B2 — 15. Hidden Benefactors
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For those who want to support me!  Please Rate & Review!

#1 Audiobook in the Coming of Age Fantasy for Teens Category!

ATM V1 Audiobook - (21 Hours Long)

ATM Kindle Book - (185k Words Long)

Patreon - Special Thanks To My 230+ Patrons!

Discord Link - Growing Community o7

 

PoV:

1. Scarlet (Our Little Fang)

2. Rachel (Our Supportive Lunar Hare!)

3. Selvaria (Our Leviathan Outside!)

4. Mystery Girl


Appearing next to Rachel, time moved at a crawl to Scarlet as she breathed in the bloody Grand Ballroom Hall, sampling the tantalizing scent of tension, shockingly sweet on her tongue.  The music and mingling audience’s concealed bloodlust drew her in; after drinking the blue mental mixture Cássia had given her, she’d felt the shackles holding her shatter, setting her free.

Crimson, pupilless irises sweeping the throng, she smiled while moving to lean against the railing beside Rachel and Nia as Cássia attentively stood beside them, maintaining her dignified poise now that they were in public.

The Crimson Moon hardly seemed to move above them, bathing the main dancing area in its ruby glow, and the mist, darkness, bloodlust, and tense edge of fear that vibrated the air continued to grow by the minute.

“I assume you know what happened, Rachel.  Where are we at?  Hmm.  I see Illa going to the bar; I assume Maria purified Illa.  Is she mad?”

Rachel’s left ear twitched, and she could feel the Lunar Hare’s anticipation for what was to come, yet there was a clear edge of caution ebbing out of her.

“Illa was hurt and embarrassed.  I’m sure she’ll let you know when she realizes you’re back.  As for where we are, we’re waiting for the big players to show up and the opening talk…  You don’t sound like yourself.  How are you feeling after that mix you drank?”

Scarlet followed the hare’s gaze, fixated on Aurora, frowning as the Myth of the Baobhan Sith flitted from group to group.  A wicked beauty—hidden behind the mask of a white adder—and a walking fire starter, her shimmering silver hair and glowing aura drew attention to whoever she interacted with as she sowed subtle discord.

Enhanced and focused as she now felt, she could see a strange hypnotic spell the giggling and chatty fae wove in her wake; it was almost visual to Scarlet, her words twisting enemies together to bicker and try to impress her or one-up each other.  However, the most captivating part of the Baobhan Sith was a bizarre ripple that radiated out of her body; there was something… off about the seductive woman, but that was her brand.

Trying to pull her focus away from the enchantress vampire spinning a few male vampires into her web, Scarlet searched for more threats, but her eyes kept returning to Aurora.  A confused shiver ran down her spine that she hadn’t felt toward anyone else thus far.

Why does she feel so… threatening?  Sure, if looks could kill, she would certainly be stacking bodies, but she’s such a red flag that it’s easy to spot her game, which she seems to enjoy and feed into…  There’s something else to it, though.  What can’t I see?

“Scarlet?”

“Hmm?”  Blinking, Scarlet shook her head and added a smile, feeling so much better now.  “I’m just adapting.  I don’t feel all woe is me,” she giggled, bobbing her head to the music and studying Maria and Fiona, talking with Saint Catherine near the foot of the stairs.  “I… don’t think I would hesitate to kill most of these monsters,” she absently stated.  “Is that bad?  I don’t think you would either, Rachel.”

Ears tilting forward, Rachel pushed herself up to level a stare back at Cássia before her focus returned to her.  “I wouldn’t… but you have to recognize that a sudden shift in personality like that for you is something to take a second, or even a third look at.  That being said, we’re going to be splitting up, Scarlet.  I want to trust you to handle yourself.  What do you think?”

One of her fangs poked out as she sank it into her bottom lip, and Scarlet felt a bit more pressure at the plain words.  Rachel was trying to give her more freedom, but it was also a warning, or, at least, in public, that was a warning from the hare.  There was a plot brewing in Rachel’s mind, and she needed to find her place in it since they couldn’t discuss things in private.

She expected to feel stressed, but all that filled her breast was a surge of motivation to prove herself.  “Understood.  I’ll watch and wait…  I feel them coming.”

“Good.”  Rachel nudged her head toward Nia while moving past her to move to the first floor.  She gripped her shoulder before leaving, whispering, “I promised to trust you in this operation, Scarlet.  Trust yourself and your instincts.  I’m proud to see you stepping up to find your own place.  You’re strong; don’t doubt it…  Just think a little more.  We’ll get your dad’s body by the end of this week, so don’t stress it.”

