Eden 02: Chapter 09-10 Sara Noble
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 09: Franky

 

Before the sun was even up Sara woke up before her alarm. As she got close to her personal workroom she heard something moving around. Unlocking the door she found Fen had learned how to walk, run, and jump. His head pointed at the hologram image of himself Sara had left turned on.

 

“You like it? When I'm done you're going be waterproof and able to jet through the water. I even got this idea to put handles on your collar for handholds. Oh, your tail will be an antenna. ” Sara said showing each part she planned to use.

 

Sara realized she was talking in an excited tone and laughed at herself. Her first time working with an AI core and she was thrilled.

 

Sara headed for the corner bathroom next and got ready for the day. As her tablet beeped that her online school classes were about to start. Sara divided her attention between listening to her teachers and working on minor parts for Fen. The camera currently blocked, but the audio still opened in case a teacher asked her a question. Sara was happy when classes were over with.

 

“Here, I will leave my tablet on with videos about dogs. I want you to be kid-friendly too. ” Sara said leaving the tablet on the work table while the power cord was plugged in.

 

Sara pulled on her flight suit and got her job assignments. Sara saw there wasn't much to do and her interview was going take up the last half of her lunch hour. Then she was supposed to return here to finish the new Flight Pack.

 

Sara got a new stack of business cards from Joy and then was off to start the day. Sara hadn't realized it, but today was the last workday of the week. Caught up in everything she had lost track of the days.

 

Sara was nervous about the interview, but when she showed up it was more about her Leather-Wing. Where he might have come from and how did you two meet was the main focus.

 

Sara mentioned her workplace and even showed off a business card before the interview ended.

 

Glad and disappointed the interview was done with. Sara flew back to the warehouse. She finished the second Flight Pack and had an idea.

Sara took the chance to ask Sam a few questions to see if he knew anything about her father's secret project. He looked puzzled then smiled.

 

“Yeah, I had a hand in the Flight Pack. your dad came to me about stabilizing it. I believe he put my advice in the footnote. I wondered, why it was so important then I realized maybe it was a gift. ” Sam said and Sara decided not to probe any further.

 

“Thanks, This one is for a friend. ” Sara said and ran into Lisa and Helen.

 

“Hey Sara, we are off the clock and curious to know about your pet project. Lisa, thinks you are building your own spider bot from scrap parts. ” Helen said.

 

“I suspected, but she only took four legs that day. your dad was always inventing new stuff every few weeks. ” Lisa said sounding interested.

Sara decided they could be trusted to a point.

 

“Come upstairs. I will show you my pet project. ” Sara said enjoying the play on words.

 

“Oh my goodness. He is so cute. ” Helen said seeing Fen watching a video of dogs doing tricks.

 

“Whoa, He is going to be part water scooter too? ” Lisa said looking at the hologram floating in the center of the room.

 

“Yeah, I made him my personal friend and protector. ” Sara said watching their expressions.

 

“Damn straight, a girl can never be too careful. I live uptown and so does Lisa. Luke, on the other hand. He must live in a shady part of the city. I have always seen him go the other way when we all leave. ” Helen said now looking at the holographic image and noticing the non-lethal weapons.

 

“Talk about bad doggy breath. ” Lisa said pointing out the mace can with a spare can for reloading.

 

“Hey Lisa, you got some extra Nereid organic metal lying around. She needs to waterproof her pet project. I got a special friend who can hook me up with some shredded spider silk for fur. I would be honored if you let me do the dye work. ” Helen said and Sara was thinking about it.

 

“Yeah, he would look so much more like a real dog. ” Lisa said looking at Fen if he already was finished.

 

“I don't want you two to go out your way. ” Sara said loving the idea.

 

“As you know Nereid organic metal grows on its own when encouraged. Helen's got the tough job. ” Lisa said and Helen only grin.

 

“It is not work, if it is fun. I will hit up my friend this weekend. ” Helen said.

 

Sara nodded and watched as they chatted away as they left her work area. Sara followed them out and saw that Luke was already gone for the day.

 

As they all walked outside. Sara looked about to see if anyone else was in sight.

Sara spotted Franky heading around the corner. Something about his expression made Sara curious.

