Eden Short Story: Regret
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Spoiler Alert: Don't read until you finished the Sara Noble story line.  ]

 

Mr. Leo opened his eyes as the lights slowly came on.

 

As far as prison cells go, he considered himself lucky to have such a cell as his. Even heated the cold still crept into the rooms at all hours of the day. It was design like a small apartment with dividers. The thick armor glass dividers separated each area made to look like ice.

 

Perhaps the designers wanted to remind the prisoners what was beyond the walls. In any direction outside the prison known as the Ice Box was hundreds of miles of snow and ice.

The only way in or out was by air craft and only on days when the weather was good. Any supplies only came every few months if needed. Once the garden levels were finished inside the prison there was almost no need for food to be delivered. Only the staff being rotated out every quarter and the rare prisoner being released ever got to leave the Ice Box.

 

The nearest flight point was a high security military base mostly used to monitor weather this far North. Even the water below the prison was frozen solid for untold miles.

 

Mr. Leo had heard the outer prison cells always had one wall that was freezing cold to touch. No surprise the bed were welded to that wall. Thankfully, Mr. Leo had one of the inner cells that was heated by the prison's power core.

 

Getting out of the bed he threw off the one thermal blanket granted to him. It was thicker then most thermal blankets thanks to the patches over the years. Nereid people could withstand the cold longer then normal, but still felt the bite just the same.

 

After fifty years behind prison walls Mr. Leo had adapted to the cold. He was leaner and shivered less with every year that passed. As he walked passing gray metal panel walls. He soon sat down on a metal chair at a desk made from the same material.

 

The desk area was the only bright spot in all of the rooms. Photos of his grandson throughout the years covered the near wall held up by tape. The printed photos ranged from newborn all the way to the young man he turned out to be. Almost a spitting image of his father, Lester.

 

A brief moment of guilt passed over Mr. Leo has he thought about the past. He almost ended his family's blood line out of grief. Picking up the tablet in it's heavy duty case he powered it on. Linked directly to the prison's library he had full access to almost any book, games, or movies that had been approved.

 

One app was unique since Mr. Leo was the only prisoner allowed to have it. Tapping on it he went over the charity account records. He had started decades ago with help to make up for all the deaths he caused. Under the Lion Charity Foundation, he managed to get sound stock investments.

 

Over a few years, the investments grew and the checks went out to those who lost a love one because of him. These days, he did less consulting and merely checked the numbers to make sure everything was right. Mr. Leo silently hoped and prayed the money did some good. Just maybe, it would make up a tiny bit for the deaths on his hands.

 

Mr. Leo was glancing at the holo sphere on his desk that held the hologram recorded faces of every person who died by his decisions. When a chime sound came from the hidden speakers above him.

 

With a sigh, Mr. Leo got up and walked to a spot in the center of the room. Clearly marked was a red circle with a shield emitters in the floor and above in the ceiling. The lights flashed gently then the shield formed around where Mr. Leo stood.

 

The shield preventing him from moving more then three feet.

 

The door to his prison cell opened as the hatched wheel was spun open from the other side. Two prison guards appeared. Wearing their normal drab uniforms of prison guards.

One guard was new and a young female human. Something about her face reminded Mr. Leo of someone when Rally spoke to him.

 

“You know, there is no need for you to do that. Your the best model prisoner that we have here. ” Rally's voice said as he carried the tray of food into the room. He walked over to the desk to set it down. He carefully set the metal spoon down next to the tray.

 

The female guard by the door kept her hand on her stunner. The only other weapon the guard were allowed to have was the metal baton hanging off her belt.

 

“I don't want you to get use to trusting anyone wearing prison clothes. I'm here for a reason and so are they. ” Mr. Leo answered plucking at his very faded red outfit. Mr. Rally only nodded silently agreeing with Mr. Leo. The red color marking Mr. Leo as extremely dangerous due to his crimes in terrorism.

 

“So, how is the grandson? ” Rally asked in a polite tone. Rally looked up over the pictures. He knew already since part of his job was to monitor all hologram calls to his assigned group of prisoners.

 

“Doing well. He just finished his extended college classes. He wants to start designing the next generation star ships of all things. ” Mr. Leo said with an amused chuckle.

 

“I hear that we are pretty close to learning how to make wormholes. The Techno race have really advanced our space programs. ” Rally said walking over to stand in front of Mr. Leo.

Mr. Leo was nodding when he notice the female guard by the door moving. Her arm movement drew his attention and before he could call out a warning she fired her stunner at Rally. The man fell to the ground limp as a cooked noodle.

 

She stepped into the room closing the hatch door behind her. Mr. Leo watched as she did something to her stunner. She was quick and used only a single tool.

