Eden Short Story: Escape
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
[A NOTE FROM AUTHOR: 

A pair of humanoid beings who resemble trolls find their way onto Eden.  ]

 

Brother Tome felt the tug of the rope once again as he was forced along the forest road. Bound by his wrists and only his robe as clothing he was forced along. His clawed feet dragging a bit more with every step.

 

The smell of burnt wood lingered on his clothing. Part of him still heard the screams of his fellow brothers and sisters of his order. Beside him suffering the same fate was Sister Peace. Her hands were bound and her rope being pulled by a soldier.

 

The only member of their order not bound or given any malice from the soldiers was Brother Fortunate. A traitor to the people who treated him like family.

 

“Cheer up, Brother Tome. Your journey is nearly over. You and your lady friend will be taking a long rest soon enough. ” The commander said making it sound like Brother Tome and Sister Peace had a sexual relationship.

 

Around the commander's neck was the gruesome trophies he taken from each dead member of The Order of Enlightenment. The right tusk of every member Brother Tome had come to love as a family. The size of each tusk depending on gender or age of each person.

 

Brother Tome had been taken in as a orphan at a young age. He was given a new name and educated. His own tusks were carved with his new name, position and degrees of knowledge on various subjects over the years.

 

“I will pray for your soul, commander. ” Brother Tome said lining up all six clawed fingers up. His four thumbs barely touching.

 

“No prays for Brother Fortunate. ” The commander said much to the amusement of his fellow soldiers.

 

“I have already forgiven him. The lure of coins and wanting to live by sacrificing others is his sins to bare. ” Brother Tome replied and looked at Brother Fortunate who only glanced his way then turned his attention forward. Clearly the shame of his deeds ate away at him a little over time.

 

“Brother Fortunate was being smart. A winter siege can be hard when there is very little food left. Look, we are here at your sacred grove. ” The commander said waving a hand at the forest clearing ring with trees. Seven primitive standing stones circled the area.

 

“Beautiful and peaceful as ever. ” Sister Peace said with a smile even with her swollen face. She had taken several beatings when she refused to lay down with some of the soldiers.

 

“I think, we hang you both by the limbs between the stones then gut you as a warning to all. ” The commander said and Brother Tome felt the light jab on his thick gray skin from a spear as he was forced forward first.

 

“Pray all you like, Brother Tome. No one is coming to save you. Your great maker has abandon you. ” The commander said as Brother Tome hands were freed with soldiers on each side of him with spears at the ready. The same being done to Lady Peace.

 

The other soldiers were climbing the standing stones to secure ropes around the top.

Silently, Brother Tome prayed for the souls of the commander and his men. Then for Brother Fortunate to find path of the light once more. Lastly, Brother Tome silently thanked the great maker for all of the gifts in his life so far. Living to adulthood with a full belly, the sense of family love the order gave him and the solid friendship of Sister Peace.

 

The only regret Brother Tome had was not confessing his love to Sister Peace. Maybe, she felt the same way and he could have left the order to start a family with her. He could have been a great scribe and she an expert in plants.

 

Brother Tome looked over at Sister Peace and their eyes met. If she could read his mind like the books he study she nodded. A silent exchange that spoke volumes. Brother Tome saw very little regret in her eyes.

 

The commander step in front of Brother Tome with a one handed war ax in hand.

 

Brother Tome raised up his head. His short right tusk an easy target for the commander's ax.

 

The commander was smirking and was about to say something when gasps behind him caused him to turn halfway around.

 

The air rippled and shimmered oddly in the very center of the clearing. The soldiers near to the spot step back in fear. Mist seemed to appear out of no where. Brother Tome marveled at the sight as foretold in stories the elders spoke of. It was a rare random monthly event few had ever seen.

 

Brother Tome noticed the guards on each side were distracted and used his one chance. Maybe, if they ran through the air ripple and into the forest they have a chance to escape.

 

Grabbing the spear from a guard as he punched him. He whirled the blunt end into the second guard's face. Striking perfectly on the guard's wide nose.