 

“Later, guys. I'm going to grab a bite to eat. ” Sara said seeing that Franky was heading for the city area set aside for small cafes.

 

Sara hurried and wondered if Franky was the person that helped her father that day. He was an expert in solving mechanical or tech problems.

 

Sara caught sight of him and saw he was talking to a much older woman then himself. She was dressed in a dark business-like suit.

 

She hugged him, but it was like a hug one gets from an Aunt. She gestured they should take a seat inside.

 

Sara walked forward and decided to hang out by the corner of the window. Sara thought just maybe, she stumbled onto something criminal.

 

Franky put something on the table and the woman smiled then produce a small laptop. From this angle, Sara made out some type of banking app.

 

“Can I help you, miss? ” A deep voice asked.

 

Sara turned around to see a guy larger then her looking at her in a judging way. He was wearing the same type of suit as the woman.

 

“Nothing, just waiting on a friend to finish up his business. ” Sara said trying to sound like she wasn't spying.

 

“I think, you should come with me. ” The man said and he made a fast grab for her wrist.

Sara didn't know what she did until she heard the man's own wrist snapped and had him in a headlock.

 

It was a combination of years of self-defense and her own nervousness.

He was scrambling to get a hold of her.

 

“I saw it. He made a grab for her. Maybe trying to steal her SABA. ” a man said voicing his opinion out loud as other people noticed the fight.

 

“Somebody get a Peace Keeper. ” Another woman said searching for her smartphone.

 

“Okay, folks. I got this. I'm sure this was all a misunderstanding. ” The woman in the dark suit said flashing a badge and getting the gathering crowd to open a way for her.

 

“You mind, letting go of my work partner? My name is Erica Watt by the way. ” Erica said and Sara did so pushing her self away. Her grandpa would have been proud by her quick reflexes.

 

“Peter, stay out here and explain things to the nice Peace Keepers when they arrived. Next time, flash your badge before you go grabbing young ladies. You little miss, join me at my table. ” Erica said and Sara nodded

 

“Sara? ” Franky asked when she came to the table and sat down next to him.

 
 

“Ah, you know this young lady. ” Erica said as a statement of fact.

 

“Yeah, she is one of my bosses. ” Franky said looking at Sara if asking why are you here.

 

“I was walking by and thought I saw you in here. I noticed you were talking to a friend so, I decided to wait till you were done. ” Sara explained more for Erica's benefit then Franky's.

Outside Peter was talking to two Peace Keepers and he flashed a badge. Sara could see one of the Peace Keepers was helping him putting on some wrappings for his hand.

 

“Good to see you have more friends as time passes. ” Erica said and Sara was getting the strangest feeling that somehow Erica was family. Franky saw her confused face then explained.

 

“Sara, this is Erica. An agent from the Military Intelligence Bureau or just M.I.B for short. I'm recently from Earth and she is my handler. ” Franky explained quickly and in a low tone.

 

“Just don't ask me about little green men. ” Erica said with a wink.

 

“What?” Sara asked.

 

“She a Nereid. Not everyone has seen that old Earth movie. ” Franky said with a roll of his eyes. Sara figured it was a joke of some sort.

 

“How long ago? ” Sara asked now curious to know. Sara didn't bother with looking into employee's history files or the co-owners. She had been more concerned about loss and profit numbers.

 

“A few months, now. I was on this school camping trip and we all noticed this ripple in the air. The teachers were just telling us to back away from it. When some of the other boys or should I say bullies pushed me into it. Next thing, I know. I'm lying on the ground in this strange city and Erica was there giving me a hand up. ” Franky explained.

 

Then Erica took over the conversation.

 

“Sadly, as you know the Earth portals are one way and don't stay open for very long. Part of my job was to greet new arrivals and get them settled. ” Erica said and Sara nodded understanding.

 

“Now you know. I'm stuck here and cut off from my family or friends. ” Franky said and Sara felt a bit teary eye.

 

“Now Franky. I think you adjusted well to Eden. I bet your coworkers and this young lady here could be considered your friends. you're more then just some kid I check in on. ” Erica said and reached a hand to hold his. She let go and smiled when he nodded.

