Eden Short Story: Brave New World
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jace was walking through the thick woods checking his animal traps. Still years away from even being on the threshold of manhood. The simple snares he made were enough sometimes to provide extra food on the table. Dressed in a simple tunic and short pants he moved in the forest much like a fox.

 

Sometimes Jace like to pretend he was a knight like his father had been in the war. These very woods bordered on the country of Lavor. It had been over ten years and only people like his father even bothered sharing stories about it.

 

Jace was distracted by thoughts of his long deceased mother. She had died right after giving birth to him. For a short while a woman named Corliss, his nursemaid lived with them. Until she met a man and moved in with him. Jace stopped when he heard voices. The funny thing was they were speaking words he didn't understand. Thoughts of people from the country of Lavor came to his mind.

 

All thoughts of his father coming to look for him if he didn't return soon vanished from his head.

 

Jace had crept closer using the trees for cover as he came to a clearing and look upon the strangest trio of knights he had seen or ever heard of. Jace kept his breathing low as he listened.

 

“Miles, Is that drone almost here yet? ” Melinda asked. Normally they used person to person comms, but this portal had opened in the middle of a forest clearing.

 

Melinda was thinking about how there was a city of sorts nearby. Compared to Eden standards it was primitive in every way. These people were about the same height as Melinda and she was the shortest member on the team.

 

“Almost here. Shame, we have to abandon exploring this world. It's like looking at a real life medieval Earth. They got villages, knights and castles. ” Miles answered back tracking the drone as it flew far over head. Even if someone from this world saw it. They easily mistake it for a bird in flight. The biggest worry the team had was it having a malfunction or shot down by rock from a hand sling then being found by a local.

 

“You know that we are leaving here as much for our safety as theirs. It's the whole reason we are wearing these encounter suits with these reflective face masks. I agree with the higher ups. This world is better left alone for a few hundred years. ” Dr. Sanders said. She made up the third and last member of the team.

 

“I know, doc. One encounter and a broken seal on our suits. Next thing we know, this world would be facing their own version of the black plague. At least that little farm house that we are staying at is nice. Even if old widow Rin is a bit fussy. After how much she got paid she told me flat out she was moving closer to the city. That farm life was her husband's idea. ” Miles said hearing a beeping sound that quickly went quiet.

 

A realistic bird like drone came flying down and perched itself on Miles's arm once he held it out. For days it has been flying around or perched high up in trees taking pictures and videos of the surrounding area. With it's enhanced microphone it even picked up enough of the local language that the keyboard warriors back home were able to translate it. So far they only understood the most basic parts.

 

Jace saw the bird come down and go straight to the one knight where that funny bird noise came from. Jace guessed that bird was a messenger and these knights were getting their orders.

 

As Jace stepped back he didn't notice the twig he had stepped over to get this close to these strange knights.

 

The snapping sound wasn't loud, but the people in the clearing took notice.

 

The one with the bird looked in his direction while touching the side of his helmet. Jace watched as the knight pulled something from his side pouch then pointing it right at him.

 

Jace didn't understand the words that Miles spoke, but he started moving right away.

 

“Shit, we got a local just around that tree there. ” Miles said going for his stunner then taking a shot.

 

Jace didn't understand what flew by his head, but it crackled slightly. Jace turned and ran as fast as his little legs could carry him. He was screaming for his father to come quick.

 

Little could Jace know that his father was already on his way toward him. Dale, who was worried for his son's safety when he didn't return on time had gone looking for him yet again. As always he took up his now slightly rusty old sword just in case of trouble. Unlike his son he stomped through the woods. Sometimes swinging the sword to create a wider path.

 

At the sound of his son's yelling he started running without a care for his own safety.

 

Dale just came into the sight of his son running when an odd looking knight appeared behind him. A funny bit of light left the knight's hand and Dale watched his son fall to the forest floor.

 

Dale did not know if he was dead or not. The old battle rage surged in him and already running he had increased his speed. Dale couldn't see the surprised look on Miles face and he would have be shocked to see how dark the man's skin was compared to his own.

 

He swung for the head going for the face using the flat part of his blade. This strange knight appeared to be unarmed, but that little metal rod in his hand had to be a weapon of sorts.