Positive vibes crawled across Scarlet’s skin; it was a light reprimand, but positive overall.

“Thanks, Rachel.  I’ve got your back.”

The hare held up her fist in recognition, and Nia descended the stairs with her master, leaving Scarlet alone with Cássia.  Her gaze followed Rachel, a shiver running through her as the moon’s baleful glow fell across the hare and bunny’s heads, dying them a bright crimson, and significantly increasing her threatening atmosphere.

Scarlet soon looked inward, though, reflecting on her parting words as Cássia moved to stand beside her; Rachel would be doing Rachel things, leaving her to find her own path.  It was such a strange, liberating sensation to be left to her own devices for the first time since changing into a Vespertine Reaper.  There was a place for her in this masquerade, and she had to prove to herself that Rachel’s trust was well-founded.

Her eyes lifted to the hazy fog swirling down from above and tinted red with the lunar sphere overhead, and Leopold took all attention as he stepped onto the stage extended out from the 2nd floor, bathed in rosy light.

I don’t know how this elixir is affecting me.  It doesn’t feel bad, though.  In fact, I feel liberated.  I can do what I have to do.  I’m not the same girl I was…  My parents weren’t who I thought they were, but they do love me.  Mom can be saved.  I have to save her.  But first, I need to make sure no one can do anything bad to Dad’s corpse.  That should be my goal.

 

* — * — *

 

Rachel breathed out the tension in her chest as the Crimson Moon blanketed her, and she felt something new.  This wasn’t any normal celestial sphere; it was an Event Moon.

[Flower of the Crimson Corruption: Active]

Her senses blossomed, the scent of blood taking on new flavors as her body reacted to the fueling luster passing through the light mist.  Taking a finger to her changing mouth, she felt the prick of fangs—more than two teeth—and her sight took a new tint as potential snacks impressed onto her psyche.

“Captain, did we just become vampires?”

Not exactly, she chuckled, holding up her hand and flexing her fingers as her white skin turned maroon, veins illuminating a bright scarlet.  This isn’t like the Unique Blood Moon…  This Negative Energy is all about corruption and spreading its petals.

Filtering out a portion of the mist, she saw the lunar moon with new eyes; like planets had moons, this satellite was surrounded by blooming petals, as if a flower, spreading its pollen over the earth.

An elated smile lifted her lips as the thirst for propagation filled her breast, and how did the Crimson Flowers propagate?  Blood.  She touched the bud that sprouted from her chest, waiting to be fed.  It was going to be an interesting night.

 

[Crimson Flower Embodiment VI - become the embodiment of the Crimson Flower, spreading its corrupting seed and sapping the living to propagate itself.  The Crimson Flower can suck nutrients from spiritual life force or physical blood to grow.]

[Physical Pain Nullification IV - The user is aware of pain, but will not feel the sting it brings.  Other forms of pain may be felt.]

[Divine Seed of Propagation IV - The user becomes the seed and flower, able to regrow themselves from a single bud.]

[Crimson Garden VI - The user can create clones from their seeds; these clones are at most 10% as capable as the user, and require nutrients to sustain.  These clones can further spread the seed.]

[Divine Crimson Garden VI - The user can create clones from their own blood, creating divine seeds; these clones are at most 50% as capable as the user, and require divine nutrients to sustain themselves.  These clones can further spread the seed.]

[Crimson Pollen VI - Twist the minds of those who touch or breathe in the Crimson Pollen, distorting their reality into a sweet waking dream of their own creation or whatever the user desires them to see.]

 

Rachel spread out her fingers as Leopold took the stage, a rose-like flower growing and unfurling itself, taking a part of her own blood.  [Divine Crimson Garden] was potent, but limited.  She could only create one at the moment, which wouldn’t be able to last long without having diminishing returns on herself.

Although, if she spread her roots and grew, then that could change over time.  If she maintained it, then she had a week to bolster her strength, and Nia could help her.

Leopold snatched her eyes as she reached the bottom with Nia, joining Maria, Fiona, and Saint Catherine.  She did a quick check of where everyone was as the opening event began.