 

“Lady Peace, run toward the air ripple. ” Brother Tome commanded.

 

A battle cry from Sister Peace told him she was free and she sprinted forward toward that ripple in the air. Brother Tome rushed the commander with the spear point. Brother Tome saw the fear in the commander's face as the tip of the spear sunk in.

 

Out of respect for his order's views on the value of life. Brother Tome aimed hard for the commander's shoulder. The commander would live to see another day, but he would have a hard time swinging a weapon again with that injury.

 

Brother Tome drove the spear deep in to the shoulder causing both of them to fall. Brother Tome pulled out the spear and snatched the gruesome necklace from the commander's neck. Making sure not to lose a single tusk.

 

Later, he told himself he give the remains of his order members a decent place to rest.

Brother Tome wasted no time running for the air ripple as he watched Sister Peace disappear right in front of him. Thinking it was a trick of the light he ran on.

 

“Great Maker, forgive me. ” Brother Fortunate screamed in panic and turn to run away deeper into the forest in a different direction. The guilt of his deeds driving him to flee.

 

Brother Tome was nearly through when his backside was struck from a thrown spear. Stumbling he fell through the ripple. Shouts from the soldiers cut off as he stepped through.

Brother Tome took a few more steps seeing an open field and strange short people with pink skin. Like himself they had hair on their heads and hands much like his own without claws. Their clothing wasn't much different from what his people wore at times.

 

He dropped his spear and fell forward into the arms of Sister Peace. The new people spoke strange words and just before Brother Tome passed out they were stepping forward.

Brother Tome woke up to the sound of a flapping tent and warm air on his skin.

 

Sister Peace was beside his cot holding his hand. Strange words were being exchange and Brother Tome opened his eyes to dozens of the pink skin people moving about. Most of them wearing white uniforms while others had dark blue uniforms on. Some of them had weapons hanging off their belts.

 

“Rest easy, Brother Tome. I do believe they are friendly. They patched you up nicely. ” Sister Peace said with a calm tone.

 

“What are they? ” Brother Tome asked seeing different skin colors now. One of them was dark skin like muddy water and one female seemed to have translucent skin with a gray skeleton under it.

 

“I had only a short time to learn some of their words, but they call themselves hoo-mans. ” Sister Peace answered.

 

“Strange looking and they are shorter then us. ” Brother Tome said checking his shoulder to see the bandages in place.

 

One of the female humans came in and walked right over to them. Brother Tome noticed right away she was different from the others. Webbed hands and what appeared to be extra mouths with no lips on the side of her neck.

 

“Hello, I'm Alice. Please remain calm. ” Alice said in a low voice, but Brother Tome heard the voice clearly inside his head. The way Sister Peace tensed up her grip she heard the same voice inside her mind. There was a slight pressure which did nothing to help his aching head.

 

“I'm like a human, but we are called Nereids. Like yourself, I came from a different world. I have the rare gift among my people to speak mind to mind. Speak slowly and one at a time then I will be able to answer your questions. In return, I will tell you all about Eden. ” Alice said and moved a chair so she could sit at the foot of Brother Tome's cot. She held something that look like a thin book to him.

 

With a nod to each other Brother Tome and Sister Peace took turns asking questions.

Hours passed and people behind Alice started packing away their equipment then breaking down tables.

 

After a while Brother Tome relaxed as their conversation went on. They took short breaks to eat and Brother Tome got an injection to speed up his healing. Sister Peace was given one as well to prevent diseases. There was a burning sensation for a minute then the pain pass.

 

“Well, you two are like a pair of spiritual monks who focus on how things work in the world. I think, you two will fit right in on Eden. ” Alice said after explaining that they couldn't return home even if they wanted too.

 

“Yes, may I ask for that necklace back. I like to give my fallen brothers and sisters a proper place to rest, later. ” Brother Tome feeling tired now after the day he had.