 

Miles only started to flinch away when the broad side of the rusty sword smacked his reflective face plate. Pressured air hissed out as Dale's nose hit the front of his helm from the blow.

 

Dale step back feeling a rush of air hitting him and watched as the strange knight struggled to get up.

 

“Who are you and what did you do to my son? ” Dale asked in anger ready to run the man through if he made any sudden movements.

 

Dale looked up in time to see a second knight come around a tree and in a flash of light. The next thing Dale knew he was falling to the forest floor then darkness.

 

Dale woke up in a very comfortable bed. The bedding was soft and the air around him very warm.

 

That caused Dale to wake with an alert attention. It hadn't been high summer when he went looking for his son. The bedroom he was in wasn't his house. Dale could only imagine such a room in a very wealthy man's home.

 

The woodwork and construction look almost like nothing he seen. The memories of what happened in the woods came back.

 

Dale wasn't surprised to see his rusty blade wasn't anywhere in sight. The only useful thing he saw was a sturdy looking chair in the corner.

 

There was a knock at the bedroom door and Dale gave permission to enter. It felt odd for him to do since this wasn't even his bedroom.

 

Dale assumed she was a female servant judging from her outfit, but it was her translucent skin that had him gawking at her. Through her skin he saw parts of her moving.

 

Dale was strongly reminded of a clock he seen once and the countless windmills he stayed in during his travels.

 

He was in for another shock when she spoke his language. Not perfectly, but far better then most strangers did.

 

“Would you like to join us for breakfast? Your son, Jace is already up and eating. ” The woman said and Dale only nodded.

 

He followed the servant woman down a hallway passing some stairs that led up to another level. They turned the corner and Dale relaxed when he saw his son.

 

The boy was dressed in some odd clothes and before him on the round table was a feast fit for a high lord.

 

There were others there and Dale noticed they sat on the far end. Jace sat in between them as a buffer. Dale looked each of them over. There was a man with the darkest skin that Dale had ever seen. There was a white bandage over the man's broad nose.

 

Dale recalled the strange knight he struck in the face.

 

Dale's eyes moved on to the other two female figures in the room. One looked pretty much looked like him, but he study the second noticing the webbed hands and the gills at her neck.

They spoke and Dale didn't understand the words. The servant woman then translated.

 

“Your name is Dale and this is your son, Jace. You may call me Kim. Please sit and eat. We do not wish you any harm. ” Kim said.

 

Dale did so and hid his surprise on how good the food was. He doubted even the high lords had a meal this tasty before. The most normal looking female spoke to him with Kim doing all the translating.

 

“My name is Melinda. This is Miles and healer Sanders. We were the strange knights in the forest. Let me apologize for stealing you away from your lands. Kim will be able to explain it far better. It was for your safety and your people that we stole you away. ” Melinda explained.

 

“What lands are these? I never heard or seen people such as you before. ” Dale asked looking from Kim to Miles then looking at healer Sanders. His time in the army had toughen him up. He figured he was a prisoner now.

 

“We all come from different places. I was born here in these lands. Miles came from Earth and healer Sanders is from a far away land beyond normal reach. Kim will explain it better. ” Melinda answered and Dale realized she was the leader of this group. Odd for a woman to be a leader, but he accepted it.

 

“Dad, they told me that this will be our new home. This home is bigger then the high lord's house back home. ” Jace said having already explored much of the house with Kim tagging along.

 

This confused Dale. Nobody gave something without expecting something in return.

 

“What do you expect from us? ” Dale asked looking from his son to the woman in charge.

 

“We are explorers and seekers of knowledge. We would like to know more about your people and culture. Places you been too and customs. Kim will be staying behind to help you adjust. She has been hired to learn your language and report back to us. I'm sorry to say that we must leave you for a few weeks. My team has been summon back to answer questions. You see, we were never suppose to bring you two here. ” Melinda answered and stood up slowly.

Dale never wanting any bad blood between anyone who didn't deserve it. He called out to Miles.

 

The tall black skin man turned to him with a slight interest.

 

Dale spoke to Kim to translate his words.

 

“No hard feelings about smacking you in the face with my blade. ” Dale said and saw an easy smile on the man's face. He held out a hand and they shook on it.

