Eden 02: Chapter 15-16 Sara Noble
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Sorrow

 

Sara was hardly airborne when Fur-Ball turned his ears to something she couldn't hear.

Then without her permission, Fur-Ball banked and flew right for the Leather-Wing bay inside the North Tower.

 

“Fur-Ball, home. you're going the wrong way. ” Sara said and started to panic. She didn't have permission to fly near North Tower.

Sara opened up her commlink.

 

“North Tower, I'm inbound toward the Leather-Wing Bay. My Leather-Wing is not listening to me. This is Sara Noble, I go by Mermaid. ” Sara said quickly as the side of the mountain was getting closer. Fur-Ball aiming for the open doorway.

 

“Roger, Mermaid. Stay on your current course. For reasons unknown to us all Leather-Wings are flying back toward the bay almost at once. ” A male voice said calmly and Sara stopped trying to pull on the reins to make Fur-ball turn away.

 

Then Sara heard it. It was an echoing call on the wind. Somehow she knew it was a Leather-Wing making that noise. More Leather-Wings crowded the sky around her.

 

Then a rider and Leather-Wing she knew flew past her and made a reckless landing in the bay.

 

Fur-ball landed with the rest of the Leather-Wings and Sara didn't know what to make out what she was seeing at first.

 

All the Leather-Wings she knew of gathered around a crowd of people. Then Sara realized it was mostly made of kids and teenagers. There were a few adults there.

The security guards who were normally by the door stood well back from the ring of Leather-Wings.

 

Then the crowd parted a little as Valerie pushed her way through. Sara saw what was going on then.

 

Madam Grace was sitting in her rocking chair now in the middle of the bay area. Two medics were taking scans with medical devices. Checking her pulse and talking in a low tones to each other.

 

Madam Grace waved them away. Sara took this moment to unhook herself and made her way through the crowd to stand with most of the Jones family. Crystal moved forward to kneel beside Madam Grace.

 

“Please Grace, let the medics take you. ” Crystal begged and Madam Grace only smiled before speaking. Her voice weak, but could be heard by everyone there.

“I'm dying, girl. I can feel it and the medics know it. Respect an old woman's last wish. Kevin, where are you boy? ” Madam Grace asked and Sara watched as Kevin stepped forward. Madam Grace took his hand in a firm grip.

 

“I'm sorry, Kevin. I won't be there to see you grow up. Your the man of the house. Crystal will need someone to lean on when I'm gone. Don't think for a second, I don't know you and Dark-Fang are bonded. You can't fool an old woman like me. ” Madam Grace said and Kevin smiled a little as tears streamed down his face.

 

“As for the rest of you young ones. Know, that I love you like family. You head on home now and give your parents a big hug. That's an order. ” Madam Grace said and Sara watched as the kids then the teenagers slowly moved away to file out of the room.

 

The older teens looking after the younger ones as they started bawling openly.

 

Tee-Kay was crying wiping away tears and Milo Jones's face could have been partly made of stone. Sara figured when it came to him that still waters run deep as her people would say. Perhaps, in a private moment to himself, he would shed a few tears. For now, he had to appear strong for everyone's else sake.

 

Valerie seemed to be consoling Talon. Other Leather-Wings were looking toward her.

 

“Jones family, front and center. ” Madam Grace ordered her voice turning into a cough. Sara could see her breathing slowing down.

 

“Never in my entire life besides myself have I seen riders like you three. you're naturals and have a deep connection to your Leather-Wings. I have never been so proud and happy to have you as my close friends. My only regret is not having the joy of getting to know Miss Noble. She is a natural rider like yourself. ” Grace said looking right at Sara then.

Sara cursed Franky for making her so emotional tonight. She hardly knew this old woman and she found herself crying just like Tee-Kay. Valerie was looking on without wiping her face.

 

“I need one last favor from you, Milo Jones. You others bare witness to my last request. I had a long time to think about it. There is a Leather-Wing nesting area not far from here. Milo knows the one I'm thinking of. Take me there and leave me in the bone tree where the old Leather-Wings go to die. ” Grace said and with some help, she rose up from her rocking chair.

Sara only noticed then that Milo Jones was ready for a flight and so was Nightmare. Sara figured it must have been some special night for the kids to gather to have fun. Maybe, get some pointers from the most experienced riders.

 

Grace had to be lifted by the two security guards then they used spare straps to tie her into place. Jones took off soon after into the darkness on the back of Nightmare. Most of the Leather-Wings followed him out.

 

Fur-ball had stayed behind.

 

“I have convinced Fur-Ball to stay, so you can head home. ” Valerie said to Sara.

 

“Thanks. ” Sara said drying her face. The Leather-Wing bay was so quiet now.

 

Sara saw no point in staying and put her helmet back on. She looked back to see Crystal in her office using a handkerchief as she typed away at a computer keyboard. Perhaps making a report on Madam Grace.

 

Tee-Kay and her daughter were walking toward the exit as the Security guards carried the rocking chair back to its old spot. Sara took off into the night and all too soon she arrived home.

 

Sara went to bed early and with Fen at her bedside feeling miserable.

The next day the news feeds mentioned the passing of Madam Grace. Sara learned from the news feeds that Madam Grace was a retired zookeeper from Earth. She left behind two adult daughters and a few grandchildren to come to Eden.

As Sara read on she learned an invitation-only memorial party was to be held in Madam Grace's honor this coming Saturday night.

