Chapter 6: Sunlight and Desire
536 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun’s rays stung Evilian’s eyes as she stepped out of the inn. he squinted and pulled her hood over her head, trying to block out the bright light. Her skin tingled where it was exposed to the sunlight, making her uncomfortable. She wondered if it was because of her vampiric blood. Was she more sensitive to the sun than most people? 

She turned to Ace and Lux and saw how Ace had bundled himself up in clothes. He was a full-fledged vampire, unlike her. He would suffer more from the sun’s rays than she ever would. She felt bad for not remembering that sooner. They had left her underground base at dusk when the sun was harmless. But now it was blazing in the sky, threatening to burn them. In the game, she had only experienced minor debuffs from standing in sun, while Ace had taken damage every second his skin was exposed to its rays.  

Fortunately, special artifacts were unnecessary to shield themselves from the sun’s harmful rays in this world. Clothing sufficed. In the game, however, she always kept a pair of rings that offered such protection in her inventory. Could she still access her game inventory if she needed it? She wondered. It wasn’t a spell after all; it was more of a game mechanic that served as a mobile storage. 

She tried opening her inventory with a familiar gesture, but nothing happened. It seemed that the inventory did not exist in this world or at least she didn’t know how to access it. She wondered if she should ask Luxuria about it. Maybe she knew how to access it.   

Evilian turned to Luxuria, her brows furrowed in confusion. “Lux, didn’t I have a pair of rings that could shield us from the sun?” she asked. “Where are they now?” 

Lux bowed her head, her voice laced with remorse. “I’m sorry, my queen. You always kept your items in the vault, I have no way of knowing where they are.” She felt guilty for letting her mistress down. 

Ace wrapped his arms around Evilian’s waist, giving her a reassuring smile. “Hey, sis, don’t sweat it. I’m fine without them,” he said cheerfully. He didn’t want to add to Evilian’s worries; he knew she had enough on her plate already. 

She gasped as a sudden realization dawned on her. Lux had mentioned the vault, right? The vault where she had stored her most precious artifacts and treasures! Vanlue’s Mobile Vault was a spell that could conjure a door leading to a pocket dimension where one could store their belongings. Most people dismissed it as a redundant and roleplay-only spell, since they preferred using the inventory system. But she had always liked the idea of having a secret vault that only she and her companions could access. And now, it seemed like the inventory system was gone and everything was in her vault.  

Evilian shook her head, dismissing her worries for now. “Let’s go look for them,” she said, stretching her arms. She had not checked the vault yet. Maybe she could still access it with her magic.  

She closed her eyes and focused on the spell, recalling the words and gestures she had learned long ago. She felt a surge of energy in her chest, pulsing with her heartbeat. She opened her eyes and raised her hand, tracing a circle in the air with her finger. A faint blue light followed her movement, forming a glowing ring. She spoke the incantation aloud, feeling the magic resonate in her voice. “Open Sesame!” She sensed a shift in the air, as if something was being torn open. She had to stabilize the frequencies of mana waves clashing with each other, or else the spell would fail. She concentrated hard, balancing the forces that threatened to overwhelm her. Then she saw it: a door appeared in front of her, floating in mid-air. It looked like an ordinary wooden door with a brass knob, but she knew it led to another dimension where all her belongings were stored. She reached for the knob and turned it, eager to see what was inside. 

Evilian pushed the door open and stepped into her vault, followed by Ace. A wave of nostalgia washed over her as she gazed at the shelves and chests that held her treasures. She had collected them over years of playing the game, but now they were more than just pixels on a screen. These items could make a difference in this world. 

She headed for the shelf near the entrance where she had stored her jewellery and accessories. She hoped the rings would be there. They were simple silver bands with small gems that glowed faintly. The gems were enchanted to shield the wearer from harmful effects of sunlight. For vampires like Acedia, they were invaluable. 

She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw them among other trinkets. She grabbed them and felt their magic pulse in her hand. She slipped one on her finger and tossed the other one to Ace, who had followed her into the vault. 

