Chapter 36 – Nighttime Pests
2.7k 17 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few moments after we ran out of things to talk about, Lucia and I simply just drifted off to sleep while still in each other’s arms.

And we probably would have stayed like that for the rest of the day if it weren't for a bird that accidentally collided with my dorm room window.

“Ugh, fuckin owl.”

Lucia remarked after rubbing her eyes a little.

“Genuinely, I have no idea why those things even exist in the first place, literally any other bird could probably outclass them.”

“What about the ones that can’t fly or the ones that aren’t nocturnal?”

I asked playfully.

“Okay, maybe not those ones, but every other type of bird could probably annihilate them in a matter of minutes.”

“I never knew that you hated owls so much.”

“To be fair, you’ve never gone to a nighttime festival with me before.”

Lucia said before gently poking the left side of my face.

“Fair enough.”

“Speaking of which, it looks like it’s getting a bit late. We should probably go get dinner.”

“Didn’t Loren lock up the classroom early today? You know, to have time to remake all of the tests that Marie destroyed?”

“Ah, you don’t have to worry about that. Whenever Loren locks up early, she usually leaves a few boxes of food outside for anyone who couldn’t get it in time.”

Lucia said before getting up and putting on her shoes.

“Guess there’s no getting out of it then.”

I remarked after following suit and leaving the warmth of my bed.

“Don’t be too disappointed. You know that you can snuggle with me whenever you want, right Otto?”

Lucia said in a mischievous tone.

“Yeah yeah.”

I replied while trying my best to feign indifference.

Though, based on the smug look I got from Lucia, I’m pretty sure my efforts were in vain.

When we finished getting our stuff together, Lucia took my arm and started ushering me in the direction of the Abjuration classroom. 

Since it was pretty late, the path we took wasn’t that crowded, and the only real obstacles we had to deal with were a few spiders.

“Hey Lucia, not that I’m complaining or anything but you know that you don’t have to hold onto me that tightly, right?”

“Shut up Otto and just keep walking.”

Lucia said hastily before further tightening her grip on my arm.

In turn, I simply just nodded and continued walking towards the Abjuration classroom.

A few moments later, we made it there and found out that both our hunches were correct.

As the classroom’s door was locked and there was a barrel filled with tightly wrapped sandwiches lying outside.

“Right, let’s quickly just both grab something and then go to my room.”

Lucia, said hastily before grabbing the first sandwich that she saw.

In response, I just did exactly as she asked.

Mostly because I didn’t want to be partially responsible for half of the school getting burnt down.

After Lucia and I finished snatching our sandwiches, we ran to Lucia’s room.

And by the time we got there, the both of us were pretty out of breath.

“Fuckin hell… why’s there always so many spiders around here at night?”

Lucia said, while locking the door behind her.

“Spiders are nocturnal.”

I replied while trying to catch my breath.

“Wait… those freaks of nature don’t go to sleep at night?” 

“You didn’t know that?”

“…Nope, and on a completely unrelated note, do you mind staying over for the rest of the night, Otto?” 

“I mean, it wouldn’t be the first time I stayed over, so sure.”

I said nonchalantly.

“Thanks.”

Lucia said simply before sighing a little.

Then she took a seat on the floor and started unwrapping her sandwich.

“Anyway, what did you end up getting from the bin, Otto?”

“No idea, it kinda looks like chicken that’s been injected with what looks to be… green beans and rice?” 

I replied, while trying to discern what exactly I had grabbed.

“Oh nice, I think that’s one of the better dinner options.”

“Are the dinner options different everyday? Because I don’t remember seeing this last time we had dinner over there.” 

“Yup, though the ingredients in all the dishes are pretty much always the same. Well, except during April for some reason.”

Lucia said before taking a bite out of her sandwich and getting up from her seat. 

“Anyway, since you’re not gonna be leaving anytime soon, could you help me set up my telescope, Otto? There’s something I really want to see tonight.”

“You have a telescope?”

“Yeah, I have the parts stored in my closet.”

Lucia said before walking over to her closet and starting to rummage through it.

“I see, is it hard to set the thing up?”

“Since the person who owned it before me had a knack for misplacing telescope parts, yeah it’s gonna be a bit hard to set the telescope up.”

Lucia said after pulling a large wooden box out of her closet and blowing some dust off of it.

“Oh also the manual is not in a language that either of us know, so we’re gonna just have to wing the whole thing.”

“I feel like you just gave me the opposite of a sales pitch.”

“Look, do you want to help me with this or not?”

Lucia said before moving a bit closer, and looking up at me with her bright red eyes.

“…That’s so unfair.”

“Is that a yes?”

Lucia asked mischievously.

“Well, yeah….” 

“Great! Then let’s start with the legs of the telescope.”

Lucia said while putting the box filled with miscellaneous telescope parts on the floor and examining a few of the parts that were inside.

In response, I just nodded and began doing the exact same thing.

Though, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t as focused on the task as her.

As instead of directing most of my attention towards building the telescope, I was mainly focusing on how Lucia's various features were currently getting illuminated by the moonlight that shone through her dorm room window.

108