Anthony was near the terrace, studying some of the more significant threats.  Illa was drowning in her embarrassment and frustration at the bar, getting hit on by some Noble Vampire that was with another faction, and Scarlet was still at the top of the 2nd-floor staircase, moving further down to get a better angle on Leopold’s speech.  She could only hope that Selvaria was doing her job and securing the cruise ship—though she hoped the Leviathan wouldn’t be too bored, not being part of the Quest.

Leopold cleared his throat, blond hair gleaming with a hint of red in the thin, smoky veil that was filling the giant hall.  “If I could have your attention, dear guests.  I have been tasked with the privilege of speaking to you by the countess, Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed.  Our most anticipated guests are on the eve of making their appearance.  Observe…”

He made a gesture, a stir sweeping the throng as blood seeped out of the pillars holding up the multi-leveled walkways along each of the floors, where over a hundred guests and serving staff filled.  Platforms crystalized into being on each corner of the 2nd level, providing a place for the barons and baronesses to stand apart from the other guests.

“First,” Leopold boldly declared, “welcome our first baron, the head of the Barony of Heitinga; he has been known on this planet as the Baron of Fear, Mystery, and Change.  Please, give a cold welcome to Baron Hrisu Heitinga and his family.”

Rachel’s head tilted upward with everyone else as a colossal blood mirror formed above the well-dressed blond; a handsome, dark-haired man with chiseled features seemed to step through space to be projected to the crowd through the mirror.

Yet, his spontaneous entrance felt like a punch to Rachel’s gut, Nia voicing what they’d both felt.  “That’s the same energy we use with the Greater Harvest Moon!”

Not quite as powerful, she corrected, but yes… he would fit perfectly under the Greater Harvest Moon.  He may not even be a vampire…  There’s something strange about the sounds his body is making, as if something is moving within it.

Baron Hrisu Heitinga’s wavy hair was pulled back, and his strong jaw held a judging demeanor as his imperious gaze fell over the other monsters and hunters below.  Sitting on a throne that rose out of his bloody platform, his relatives did the same after he sat first.

Several others from his court stepped through winding dimensions.  Every one of them would be a pain in the ass to fight, and Rachel could feel the pulsing fear they embodied beating them like a pumping heart.

The creature accepted a glass that bubbled up through the throne, filled with blue liquid, before sampling it with a slight smirk as he leaned in to speak to a woman beside him, presumably his wife.  “Jumpy bunch, aren’t they?  Where could Countess Elizabeth have found these… pests?  She is such a crafty woman to have planned this party before betraying Baron Justican.”

“Hmm.  Poor Lady Audrey must be livid…  It certainly places our House in a better position, and to have had your land stolen,” she giggled, “how embarrassing.  It is a shame Elizabeth made a good impression on Count Talimere.”

Elizabeth was right; these barons and baronesses were far stronger than any of them individually, which made her wonder how powerful Count Talimere was or how the woman managed to gain as much ground as she did.

This is a Tier-2 Legend Quest…  Flower of the Crimson Corruption isn’t as powerful as the Greater Harvest Moon; it’s probably on the lower end of the Event Moons or average.  We need to be careful because it would be hard to fight one of Hrisu’s family members, much less himself.

Nia stepped to the side to stare across the packed hall of hungry monsters and hunters.  “It’s a good thing we are not alone.  I have to wonder why they are following this format, though.  Why don’t they just come in strong and attack at random, causing a panic?”

Rachel chuckled, licking her lips with the anticipation that made her roots want to spread.

Presentation and decorum, Nia.  As Elizabeth insinuated to us in her plan, these things see us as less than ants to be stomped out, but she has somehow wormed her way into higher society, so they have to play by certain rules, and if she has played her cards right, then we’ll get an explanation soon enough.

Leopold went to the next name, gesturing to the left of Rachel, where mist collected to reveal a gaunt, thin woman wearing a slim dress; she looked malnourished, but she was definitely a vampire by her peeled-back lips, displaying thin fangs and appraising them as if a snack to fatten her bones.

“Second, welcome our first baroness, the head of the Barony of Melchiott; she has been known on this planet as the Baroness of the Mists, Veils, and The Silence.  Please, give a cold welcome to Baroness Belleza Melchiott and her family.”

The sickly woman ran her fingers through her ratty blonde hair, taking the throne that rose to accommodate her.  She leaned over to speak to the gaunt, black-haired woman who sat next to her, lips moving, but no sound was heard to Rachel’s hyper-sensitive ears, and her family silently laughed at whatever she said, leering at them.