 

Being Sunday morning Sara had no plans for the day. Between what Franky had said and the recent death of Madam Grace. Sara wasn't in the mood for anything work-related. She wanted a place to be alone for a short while besides being stuck indoors.

 

Then Sara remembered the little beach cove. After packing a lunch she prepared to spend the entire day away.

 

Fen was left to guard her workroom while she took Fur-ball out. Her Leather-Wing seemed to be affected by Madam Grace's passing. His normal eagerness wasn't there when Sara dressed in her flight suit.

 

“I think, we both need a day off in the sun. ” Sara said to him and climbed up to clip herself in.

 

As they came down at the little beach cove her Leather-Wing seemed to perk up. More so when she removed his saddle so he was free to explore the area some more.

 

Sara removed her flight suit and stripped down to her comfortable wet suit. Sara took great pleasure in diving down deep into the water.

 

Fish large and small darted around her while harmless jellyfish floated by. Sea creatures of all sorts crawled or darted on the ocean’s floor.

 

Sara spent some time enjoying exploring the deeper parts using the rocks as handholds. She was wary of any dangerous sea creatures, but it was unlikely any would be here so close to the shore.

 

Sara came back to the surface to discover that she wasn't alone.

 

Two more Leather-Wings had landed and Sara smiled as she saw the riders now stripped of their flight suits.

 

Tee-Kay had all of her children with her. Valerie was stripping down to nothing but bare skin as Sara left the water.

 

Tee-Kay was helping her two youngest children doing the same.

 

“I hope you don't mind if we take a little dip here. It's a lovely spot you have. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara shook her head from side to side.

 

Thomas ran off the moment his clothes were removed and found some seashells to play with.

 

Sara watched with a grin as he made them float in the air. He sat down making them twist and turn in mid-air to his own amusement.

 

“You can thank my husband for that trick. He only recently learned how to juggle to entertain the kids. Thomas has found a better way of doing it. ” Tee-Kay said coming to the water's edge with her youngest daughter on her hip naked as the day she was born. There was a shoulder bag over her other side.

 

“I take it, that it is no accident that you found me here? ” Sara asked.

 

“Your helmet's transponder helped and my daughter's talent of course. My husband is having a get together to honor Madam Grace this coming Saturday night. It's a formal affair with some very important people attending. I have picked you to be my honored guest. Madam Grace was so overjoyed to meet you and Fur-ball. I think, she would have liked for you to attend a party in her memory. Valerie would also like to have you there as well. ” Tee-Kay explained.

 

“I don't have any dresses. ” Sara blurted out and blushed. All her clothes were well-worn farm clothes, a wet suit and the only thing new she had was her flight outfit. And her flight suit doubled as her work uniform.

“That won't be a problem. I'm taking Valerie shopping on Saturday afternoon. She such a tomboy that all her nicest clothes have holes in them. It will be my treat to buy you something in thanks. ” Tee-Kay said with a smile.

 

“I can't let you do that for me. It will be too expensive. ” Sara said thinking she could afford at least one dress on her budget.

 

“Sara, my family is loaded with credits. My own father speaks highly of you. He has told me that you're an extremely remarkable young lady. He has only said that about a few young women like myself. How many riders do you think can almost beat my daughter in a flying race? I can barely beat her and there are few out there who have the experience to come close to me. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara felt honored to hear this from someone like Tee-Kay.

 

“Okay, a token of friendship. ” Sara said and watched as little Ariel reached out for the water.

 

“I got out my bathing suit when I pinged your location. Could you take her into the water for me? I will be there in a moment. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara took the naked baby girl in her arms.

 

Tee-Kay stripped down to a swimsuit she was wearing under her clothes. Sara was getting little Ariel into the water.

 

“Blood-Wing, protect. ” Tee-Kay said to her Leather-Wing as she pointed down at her son.

 

The large Leather-Wing walked over and settled himself down next to little Thomas who was still amusing himself with seashells.

 

Tee-Kay then put on a re-breather over her nose and mouth. The re-breather was a blend of human and Nereid tech. After attaching a strap around her head she gave Sara a thumbs up.

Valerie joined in, but without a re-breather. She was forced to surface from time to time for more air.

 

A good hour passed before they were all exhausted from swimming. As they rested on the sand Sara unpacked her lunch and shared it with the children. They sat there enjoying the warmth of the sun and drying off.

 

“I should get going. ” Sara said now completely dry and slipping on her flight suit.

 

“I think, we will stay awhile. I need to reapply the kid's sunscreen. You enjoy your day off. ” Tee-Kay said as she pulled a bottle a sunscreen out.

 

Sara returned to find a message waiting for her. Lester had already found a builder to start building her new rooms. He left some plans for Sara's personal approval.

 

Sara went into her workroom where she liked to do her thinking. Having Fen there to bounce ideas off helped her.

 

Sara went over them and decided to keep it simple. They split the larger room into two. She liked the idea of having a large master bedroom with an entertainment room next door for guests or possibly long term clients.

 

Sara could almost see the open seated area with plenty of comfortable chairs. If she was lucky maybe spring for a large hologram emitter so she could display her ideas to view at any angle.

 

Sara knew she needed a decent bed and frame. To save on cost Sara decided she would build the frame herself. That way she could add more to it over time.

 

A few days later the builders came and started framing walls. Sara made her request and for what Lester was paying them. He was more then happy to set aside a few boards for her own use.