“This should help you cope with the sun,” she said with a smile. 

Acedia caught the ring and put it on. He felt a wave of comfort as he no longer had to fear the sun’s rays. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek. 

“You’re amazing, sis,” he said gratefully. 

She felt a soft kiss on her cheek and smiled. A warm feeling spread in her chest, something new and strange. It was like love and gratitude, wonder and confusion. She didn’t know what to do with his affection. She had lost it long ago in her past life, where her family hated her. And in the game, Ace was just a faithful partner, who only obeyed the game’s AI. She had always treated him as a little brother, but she knew that was fake. And deep inside, she still did that even in this world. But his sweet shows of affection have finally started to crack the wall. He was more than just a game character; he was her family in this world. 

She looked around the vault and wondered if she should take anything else with her. She had so many items that could be useful or valuable in this world. But she decided to leave them for now. She didn’t want to attract too much attention or cause trouble. She could always come back later if she needed anything. 

She let go of Ace’s embrace and took his hand. “Come on,” she whispered. “We have a whole world to explore.” Together, they walked to the door and stepped out of the vault. She waved her hand behind her, closing the door and erasing any sign of its existence. 

She looked at Luxuria, who was waiting for them outside the inn. Luxuria smiled and bowed her head respectfully. “Did you find them, my queen?” she asked. 

Evilian nodded and smiled back. “Yes, let’s go,” she said cheerfully. 

As they walked through the village, they heard a loud voice coming from the other side. Curious, they followed the sound to the shrine, where a man in black robes was preaching to a small crowd. He had blue skin and black hair, and a claw-shaped scar on his forehead that made him look more menacing than he was. His eyes were bright with devotion as he proclaimed his message. 

“The demon queen is back! The demon queen is back!” he shouted with glee. “The demon god has shown me in a vision! His precious granddaughter has returned to this world! Oh, praise the demon god! Praise the demon queen!” 

She stared at the man in disbelief. How did he know who she was? And why did he call her the demon god’s granddaughter? She felt a jolt of memory. She had written a backstory for her character using characters from the game. Her mother was Lilith Tenebris, the first succubus, and her father was Olaf Bathory, a noble vampire. But she had overlooked one detail: Lilith was also a daughter of Inanis, the demon god. She had unwittingly made herself his kin. 

Evilian raised a hand to silence Lux before she could speak. “We can’t afford to expose ourselves yet,” she whispered. “We have no army to defend our territory, and our time is running out.” She had a way to gather an army quickly, but she wanted to explore other options first. Maybe there were other places in her domain where the demons weren’t pacifists. “We don’t want to make things worse by confirming the rumours of my return. Let’s just go to the village chief and ask him some questions before heading out.” She explained. 

She quickened her pace, dragging her companions along. The village leader’s house was easy to spot. It stood next to the only Sakura tree in the village, its pink blossoms a stark contrast to the dull wooden huts. She hoped he would have some answers for her, some clues to where are the sins or if the Oni are willing to defend these lands. 

They reached the house and knocked on the door. A gruff voice answered from inside. “Who’s there?” 

Evilian cleared her throat and spoke loudly. “We are travellers seeking some information. We have come to speak with the village chief.” 

The door opened slightly, and a pair of dark eyes peered at them suspiciously. “What do you want to know?” he asked. 

She glanced at her companions, who nodded encouragingly. She took a deep breath and said, “We want to ask a bit about the history, and the demon queen revival.” 

The man’s eyes widened at their question. He looked around nervously, as if afraid someone might overhear them. “The history? The demon queen?” he muttered. “What do you know about that? Are you one of those fanatics who listen to that mad preacher at the shrine?” 

She shook her head quickly. “No, we’re not. We just heard him on our way here and we were curious.” 

The man relaxed a bit and opened the door wider. “Well, come in then,” he said gruffly. “But don’t go spreading rumours about things you don’t understand. The history of this land is a dark and dangerous one, and the demon queen is our only hope.” He ushered them into his house and closed the door behind them. 