It was hard to get a grasp on them in the unnatural hush that spontaneously surrounded the area they occupied, and many other conversations around her became blackout zones with the thickening fog.

“Third, welcome our last baron,” Leopold announced, “the head of the Barony of Bruhl; he has been known on this planet as the Baron of The Shadows, The Abyss, and The Deep.  Please, give a cold welcome to Baron Vyse Bruhl and his family.”

Looking up at the mirror before turning with the rest of the crowd to get a proper look at the giant of a vampire, her blood pressure rose as the muscular man materialized like Scarlet, darkness collecting before dispersing, revealing what they’d brought.  All of his family were close to his size, nearing 3 meters tall, and wore robes instead of suits, weapons strapped to their person.

He sat on his large throne, looking right at the Varcolac Twins, who were grinning from ear to ear, their tails wagging with anticipation from behind their wolf-like masks.  No words were spoken, though, leaving Leopold to introduce the last, and potentially, the most important guest—the new Head of the Morgan House after Elizabeth killed her older brother.

“Last, but certainly not least,” he proclaimed, gesturing at a painting of the woman in the mirror, unveiling a gorgeous, alabaster-skinned woman.  Her large bat wings were stretched out to their full length, posing with blood, flowers, and marble architecture in the background.

It was replaced by the live image of her as blood swirled upward, giving form to the bat-winged family, showing blemishless skin, black lips, glowing, ruby eyes, and crimson highlights in their hair.  These ladies and gentlemen wore more gothic-themed attire.

“I have the honor of introducing the new head of the former Barony of Morgan, now the Barony of Báthory.  She has been known on this planet as the Baroness of the Beauty, Blood, and The Rose.  Please, give a cold welcome to Baroness Audrey Morgan and her—”

“Enough of this sham,” Audrey snarled, her soft voice seeping into Rachel’s ears as if she were breathing on them, making her tail stiffen.  She ignored the throne and refreshment that lifted out of the blood platform, wings spreading and forcing her other family members to step back.

“Your Countess has the nerve to perform a hostile takeover of my family land, kill my brother, and trample over our traditions with this farce of a Blood Court?  Are these… rats supposed to represent her side of the Court?  The number is… unsightly.”

Rachel’s ears stood straighter as a small voice cut through the rush of bloodlust that exploded from the baroness, causing her fellow lords and ladies to smirk at her outburst.  It wasn’t Elizabeth, though.

“You are mistaken, Baroness,” Cássia tartly replied, the mirror flipping to her somewhat apprehensive yet determined complexion next to Scarlet, snatching everyone’s attention.  “The Countess has not initiated a Blood Court but a Bloody Masquerade; everyone present can choose whoever side they—”

“Cássia!”  Leopold shouted, getting a flinch from the 13-year-old attempting to defend ‘presumably’ her mother.  “You forget your place.”

“Apologies, Lord, but I cannot hold my tongue.  You got exactly what you wanted, Baroness Audrey.  How many will actually choose to side with my—with The Countess?  You can lawfully cut down every servant she has, twisting your claws into her heart until you’re satisfied to rip it out, retaking your territory!  What more do you want?!”

“Yeah,” Scarlet huffed, drawing attention to herself.  “Are you scared?  It sounds like you’re scared because you don’t know how she killed your brother!”

Giggles came from beside Audrey, which brought the woman’s wide, infuriated eyes to the teenage, bat-winged girl beside her, shoulder-length white hair, highlighted with red streaks, bouncing against her shoulders in her fits, which quickly ceased.

“What was so funny, Harper?”

“Sorry, Mother,” the girl quickly replied, flashing her teeth.  “I just have never heard anyone speak to you in such a way.  It is too bizarre for me to have any other response,” she defended, wings curling in as if to protect herself.  “It will not happen again.”

A sweet mask came over Audrey’s incensed expression as she hummed and turned back to the mirror.

“You are the daughter of Countess Elizabeth, no?  Children can be… tough to raise.  You do hold a certain resemblance in blood to your mother, and I can feel… so much blood being used to keep you alive.  How tragic.  No wonder your mother has not appeared herself.”

I knew it!  Rachel internally seethed.  Everyone treats her differently, and she definitely has an objective in choosing us, specifically Scarlet.  Things are getting so complicated and chaotic…  What is going on?  My Misfortune Sense is going insane!  It’s like a compass spinning in circles…

Cássia’s cheeks flushed, yet she held her tongue as the baroness spoke.  “I have not had the chance to greet you, but my daughter tells me things… curious things.  I do hope we cross in this Bloody Masquerade.  You may be right about one thing, child; I can obtain what I want from this culling party, designed to whittle down the waste for the most… suitable ruler to emerge when our nobility grows too large.”