 

The first room was framed and wired. Sara even had doors now. A nice steel security door with a large adjustable vent that led to the open room next door. On the other side of her bedroom. A heavy wooden door opened onto her soon to be entertainment room for guests or respectable clients.

 

On Friday night Lester had returned to see the progress of the room and to take Sara out for another night on the town.

 

When he mentioned that he was invited to Madam Grace's memorial party.

 

“My father can't make it, so I got the invite instead. Have you been invited yet? ” Lester asked as they toured the shops together. Fine jewelry and dresses were on full display in the cases as they walked around inside.

 

“Yeah. Maybe there is someone special you can take. ” Sara said not meaning to pry into his life. He would be gone in a few weeks after all. She was admiring a violet-blue color gem necklace after they entered the little jewelry store.

 

Lester snapped his fingers and pointed to the necklace.

 

The salesperson came over and looking over Lester's fine clothes and his SABA device. The man opened the case for him and Lester took it from the case.

He presented the necklace with a flourish and Sara was a bit shocked.

 

“Lester, I can't. ” Sara said thinking of the price. Gently, Lester put his hands around her right hand. Sara could feel the stone and metal touching her palm. It felt nice he was holding her hand.

 

“Sara, you are someone special to me. Please. It will look great at the memorial party. ” Lester said smiling. Sara slowly nodded accepting the gift.

 

He pulled away and got a credits card out of his pocket. Sara watched as the salesperson smiled and ran the card. There was a little chime and the salesperson handed the card back.

 

“Do you have a dress picked out? ” Lester asked next putting his card back into his pocket.

 

“I'm getting one with a friend. She is buying it for me as a gift. ” Sara answered.

 

“Don't forget shoes. I hear some very important people will be attending. ” Lester said and they walked out locking arms.

 

They didn't say much heading back to the hotel and started a slow walk around the lake. As it got later in the evening there were fewer people about. Perhaps, all to soon in Sara's opinion they were in front of the hotel's fountains which lit up in array of rainbow colors.

 

“Thanks for the evening out. It's been nice and my necklace is lovely. ” Sara said not sure where they go from here.

 

“Not as lovely as you. ” Lester said caressing her face then leaning in. There were kissing each other and Sara was shocked it came to this so quickly. Lester saw the look on her face and spoke again.

 

“I'm sorry. It was rude of me to kiss you like that. We hardly know each other. ” Lester said breaking contact to stand one step back to give her space.

 

“It's me. I have been a wreck of emotions, lately. You have been great. ” Sara explained and Lester nodded in understanding.

“I will catch you later. ” Lester said with a wink and Sara managed to hide her blush long enough for him to turn away.

 

Sara returned home and went to bed early making sure Freddy got a treat and she saw to caring for Fur-ball as well.

 

The sound of power tools and men talking woke Sara. She was glad she shut and locked her doors last night. She had gone to sleep half-naked in her newly makeshift bed. As Sara yawned she made a mental note to get some decent bedding.

 

Sara got ready and went to her weekly combat class at Miss Sakura's home. She came back with plenty of time to wash and dress in more casual clothes for a day out to shop.

 

She met up with Tee-Kay and her oldest daughter. Tee-Kay picking out dresses and trying them on.

 

It didn't take long to find what they liked and they moved onto shoes next. Tee-Kay knew a place that did different hairstyles.

 

They had an hour before the start time so they went to Tee-Kay's place until then. When It was time they walked to a set of elevators and went upstairs. Stepping off they were greeted by a security team doing checks on everyone.

 

Sara found herself being body scanned then patted down for any weapons by a female woman who was very friendly. They confirmed her ID by scanning her face then handed her a small black badge pin in the shape of a Leather-Wing.

 

“Sorry for all of this. I forgot to warn you. ” Tee-Kay said to Sara.

 

Sara got her first look at the Over-Watch dining area. For the event, the lights were dimmed down a bit and there were areas roped off. Large poster size pictures and holograms of Madam Grace were set up on random tables. There was even a memorial table piled high with flowers and wonderful pictures of Madam Grace with various groups of children.

 

The area close to the windows with the ocean view had been set aside for children. There were far more children then Sara expected to see. Valerie excused herself to join them.

 

“Tee-Kay! Glad you could make it. ” A man said and gently escorted the woman away to talk to a group of people not far away.

 

Sara didn't mind being left on her own. She walked the room and kept to herself for the most part. The woman known as Mississippi or Missy to her friends was there. She greeted Sara like an old friend. Missy was wearing a very respectable dress.

 

“Well, sugar. How did your little pet project go? ” Missy asked.

 

“Very well. ” Sara said and explained all she did to improve on Fen's looks. Even mention how he saved her life when a trio of air drones attacked.

 

“That is just incredible. You know, I been thinking about getting a robot companion dog for the kids. I like your idea of using one for protection as well. I understand you do contract jobs? ” Missy asked in her Southern American accent.

 

“It's half of my job. I repair, build, and improve on old designs as well. ” Sara said feeling more at ease now she could talk shop.

 

“I can pay you for the labor. You ever heard of a coon hound dog? ” Missy said digging into her purse to pull out a slightly faded picture of a very freckled face little girl with a blue tick hound. Sara had seen this type of dog before back on one of the farms. The little girl had to be Missy when she was a child.