 

As the weeks passed and Dale worked on his new farm. He learned from Kim about Eden and his farm plot was small compared to most. Back on his world this much land would only be own by a whole family. Including Brothers or sons to work the land.

 

Kim answered all his questions and she asked many in return. She explained as much as she could. Dale couldn't believe how fast she learned his language. She also prepared him for many of the wonders that were on Eden. Ships that could dive under the water or fly through the air much like a hawk.

 

Talking to people from a great distance away without using message birds. Lights that didn't need a flame or that cold box that kept food fresh or frozen.

 

Dale found peace in working the soil with Jace close by. Kim teaching the boy how to speak English. She also taught him by giving lessons on math, science, and other subjects. Dale joined in on the lessons picking up on what he could.

 

Then the shadow of a great winged beast passed over him. For a few seconds Dale was a bit alarmed until he noticed the creature had two human riders on it's back. Then a trio of three more came into view to land not far away.

 

“Kim, those are Leather-Wings that you told me about? ” Dale asked and Kim confirm they were. Jace ran ahead as the Leather-wings landed. The riders sliding off then helping their passengers off. Clearly taking a short rest.

 

Dale saw it was Miles, Melinda, and Doctor Sanders. They were removing flight helmets.

 

“Hello to you all. ” Dale said in English.

 

“Hello Dale. The others can't stay long. Another world to explore, but I will be staying behind. ” Melinda said seeing that Dale understood her as Kim translated everything.

 

“Did you get into trouble bringing me here? ” Dale asked understanding from Kim that he been exposed to possible germs when Miles face plate had been damaged. Melinda's team had been under orders not to have any contact with the locals and stun anyone who caught sight of them.

 

“Only a bit, but they understood my decisions and approved my transfer to be your handler. Once your settled in fully. I will be living close by to watch over the portal just in case more of your people come here one day. ” Melinda explain and she was pleased Dale picked up more English since the last time she saw him.

 

It was the way his eyes moved when he understood a word fully.

 

“Kim explained it. Sometimes the doorway is open and mostly not. It can only pull someone from my world to here. She told me that your people forced another portal permanently closed and this one opened up on its own. ” Dale said still trying to fully understand all the different worlds.

 

Jace was being introduce to each Leather-Wing and the creatures seemed to enjoy the attention he was giving them. The riders looking amused by the boy's joy in petting each one.

 

“They also want you to help me watch over the doorway. You speak the languages from there and chances are that it could be someone you might know. The plus side, you get paid to live out here in comfort. We don't expect many to come through, but you never know. Hopefully, only one every decade. ” Melinda said comparing this portal to the several that still linked Earth to Eden.

 

Stroking his short beard Dale nodded then he spoke to Kim.

 

“Could I hire you to stay on? I come to enjoy the food you cook and all the other chores you do. ” Dale asked Kim and she smiled.

 

“I would like that, Dale. ” Kim answered glancing over at Jace. The boy's endless questions never seem to bother Kim in the slightest.

 

“Dad, can I go for a ride on the Leather-Wing? ” Jace asked in a yell from where he was.

 

Dale paused in thinking it over. It was Melinda who convinced him.

 

“Leather-Wings are very protective around children. He will be fine. Those riders are very good at flying. ” Melinda said seeing Dale was on the fence about making a choice.

 

“You go ahead, boy. Listen to what that rider tells you. ” Dale answered and the Leather-Wing rider pulled out an extra harness then started to adjust it to Jace's size.

 

It didn't take long and soon enough they lifted into the air and flew about in a few lazy circles.

 

“You know, shave that beard and I bet there is a handsome man under that hair. ” Melinda said with a wink and Dale quickly realized that Melinda was flirting with him.

 

As thoughts of starting a new life here on Eden. It fully hit him on what he lost. Dale thought about all of his distant family members and friends he never see again. For a few seconds he was sadden by the fact. Then Dale could hear Jace laughing with joy as they passed over head. The rider gave some signal and the Leather-Wing climbed higher into the sky. They soon came down to land with a gentle landing.

 

Dale put all thoughts of himself away as he looked over at Jace. His son would have a far better future on this brave new world.

 

The End

0