She held her hands at her front, showing a devilish grin.  “The first night is for getting to know one another more… intimately, so please, feel free to find me amongst the many rooms.  Who knows, maybe our first murder will be tonight.  We can only hope.”

Wings folding in, she gracefully took her chair and adjusted her gothic dress, utterly unapologetic for her outburst.  “Carry on, Lord Leopold.  Let your knights claim their opposition to me.  I look forward to impaling them on Countess Elizabeth’s many wonderful devices she has scattered about my brother’s castle or even sinking my heel into their necks, all while they grovel under my feet.”

Rachel frowned as she caught Aurora making her way back up the staircase, stopping beside the two girls.  The silver-haired vampire’s voice was thoughtful when the mirror swapped to Leopold.  “Bold move, little lady.  It puts a target on your back, though.  Too bad no one can protect you.”

Clearing his throat, the blonde gave a searing glare at Cássia, now holding her elbow and trying to ignore him by talking to Aurora; Scarlet wasn’t looking happy, though.

“Please, accept my apology, Baroness,” the man said with a sweeping bow.  “She will be disciplined for her outburst.  We can continue by asking who will take the barons’ and baroness’ side.  The option is—”

“No, she will not!”  Scarlet defended, shocking Rachel a little with her sudden courage; the blue mixture Cássia had given her had drawn out something powerful within the timid, anime-loving teen.  “If we pick sides, then I’m on Cássia’s side!”

“Scarlet, no!” Cássia hissed, now looking worried as all eyes snapped back to them, the mirror displaying the nervous brunette in sharp detail.  “Take it back.  If you say that, then…”

“Hahaha!”  Audrey’s beautiful voice rang out through the hall.  “No, no, I love it.  Pull her directly into the masquerade and fulfill my wish, dear.  Welcome to the fun, Daughter of Elizabeth.”

Scarlet looked confused as she processed what she’d just done, but Rachel was more focused on the 13-year-old.

Is this my fault for telling her to follow her instincts?!  Shit!  She’s essentially put Cássia as the center of our group to protect, and not her mother.  How are things turning out this way…  Misfortune is in shambles; it’s everywhere with that one action?!  Did Cássia plan this by giving that blood to Scarlet and acting cute?  Aroura is… Aurora…  Ugh!

“Yeah!”  Illa shouted from the bar, completely out of left field.  “Scarlet and I will protect Cássia!  Cássia needs a hug, and even though she makes me sooo mad and tricked me, I can’t control myself—she’s too cute—I’m on Team Scarlet.  I forgive you two, so please let me join you!”

Things are falling apart!  Rachel internally groaned.  If we’re not on Elizabeth’s side, then everyone else can target us!  Elizabeth’s plan is falling apart.  How can I salvage this?

Anthony’s strong voice came from the back.  “I choose to ally myself with Baroness Audrey.  No one else?  No, well, okay.  I’ll just… go over here then.”

Rachel released her stress, feeling a little stability in misfortune from that action, taking the focus off of Scarlet and Cássia.  At least Anthony’s keeping his cool…

She watched as a very bewildered and smiling baroness lifted her hand, causing blood to lift a section of the crystalized floor under Anthony to rise up to their platform.  “And who might you be, my beautiful, mysterious young man?  You certainly would fit within the House of Morgan…  Harper, make him feel welcome.”

“Mmm.  I do like him,” the teenage girl whispered, wings flapping a little as her dangerous, illuminated red eyes appraised the redhead.

“Happy to be on the team!”  Anthony said, playing the charmer.  “I’d like to learn a lot more about your world and house.  You were definitely my first pick due to…”  he rubbed his cheek to take off the makeup hiding his love spot, “obvious reasons.”

“A charmer!”  Harper giggled.  “Oh, yes, I do like him.”

Rachel puffed out a long breath of air as Aurora joined their agitated group, her lulling voice tickling her ears.

“Quite the predicament your little puppy has caused us.  What to do, hmm?  I suppose we can be grateful for a certain handsome, muscular man for providing cover for a time.  But… what to do?”

Glancing around at the thirsty eyes assaulting them, Rachel cursed her bad luck, thinking back to what Eostre said about it being a double-edged sword for her if she wasn’t careful.  They were on the back foot, and now everyone knew the person they were protecting was the vulnerable daughter of the Countess of Blood—she was a hostage option for the groups.