 

“Poor old Duke died. Before I came here with my family. I'm away for long periods of time and it would be nice knowing we had a good dog around. ” Missy said and Sara put the picture in her newly bought purse that was empty for the most part.

 

“It will take me a few weeks to finish it. I will talk to my friends about doing another pet project. ” Sara said pleased she scored some future income.

 

“Let me introduce you around. There isn't a person, I don't know here. ” Missy said with a wink. Missy gently took Sara's arm to do some meet and greet.

 

Sara was so nervous to be introduced to the council members that were there. Eve the android was so human-like in her mannerisms that Sara had to mentally remind herself she was talking to an android.

 

The Nereid councilwoman was nice enough, but seem to dismiss Sara seconds after meeting her. The man beside her was a person she knew on sight even if she never met him in person.

 

“A pleasure to meet you, Miss Sara Noble. My name is Mark Kain. Perhaps you heard of my newly opened restaurant here in Alpha City; Kain's Kick-Ass Chicken. you're that new girl with that little Leather-Wing. ” Kain said as a fact.

 

“It's a real honor to meet Mariana's adopted father, sir. ” Sara said not believing her luck.

 

“Don't be calling me sir and such. Mister Kain will do. If you must be formal. I'm a simple man who has retired from law enforcement and enjoys spending my free time with my Leather-Wing, Reaper. When I'm not stepping in for Mariana's place for parties. You can find me in front of a stove making the best chicken on Eden. You bring someone special for a meal sometime. ” Kain said with a friendly wink and handed a card to Sara.

It was a free meal card for two.

 

“Thank you. ” Sara said placing the card into her purse next to Missy's picture.

 

“Easy on the charm Kain or I will tell your wife. ” Milo Jones said stepping up and Sara watched as they shared a handshake that was more of a contest of strength.

 

“Raising chickens making you soft, Kain? ” Jones asked and Kain had to really focus.

 

“Okay, boy. You win. Damn, your younger age. ” Kain said with a good nature tone breaking contact and giving Jones a good pounding pat on the back.

 

Sara knew from all she read and learned they were old friends.

“I'm glad, I caught you two. All riders to the second floor. ” Jones said and gestured.

Sara saw the man known as Brutus was standing guard to the stairs that led up to a second level of the dining area.

 

“Brutus. ” Jones said as they passed by him. Sara saw he had a little smile on his face for Jones and gave a respectful nod to her.

A small crowd was already up here and Sara saw a few faces she knew. Tee-Kay, Crystal, Kevin, and Valerie were sitting together. Sara joined them admiring the detailed table which featured carvings out of a book that Sara knew well.

 

“I believe that's everybody. ” Jones said looking around and nodding to a person who was holding a video camera. Sara figured that the rider holding the camera was doing a live broadcast to other riders who were far away.

 

“I thought, we should have a rider's meeting only before I give my big speech. I came here from Earth and by some miracle. I managed to become a Leather-Wing rider. It wasn't easy at first and along the way, I fell in love with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Madam Grace helped me in popping the big question and I have always considered her more than a friend. To me, she was a grandmother like figure. If coming off stern at times. ” Jones said and got a few chuckles from the others.

 

“I think it would be nice if we went around and shared what we like best about Madam Grace or what she meant to you. Now, if you don't wish to speak that's your choice. ” Jones said and Tee-Kay was next to stand up.

 

“I met Madam Grace at a young age. To me, she was like a second mother and the best teacher a rider could ask for. ” Tee-Kay said wiping at her eyes a little.

Valerie rose up next.

 

“Madam Grace always let me spend as much time as I liked with the Leather-Wings. She showed me that you don't have to be gifted to truly understand them. ” Valerie said with her purple eyes getting a bit watery. She leaned into her mother who hugged her.

 

“Madam Grace was a mother, grandmother, and father rolled into one for me. She took a shy little girl into her home and heart to raise like a daughter. Under her care and teaching, I went from being Jones's ward to his boss. ” Crystal said and Jones gave her a respectful nod when she looked at him.

Then Dallas slowly rose up to speak.

 

“Besides my wife. I never met another finer woman who put up with all my faults. ” Dallas said and Sara saw a few surprised faces.

 

Kevin jumped up from his seat.

 

“She helped me with the death of my parents. I love her for that. ” Kevin said getting up as he said it. There were tears streaming down his face. Somehow he seemed so brave at that moment Sara had to dab a little at her eyes. Crystal hugged him and said something to him in a whisper.

 

Sara stood up next to take attention away from Kevin.

 

“I only knew Madam Grace for a short time. In the brief time that I talked with her. She helped me overcome my fear of heights. I wish, I had more time to get to know her. ” Sara said and saw she was greeted with warm smiles.

 

Others stood up and spoke. Sara sat back down to listen to short stories or praise for the old woman.

 

Afterward, Jones met with everyone by the stairs before they left to eat then mingle some more. A few stayed behind to compose themselves before re-joining the larger crowd below.

As Sara got closer to the stairs she saw that Jones was taking something out of a box that had been left on a table. Oddly enough they look like drink coasters. As she drew closer she saw labeled names on each.

 

Sara stepped up and Jones gave her a big smile.

 

“As you know, I was with Madam Grace in her final hours. She told me meeting you and Fur-Ball was one of the best things ever. ” Jones said and handed Sara a small hologram emitter.

 

The coaster size emitter could be used to record a face in full detail or short 3D hologram video.

