Eden Short Story: Jack
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
[A NOTE FROM AUTHOR: 

Brutus learns a shocking secret about his past.  ]

 

Elder Knight entered into his private dojo area while Brutus, his old friend was following.

 

“I wouldn't think boys his age would be interested in business deals. That grand son of mine seems to take after me. ” Mr. Knight said to his friend and stop walking when he noticed the lights above them weren't working. The door behind them already shut.

 

“The lights are out. That doesn't happen very often. ” Brutus said looking up and was stop short as Mr. Knight used his cane to block his friend from stepping forward. Brutus was going to check the control panel by the main door.

 

“If you got a problem with me. Shall we settle this over a nice cup of tea or the blade? ” Mr. Knight called out drawing out his sword cane with a push of a release button.

 

A slender figure rose from the darkest corner holding a Bo staff like weapon that suddenly crackled on each end with electrical power.

 

“I didn't come for you. I came for the man beside you. ” The distorted voice said and both men heard the youthfulness in it. The tall slender figure had to be a teenager or younger. He wore light body armor of a Krackle player and had a protective mask over his head. Mr. Knight figured the boy to be about the same age as his grandson. The sport of Krackle was often played by those who had speed over strength.

 

“Good for me, I suppose. To be honest, I don't enjoy inflicting harm on others. ” Mr. Knight said while putting away his sword back into its cane.

 

Brutus said nothing, but remove his jacket and unhooked his holster rig handing them to Mr. Knight.

 

“Hang onto that toy of yours, boy. ” Brutus said to the unknown youth and walked into the moon light coming from the glass doors that led out to the balcony. The full moon light that shone inside providing more then enough light to see by.

 

The unknown intruder was fast launching his attack. Mr. Knight watched with amusement as the slender figure missed the first few strikes.

 

Brutus knocking the staff away or simply weaving out the way. He even remembered to watch his own legs as one swing came dangerous close to hitting his knee.

 

Then the intruder switched directions on one swing catching Brutus high up on the arm. There was the distant crackle sound and flash as he grunted with pain. In the game of Krackle that would be considered a scored point.

 

Just as Brutus was shaking off the numbness he took another blow to the side of his body.

Mr. Knight smile when Brutus reached grabbing the staff weapon.

 

Brutus pulled the intruder forward swinging him around and used his other hand to grab the other side just short where the electrical ends started. Now the intruder was pinned against his body.

 

“Bravo, Brutus. ” Mr. Knight called out impressed.

 

The intruder wasn't finished just yet. Somehow the intruder unlocked the center of his staff freeing himself by rolling forward then coming up in a defensive stance.

 

Brutus dropped the two halves of the staff and met the intruder head on. A few blows later it came down to a wrestling match. In the struggle, the intruder's mask was knocked off as Brutus finally pinned the intruder down. Experience and his large size. Brutus had won him the fight over the wily kid.

 

Brutus was breathing hard and damn how his arm still tingled from that sport weapon.

 

“It's all your fault! ” The boy shouted in anger. His voice cracked with emotion and Brutus was sure the boy was close to tears.

 

“Perhaps a night in a holding cell will cool your jets. ” Brutus said looking at Mr. Knight wondering why his best friend hadn't moved. His friend was studying the intruder's face. Brutus could only see part of it as he held him down on the padded floor.

 

“No, that wouldn't be very nice to do. ” Mr. Knight said with an amused smile.

 

“Why not? The little punk broke in to attacked me. I bet his dad is some criminal we crossed years ago. ” Brutus asked

 

“Because, I'm pretty sure that's your son. He is almost your twin when you were that age. ” Mr. Knight said and watched as Brutus lifted himself off and watched as the boy sat up looking at him with hate.

 

Mr. Knight took his time to go over to the control panel and disconnect the device that was used to hack into the control panel. Which explained the lack of lights and security guards.

 

“Intruder detected. ” The AI alerted over the speakers.

 

“It's alright and cancel any call to security. It's a family matter. ” Mr. Knight said to the AI then turn his attention back to father and son.

 

“I'm impressed. You bypassed some pretty heavy security and judging from this device you made this to hack a AI controlled system. Not to mention you are skilled in Krackle fighting. I didn't catch your name? ” Mr. Knight asked.

 

“Jack. ” Jack said and wiped at his eyes. Mr. Knight guessed the boy to be about the same age as Thomas. No older then thirteen at the most. Only the boy's height made him look older.

 

“What's my fault? ” Brutus asked stepping back so the boy had space to get up. His arms fell to his sides. All the fight in him was gone now.

 

“My mother, Jo-Jo. She had to work second jobs, because you were too busy protecting him. The last one was dangerous. She got bit by a Marco spider and might die if she doesn't wake from her coma soon. You were never there for us. ” Jack accused his eyes showing signs of tears ready to spill.