 

“Of course. We merely wanted to examine it and take some very small samples for study. Once your cleared for citizenship you can have the spears as well. ” Alice said and sense the loathing at getting the weapons back.

 

“It's not our order's way to carry weapons, but we can hang them on a wall as reminders of home or defense. ” Sister Peace said wondering where they were going to live on this strange new world.

 

Alice seemed to sense the question before Sister Peace could ask.

 

“Normally, we find a house for you to live in, but given your size. Most homes won't be suited for your needs. Come to think of it there is an old monastery just South of here. There are very few monks there due to most of the members moving away. Just so happens they were asking for government assistance. We could make a little arrangement. Might have to do some work to make it comfortable for you two. ” Alice said tapping away at her device which she called a tablet.

 

Brother Tome took great interest in the device once Alice explained it could access a vast amount of knowledge and even communicate with people far away.

 

“We don't mind hard work. We will tell you what you want to know about our world. ” Sister Peace said then yawning. It was still early in the evening, but like Brother Tome she been through a lot that day.

 

“Rest easy and get some sleep. I will make the arrangements. ” Alice said getting up and decided she do everything in her power to help these two new people to Eden. Alice thought they looked a little bit like trolls from what human stories that she heard about.

 

Outwardly they looked like monsters, but Alice had been carefully probing into their thoughts. She sensed gentle caring souls behind those eyes and felt their pain at all they lost.

The next day Brother Tome woke up feeling great and removed his bandages to discover that his wound didn't even leave a scar.

 

Sister Peace was awake in the cot next to his stretching for a day's work.

Soon enough Alice arrived as they were given breakfast. Most of the Peace Keepers were gone now. The tent nearly empty.

 

After they finished eating Brother Tome and Sister Peace climbed into the back of a large truck called a deuce and a half as Alice called it. She rode with them giving them some basic English lessons on a few simple things.

 

After climbing a steep road they came to a large stone building that could easily house fifty people with ease.

 

Already there were a very small group of people outside working. Brother Tome knew right away these were old humans judging from their wrinkled skin. Like himself they wore robes not unlike his own. The youngest seemed to be in charge as he slowly walked over to them.

 

“You pretty lady must be Alice. Thank you for your recent funding. ” The old abbot said in a creaking voice.

 

“Thank you for agreeing to take in our newest citizens, Abbot Khen. This is Brother Tome and Sister Peace. They are from the Order of Enlightenment. ” Alice said as Brother Tome step forward.

 

Each of them bow slightly in greeting. Alice translated their greetings.

 

“We will do our best to help out where we can. ” Brother Tome said as Sister Peace looked over the garden looking eager to start working.

 

“Normally, we do not permit females to live here. As they say times are changing. Most of our members have left us. We only stayed on because we feel its our duty to care for the place. Some have even pitch the idea of making this into an orphanage. ” Abbot Khen said with a friendly smile.

 

“We are honored to be here. ” Brother Tome said after Alice translated everything.

 

“Come in. We have rooms prepared and I even reactivated some of the old teaching androids. They will aid you in learning our language. ” Abbot Khen said leading the way into the building.

 

Epilogue:

 

Many months later, Brother Tome practiced in the yard with his fighting staff. Once it been a spear, but the metal point had been cut off with only a metal cap on each end. Beside him Lady Peace did the same copying the moves.

 

Tome was now in ownership of the monastery. They worked hard on learning human fighting arts. Mostly human's Baguazhang combined with Bōjutsu. Their goal was to learn how to defend without striking back without any real malice.

 

The handful of human monks were watching while they ate their mid day meal.

The older monks looking amused by their practice as Tome fondly recalled his friendship with Abbot Khen. Tome had become good friends with the old Abbot. After learning enough English. Brother Tome took over many of the duties in running the monastery.

 

When Abbot Khen passed away. The remaining monks voted Tome to take over due to his young adult age and experience from his home world. Sadly, there were fewer human monks as the months passed.