 

“I know. It's just hard to think someone like Sara is older then she appears to be. It's just, I feel like a little kid among adults. ” Franky said looking out toward the windows.

 

“You have come a long way in these past few months. Let's be honest. If I was still a recruiter. You would have been on my list. You got the smarts where it counts, kid. ” Erica said and Sara decided to pitch in.

 

“I have never seen anyone fix drones so fast. you're our expert problem solver. ” Sara said. Sara saw the big guy Peter heading in their direction. The crowd was gone now and Peace Keepers now stood on the corner.

 

“Sorry, about grabbing you. I have been told, I tend to act before thinking. ” Peter said to Sara and looked over at Erica.

 

“This is a good lesson for you, Peter. She may look like a sweet innocent teenage girl. But, she kicked your butt like that. ” Erica teased snapping her fingers and Sara got the impression Peter was going to get some serious teasing in the future.

 

“Point taken, I will start taking the self-defense classes seriously. ” Peter said and seem okay with Sara. He gave her a wink and relaxed back in the seat.

 

“Well, shall we finish our a little transaction. The rest of your phone's data for our record keepers. In exchange, you get another six months' worth of credits to live it up for a while. Longer, if you're a penny pincher. ” Erica said and Franky nodded pushing his phone toward her.

 

“What is a penny? ” Sara asked thinking she heard that term before a long time ago.

 

“I will explain later. ” Franky said and there was a beep. Erica smiled and handed him back his smartphone.

 

“I hope you got some good music on here. Sometimes, we are able to download data through the random portals and I love getting new music from Earth. ” Erica said in an excited tone.

 

“Don't forget the other thing. ” Peter said and motioned to Erica's chest.

 

“Oh, right. ” Erica said and pulled out a large thick envelope.

 

Franky opened it and pulled the photographs out. They were pictures of his family in full vivid detail. Parents and what appeared to be a little sister.

 

“Thank you, Erica. ” Franky said and wiped at an eye then put the photos back in.

 

“The next time, you invite me over for a friendly visit. I want to see those in picture frames hanging on your wall. ” Erica said and nodded to her partner.

 

Sara could see why she made a good agent. She was a real people person and could charm just about anyone.

 

The agents left and Sara decided to move to the other side so she sat across from Franky.

 

“Sorry for sticking my nose in your personal business. ” Sara said realizing she should have talked to him first before deciding to spy on him.

 

“It's okay. your dad knew about me. He saw that I was working hard to catch up on my education and bring myself up to Eden standards. I really wish that I talked to him then just a passing hello. ” Franky said and gave Sara a rare smile.

 

“You hungry? I'm starving. We can talk and eat. ” Sara said and enjoyed the dinner with Franky. Sara felt a little guilty for spying on him.

 

By the time they were done talking. Sara felt sure he wasn't working for Deep Water.

Sara paid the bill and excused herself back to the warehouse. Sara made the final touches and tweaked to the flight pack so it was ready.

 

She spent the rest of the evening getting Fen's water jet system installed. It did require some minor welding and bolting.

 

Sara headed for her cot soon after and Fen spent the night getting used to the added weight. Sara spent her first day off relaxing and seeing more of the city.

The only thing that was work-related was when she found a Leather worker who made dog collars. Ones with handles were pretty common so Sara was able to pick one up almost next to nothing in cost.

 

Sara also got some needed food supplies and a few personal female items. Sara returned to the warehouse and stored her stuff away. Then she decided that Fur-Ball needed his exercise.

 

The flight over to the park was short and Sara took the chance for a swim while Fur-Ball helped himself to the wild fruit. This time she didn't bother with having her flight suit with her. Instead, she wore only her wet suit.

 

Sara relaxed and floated for a while before going under. Like being back home, she felt at peace while she held herself to the deep river bed.

 

Sara returned to the surface once she felt her thoughts were crystal clear.

Fur-Ball had returned to his roost and watched her from the open doorway.

 

“I bet you wish you could join me. ” Sara said calling up to the Leather-Wing.

The Leather-Wing cocked his head and then turned away to settle down further back into the room.

 

Soon after, Sara came back inside to start chores.