 

Sara stepped aside and pushed the button to start the mini emitter.

 

Someone had recorded the first meeting between Madam Grace and Fur-Ball. There was no sound, but it was clear from Madam Grace's facial expressions she was happy. Sara watched with a smile as Grace walked right up to Fur-Ball to coo to him then pet him.

There was pure joy in the woman's eyes.

 

Sara still smiling put it away into her new purse then she descended the stairs. Sara just loaded up her plate with food when Lester showed up. He was in line just behind her.

 

“I'm happy you could make it. ” Lester said and together they got a private table.

They ate their food with polite small talk between them. Lester did sit close enough to Sara so there was little doubt they were a couple now. Elder Knight passed near the table and gave Sara a friendly smile.

 

Jones soon stepped onto a little raised stage. Everyone fell into silence as he took up a standing position in front of a podium. To his right and behind him there were a series of TV monitors arranged so their sides touched each other. This created one big screen as a result.

“First off, I like to say thank you for coming. Including those unable to make it that have joined us via a live stream. Madam Grace was truly a wonderful woman. ” Jones said and the screen showed various images of her throughout her life at different ages.

 

“She wasn't the only person we lost this year. Several of our fellow citizens, riders, and some of the Leather-Wings died during the terrorist attack. Including myself and my wife, many others were badly injured as well. While the lucky ones with physical wounds recovered in time. The emotional and mental damage will take far longer to overcome. I ask you to join me in a moment a silence for the fallen before we move on to more joyful news. ” Jones said and looked at the screens as faces appeared including a few children. Slowly the images changed to adults and Leather-Wings were now being displayed.

 

Sara sniffed a little seeing the toddler's mother on the screen right next to an image of her father. Others dabbed at their eyes spotting loved ones or friends they lost. The silence went on for a full minute before the images slowly faded away to a black screen.

 

“Now, if my old friend and the Queen's stand-in for this event would join me on stage. ” Jones said and Sara watched as Mark Kain walked onto the stage to applause.

 

“Mark Kain like a very rare few is an honorable rider. He has served in the Earth's military force to being the former sheriff of Freetown. A somewhat colorful character at times he has always done the right thing. It is my honor to present him to all of you tonight. ” Jones said and step back to let his friend take center stage.

 

“Sadly, my little Mariana couldn't make it tonight. Her duties as queen called her away from this event. I'm happy to announce in honor of Madam Grace. A new Leather-Wing sanctuary has been set up on an island near Freetown. Joining us live over the network is Eric Vale and Cindy Port to tell you all the rest. ” Kain said and everyone's attention went to the flat-screen monitors as they changed.

 

“It's a real honor to be addressing all of you, tonight. A while back my team was sent out on a dangerous mission beyond the deep jungle and close to the Wendigo lands. Some months ago, a rare and once thought to be extinct Leather-Wing showed up on a rice farm after a hurricane had hit the area. On the very day he was discovered, he bonded with a young teenage girl. As my medic, Cindy Port stayed behind to train the new honorable rider. My team stayed in the area to help others. In my free time, I submitted the request that we go looking for more Eastern Fur-balls. I will let my fellow rider Cindy Port tell the rest. ” Eric Vale said and moved out of the frame of the camera.

Cindy Port came into view as she took a seat in front of the camera.

“We searched for weeks on end and had a few close calls along the way. Working on clues, we discovered a tucked away fjord just south of the mountain range. ” Cindy Port and her face disappeared as a new point of view from a helmet camera could now be seen.

 

It was day time and as the rider directed the Leather-wing over the insanely large jungle trees something could be seen in the distance. Other riders on Leather-Wings flew past and slowly the distant shapes turned out to be smaller Leather-Wings.

 

“As you can see we discovered a nest of Leather-Wings known as the Eastern Fur-balls species. We spent weeks gaining their trust and living among them getting a headcount. During this time an island sanctuary was being prepared. Once we felt we gained their trust and for the smaller Leather-Wing's safety. They were moved using special aircraft. ” Cindy Port said next her voice coming over the speakers as the monitor images changed to show Leather-Wings being hit by tranquilizer darts then airlifted away.

 

The video feed changed again to show them waking up in their new home with food at the ready. A few monitors changed showing Leather-Wings checking out their new surroundings. The final images ending with a brood of baby Leather-Wings flying about among Eric's team.

 

“Before we sign off for some well-deserved rest. I like for all of you to give a big applause for my team coming live from The Madam Grace Sanctuary. ” Cindy said and the monitors changed again to show four people now in the camera's view.

 

The clapping rose and slowly died away after a good thirty seconds.

 

Sara couldn't be sure, but she thought Cindy gave her a personal wave just before the monitors went dark.

 

“For those interested in helping donations can be made and volunteers are always welcomed. I'm proud to say Kain's Kick-ass Chicken is already a proud sponsor. ” Kain said and the monitors displayed the information needed for anyone to make a donation or just ask about volunteering. Kain moved aside as Jones retook the podium.

 

“Please enjoy the rest of the evening. ” Jones said and walked off the stage with Kain as the music gently played over the speakers once more.

 

Sara copied the information into her SABA device thinking one day she would make a few donations when she could afford it.

 

“Miss Noble, may I have a private word with you? ” Mrs. Maki Riko asked and Sara looked at Lester who nodded then left the table. Mrs. Maki Riko taking his seat.

