Eden 02: Chapter 19-Epilogue Sara Noble
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19: Trap

 

Perhaps thirty minutes into her flight she spotted a ship with smoke coming from the lower deck.

 

There was a weak garbled message for mayday coming over the general comm channels.

Sara wasn't sure what she could do to help, but maybe she could get each crew member to the shore if needed.

 

As Sara was coming down for a landing on the ship's deck. She was hit by pain in both of her ears. Fur-Ball screeching and thrashing his head from side to side.

Sara then spotted a Nereid holding a sonic gun that looked like a laser rifle with a radar dish on the end. He had been hiding waiting for her to land.

 

Nereids with ear protection swarmed over Fur-Ball and Sara did her best to fight them off, but in the end, her straps were cut and she was wrestled off of Fur-Ball.

 

The Nereids went to work and Sara now noticed one big net was being hauled up from the ship's decking so Fur-Ball looked like the catch of the day.

 

Mr. Leo appeared not so well dressed as before, but better then his crew mates.

 

Sara found her helmet removed and her ears ringed a little, but her helmet had protected her from the worse of the sonic attack.

 

Sara watched as Mr. Leo went to Fur-Ball and spotted the sword sticking out from the saddlebags. He drew it out admiring the blade then came over to where she was being forced to kneel down.

 

“Fitting, don't you think. Nothing like a good beheading by your own blade. But, first I want to see you suffer. ” Mr. Leo said with a look of mad grief in his eyes and motioned something to the crew.

 

Sara watched as they swung the crane out over the water. Fur-Ball was now dangling over the seawater.

 

“Please don't. Do you want to know your son's last words? ” Sara asked as she half screamed it.

 

Mr. Leo paused and walked closer to her.

 

“He asked for forgiveness and I gave it to him. He even told me that he loved me. ” Sara said trying to break through his mad grief.

 

“Well, I don't forgive you. ” Mr. Leo said then gave the signal for Fur-Ball to be dropped into the ocean and Sara let out a primal screamed as her Leather-Wing disappeared from sight.

Sara felt the tip of her new sword at her chin and Mr. Leo was standing over her.

 

There was a smile on his face as he raised it up. Then the ship rocked hard to one side and Mr. Leo was knocked off his feet along with everyone else. Sara's sword sliding away from him.

Getting up Sara made sure to give the guy holding the sonic gun a good solid kick to the face then took his weapon. She aimed it at the rest of the crew as a massive serpent-like head rose from the water.

 

In the creature's teeth holding the netting was Fur-Ball. Her Leather-Wing was dumped back onto the deck. Most of the netting now cut loose from his body as Sally the Sea Serpent had used her sharp teeth to free him.

 

He reared up looking seriously pissed at the crew members.

 

“Fur-Ball, over here. Protect. ” Sara ordered and watched as her Leather-Wing came to stand beside her.

 

The ship's crew and Mr. Leo's attention was now divided between a Sea Dragon, pissed off Leather-Wing, and a teenage rider holding a sonic weapon on them.

 

A wooden crate near a crew member exploded then there was a cracking sound of a sniper rifle having fired a single round. Two teams of Leather-Wings and riders came down with weapons at the ready. Behind Sara, she could hear a troop airship coming down for a landing. Men in armor filing out to take the lower decks.

“You bitch. ” Mr. Leo said now figuring it out.

 

“Yeah, I used myself as bait. By the way. That's Sally the Sea Serpent. ” Sara said quickly glancing at the Sea Dragon before returning her full attention to Mr. Leo.

 

Sara watched as the crew and Mr. Leo were arrested then forced onto the waiting airship. Their arms now cuffed behind their backs.

 

“I believe this belongs to you. ” Tee-Kay said handing Sara her sword back. Sara put it back where it belonged.

 

Valerie and Talon showed up next. Valerie looking from Sally then over at Fur-Ball.

 

“I got Fur-Ball to calm down some more. Believe it or not, but he is thankful for Sally's help. Mostly for not eating him. ” Valerie said with a little smile after removing her helmet.

 

“She has my thanks too. I'm just happy my plan worked. Although, Fur-ball taking a swim was a little unexpected. ” Sara confessed.

 

“I was a second away from blowing a hole in his chest. I swear my heart stopped when he raised that sword up. ” Tee-Kay said and motioned that Sara should keep the sonic rifle. Sara did so storing it away into Fur-Ball's saddlebag.