 

That night before bed Sara entertained herself with playing fetch with Fen. She had discovered an old rubber ball she found lying around in a drawer.

 

Chapter 10: Swordsman

 

Sunday morning dawned and Sara reviewed everyone's backgrounds. The only thing she found of any interest was Luke's file. According to a footnote done by Mr. Cope. Luke would come in with a fading black eye or scar that hadn't quite healed up yet. As for Han, he was a new hire just before the attack. Just in case she would check him out too.

 

Mister Cope always had Luke switch with someone else if Luke was supposed to do repair fieldwork. Mister Cope sited the reason for not looking professional. Sara reminded herself to look into the co-owners after Han and Luke.

 

For now, Sara wanted to kick back and enjoy the day. She told Joy to keep the pool gate up and she would be back from the park soon enough. Sara took her time in the water and walked in the park afterward.

 

On her walk back she noticed two men waiting. They looked rough and a bit too focused on her. Sara looked back and saw three more walking down the path toward her with short wooden clubs in one hand. Sara looked to the sides of the path and saw heavy undergrowth. Sara knew if she ran that way they catch her for sure. At least with the path she had room to fight.

 

Sara moved toward the pair first figuring she had better chances with just two. Not to mention she be closer to the water. None of them were Nereid. She could escape by diving into the water.

 

“Now, why are you gentlemen in such a hurry?” A voice said and the three on the path turned around to see an older man leaning on a fancy looking cane.

 

“Better you walk away, old man. Just a swimmer bitch. ” One man called back, but Sara turned sideways so she could keep her eyes on all of them. The pair blocking her way stayed where they were.

 

“Boy, assuming I'm just an old man was your first mistake. ” The man said and Sara watched as he pulled out a sword that was hidden inside his cane.

 

Sara watched as the three men try to rush him. Instantly, Sara saw their mistake. The path was narrowed and the way his blade shined told Sara he had a Steel-X sword.

He ducked the first swing easily and then chopped down on the first guy taking his fingers and cutting the wood club down.

 

Sara watched as the swordsman moved around the first guy as he grabbed his bleeding hand. The second guy was caught off guard. He never saw the sword stroke that hamstrung him.

The last guy held his club like a sword only to have it whittled away almost to nothing.

 

“I give up. Don't cut me, man. We just got paid to scare the girl is all. I promise. ” The thug whimpered and dropped the short stick that had been his club.

 

“Who paid you? ” The swordsman asked

 

“I don't know. We were given a paper note with a picture of the girl. All it said was scare her good. There was a card full of credits too. ” the thug pleaded.

 

“If one of you have it. Drop the note and the picture. I will let you keep the credits, but you all owe me for sparing your life. Take your friends and go. ” The swordsman said next and gestured for the thug to get his friend with the cut leg.

 

Because Sara was expecting it she was ready when the pair blocking her path trying to rush her. She saw a flash of metal.

 

“Get the girl. He can't stick us if we use her as a shield. ” The man said reaching to grab her.

Sara avoided his grasp and broke his arm having to use her entire body weight to do so. Sara pushed the broken arm man away to face the second guy. Sara screamed as she rushed the second guy for the shock and awe effect. His thrust was wild and Sara was able to twist the knife from his grasp.

 

She brought the knife's edge to his throat and held it there.

 

“If I ever see you again. I will cut your throat and watch you drown in your own blood. ” Sara threaten then lowered the knife to push him away to join his friend.

 

“Run along, boys. I will be in touch. ” The swordsman said and Sara watched as they skirted around him then ran to catch up with their friends.

 

“Who are you? ” Sara asked and kept her eye on his sword.

 

“I'm Edward Knight, Eden Elder, Protector, and your business partner. Do I have the pleasure of meeting Miss Sara Noble? ” Mr. Knight said and Sara nodded. Then Sara's eyes went wide as one of the biggest men she ever saw was slowly walking down the path behind Mr. Knight.

 

“Ah, Brutus. There is a note, a picture, and some fingers lying on the ground. Use some of the little plastic bags you always carry. Touch only the corners of the note and picture. Hopefully, we will get some fingerprints or DNA off the paper products. The fingers belong to one of the thugs. Remind me, later to find out who his friends are. We will put them on the you-owe-me list for now. ” Mr. Knight said and Sara watched as the large man started putting the fingers into his first little bag.