“Nice to see you here. ” Sara said recalling the woman's face in the crowd, but didn't get a chance to say hi.

 

“I wish this was a more friendly meeting. There was an incident at your warehouse earlier today. A tech who was hired to install some hologram emitters attempted to break into your workroom. After installing the ceiling emitters, he hacked his way past your workroom lock where he met with your guard dog. His screams and attempted attacks with a cattle taser soon drew the attention of the android known as Joy. We were alerted right away and made the arrest. The man in question will need at least two weeks to heal. To my personal regret, we seized your robot guard dog known as Fen as evidence in the case. You have my personal promise that no harm will come to him. We merely needed to clean him up and download the video files from tonight. Fen at the moment is not allowing us to access his systems. We could brute force our way into his memory files after getting a judge's warrant, but I believe you're our best chance in accessing those files. I left my most trusted Peace Keepers guarding your workroom. ” Mrs. Maki Riko explained and Sara took it all in.

 

“Do I need to go with you, right now? ” Sara asked

 

“If you wish, but Sunday morning or afternoon will be as good. ” Mrs. Riko said getting up.

 

“I will come by in the morning. Was the man a thief? ” Sara asked curious to know his motive.

 

“We believe that he was hired to do a bit of company espionage. A large some of credits was recently deposited into his personal bank account. So far, he is not talking and has lawyered up. He is not getting out of the breaking and entering or property damage charges. A few months doing prison work in the mines up North may change his mind into taking a plea deal. Please, have a nice evening. ” Mrs. Riko said leaving Sara to her thoughts.

 

Sara had a fair idea of what he was after and silently blessed Fen for being a good guard dog.

A short time later most of the children left with their parents. Sara and Lester like a few other couples took a walk around the running track enjoying the view.

 

“That dress and necklace go well together. ” Lester said commenting.

 

“Thanks. ” Sara said and they paused to overlook the city below.

 

“Beautiful. ” Lester said.

 

“Normally it is at night. ” Sara said and turned to him noticing he wasn't looking at the city below, but at her.

 

Leaning in he wrapped his arms around her waist. Sara felt her heartbeat increased and tilted her own head for a kiss.

 

Heat rose up from her body and Sara recalled the few times she was personally involved with other boys from one of the farms. It was nothing like this.

 

“I think, I should take you out more. There are so many places to eat and see in Alpha city. ” Lester said and Sara agreed.

 

They ended the evening with Sara getting a ride from Lester back to her place. They exchanged one long kiss before he left.

 

Chapter 16: Duke

 

Sara saw a pair of Peace Keepers standing guard in front of the warehouse. Two more were inside sitting on folding chairs just outside her workroom.

 

Her workroom door had been sealed with police tape. Sara was amazed by the area that was covered by bloodstains just outside the door. Including the little landing on the stairs.

Sara thought Fen must have damn near taken the man's leg off.

 

“Don't worry about that mess, miss. We have got a cleanup crew coming in the morning and we will be here to stand watch. ” One PeaceKeeper said and Sara nodded then went into the entertainment room.

 

Looking over her head she saw the emitters had been expertly installed. Sara moved on into her new bedroom to undress then hit the bed for some much-needed sleep.

 

Sara woke up on Sunday and dressed with two goals in mind. Fix her workroom door then get her dog back.

 

Stepping out of the entertainment room she found a new pair of Peace Keepers enjoying some morning coffee. One was a female Nereid and the other was a human male.

 

“Morning miss. The assistant chief said to make sure you weren't disturbed. It's been quiet all night. No one has been inside your workshop either. We have standing orders on that. ” The male PeaceKeeper said.

 

“Thank you. Hopefully, no one else will try any more company espionage. ” Sara said walking into the workroom feeling strange with Fen absent.

 

Sara checked the computer logs and double-checked the security features to see if any breach occurred. She found no proof nothing had been copied or even accessed. Sara did a quick check to confirm the hidden info drive was still in place.

 

Sara grabbed a few tools and went to work on the outside door security panel. This time she linked it with her SABA device then rigged it to send an alarm to her SABA.

 

She would get a notification anytime the door was opened. The Peace Keepers left her to the task.

 

“Miss, the cleaning crew is here. I will keep a sharp eye on them. ” The male PeaceKeeper said and Sara could hear voices of others coming their way.

 

“That's fine. I'm heading to the station now to get my guard dog back. ” Sara said and left her tool bag in the entertainment room.

 

Sara arrived at the local station and after filing her reason for being there had to wait a while.

A Peace Keeper tech named Owen showed up to introduce himself. Then, he showed Sara into a back room where her guard dog waited on a table. The room appeared to be used for extracting computer data.

 

“I understand you made him yourself? ” Owen asked.

 

“I had help. ” Sara said keeping her answer simple.

 

“Impressive work. I used to work on the old Fen models. As you can see, I have removed all blood stains and cleaned his teeth of any flesh for evidence. The DNA is a solid match to our thief. Slam dunk there, so he can't deny being there since his blood was found just inside the threshold. It's my understanding you will allow me to copy video files from that night? ” Owen asked.

 

“Yes. Fen. You have my permission to copy and upload all video files from that night after I left. ” Sara said and watched as a sped-up video appeared on her SABA device then on the Tech's computer screen. Then it played at the moment Fen attacked.

 

Sara watched as the thief almost entered the room only to get a serious case of ankle bite from steel teeth. There was screaming, electric crackle and a lot threshing about.