“Come meet Sally. ” Valerie said and Sara followed her.

 

Sara waited for a few silent seconds as Valerie mentally spoke with Sally. Then the Sea Dragon leaned in close to Sara. Sara slowly reached out a hand and touched one of the creature's scale while keeping eye contact.

 

“Thank you. You are beautiful. ” Sara said looking into the Sea Dragon's eye and noticing the iridescent scales.

 

“She likes your eye patch. ” Valerie said and Sara blushed a little. Milo Jones had given it to her just before the ceremony. It had been shaped and laser etched to look like a Sea Serpent. He had told her it made her look more badass.

 

“It might cost me my college fund, but be sure I will have a boatload of your favorite fish for you soon. ” Sara said and trusted Valerie to relay the message. Sara watched as the Sea dragon slowly sank back into the water. The airship took off with its prisoners and Sara returned to Fur-Ball's side.

 

“Miss Noble, you're clear to take-off. I have used my spare straps to replaced your cut ones. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara nodded thankfully as the older woman returned her helmet as well.

 

“I take it there will be an aircraft shadowing me home? ” Sara asked.

“Of course. I doubt you will run into trouble, now. I suspect Mr. Leo is the top leader of Deep Water. ” Tee-Kay said and Sara climbed on Fur-Ball's saddle to finally go to her family.

 

Arriving at the farm Sara noticed a fancy looking car in the driveway. It even had a driver waiting nearby.

 

Sara decided she land behind the house and come through the back door. Her adopted brothers and sisters were waving from a rice field along with her adopted grandma.

 

Sara removed her helmet and undid Fur-Ball's saddle. Here, he was free to roam and feast on the large water beetles or the fish in the lake.

 

Sara figured some reporter or local mayor was inside waiting for her. Perhaps interviewing her family at this very moment.

 

Sara froze as she stepped through the back doorway to see Queen Mariana there sitting at the head of the table. Sara let her travel bag fall at her feet.

 

“Hello, Sara Noble. A real pleasure to finally meet you. ” Mariana said and Sara watched as a chair was pushed away from the table as Mariana used her gift to move it.

 

“Queen Mariana. ” Sara said and gave her a respectable bow. When Sara raised her head back up there were amused smiles from the steward and Sara's mother. Sara quickly took a seat and couldn't believe that Mariana was here in her home.

 

“By the way, I love your room. I wish that I could leave my own room messy like that. your mother and adopted grandpa have given me the full tour. It's my understanding you're not related to them, but you considered the other children your brothers and sisters. Like one big happy family. ” Mariana said and Sara felt slightly embarrassed the Queen had seen her messy room.

 

“Yeah, we all moved in around the same time. ” Sara answered.

 

“Can you stay for dinner? ” Sara's mother asked and Sara just now noticed the wonderful smell of cooking food.

 

“I would be honored too under one condition. I must insist everyone wear casual clothes. Afterward, there is something very important I must ask Sara. ” Mariana said.

 

“I will go change now. ” Sara said getting up and grabbing her travel bag.

Thankfully, Sara had packed some of her nicer clothes and wore something that wasn't too out of place for farm work. These were fairly new and comfortable.

 

Sara wasn't shocked to see nearly everyone else in their nicest clothes as well. Perhaps the most recently bought work clothes. They all sat down and after a while, everyone relaxed around Mariana. Mariana even wanted pictures taken with her and made Joey blush a deep red color when she planted a kiss on his cheek in one picture.

Sara knew instantly she would make that picture one of her favorites.

Toward the end of dinner, when the excitement had settled down. Mariana gently tapped on her now empty glass for everyone's full attention. Sara noticed the Steward had pulled out his smartphone to start recording.

 

“Miss Sara Noble, Protector of Eden, Leather-Wing Rider, Expert in drone repairs, and humble rice farmer. It's been my personal honor to be welcomed into your family's home and share a meal. As you know, we have recently taken in a group of Leather-Wings known as the Eastern Fur-Ball species. In time, others may become Leather-Wing riders under my command. If you so desire it, may I give you the honorary title as the first official rider of The Winged Guardians? ” Mariana asked pulling a pin badge from her pocket which was shaped like a round shield with a Leather-Wing etched onto it.

 

“Yes, I would be honored. ” Sara said after getting up slowly and smiled as Mariana pinned the badge to her shirt.