 

“Don't worry about old Brutus. He is my best friend and ex-bodyguard. ” Mr. Knight said putting his sword back into the cane.

 

Sara caught sight of a laser pistol just inside the large man's jacket.

 

“Thanks for the help. ” Sara said.

 

“I think you could have handled them all. I can see why my daughter and grand-daughter are so impressed by you. ” Mr. Knight said next.

 

“How did you know I was here? ” Sara asked feeling like this was a setup.

 

“Joy informed me you were here. We barely got here when we spotted those three thugs rushing down this path. I followed them because they looked like trouble. Protector is still one of my many titles. ” Mr. Knight explained and slowly walked up to Sara. He held out his hand for her to shake.

 

“An honor, Elder Knight. ” Sara said shaking his hand and recalling how important he was and still is in some circles. Sara thought she was being paranoid in thinking he set her up.

 

“Please, Edward or just Mr. Knight. Is it okay with you? Can I call you Sara or do you prefer Miss Noble now? ” Edward asked. Sara told him that her first name was just fine.

 

“Mind, if we walk toward the river. Brutus will guard our rear ends. ” Edward said and Sara smiled at his words.

 

“That's okay with me. ” Sara said and for a short while, they didn't talk.

 

“Why are you here now? ” Sara asked once they were in sight of the water.

 

“My wife, mostly. Valerie, my grand-daughter wanted to pick up her Flight Pack if it is ready. They are waiting just outside your building. ” Mr. Knight said and slowed down as they came to the river's edge.

 

“Oh, I just finished it and got it tweaked. The command words are deploy and retract. ” Sara said seeing a female figure on the dock waiting on the other side of the river. Her Leather-Wing next to Valerie in the side parking lot.

 

“There is my lovely wife. She has been itching to see your Leather-Wing in person. ” Mr. Knight said and waved at her.

 

“You knew my father. How well did you know him? ” Sara asked.

 

“Well, He had an amazing talent for inventing that was for sure. Now, that I'm long retired from council business. I have found myself with a lot of time on my hands. I always had an eye out for talented people. The Northern folk are excellent craftsmen with stone or wood and some Nereid people know their tech pretty well. your father was one of them. He sold several designs that have taken our tech to new levels for the people of Eden. He used the money to start the business with some help. You have to contact Mister Lester Leo about advancements in water drone technology. He is one of the new Nereid Noblemen and the son of the last co-owner of the company. ” Knight explained.

 

“Did he ever do any special projects for you? ” Sara asked taking a risk in just asking.

 

“None. Although, I did want to talk to your father about expanding the company once we started making more profit. According to public records, the warehouse next to yours is empty and up for sale. This part of the city is not the best part of Alpha. Just down a few blocks, we have legal and illegal fighting rings for example. Now I'm just an old man with money, but I think bringing successful businesses could give people places to work. ” Mr. Knight answered.

 

“We could call the new building next door Noble Tech. ” Sara said looking at the building. The warehouse's parking lot was right next to Sam's fenced-in work area.

 

“Make a good profit, Miss Sara Noble and you will have my full support. You go ahead and cut over the river. I will take a nice slow walk back. ” Edward said and Sara nodded.

She used the ramp down to the water while Mr. Knight walked toward the nearest bridge. The large man known as Brutus soon joined him.

 

Mrs. Knight was there to help her out of the water.

 

“I heard so much about you, dear. I'm Julie Knight. Just call me, Julie. ” Julie said Sara nodded wiping the water away. Looking at the older woman she could have passed for Tee-Kay's older sister by her looks alone.

 

“Nice to meet you. If you don't mind waiting I will get that Flight Pack for Valerie. ” Sara said shaking the woman's hand.

 

“If it's not any trouble. Valerie does better with animals then people. She tends to forget people have lives of their own to live. I know, today is your day off. ” Julie said and Sara reassured her it was no trouble.

 

Sara returned with the Flight Pack and found Julie with her granddaughter.

