met the Saint. The feeling of oppression back then can’t even begin to compare to the one from just now… It felt like I was on the edge of oblivion. That presence and aura, it was on a completely different plane of existence.”

“That’s…” Speechless, Shadow shook his head, once again recollecting the difference between the primordial existence that had inspired nothing but fear and its sixteen year old host. Joseph wasn’t wrong. This was at a level that had far exceeded his scope of understanding.

“This changes everything.” Joseph exhaled. “We can’t afford to antagonize Max any further.”

“Agreed.” Shadow paused and thoughtfully added, “It seems like it wasn’t lying when it said Max is unaware of its existence. This should make things easier for us.”

“Yes. With ‘it’ inside of him, the possibility of his allegiance to anyone seems unlikely. I suppose I should be able confirm everything with my next move.”

With a slight groan, Shadow stood up. His hand had only just begun to heal, but his ruddy complexion had already returned. Feeling strong enough, his eyes momentarily met Joseph’s before he disappeared.

“Don’t disturb my sleep, huh?” Joseph subconsciously repeated the unknown entity’s last words. “Besides protecting the boy, perhaps it really has no interest in anything else.”

The knocks on his door forced the Duke to recompose himself. A newly recruited butler showed himself in, trembling in Joseph’s presence. Incredibly nervous, he clumsily bowed and stammered, “Uh – The - The young miss has arrived with a few friends.”

“Amy?” Joseph chuckled. Because of Max, eh? “Who are the ones accompanying her?”

“Uhm - Mi - Miss Liliana Lockwood, Miss Evangeline Marlow, Mister August Kendall and Mister Lewis Dalton.”

Joseph thoughtfully stroked his chin. ‘Two heirs of a Count and the prodigal son of the finance minister… Max has found some interesting friends.’ Waving his hand, he ordered, “Send my daughter up and keep the rest waiting.”

“Yes.” Acknowledging the command, the youth walked out.

Joseph gently rubbed his shoulder, frowning with discomfort. The slight altercation with the enigmatic entity had left him with quite the bruise as a souvenir.

Back on his seat, he decided to put aside all unnecessary thought. It had been a long time since he last met his daughter. He was looking forward to the reunion.

3