Oh, Scarlet…  I guess this does make things more fun.  No, maybe this is better.  I like the chaos.  I’m better off knowing everyone is my enemy anyway; it makes things easy.

“We kill a bunch of people.  Better sharpen your charm.”

“Oh, darling,” Aurora giggled, making Rachel roll her eyes, “I like it when you flirt.”

 

* — * — *

 

Selvaria boldly stood at the boarding ladder with the captain of the boat, arms crossed and awaiting the ship that she’d sensed coming.  She’d grown bored doing laps around the ship or exploring the seafloor, so she carefully scaled the ladder and met the crew.

They were a bunch of fine folks, employed by Elizabeth’s company and not associated with any of her activities.  At least, that is what she determined after a thorough investigation during the many games they played together—nothing suspicious.

She’d lost the game of cards, but chess was an easy W.  They’d done a scavenger hunt, pool contest—in her human form, of course—trivia, mini-golf, and even a singing competition that… she didn’t win.  Now, a real threat was here, and she was ready with her crew, armed with extinguishers, a single ax, and flare guns!

“You don’t know this pirate ship?”  she asked, glaring at the boat waving a jolly roger; it was cute, though, having a seahorse and shells on it.  “Real pirates.  Cool.  But not cool.”

Captain Nemo shook his head; he didn’t have a submarine or powers.  “Nope!  I was just told to wait for Dracula, which… isn’t a pirate ship, since he’ll be, you know, flying out of a plane or something.  Like I said, we’re kind of prisoners here.”

“Not with me on your side,” she boldly proclaimed.  “Oh, here comes the first wave.  Hold fast, men and women.  We are about to be boarded.  Throw them off the plank and make them smell like sardines.”

A redheaded woman poked her head up, wearing a charming half-smile.  “Welcomed, am… I not?  I got goods and booty ta sell.  Tax-free!  Some amazin’ booze offloaded from ol’ Cuba—ah-hah!  I see your eyes light up, my good sir.  Yes, indeed, I’m carryin’ cigars!  Interested, frightenin’ and pretty monster girl?”

Unsure if it was a trap, Selvaria lifted an eyebrow.  “You’re distracting me so your crew can sneak on from the side, aren’t you?”

“Crew?”  the redhead glanced down.  “Aye, eh… I don’t really be havin’ a crew as of yet, but, eh, I make due.  Oh!  You wouldn’t happen ta be on market, Lass?”  she chimed, flashing her teeth and jumping onto the deck, making the ragtag crew retreat a little.  “I’d love ta have ya!  Any of ya gamble?  I’m lookin’ for a lil’ fun—oh, and don’t be mindin’ the ship.  She’s portable!”

Selvaria’s eyes widened as she snapped her fingers, and the entire boat erupted in blue flames and vanished before the woman held out a hand like she was welcoming them onto her ship.  “Name’s Cahira, Legend of Grace O’Malley!  What do ya do fer fun ‘round these waters, Ms…”

“Selvaria,” she said, taking her hand to test her strength.  It was very weak.  “You really sail alone?”  She went to the side to look for anyone trying to get onto the cruise ship.  “No one.  I feel like you’re tricking me somehow…”

Cahira flexed her fingers, straining a laugh.  “Oof!  Quite the grip there, Love.  Uh… nope.  I just got outta Ireland, ya know?  I’m lookin’ fer a little adventure.  And a random cruise ship on open seas?  It sounds kind of fun, eh?  Do any of ya lads or ladies gamble?  I’m lookin’ for some good bets!”

“Okay, Ms. Suspicious,” Selvaria said with a slow nod, “we’ll see how good you are.  I’m suspecting sabotage, but know that I could swallow you in one bite.  So don’t do anything funny.”

Pulling up on her low-riding leather pants, her hips swayed in a seasoned sea-traveled sort of way as she plucked at her crop-top and turned to grin at her.  “Well, that’s gonna be a hard sell for me, sweet thing, because I’ma true red pepper troublemaker!  And yer tellin’ me ya can swallow all of this,” she asked, gesturing at her curvy figure, “in one bite?!  Ooh, don’t tempt me, Love!  Now, where’s the bar?  This ass needs a drink!  Hahaha!”