 

This new island home had few human settlements on it. Mostly do the fact that most of the land was a wild life preserve for once endangered or extinct species brought back through cloning. Tome longed to see Paradise island which wasn't far by ship or air craft. Then maybe, he would travel to see the famous Alpha City he heard so much about.

 

Stories, videos and pictures he seen with his tablet seemed unreal.

 

Tome heard the sound of a bus coming to the front gates. It was more likely a bus load of tourists come to see the real life trolls. Officially, they were known as The Tusker race on Eden.

 

Tome had learned to take the attention with a good nature smile and welcomed all donations to the monastery. Like Lady Peace he even allowed his likeness to be used to make toys for human children. He knew in time his fame would fade. For now it was good for the monastery.

 

Even the monastery's name had changed. Now the Order of Enlightenment monastery. The older human monks accepting the change with ease since their daily lives barely changed. They lived simple lives while studying or praying as they liked.

 

Tome smiled as Alice came into view once she step clear of the bus. Behind her a few child care androids stood at attention. Currently, Alice was looking above the arched doorway at the carved stone letters in the Tusker language and in English. Which read “Through knowledge and experience, we gain wisdom. ”

 

“Good news. ” Alice said beaming with a huge grin when she caught sight of Tome.

 

“You mean...” Tome said and stared at the bus with a new eagerness.

 

“Yes, Project Genesis was a success yet again. They are all asleep, but you can come aboard. ” Alice said and Tome walked forward with Lady Peace right behind him.

 

Bending down to step into the bus Tome was able to go inside by walking up the steps.

Each bus seat had two to three baby carriers. Within each baby carrier was a baby Tusker wearing either blue or pink outfits. The whole idea of cloning seem like a fantasy to Tome, but Alice assured him that it could be done. The DNA samples taken from Tome's necklace and the one bloody spear he had used to escape his old world.

 

“All of them are so beautiful. ” Lady Peace said crying with joy as she looked over each infant Tusker's face. When their permanent tusks came in they would be given their name of their DNA donor. Each one had a plastic ID bracelet on their wrist for now.

 

“We had to speed up their aging process during the gestation process, but they will age normally from now on by Eden standards. The child care androids want to stay on for the next few decades. We can call it payment for all the knowledge about your culture you have shared so far. ” Alice said.

 

“You have a deal. We need the help with so many little ones. ” Lady Peace said wiping at her eyes with her knuckles at the idea of starting a community of her own people right here on Eden.

 

Tome nodded in full agreement. Only Tome noticed that Lady peace had placed her hand over her belly. If his guess was right. The Great Maker would soon bless him with a child of his own blood.

 

“What news from my homeland? ” Tome asked seeing Alice was bothered by something. It been weeks since their last chat. Tome understood that they were using bird like drones to keep watch over the area that was close to the portal. When the portal opened on its own. The bird drone would send a report back.

 

“A civil war has broken out. The nearest cities are being burned and for the most part they are leaving the forest area alone. Due to it's location there is little value to the warring armies. The one concern that we do have are the refugees fleeing into the forest to hide. At this point its only a matter of time before a few Tuskers come here. Maybe even groups of them. Depending on long this war will be. Hundreds of your people might accidentally come here over time. ” Alice explained.

 

“We have to build homes here then. The monastery has been doing well. Something to do with the tourists coming to see the trolls living here” Tome said slipping in a little joke.

Looking out of the bus windows over the slightly sloping valley. In his mind he pictured homes suited for Tuskers. A school, market area and other needed buildings.

 

“I'm sure most of the residents of the local town will be pleased. You two have become quite the tourist attraction lately. I have seen toys of you two and the only hotel in town is doing well. ” Alice said not admitting she had bought a toy version of Brother Tome and Lady Peace which she kept on her work desk.

 

“We should get the little ones inside. ” Tome said next and slowly assigned rooms for each child care android with their young charges. Even some of the elderly human monks came out to help with the unloading. Warm smiles on their faces as they caught sight of the infant Tuskers.

 

Tome saw a hopeful future for his people on this new world.

0