 

“Until a minute ago, I didn't know you existed. ” Brutus said feeling a bit guilty.

 

“It's true, Jack. I'm his best friend, brother in law and family is everything to us. If I knew, I would have setup your family with a nice credit account. Invited you to family dinners and arrange times to meet your relatives. ” Mr. Knight said addressing Jack.

 

“Why would Jolie not tell me? ” Brutus asked and was talking to himself as he half turned his back to look in the direction of Alpha city. Maybe, trying to figure out which hospital she was in.

 

“You see, Jack. Your father is in shock. Take a good look at his face. ” Mr. Knight said setting all of the weapons down on a table by the door. He walked over and helped the boy up.

Jack did look at Brutus face then up at Elder Knight who only smiled warmly.

 

“I'm sorry for breaking in here. I..I was just so mad. ” Jack said and looked at the close door to the outside hallway. Clearly Jack wanted to leave, but he knew what he did meant trouble with the law.

 

“Your dad was a bit hot headed too around your age. Damn near knocked me out a few times for dating his sister. We didn't start out as friends, but after we killed the Drac-Ko back when we were teenagers our friendship started. Let's pay your mother a visit and I can have the very best doctors looking after her. ” Mr. Knight offered and slowly Jack nodded.

 

Mr. Knight's phone started ringing and glancing at it he saw it was a follow up call from Overwatch security to make sure everything was truly okay. He answered it as they left the dojo apartment. Mr. Knight speaking calmly and giving them few details.

 

Hours later, Jolie or Jo-Jo to her friends opened her eyes to see Brutus hovering over her. Then she noticed her son and Mr. Knight. Her relief in waking up at all was replace with disappointment with her son.

 

“Jack, what did you do? ” Jolie asked trying to make her voice stern, but that damn poison left her so weak. Jack took a step back and hung his head in shame.

 

“Since this is a family matter I will step out. ” Mr. Knight said and left the room so they could have some privacy.

 

“Jo-Jo, why didn't you tell me that I had a son? ” Brutus asked her.

 

“Because, I didn't want him to worry if you ever come home or not. Being a bodyguard to your brother in law. I was just another girl to you. You had your fat credit accounts, fancy jet and that man cave high up above everyone else inside that mountain. ” Jo-Jo said and put venom into her words. Which only made her chuckle to think about. She bet that she still had that spider's poison running through her veins.

 

Brutus said nothing at first then pulled out a necklace. In between a pair of Drac-Ko's teeth what appeared to be a wooden spacer. When he removed it. Jo-Jo saw it for what it was. It was a traditional Eden engagement ring.

 

It was rather old looking wooden ring and with gentle care he put it on her finger. The wooden ring fit perfectly.

 

“You broke up with me before I could ask. I was going to quit my body guard job the next day. Instead, I waited years before retiring from body guard work. But, I never stop loving you, Jo-Jo. ” Brutus confessed.

 

Jo-Jo looked at the ring and started crying.

 

“God, we both been idiots haven't we. My answer is yes if the offer is still open? ” Jo-Jo asked and Brutus nodded.

 

“Give me a kiss you big oaf, before I change my mind. ”Jo-Jo said. The kiss was short and on the lips.

 

Jack was backing up to slip out of sight when a female cough stopped him in his tracks.

 

“As for you young man. I'm sure you broke more then one law today to get your father here. Grounded for a week. ” Jo-Jo said and Jack only nodded.

 

“Don't worry, I will keep a close eye on our son. He will stay with me until then. Hopefully, you will be fully recovered by that time. ” Brutus said planning to get the know his son better.

 

“Teach the boy how to defend himself. I had him in self defense classes since he could walk, but I bet you know a few tricks his teachers don't. ” Jo-Jo said laying back down as a dizzy spell hit her. Her waking up at all was a good sign she was on the road to recovery.

 

“I will see to it. ” Brutus said quietly and with his son in tow they left the hospital room closing the door behind them.

 

Mr. Knight waited in the hallway talking to the female doctor. From the smiles and tone of the conversation Jo-Jo would be fine. Brutus heard the doctor tell Mr. Knight a week's rest would be good.

 

“I'm engaged to be married. ” Brutus said to Mr. Knight once the female doctor left.

 

“I say it's about time you settled down. Who knows. Jo-Jo is still young enough to have another kid or two. ” Mr. Knight said with a wink and Brutus gave one of his grunts of amusement. Mr. Knight turned his attention to young Jack.

 

“As for you young man. I hereby invite you to our next family dinner at my son in law's place. You will be my honored guest and you can meet the rest of your family. ” Mr. Knight said holding out his hand not hanging onto his sword cane.

 

Jack took it feeling the firm grip and getting a shoulder pat from his father. Jack had a feeling that his life was going to become a lot more interesting.

 

The End

0