 

* — * — *

 

Aurora twisted her hips in a slow dance with one of the opposing vampires in the swirl of chaos that ensued from Scarlet’s declaration.  She was more or less along for the ride, so Rachel could do all the planning and dealing with Selene’s death.  She’d have fun.

Parties were being picked, and the tense atmosphere of murder was hypnotic, taking over her mind.  She couldn’t control herself; her knees felt weak, hooves moving in lockstep with her enemies, casting her binding spell in a fevered rush.

Not soon into her dance, a reflection in the bloody pillar nearby drew her back to earth.

“Mmm.  I was enjoying myself, handsome, but I’m being called away, so give your lovely patron my regards,” she winked while spinning away, “I’ll knock later.”

Without skipping a beat, she walked to the sway of the music humming through the walls.  Lovely chaos made her sway with the bloodlust surging through her veins as she opened one of the many doors lining the hallway to be the first to enter one of the side rooms.

The tempting chatter outside died the second she pressed her back against the door, closed it, and looked around the dimly lit, cozy space.  She closed her eyes, letting the ecstasy of the party behind her fade with the withdrawal that shivered through her bones; this was not where Aurora would be.

Opening her eyes, she saw her twin, or at least she appeared to be, with the exception of her black adder mask instead of the white one she wore.  “What can I do for you, my everything?  I am yours to use,” she chimed, feeling elated as she blinked and her twin changed.

A cute, black-haired teenager with pink eyes—a beauty mark under the left—appraised her with a tempting smile as her single gloved hand rose to take off her mask, moving forward to walk around her in a slow, giggly way.  Her poniard-shaped pupils were daggers against everywhere she looked, making Aurora feel inadequate.

“Want to play a game, my puppet?”

“Oh?  Exciting!”  she chirped, arms held tightly at her front.  “What’s your wager?  I shouldn’t be away for too long or…”

“Nonsense!  Embrace the chaos… you did when tricking Scarlet into defending Cássia.  I loved it!”  her benefactor laughed, a new slow song spinning out of nowhere to replace the instruments and making her belly squirm with delight at the praise.

The pink-eyed girl plucked at the top of her unique, strapless dress, attached to the bell choker around her neck that tinkled with her movements to the music.  “Wager?”

Aroura’s throat caught as the 19-year-old twirled to her front and cupped her cheeks, looking up directly into her eyes with glee.  “No peeking!  Close your eyes.”

Throat dry, Aurora closed them, breathing heavily as hot fingers caressed her arm, tickling her skin as her hand was pried open, and something hard was placed inside it.  The shape was too real, and her other hand was brought around to clasp the object.

“Benefactor?”

“Open up!”  she chimed, bringing her arms up.  “Why… the death of a faker, of course!  What else?  Let’s play a game before your meeting!”

Aurora’s hair stood on end as her vision cleared to see herself wielding a small, cute rose-themed revolver, aimed right at the teen’s head.  “First one’s free,” she winked, Aurora finding it hard to breathe as a smile brightened her cheeks, and she pulled the trigger.

Confetti exploded out of the end, making the teen giggle.

“Your turn now!  C’mon, c’mon!  Show me your beautiful face!”

Licking her dry lips, Aurora put the gun to her own head and pulled the trigger, legs feeling weak as a bang sounded, confetti spraying her.

“Hehehe!  Wow, I… I shouldn’t be doing this—not now!  Please…”

“So what if this isn’t what you should be doing?”  the teen whispered, bringing the gun to her head, face now masked by the black adder.  “Let me tell you what foolishness is…”

Aurora quivered as she pulled the trigger, flinching as the firing pin struck, hitting a fake round and spraying more confetti over her insane, suddenly disappointed benefactor, staring at the gun as if defective.  Aurora’s legs gave way, the rush of adrenaline spiking as her green dress rose up before settling around her, breathing becoming ragged.  An uncharacteristic giggle slid through her throat, yet she couldn’t pull her gaze away from the crazy teen, joining her on the bloody carpet, and hypnotizing her with her intense, dagger-like eyes.

“Pretending to be smart, like you do.”

Aurora pulled the gun up to her own temple again, an inferno roaring up from deep within, making her sweat, and she flinched as she pulled the trigger again—confetti blanketed her.  Laughing and feeling like she would pee herself, Aurora frowned as the final two rounds clicked into place, and she slowly shook her head, now trembling as the disguised, very familiar teen she’d known all her life pulled it up to her forehead.

“Then… what is a Fool?”

“No… no, I-I can’t!”