They followed him into a small living room, where a fire was crackling in the hearth. The chief gestured for them to sit on a wooden bench, while he took a chair opposite them. His wife came out of the kitchen with a tray of cups and a pot of tea. She smiled warmly at them and set the tray on a low table. 

“Please, help yourselves,” she said kindly. “And don’t mind my husband, he’s always this grumpy.”  

“Thank you,” Evilian said politely, taking a cup and pouring some tea. She noticed that her companions did the same, following her lead. 

The village leader’s wife sat next to his husband and looked at them curiously. “So, you want to know about the history of this land?” she asked. 

“Yes,” Evilian said cautiously. “We heard that there were several powerful beings called Sins that were locked away by humans long ago. Do you know anything about them?” 

The village chief frowned and stroked his beard. “I know some stories,” he said slowly. “But why do you ask? What interest do you have in those ancient legends?” 

Evilian hesitated for a moment, wondering how much she should reveal. Then she decided to tell him part of the truth. 

“Since we heard that the demon queen might be returning soon,” she said quietly. “So, it seems logical, that she might try to free those Sins.” 

The village leader snorted and shook his head. “Bah, you shouldn’t believe that nonsense,” he said. “There are always people like him who claim to have visions of the demon queen’s return. They’re either mad or lying to stir up trouble. The demon queen is dead, and so are her Sins.” He spat on the ground, as if to show his contempt for them. 

Lux felt a surge of anger at the village leader's actions. How dare he insult her queen and her companions? She clenched her fists and gritted her teeth, ready to lash out at him. But she saw Evilian's calm expression and restrained herself. She knew Evilian had a plan and didn't want to ruin it by acting rashly. She hoped her queen would find a way to make him pay for his disrespect later. 

Oblivious to Lux’s thoughts the man looked at Evilian and her companions with a wary eye. “But I suppose you’re not here to listen to an old man’s ramblings,” he said. “You want to know about the Sins, eh? Well, I don’t know much, mind you. Just some stories I heard when I was young.” He paused and scratched his chin. “Let’s see… there were seven of them, right? Each one standing for a different sin: pride, wrath, lust, envy, greed, gluttony and sloth. They were powerful beings who served the demon queen loyally until she was defeated by a human hero. Then they scattered across the world and were hunted down by humans and other races who feared their power.” 

He leaned closer to them and lowered his voice. “Some say that two of them were never captured by anyone,” he whispered. “They say that Lust and Sloth escaped into hiding and are still alive somewhere in this world. But no one knows for sure.” He shrugged and leaned back. 

He continued his story in a louder voice. “As for the others… well, I only know about one of them for certain,” he said. “Wrath was locked away under the capital of one human country that I can’t remember its name… it started with an ‘i’, I think… anyway, they say that he’s still there, locked in a magical prison to never see the light again.” He shuddered at the thought. 

“The rest… well, I don’t know where they are or what happened to them,” he said. “Maybe they’re dead or maybe they’re still imprisoned somewhere. But it doesn’t matter now. They’re no threat to anyone anymore.” He looked at Evilian with a curious expression. 

“Why do you ask about them anyway?” he asked again. “Do you have some connection to them?” 

Evilian felt a bit guilty as she saw the man’s earnest gaze. She didn’t want to lie to him, but she couldn’t tell him the truth either. She had to find a way to change the subject. 

She smiled and shook her head. “No, I don’t have any connection to them,” she said casually. “I was just curious about the history of this world. You seem to know a lot about it.” She hoped he would take the compliment and drop the matter. 

He nodded and smiled back. “Well, I’ve lived here for a long time. I’ve seen many things happen in this world. Some good, some bad.” He sighed and looked at the sky. “But things are peaceful now. We don’t have to worry about wars or invasions anymore.” 

Evilian felt a surge of anxiety. She knew that peace wouldn’t last long since humans had learned of her return. They would try to attack her domain sooner or later. She had to prepare for that possibility. 