 

A warning light on the side was blinking now. Mr. Leo hazard a guess she tampered with the power output making the weapon very lethal.

 

She walked over to where Rally was and took the control to the shields. Stepping back from Mr. Leo she pushed the button. The shields around Mr. Leo turned off. There was no shield barrier between them now.

 

“I waited a long time for this day. ” The young woman said raising the now lethal stunner at Mr. Leo's head.

 

“Hello, Maddie Thornton. I wasn't sure if that was you until now. ” Mr. Leo said and watched as a shock expression crossed the young woman's face.

 

“How...How did you know? ” Maddie said her hand now shaking a bit.

 

“That holo sphere on my desk has nearly every face of every person I helped murdered. I never did the sinful deed directly, but their blood is on my hands all the same. I made it a point to remember every face and details of every victim over the decades. I can see your mother's features in your face. ” Mr. Leo said in his calm voice.

 

“Don't talk about my mother. Do you have any idea the nightmares I suffered from after that day? I woke up screaming for a mother who never came. The very last living memory that I have of my mother is her blurry bloody face and the sound of my own sobbing. ” Maddie said taking a single step forward.

 

“Then, you should take your revenge and free me from this prison. Every single day, I silently pray for forgiveness and think a lot about my final judgment. If my death will bring you peace then do it. ” Mr. Leo said taking two slow steps forward so the stunner's laser sight now rested right between his eyes.

 

The laser dot dancing as Maddie's hand shook even more. With a hate filled scream she tossed the weapon aside and grabbed her metal baton.

 

Mr. Leo didn't raised his hands as the first blow caught him on the side of his head. Maddie swung again and again. Mr. Leo's jaw fractured with a crack. Some of his teeth coming loose while others broke only part way.

 

“Fight back, damn you to hell! ” Maddie scream as Mr. Leo stumbled back not willing to fight her.

 

Mr. Leo only split out his broken teeth barely standing on his own two feet. Perhaps out of some instinct he had used his arm to block one blow. His arm was clearly broken at his side.

Maddie hit his knee next and Mr. Leo fell backwards. He passed out from the pain or the impact to his head.

 

Maddie stood over him with her baton raised to strike. He was at her mercy now. Looking down at his bloody face she had a flashback of her mother's face.

 

Unlike her nightmares, she could clearly make out details in the memory. As the memory played out she heard herself sobbing. There were screams of people and explosions happening around her. The flashback was clear and Maddie made out the face of her mother perfectly. She was a toddler again pulling on bloody clothes of her mother to wake up. Screaming then begging for mommy to wake up. Somewhere behind her, she heard her father calling for her. A strong arm wrapped around her chest pulling her away from the dead body of her mother.

 

The sudden memory made her drop the baton and looking at her arms she saw spots of blood. The full horror of what she had done had hit her then. She wiped at the blood then went for Rally's comm device. She was on her hands and knees now. Leaving blood spots on everything she touched.

 

“Prisoner needs emergency medical care. Level 13, Cell 9. ” Maddie said sobbing and ignored all calls after that asking for details.

 

Maddie crawled over to Mr. Leo's body crying out “I'm Sorry.” over and over.

 

When the other prison guards and medical staff finally came they found a bloody and badly injured prisoner with Maddie clutching at his shirt as tears fell down her face.

 

Days later, Maddie sat in her holding cell waiting. Currently her hands were chained to the table. She had been cleaned up by a fellow female guard and her bloody guard uniform had been taken away for evidence soon after they found her. She was given her own thermal clothing to wear while she waited for her trial process to begin. Any minute now, one of the guards would come in with at tablet with an open comm line to her lawyer.

 

Maddie had gone into a state of mental shock for the past few days. Once it was clear that she wasn't injured the questions had started. The only thing they could get out of her was the words “I'm sorry”. She kept her head down the entire time since then. Sometimes she cried when they pressed her for answers. In the end, Maddie knew the evidence combined with Mr. Leo's verbal statement would doom her. Maddie wasn't sure if she get a cell here in the Ice Box or hopefully some place warmer.

 

Maddie didn't even react when the door opened and the guard Rally announced she had a visitor. The squeaking of a wheelchair being pushed came next into the room.

 

“Hello Maddie. ” Mr. Leo said in that low calm voice he used before.

 

Maddie's head jerked up to see the swollen face of the man she planned to kill and almost murdered. By now, most of his bones would have fused back together.

 

He smiled weakly and she saw the gaps where his broken teeth had been. Someone must have pulled the broken teeth out. In a few weeks they grow back as good as new. Her eyes then glanced down over the temporary arm cast and the brace on his knee.

 

Mr. Leo being here in her holding room had to be breaking so many prison rules.