Julie was carefully looking over Fur-Ball with care. She aimed a 3D camera at him a few times and nodded to herself.

 

“Smaller then most Leather-Wings, but his wings are larger. More body fat and fur then normal. That suggests he comes from a slightly colder area. Can you ask him where he is from?” Julie asked looking at Valerie.

 

“He says the place where the tall rocks meet the cold water and the wind never stops. ” Valerie said clearly repeating what Fur-Ball was thinking.

 

“I suspect a fjord between the jungle and mountain range. Most likely hidden under the constant mist and heavy tree cover in the area. Every year, we learn more about our world. ” Julie said.

 

“You think Cindy and her team will find more of them? ” Valerie asked.

 

“Matter of time, dear if they are out there. They have to had to avoid certain areas. It could be weeks or even months at the most. ” Julie said and gently pet Fur-Ball.

 

“Did you ask him if there are more his kind? ” Sara asked now coming up to Valerie. From the look on Valerie's face, it never occurred to her to ask such a simple question. She turned to Fur-ball and got an answer.

 

“He said more then a few. ” Valerie said and shaking her head at Fur-Ball.

 

“I doubt Leather-Wings concern themselves with numbers. Good thinking in asking that question, Sara. ” Julie said and Valerie noticed the Flight Pack for the first time.

The young girl rushed over to try it on.

 

“Here, let me help you. ” Sara said and showed Valerie how to wear it then explain the latest features she put on it and why. Pretty soon the younger girl was ready for her first test flight.

 

“Deploy! ” Valerie said and was lifted into the air by a good twenty feet. Because she had no controls linked to the Flight Pack she went straight up. Something Sara program in when the rider was on the ground and needed to get above any danger.

 

“Try the counter command. ” Sara yelled up.

 

“Retract. ” Valerie said coming down slowly until her feet touched the ground. The wings retreating back into the Flight Pack once she was on the ground.

 

“Now you can hit where you will want to land when it's linked to your control device. Like my mine own it will engage if detects an uncontrolled drop after a certain amount of feet. ” Sara said and showed Valerie the finer details of the Flight Pack.

 

“I will sleep better at night. I like those lights you put on there in case of a night landing. ” Julie commented to Sara.

 

“Thanks. Maybe, I just started a new trend among riders. ” Sara said and smiled.

 

“I'm sure other riders will want one. ” Valerie said.

 

“I will keep that in mind. I can start designing larger ones. ” Sara answered back.

 

“We may need such tech in the future. Did you hear the latest tech news? ” Julie asked.

 

“What is that? ” Sara asked.

 

“A Nereid scientist working with the Military Intelligence Bureau figured out a way of opening existing portals. Sadly, they still work only one way by pulling anything that enters it to us, but It's progress. My husband tells me the rumor is they working on finding other worlds to explore. Who knows what worlds my grandchildren may visit one day. ” Julie said and Sara could feel the excitement from the older woman.

 

“Sounds interesting. ” Sara said and noticed that Mr. Knight and his large friend finally made their way back.

 

“Well, dear?” Mr. Knight asked.

“Amazing Leather-Wing and his rider is a talented inventor herself. ” Julie said and lightly kissed her husband.

 

“Yes, quite the pair so I hear. ” Mr. Knight said giving Sara a wink.

 

“Is that blood on your cane? ” Julie asked in an accusing tone looking at a few drops he failed to wipe away.

“I will explain on the way back home. ” Mr. Knight said and Sara watched as Brutus took a spot just on the other side of Valerie. Clearly, he positioned himself there to protect the young girl from any trouble.

 

Sara lost sight of them as they turned the corner.

 

Sara went back to her workroom and set a reminder to work on making even larger Flight Packs for full-grown adults. Perhaps they could get the neighboring warehouse to mass-produce them one day.

 

Sara checked the latest news and saw the story Julie Knight had talked about. It was clear from the news report no one truly understood the portals in detail or why they randomly opened up in certain opened areas.

 

“Computer, open design for Flight Packs and create a second mod for larger adults. Let's explore different options for controlling the descent and lift when needed. Set a footnote with a list of possible jobs where the Flight Packs could be useful. ” Sara said watching the file being updated.

0