 

Once the man was down a mist of mace hit his face and he screamed even more. Then Fen went in for the cattle prod snapping it in half with his teeth.

 

The man was cursing and begging for help by this point in the video. Some time had passed before two PeaceKeepers showed up.

 

The thief making up some story that he had been attacked by a rogue robot dog. One PeaceKeeper looked at the blood and then noticed the security panel had been tampered with.

 

When questioned about it the thief went quiet and asked for medical treatment.

 

Sara watched as he was handcuffed then the other PeaceKeeper wrapped his ankle. Fen having stepped back to prove he wasn't a threat to them. When ordered to do so he followed them out. The last part of the video showed more Peace Keepers coming up the stairs. The video ended there.

 

“Clearly, he entered the room without permission and bypassed your security panel to do so. I feel that I have all I need. Sign here and Fen is free to leave with you. ” Owen said handing her a computer tablet and Sara did so.

 

“One more thing, Miss Noble. It's not exactly illegal, but Fen's secondary internal weapon system is questionable. May, I ask where you got it from? ” Owen asked and Sara knew he must have seen that kind of weapon before.

 

“Salvage rights. Fen dragged it out of the river. ” Sara said with a smile.

 

“I do seem to recall a report of a trio of drones attacking a girl. Only two drones were ever recovered. Well, finder's keepers then. ” Owen said with a wink. Showing that he approved of her decisions.

 

Sara smiled and Owen escorted her out with Fen in tow.

 

There was a smell of fresh paint and cleaning products when Sara returned to the second floor of the warehouse. Thankfully, everyone was gone and only a pair of Peace Keepers were outside. Sara spent the rest of the day checking Fen's systems for tampering then relaxing.

The next workday she arrived early to find Lisa and Helen scrolling through a tablet.

 

Sara approach seeing they wanted her to come over. Sara wanting to discuss making another robot pet with them.

 

“You two do make a nice looking couple. ” Lisa said with a wink. Sara looked at the tablet seeing various photos from a news story about Madam Grace's memorial party.

 

Two of the pictures featured showed Lester and Sara. They were sitting together in the first picture and the second one had them near the windows enjoying the view. The picture caption reading “Even in a tragic loss love springs. ”

 

“So, have you two had a bit of fun yet? ” Helen asked with a giggle.

 

“No.,” Sara said blushing. Sara could recall the minor flings she had with farm boys from her old stomping grounds. This felt so different.

 

“Hey. ” Ashley or just Ash said as she came to stand in the meeting area.

 

“Hey Ash, we were just discussing the latest romance gossip. ” Lisa said and Ashley came over to have a look.

 

“He is cute. Is it serious? ” Ash asked.

 

“We haven't jumped in the sack, yet. ” Sara answered feeling more at ease.

 

“By the way. I got some new computer security protocols that I created to increase our network defenses. I heard someone try to break into your workshop room. I got a friend who is a Peacekeeper. Goes by Owen. ” Ash said.

 

Sara took the tablet and saw lines of code for her to look over.

 

“So, that is why we got some Peacekeepers just outside. ” Helen said looking toward the direction where the front of the warehouse was. Ashley moved away to sit at her desk then roll back over to them.

 

“Fen took care of him. He may be cute looking, but he makes a good guard dog. Almost took the guy's foot clean off. Speaking of which, I got another pet project lined up. Our client will deliver most of the parts. I need you all to help out again. ” Sara said and watching as they exchange a look.

 

“We got the supplies with us. We got to talking and we wanted to make our spiders more realistic looking. Since they are company property. We need to get approval first. ” Helen said and Lisa nodded.

 

“I will put it to a vote with the other owners. Maybe, we should offer a payment plan so you can buy your spider drone too. ” Sara said thinking it be a good idea if each tech could own their spider drone.

 

“I'm so putting a blank AI core into my spider. Mine is so small and lightweight it can double as a backpack. It would be nice to have the extra protection too. ” Ash said sounding excited.

 

“No offense to Fen or Joy, but I don't fully trust the whole AI thing. I will keep mine simple-minded and under my full control. ” Lisa said.

 

“Fen is cool. We made him together. I'm in for an AI core myself. When I get the money. I have heard you can get some used ones at a cheaper price. ” Helen said looking at Sara knowing where she got hers. Sara had told her when they had been making Fen.

The rest of the employees showed up having shared the same public bus. Franky perhaps driving now.

 

Lisa and Helen were all for the idea of making the spider drones more real looking. Franky muttered something to Helen and went straight to his desk.

 

Sara saw he had his tablet with him and she could make out the same story displayed on the screen about the memorial party.

 

“Well, he is in a mood. ” Helen said coming back to the circle.

 

“Trouble in paradise, Helen. Franky is just jealous of Sara and Lester. I have seen the way he looks at her. ” Lisa said in a low voice Sara and Helen could only hear.

 

“Like the way you gawk at Luke. ” Helen said with a giggle and Lisa playfully pushed Helen and looked over at Luke. Sensing their eyes on him he smiled at Lisa.

 

“Why don't you ask him out, already? ” Sara asked Lisa, but It was Helen who answered.

 

“She scared too. She will flirt with him all day, but neither one of them will ask the other out. The whole; I'm a Nereid and he is just a plain old human deal. So, what if he can't breathe underwater. ” Helen said in a low voice to Sara and Lisa. Perhaps Ash could hear, but she was going over something on her work tablet. Lost in her own little world.