 

“Before you say anything on record. I must say that you defended yourself quite well from me. I have no idea where that violent out burst came from. After your stunner malfunction which accidentally hit poor Mr. Rally here. Then Rally's falling body caused the shield control to be switched to the off position. You were forced to defend Rally and your own life from my sudden rage. ” Mr. Leo said and Maddie stared in shock at first until she found her voice.

 

“But, that's not what....” Maddie started to say and jump back a little when Leo's uninjured hand smacked the metal table that she was chained to. Rally jumped a little and went so far to put his hand on his stunner. Then he halted his hand from moving any more.

 

“That's what happen, Miss Thornton. I have already confessed and my grandson's mother. Mrs. Noble, The owner of Noble Tech has already got a powerful law firm backing your defense against me. ” Mr. Leo 's voice changed to a very stern tone.

 

Slowly, Maddie nodded her head now understanding. Mr. Leo then took his hand into hers. The hand contact was yet another prison rule being broken. Rally was looking straight ahead now at the wall pretending not to notice. Maddie had a feeling if asked by anyone he claim to gone deaf to everything being said in this room.

 

“Please forgive me, for what I did to your family. I made too many bad choices in my life. Your still young and you got a chance to make far better choices in your life. ” Mr. Leo said his voice soft now.

 

“I will. ” Maddie answered back in a whisper. Slowly, a sense of relief was washing over Maddie. Tears of joy were coming from her eyes now as she gave Mr. Leo a smile.

 

“I'm ready to return to the medical floor. ” Mr. Leo ordered and Rally pushed the wheelchair out of the room closing the door behind him.

 

Once back in the medical wing Rally helped Mr. Leo back into his hospital bed.

 

Officially, hospital records would showed that Mr. Leo had gone for a short walk to help with his recovery with Rally as his escort. Oddly enough, the Warden had ordered all the cameras offline for maintenance between the hospital wing and Maddie's holding cell at the exact same time.

 

“Between you, me, the other guards and the warden. We know your confession is total bullshit, Mr. Leo. The warden told me that he regrets to inform you that your garden work privileges are hereby revoke for a month for your violent outburst. ” Rally said refilling the cup of water by the bed then offering it to Mr. Leo. Mr. Leo was amused by that recalling that the prison doctor said he needed at least a month to fully recover.

 

“You know Rally, I have done enough harm in the world. I come to believe people deserve another chance. ” Mr. Leo said taking the offered cup of water.

 

Epilogue:

 

Nearly a year later, long after Miss Maddie Thornton was transferred from the Ice Box to stand trial. Mr. Leo didn't think he ever see the young woman again or directly talk to her. The case was pretty much over before it began. Mr. Leo had a history of violence decades ago and his signed confession was a solid win for Maddie.

 

Mr. Leo just finished reading another book when an incoming hologram call came in.

 

Mr. Leo accepted it and the ghostly image of a young man appeared. Mr. Leo thought that his grandson, Liam Noble could almost double for a twin for his father at that age.

 

“Hey grand-dad. ” Liam said with a smile.

 

“Liam, how are you doing, my boy? ” Mr. Leo asked ready to give the young man any advice or just listen to his problems.

 

“Good, I been kind of dating this girl and I think she's the one for me. I wanted you to be the first one to know. ” Liam answered and moved out of the way when a familiar person step into place. Her hair was much longer and she wore a new uniform. Brightly colored and more cheerful looking.

 

“Miss Thornton, this is a surprise to see you again. Please remember that our conversation is being recorded. Rally did mentioned your new job just a few days ago. ” Mr. Leo said wondering how in the world she ended up with his grandson. The women blushed a little and her arms went to hug herself a little.

 

“Yeah, after the trial Liam wanted to talk to me. Well, we started dating after that day and one thing led to another. ” Maddie said quickly if confessing some crime.

 

“It's nice to hear from you. Rally said you switched careers. Working with kids, I do believe. ” Mr. Leo said recalling the last bit of news he had heard on her before this day.

 

“I got into counseling troubled youths. ” Maddie said next perking up a bit. From her tone she was proud of her new job.

 

“That's good to hear. Catch them young and send them down a better road. Are you sleeping better these days? ” Mr. Leo asked recalling what she had said about her nightmares.

 

“Much better. Between Liam and my therapist, I'm doing a lot better. Liam is such a good honest man. ” Maddie answered and looked off to her left. She had a smile that could melt snow on her face. It was clear she loved the younger man.

 

“Liam, It would be best if you break the news to your mother next. Invite this fine young lady over to dinner. I will talk to you tomorrow, so you two can have some more alone time. ” Mr. Leo said knowing his grandson could hear him. He dismissed the call and wore a little smile as he picked out the next book he planned to read.

 

The End.

0