She decided to ask him about the state of the lands in case of an emergency. “What if… what if someone did try to attack you?” she asked cautiously. “How would you defend yourselves? Do you have any weapons or allies?” 

He looked at her with surprise and concern. “Why do you ask that? Are you expecting trouble?” he asked. 

Evilian shook her head quickly. “No, no, of course not,” she said nervously. “I’m just… curious.” 

He frowned and studied her face for a moment. Then he shrugged and answered her question. 

“Well, we are not a violent people,” he said proudly. “We prefer to live in harmony with nature and each other. We don’t like fighting or killing.” 

Evilian felt a twinge of admiration for their pacifist ideals, but also a pang of worry for his naivety. 

“But we are not helpless either,” he continued confidently. “We know how to defend ourselves if we must. We have some weapons stashed in case of emergencies, but we rarely use them.” 

Evilian wondered what kind of weapons a pacifist village like this could have. She doubted they would be any good against human armies. She was also not cruel enough to conscript them into her army, but she needed one to defend her lands.  

Evilian and her companions chatted with the village chief and his wife for a while longer, learning more about the history and culture of his people. He was friendly and hospitable, but also cautious and wary of strangers. He asked them many questions about their origins and intentions, but Evilian avoided giving him any details that might reveal her identity. She thanked him for his kindness and generosity and asked him if he knew of any other towns and villages nearby. He gave her some directions and advice, but also warned her to be careful of the humans and other races that might not share his peaceful views. He wished them good luck and farewell and watched them leave with a mixture of curiosity and concern.   

They spread their wings and soared into the sky, following Evilian’s lead. She headed for the largest town in the vicinity, as the chief had described it. She hoped to find some allies among the races that lived in her domain. The town was located near a border with a human country, but she didn’t think that mattered much. As they flew, scanning the ground below for signs of life, a fierce commotion caught their attention. A group of adventurers was battling a horde of goblins. Among them, a warrior, a priestess, and an archer fought with impressive skill and coordination. 

Luxuria’s eyes flashed with hatred as soon as she spotted them. She had never forgiven humans for what they did to her queen. Without waiting for Evilian’s command, she dove toward them, intent on punishing them for trespassing on her queen’s land. 

“Wait!” Evilian shouted, but Luxuria didn’t hear her mistress’s voice over the wind. 

Evilian saw Luxuria dive toward the adventurers, ignoring her command to wait. She cursed and followed her, with Ace close behind. She knew she couldn’t catch up with Lux, she was already too far.  

By the time Evilian reached the clearing, it was too late. The goblins had fled, leaving behind a gruesome scene. Luxuria had impaled the warrior with her arm, piercing his chest and holding his heart in her hand. It still beat faintly, pumping blood onto the ground. 

The other two adventurers were still alive, but barely. One lay unconscious on the ground, his face pale and bloodied. The other was a priestess who knelt beside him, desperately praying for his recovery. She looked up at Evilian with fear and hatred in her eyes. 

Evilian felt no disgust or fear at the bloody scene before her. Instead, she licked her lips, savouring the metallic tang that lingered in the air. Her breaths quickened, matching her pounding heart. A primal heat spread through her groin, along with an intense thirst that grew with each passing second. She realized her instincts had finally awakened for the first time since she came to this world and she knew that if it weren't for Joharis' mental support, she would have pounced on the source of the blood without hesitation. 

She fought to control herself, but she had never experienced such intense feelings before. The hunger was overwhelming. She glanced at Ace. He looked more composed than her, though a trickle of drool escaped his mouth at the sight of blood. She realized she was at the final stage of starvation, while he was barely feeling any thirst.  

She couldn’t resist any longer. The metallic scent of blood filled her nostrils and called to her, singing a sweet and irresistible melody. She fixated on the priestess's exposed neck, where a vein pulsed with life. In that moment, all sense of reason and compassion abandoned her, and her primal urge to feed took over completely. With ease, she pounced on the priestess, knocking her to the ground. Her fangs sank into the soft flesh, and she drank deeply, savouring the warm blood that filled her mouth. It was a sensation she had never felt before, and it was impossible to describe. 