 

“I give you the task you to visit the Madam Grace Sanctuary at your own leisure and live your life as a shining beacon of hope for all the people of Eden. ” Mariana said and smiled warmly at Sara. There was clapping from everyone and Mariana announced she had to go, but she did take some dessert with her before leaving. Sara went to bed feeling excited and it was days later before that feeling faded.

 

Sara did take a trip to the Sanctuary where Fur-Ball was reunited with his family. Sara was treated like an honored guest for the days she spent there. After a while, Sara's heart ached for her true home back in Alpha City.

 

The days she spent away from everything had given her time to think and she decided to get a house near where Franky's family lived. Sara would get some extra land for Fur-ball. Sara planned to buy a place with a mixed grove of fruit trees as her little farm.

 

Epilogue:

 

The rainy season was in full swing and Sara could hear it even inside the detention center where she waited on the visitor's side of the glass. The current news story was all about the bi-peddle plant creature who came through the now stable portal when it finally opened back up every twelve hours.

 

So far, the plant creature and his kind proved to be friendly. Thanks to a telepathic Nereid the communication was going smoothly. They had learned the humans of that other world known as Arai had been mostly wiped out by a virus. There were also signs of a war that took place. The plant creatures known as The Gardeners were genetically made to be outdoor servants. Their main purpose in life was to tend to food producing plants and flowers on Arai.

It wasn't long until Mr. Leo sat down just on the other side of the armored glass. His hands and legs chained together. He was dressed in a bright red prison jumpsuit marking him as extremely dangerous.

 

“Thank you, for agreeing to see me. ” Sara said using the little open intercom to talk to him.

 

“Have you come here to gloat after all these months? I was found guilty. ” Mr. Leo asked.

 

“No, I was asked by others to convince you to be more forthcoming with names. It's my understanding that Deep Water is finished. ” Sara said.

 

“Do you know where I'm heading, young lady? Ever heard of The Ice Box? ” Mr. Leo asked and Sara nodded before answering him.

 

“A maximum-security prison in the coldest most Northern part of Eden. Hundreds of miles of ice and snow all around. ” Sara said having read all about it and already seen a few videos about it.

 

“As the saying goes. Why in the hell should I help? ” Mr. Leo said smirking.

 

“For the future, Mr. Leo. I have been assured that it could be the difference between a heated prison cell and one without heat. Who knows what privileges might be offered. ” Sara said next and watched as the man mocked laughed at her.

 

“For the future. My wife died decades ago and my only child is dead. My family's wealth is now in control of my lawyers. You have to do better then that, Miss Noble. ” Mr. Leo said standing up to leave. His chains rattled as he moved. The guards ready to act if there was trouble.

 

“Then do it for your grandchild. ” Sara said standing up then pulled up her shirt to reveal the slight baby bump she had. Until this moment her baggy clothes had hidden it well.

Mr. Leo stared at her pregnant belly for a few stunned seconds before speaking.

 

“Another lie. ” Mr. Leo said and Sara pulled out a piece of paper with a doctor's signature and a hospital logo on it. She pressed it against the glass so he could read it.

 

“I loved your son, Mr. Leo. Enough, that I will give birth and raise his child. Have your lawyers look into if you don't believe me, fully. I have already arranged it so they will have full access to my medical records. Have them run a DNA test against your own blood. Take the deal, Mr. Leo. I will give you my solid promise, that you will get videos and pictures of your grandchild. ” Sara said and watched as the man's face changed. He got to the part where the paper said it was a perfect match for Lester Leo's DNA as the father of the unborn child.

 

Mr. Leo looked into her eyes for the longest time then walked away. Sara had matched his searching stare with her own teary eyes. Raw emotion threatening to take over.

 

It was days later inside her new warehouse right next door to the old one. Mr. Knight walking beside her as they watched workers put together life-like robot pets to their latest brand new line of fantasy pets. The second floor was strictly producing Flight Packs until the demand went down.

“I'm very happy with my Pomsky Robo dog. The extra protection, he provides gives Brutus more free time to fly his aircraft with his latest girlfriend. The grandkids just love how playful the robodog is. Not to mention, how much he looks like a fox. I hear you been contracted for a few jobs from the treasure hunters while they prepare to explore Arai. ” Mr. Knight said.

 

“I can't go into exact details, but yeah. People are eager to start exploring Arai and they need more robust drones to help them. There has to be some people left on that world. I can't believe that they all died from a virus or murdered each other into extinction. ” Sara answered.

