Chapter 05 – New Skills
1.4k 3 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ethan got out of bed quickly and started looking around the room. Everything was clearer than it should have been. It wasn't all perfectly clear as if the light were on, but the boy could identify everything in every place easily.

To test his new skill, Ethan opened one of the boxes in the room, where he knew there were some lost magazines and started trying to read what was written. Each word was clear to the boy, but he found that he still had difficulty identifying the exact color of the images.

As he looked at the magazines, a brief memory popped into his head. The message his mother left was written that the boy needed to take the clothes to the hamper. Even though he was excited about the new ability, he decided to get up and do the task, as apparently the former owner of the body was not a helpful person and Ethan wanted to change his image.

Ethan got up and walked towards the bathroom. He took the laundry basket that was in the corner of the closet and when he got up, he accidentally bumped into one of the products that were on top of the sink, however, before he could think of anything, the boy moved his body quickly in front of him. towards the object and held it in the air, not letting it even get close to the ground.

Ethan stood still with the object in his hand and dropped it on the ground, while looking at his own hand very confused.

What was this? - He thought, as he opened and closed his hand. - Maybe it wasn't just night vision I acquired -

The boy put the product back in the sink and picked up the laundry basket. He hurried down the stairs and walked to the laundry room.

While putting the clothes in the washing machine, he heard the sound of a key being placed in the door of his house and soon after steps appeared inside the house.

"Ethan, are you there? Mommy arrived"

He listened.

"I'm here at the laundry, mom!"

He yelled back, putting the last piece in the wash.

"Oh, you put the clothes in the machine for me. Thank you so much, son. You could have just brought the basket, Mom would put it for you".

Ethan's mother said, as she walked towards the boy with her arms open, wanting to give him a hug.

With that, Ethan was able to make out a small badge on his mother's vest, along with a small brooch with her name on it, "Enid Coleman."

So my name is Ethan Coleman. I wonder what could have happened to my father - Ethan thought.

Enid hugged him warmly and Ethan hugged back.

"You ate? I brought you a snack. I was afraid I hadn't eaten anything, so I decided to bring it anyway," she said, as she pointed to a bag of food on the table. "Wow, you even did the dishes", she completed as she lowered her arm slowly, a little surprised.

"Since you brought it, we can share lunch. What do you think?"

Ethan said as he walked into the kitchen to pick up the bag from the table.

"Oh, okay. I thought I would eat upstairs. But, tell me about your first day of school. Did you manage to make new friends? And the teachers, were they nice to you?"

Enid said excitedly, it looked like she had just left her son in the first grade of high school.

"It was amazing. I met some new people. Two girls and 2 guys. Can you believe one of them tried to make fun of me in class?"

Ethan counted as he cut the lunch in half and placed it on two plates.

"What? Like this? Do you want me to go talk to the board?"

The boy's mother replied very concerned.

"No, Mom," he replied along with a light chuckle. "Everything is fine. It turned out that he just proved to our colleagues that I have a quick mind", he added, placing the plate with half of the snack in front of his mother.

Enid's cell phone started ringing mid-conversation. On the contact was written "Captain Charlie".

Enid glanced at her cell phone and just hung up, looking back at Ethan.

"Aren't you going to pick it up?" Ethan asked, as he shifted his gaze from his cell phone to his mother.

"Oh no! Now it's time for family dinner. I'll deal with work issues later," she said, putting her cell phone in her pocket. "And you named me two girls. Are you interested in one of them, are you?", she said with a laugh. "I remember last year you were scared to death to talk to girls. I'm glad I'm able to make friends now", she added, biting into her snack right after.

"Oh, they're cool. One of them is quite beautiful, but I still can't think of anything other than friendship." Ethan replied, handing a napkin to his mother, who had sauce all over her mouth.

And so they talked for hours. Enid was a kind mother and interested in her own son, but it was clear that she had a certain need for the boy. As if they almost didn't talk on a daily basis and those little moments when she managed to talk in depth with the boy were extremely special to her. Ethan thought that was cute, but he also felt a little sorry for the situation in how the body's former owner treated her.

"I think you better go to sleep, it's already late. You'll end up being late for school tomorrow," Ethan's mother said as she finished washing the dishes.

"Okay, I'll go upstairs now. We could do this more often," he said, getting up from the table.

"Dinner together, you mean?" Enid looks at him confused.

"That! I'll start waiting for you for dinner, okay?", the boy says with a gentle smile on his face.

"Oh, that's fine with me! Good night darling, sleep well", she wished, while smiling proudly.

"Good night mom!".

Ethan went upstairs, brushed his teeth and went to his room. He lay in bed in the dark and still didn't feel that strange feeling in his body.

I'm probably at full power. I'll try to sleep to figure it out better tomorrow - he thought.

The boy then closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep, but nothing relaxed him. He would turn from side to side and not even a yawn would appear on his face. It was as if he had slept all day and could now run a full marathon.

As he tried to fall asleep, Ethan heard a knock on his bedroom door.

"Ethan, are you awake?" Enid said as she gently opened the door.

"I can't fall asleep. Did something happen?" he replied, sitting up in bed.

"I found your little light among the boxes. I'll put it here in the socket so you can sleep better. Good night, darling!" she said, as she plugged a small penguin-shaped child's light into the socket.

Ethan stood still for a few minutes, staring at that little penguin light, incredulous that that boy who owned the body, besides being a failure, still slept with the light.

He got out of bed, pulled the light out of the socket and put it inside the bottom drawer of the room, unable to process a single word that wouldn't offend that boy's fifth generation.

So he lay down on the bed and after hours tossing and turning, he finally got to sleep.

Waking up the next day to the deafening noise of that alarm clock, Ethan stretched out in bed and felt refreshed. He probably slept a maximum of 4 hours, but his body was radiant. That energy he had gained last night was still lingering in his body. He got up to get ready for school.

Going downstairs, he smells the delicious smell of scrambled eggs being made.

"Morning, Mom," Ethan says, in a sleepy voice.

"Get up quickly, okay? You have a fever, do you?" she says with a short laugh.

Ethan responded and so the short morning ensued. Enid took the boy back to school, still convinced that he would like to be around the corner instead of in front of the school, and left.

He walked to the school, along with all those teenagers that he barely recognized the face yet.

Arriving at the main entrance, Ethan saw his friends standing there talking to an unknown girl. Her back was to him, so Ethan couldn't see her face.

The way the boys are all over her, she's probably the new girl they were talking about - he thought, already forming a smile on his face when he found Jessica.

"Hi Ethan, good morning. Did you sleep well?".

Jessica asked, walking toward the boy's side.

"Good morning, I slept yes and you?".

He said smiling at the girl.

As he looks away from Jessica to the group, he notices that the new girl is looking at him with a shy smile. Ethan freezes, recognizing that face immediately.

Is this Kristen Stewart? - he thinks in confusion, while he cannot take his eyes off the girl.

"Ethan, this is the new student. Isabella".

Angela says, while looking at Ethan.

"Nice to meet you, but you can call me Bella."

- Wait, Bella? Forks? Am I at twilight? - he thought.

58