As Evilian drank, she felt a surge of strength and vitality wash over her. The adventurer's life force flowed into her, filling a void she never knew existed. It was an intense pleasure, unlike anything she had experienced before. It coursed through her body in waves, leaving her breathless and weak with pleasure. Even Joharis, found it difficult to shut off the intense sensations, almost embarrassing himself. It was as if she had been starved for centuries, and now, at last, she was finally being fed. 

Evilian slowly pulled away from the priestess's neck and felt a cold wave of dread wash over her. She gazed upon the once vibrant face of the woman who now lay lifeless before her. The realization of what she had just done hit her like a ton of bricks. She had taken a life, stolen a soul. She should have been filled with overwhelming guilt and disgust for her actions, but instead she felt elated.  

She turned her head and saw Ace still feasting on the archer’s blood, his body limp on the ground. Luxuria stood nearby, her clothes immaculate and unstained. She gazed at her mistress with a satisfied expression, like a loyal servant after completing the orders. 

Evilian bit her tongue as she met demoness’ confident grin. She had no right to judge Luxuria for slaughtering the adventurers, not after she had drained that woman herself. But she still could scold Lux for acting without consulting her first. 

She pulled Lux aside, away from Ace’s curious gaze. “Lux, what were you thinking?” she said harshly. “You can’t just kill anyone who crosses your path. We’re trying to keep a low profile, remember?” 

Luxuria clenched her fist and lowered her gaze. “But they were humans, my queen,” she said defensively. “They deserved to die for invading our land and harming you.” 

Evilian sighed and shook her head. She knew Luxuria hated humans with a passion, but she also knew that not all humans were evil. She was one in her past life, before coming to this world. And besides, she was one now as well. 

“Lux, listen to me,” she said softly, trying to reason with her friend and trusted aide. “I appreciate your loyalty and devotion, but you must be more careful. You can’t let your emotions cloud your judgment. We have a bigger goal than revenge. We have to restore our domain.” 

Luxuria lowered her eyes and nodded slightly. “I understand, my queen,” she said in a subdued tone. “I was foolish and impulsive. I won’t act without your permission again.” 

Evilian reached out and touched Luxuria’s shoulder gently. She looked into her eyes and spoke in a reassuring tone. “It’s alright, Lux. I know you meant well. Just be more cautious next time, alright?” She gave her a small smile and then turned back to Ace, who has just approached her answer. 

He grinned and pointed at the unconscious archer on the ground. “Sis, he’s still alive. Do we finish him or what?” He asked, his voice cheerful and innocent. 

Evilian felt a jolt of shock as she realized that one of the adventurers was still alive. She had assumed that Ace had killed his prey, but apparently, he had left him unconscious on the ground. She wondered what she should do with him. If he escaped and returned to the guild or its equivalent, they would surely send a stronger force to hunt them down. But if he didn’t, someone might come looking for him and bring more trouble. 

A sudden idea flashed in Evilian’s mind. She could use her powers to raise the dead adventurers as ghouls, vampiric minions that would obey her every command. She could even send them to spy on the humans and gather information. It was a perfect solution. She smiled wickedly and turned to Luxuria. “Don’t kill him yet, I have a plan.” 

She whispered her plan to Luxuria, who nodded eagerly. They quickly gathered the corpses of the adventurers and dragged them to a secluded spot. Evilian closed her eyes and focused her power, feeling a dark energy surge through her veins. She opened her eyes and spoke a word of command. The dead bodies twitched and rose to their feet, their eyes turned red. They stared at Evilian with confusion apparent on their faces. 

She opens a door 
To a world of memories 
But leaves them behind 

Switch POV every chapter?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don't Care
Total voters: 13 · This poll was closed on Mar 25, 2023 09:46 AM.
13