Before they could discuss it further Mr. Cope arrived with Joy at his side.

 

There were the normal greeting and everyone's assignments transmitted to their devices.

Sara broke the normal routine by catching up with him and arranging a company meeting. Then, told him what she wanted to discuss.

 

“Hmm, We can handle the basic maintenance on the spider drones. Any additions will be the tech's responsibility. Yes, we can further reduce the cost to us by having them charge them at home too. I will arrange a meeting tomorrow at lunchtime. ” Mr. Cope said and Joy took down his idea into her own tablet typing away at a pace few people could do.

Sara nodded and went off to do a day's work. Sara did get a new message from Mississippi putting in an order for a custom job on a robot pet. Parts to be delivered later.

 

Things went the same the next day until lunchtime. Sara returned in time for the meeting now held in her entertainment room. Mr. Cope and Lester in comfortable chairs looking around with interest.

 

Elder Knight coming to them via hologram call again.

 

“A fine room for clients to come up too. ” Mr. Cope said to start the meeting.

“Or down, if they come from the landing pad. ” Lester said referring to the stairs just outside of the door.

 

“I will have to come by sometime. Hard to see it all via hologram. ” Mr. Knight said appearing to be sitting across from them. Mr. Cope was first to speak business.

 

“I like this idea of techs buying their spider drones. This means less money for us to charge them and they can alter them for their own needs. We will handle the basic repairs, of course. All else will fall on the tech to do. ” Mr. Cope said giving his vote.

 

Elder Knight and Lester voted as well and just like that it was approved.

 

“I looked over Ashley's code work. So far it would increase our network security. ” Sara said speaking up.

 

“Miss Noble, I don't know if we can trust Miss Ashley Combs. Nothing was ever proven, but she was or still is a computer hacker. Your father knew of her colorful history and hired her anyway. ” Mr. Cope said. It was Elder Knight who spoke up next.

 

“I had a friend look over Ashley's work. He called it brilliant and found nothing that would affect network security in a bad way. In fact, he wanted me to ask if we can outsource her. If the young lady agrees, I'm all in for it. ” Knight said and Mr. Cope waved his hand to say okay.

 

“I trust Sara's judgment and we will have Joy scan it as well if there is a problem. ” Lester said then Mr. Cope took over the conversation.

 

“A fine idea. As you all know, we had a bit of suspected company espionage. The very man who had installed the hologram emitters. Was caught breaking into Miss Noble's workroom. No doubt to steal her secrets on improving current drones or to get designs on past projects. Sara's robot guard dog prevented him from getting any further then the door's threshold. Perhaps, we should consider more robot guard dogs in the future. After the next budget quarter of course. ” Mr. Cope said putting it down for later discussion.

 

“Peace Keepers tend to sell their old models through auctions. We can always buy from them. ” Mr. Knight said and Mr. Cope made a little note on his tablet.

 

A video window opened on Sara's tablet alerting her of an incoming call. Sara saw it was from Joy.

 

She accepted it then turning the volume down a little.

 

“A woman by the name of Mississippi is arriving by the landing pad. ” Joy said and Sara told Joy she would go up and meet her.

 

“Our meeting is done. Any new business?” Mr. Cope asked and everyone left after no one spoke.

 

Mr. Cope was the first to leave right after Mr. Knight's hologram image disappeared.

Lester caught her at the stairs landing before she could go up the rest of the way.

 

“We will go out this evening. ” Lester said and Sara agreed. He left by the stairs going down while she went up.

 

The aircraft came down minutes later and appeared to be too big to land. Instead, it's ramp lowered and there was Mississippi herself with a large container in both hands.

 

Whoever was flying the ship was damn good as they kept it steady. Missy came down the ramp and soon stood in front of Sara.

 

Sara saw the woman was wearing an oval shape earpiece.

 

“I'm clear. I will call for a pick up in a few. ” Missy said in her southern American accent.

Together they carried the large container down the stairs and into her workroom.

 

“Oh, that's your robot dog. He is cute. ” Missy said careful not to get too close to him. Fen was quietly sitting in the corner watching Missy.

 

“Fen. This is Missy. We are going to build another robot dog for her. ” Sara said and watched as Fen suddenly got more friendly.

 

“Wow, he looks so real and acts like it. ” Missy said petting him and looking closer at his eyes then his teeth.

 

Sara opened the container and saw this model was different. There was no damage and the robot dog appeared to be taken apart. Sara noticed the PeaceKeeper logo on its body.

 

“What kind of model is this? ” Sara asked taking the head out seeing it was larger then Fen's head.

 

“Sniffer model, sugar. Retired, so they could roll out the newer model. I got a friend in the force and he happily repaid his debt to me. It only cost me one credit since I was the only bidder. ” Missy explained with a shoulder nudge and Sara smiled at that.

 

“Give me a week maybe two. I will get my friends in on this. ” Sara said eager to start another pet project.

 

“Honey, make it two weeks. I want him to be a perfect copy on the outside. I will teach him the rest. You can even name him Duke. ” Missy said and Sara loaded up the 3D image of the picture she scanned. Then Sara return the picture to Missy.

 

“That's a spitting image of him. I will let you get to work and I will see myself out. ” Missy said nodding at the hologram image then leaving the workroom taking a left to head upstairs.

0