 

“The more adventurous people will move to Arai in time. Once the aircrafts are transferred over they will be able to search for survivors from the air. The Gardeners could care less if we establish a colony there. It will become the new Wild West soon enough. ” Mr. Knight said next and motioned his head toward a group of people coming their way. Sara turned her head.

 

Sara watched the lawyers approached her. Some of the lawyers were watching workers repairing and upgrading drones. The lawyers stop walking when they noticed her two newly made guard dogs on each side of Sara. One looked like a Tosa fighting dog and the other a Dobermann built for speed.

 

“Gentlemen and lady. Don't mind these guys. They are people friendly unless you tend to do anyone harm. Tank and Speedy, down. ” Sara ordered and motioned for her robot guard dogs to lay down which they did. Each robot dog wore a doggy vest with Security: Noble Tech printed on them.

 

Mr. Knight excused himself and went on walking down the line to see more of the new building. His gentleman's cane tapping the ground lightly as he walked.

 

Sara invited the lawyers into the employee break room. Sara could tell they were impressed by how nice it was. Sara wasn't worried about her own personal safety. These people would have passed through security. Which was handled by Luke and his good friend Sammy who once was known as The Black Tornado. Sometimes after work hours, Sara had even seen Lisa leaving with the guys locking arms on each side of Lisa as they walked.

 

Once the lawyers settled themselves into seats the head lawyer spoke.

 

“Mr. Leo had us look into your most recent claims. Mr. Franky Dent did submit to a blood test. Once, we confirmed he wasn't the father. Of course, we had Mr. Leo's DNA tested against your medical records already on file. We have assured Mr. Leo, that you are indeed carrying his future grandchild. As a result of these tests. Mr. Leo is naming you and your child the heirs to his family's property and wealth. ” The head lawyer said and pushed a tablet toward Sara.

 

There was a full handprint scanned in and it was signed to show that she was a rich woman now. Sara nodded to show she understood.

 

“Also you now own half the company as well. ” The female lawyer said.

 

“So Mr. Leo is working with the authorities, now? ” Sara asked and watched as the Lawyers looked at each other. It was the head lawyer who spoke next.

 

“Yes, full disclosure on everyone involved that he knows of. Mr. Leo will be protected for the rest of his life. He will also live out the rest of his life in basic comfort at the very least. Even, if he will never be a free man ever again. ”

 

Sara was given some papers to sign and she carefully read over all of them.

 

“Call on us day or night, Miss Noble. We now work for you. ” The lawyer said and handed her several copies of his business card.

 

“See to it, Mr. Leo is placed into a heated prison cell. Also, I will want your personal assurance that he will get any video and pictures I send. I hear that they are upgrading to hologram emitters soon. I see, no reason not to let him talk to his future grandson. ” Sara said.

 

“The hologram calls will be limited and closely monitored. ” The head lawyer said. Sara could tell they had got a hold of her ultrasound scans as well. She had mention grandson and no one even showed any hints of surprise at the news that unborn child was a boy.

 

Sara nodded to show she understood.

 

“One more thing. His name will be Liam Leo Noble. Pass that on to Mr. Leo. ” Sara said and stood up. She shook their hands and watched as they made their own way out of the building.

 

Franky passed them as he came to find Sara. Tank got up to come to Franky's side. Franky gave the big robot dog a good pounding pat on the side. For reasons, Sara couldn't figure out. Tank took more of a liking to Franky then her.

 

“His AI core must be faulty. ” Sara teased looking at Tank then she gave Franky a kiss.

 

“How did the meeting go with the bloodsuckers? ” Franky asked.

 

“Good. Liam's grandpa will be looked after. ” Sara said.

 

“Beats looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life. ” Franky said understanding that was a small part of the reason Sara had done it. Sara also had other people she cared about in her life to protect.

 

“you're okay, with raising his child? ” Sara asked putting a protective hand over her belly.

 

“You loved him and I saw the shame in Lester's eyes. He just made a bad choice. I love you Sara and I will love Liam like a son. ” Franky said taking Sara into his arms.

 

“Come on. I got a free meal card for Kain's Kick-Ass Chicken. I hear the owner is in town this week. ” Sara said feeling very hungry for some fried chicken at that very moment. Sara felt her unborn son kick.

 

The End.

0