“What is a Fool?”

A crazed smile lifted the girl’s chaotic eyes as she pressed the barrel into her skin.  Aurora couldn’t pull it away—she didn’t want to; she couldn’t—arms trembling, she couldn’t control herself, and she pulled the trigger.  A pop came as she snapped her eyes shut, only to hear soft words bleed through her ringing ears.

“Knowing when to act clueless… like I do.”

Teary vision clearing, she looked up, not knowing when she’d stood up or raised her arms, the final round aimed at the raven-haired actress’ head again—the face she’d known all her life—her real face.

“Don’t you get it now?  What is Chaos?”

“No!”  She tried to move the gun away, but it was as if she were fighting a god for all the good it did.  “No!  I don’t like it!  I don’t like it!”

“Me!”  She pulled the trigger, the bullet entering her brain for confetti to exit the back with a whirlwind of information, colors, and images.  “I am Chaos!”

Joy, unlike anything she’d felt, ripped through her as she was sucked into a cyclone of elation, entering a dimension she couldn’t hope to understand.  Flashes of the many characters she’d played over her 14 years of acting, the lives she’d taken and replaced swirling before her eyes as she morphed into each one in third-person.  It was like warm hands sliding up her spine, caressing down her belly, and slowly gripping her throat to strangle the air from her lungs.

All at once, her teary eyes came into focus beside a fireplace; across from her was a familiar blonde woman her benefactor had shown her in dreams.  The beautiful woman showed a sad smile as she leaned against the back of her hand.

“I see you’re back, Aurora… or should I call you Eden Picot?  An anagram for the name you gave yourself.  Cute.  Killing Aurora just before she met with Selene in Scotland and mimicking her powers with Eris’ support was a clever touch to infiltrate the organization due to her personality.”

A polite smile brightened Eden’s lips as twinkling light and color swirled around her, revealing her true, black-haired 19-year-old self as she slid her adder mask up a little.

“Twilight!  Hehehe.  It is my pleasure!  And paying Aurora has been quite enjoyable; the pretty flirt can get away with murder,” she cooed, crossing her legs while bobbing left and right.  “I am suspicious that you let my presence slip your tongue to our dear bloody host, though.  Why so mean?  I wanted to see the look of shock on her face!  Hehehe.”

“Oh, I am sure your manipulations will have been shocking enough to satisfy by the end of this drama,” the golden-haired woman whispered.  “Of course, you have the talent to play just about anyone, yet being a young star of a world-hit monodrama must have been difficult for you, despite the success.  That being said, it must be even more challenging to be the Mystic of Eris.  You do reflect your goddess, at least.”

“You know how to flatter!”  Eden giggled.  “I love what I do, but what can my benefactor and I do for you?  I will say it has been fun to see Rachel think the Scarlet Hand has been stumbling due to her actions; she’s so cute and smart!  It’s almost as if she is hiding who she really is, hmm?”  she playfully asked, a wicked grin lifting her eyes.

Twilight’s mouth curled.  “Well, she had some effect on bringing you into their crosshairs since you wanted to see how Nike was doing and meeting the hare who manipulated Dionysus to his… end.  You, or more specifically, your benefactor, is the most dangerous thing in this Legend Quest.”

“More flattery!”

“There is much to praise.  Well, I don’t want to take up all of your time for Rachel to start missing you, so… why don’t we have a short little chat to see where we line up?”

Teeth flashing, Eden replaced her mask, calling upon her goddess to share her body, splitting the adder down the center, one-half black, the other white.  “I’m always up for a change in script!  Hehe.  What elation do you have in mind?”


Discord Link - Growing Community =D

View and help contribute to the Wiki

 

Support me on Patreon and get up to:  Note that Instead of 'first of the month' billing, I have opted into 'pay on the same day you sign up'!

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) ahead in A Tail's Misfortune

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in The Oscillation Rewrite

+ 4 Chapters (4 Weeks) Ahead in UE Rewrite

+ 10 Chapters (10 Weeks) Ahead in PokéSync (Pokemon Fanfic)

- 8 Chapters in The Power Of Cuteness And Positivity

- Soul's Requiem - Getting ready for Amazon Release (whenever I get the cover art T_T)

+ Random stories, such as Mystic:  My First Attempt At A Male Protag Isekai

+ Access to Polls

+ All my commissioned artwork is up for free on my Patreon!

image

Current Books on Amazon and Audible:

 

4