4. Greater than the Greatest
72 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One look was all it took for me to recognize her. She was still young. Only 15 years old but she already looked so sharp. Alisa Nuremberg that is her name, she was the woman I saved from the maws of the Bakunalis. But, more than that, she was also the first Noble I offered my service to.

“Serf Archon greets  Lady Nuremberg.”

“You are.” the lady’s eyes immediately widened in shock at the sight of me. As she should. After all, the last she saw me I was bleeding and screaming at her to quickly escape.

“How dare a Serf not only inconvenience a Noble but also not get on his knees! You impudent bastard! Guards! What are you doing seeing this brat disrespect your master?!” From the other side of the carriage, another man walked out screaming and shouting at my “audacity” or however he saw it.

It was a young man. Not even in his twenties yet had wrinkles forming on his forehead from how much he scowled.  He was wearing a black suit. The attire is often worn by either a butler or an attendant. His hair was slicked back and wore white gloves to not associate with the dirt of the lower class.

The Guards looked at each other. They were hesitant to follow Balkan’s orders seeing an injured young man like myself. At least they have a conscience.

“What are you all doing!? Hurry up!”

“Balkan!” Thankfully, they didn’t have to think much as their true master finally spoke up, “That is enough. You are the boy who saved me, right?”

“I am honored to be remembered.”

“It is a good opportunity for us to meet here. I was on my way to seek you out and I do not know why an injured person like you are here in the forest, but get in the carriage. I’ll take you back to your Village.”

She offered to get me into the carriage, but I hesitated, “Erm.” 

“What’s wrong?”

“Erm… I was actually here in hopes of meeting Lady Nuremberg.”

“You expected my arrival?” She smiled in amusement and curiosity. She must be wondering where I learned how to speak, “Hmm, then to walk all the way here in anticipation for my arrival, you must have wanted to talk to me without the Village’s presence. I see, then, get in the carriage. We’ll talk inside.”

She’s as smart as I remember her to be, “Thank you for your understanding.”

“It is the least I can do to accommodate my savior.”

I was invited into the carriage. Inside, I was face\-to-face with Lady Nuremberg. 

“Balkan, you do not have to accompany me here. Go and stay outside with Mr. Capone.” Lady Nuremberg said to him.

But Balkin refused, “This impudent serf who does not even know his place. To stop a Nobles carriage like that and to not give you the proper respect you deserve. I cannot dare step out knowing you would pardon him if he is to speak out of turn.”

Balkan was being rude. I don’t think he even considered it being so but merely speaking a fact. And he’d be correct. 

Yes, I didn’t get on my knees to greet a noble. A Serf would be the lowest amongst the social hierarchy if not for the existence of Slaves. To not bow was worthy of getting batoned ten times on the back of the knees.

Yes, Lady Nuremberg would not pursue any disrespect I would say to her. Not only because she owes me her life for saving her from the Bakunalis. But that's just who she was. A kind woman who tries to understand the people around her. 

I could understand where he was coming from. But, I was also aware of Balkan’s identity. 

Balkan was the son of the Nuremberg Family’s Head Servant. His Family carried the title of Baron and acted befitting of their role in supporting the Nuremberg Family. He was raised to act accordingly to not humiliate their masters.

A righteous teaching to be passed down. Or so it would have been if it was taught properly. But the recent generation of Balkan’s family had begun to see themselves as far above others. He was the very definition of a Classist.

When I was recruited to be the Servant of the Numremberg Family, he did not make my life easy. He would constantly berate me even when I did everything perfectly. 

“Tsk, it’s still dirty.” He would complain even when there was nothing wrong.

“I’m sorry, I’ll do it again.” Even then, I knew what he was doing. But, all I did was lower my head and accept his words.

“Yeah, you better, it’s dirty because you carry with you dirt everywhere you walk. Tsk, why did they hire a fucking serf?” 

 I thought that if I tried and acted better, I would be accepted. But the better I got at my job, the more he hated me.  At some point I became Alisa’s direct Attendant. Claiming that I was impudent for even standing as a Noble’s direct Attendant. 

Seeing a Serf like myself talking to Nobility or rather, stopping their carriage was the height of impudence. Even if Lady Nuremberg pardoned me for my mistake, if Balkan had his way, he would not have hesitated to have me beaten by the accompanying guards as he had ordered just now.

“I wish for Lady Nuremberg to excuse my inability to get on my knees. I remain unable to properly bend my knees without opening my wound. But if her Lady wishes, I will—” 

“No, please, do not. Balkan, stop pressuring Archon. Can you not see that he is injured from saving MY life? How dare you speak to him like that? I apologize for my Servant’s attitude, Mr. Archon.”

“Thank you.” I said my thanks and gently lowered my head.

“My Lady! What are you doing lowering your head to a Serf!?” Seeing her Master lower her head alerted Balkan.

“This is your fault. To speak so arrogantly to the person I owe my life to. Do you wish to tarnish my honor as a Knight? Apologize to him as well!”

“But, My Lady! How can I…”

“Do you mean that someone I lowered my head to because of your mistake is beneath you? Are you looking down on me, Balkan?” Alisa raised her voice.

“Lady Nuremberg, I am not worthy.” I pleaded for them to stop. I looked panicked on the outside, but I was enjoying every second of it.

Balkan was visibly frustrated. But he could only follow Alisa’s orders, “I-I-I apologize.” he apologized through gritted teeth.

“That’s enough, now Balkan, get out.”

“What? Bu—”

“Out.”

He wanted to say something. But Alisa had already crossed her arms. To those who know her, that meant she had already made up her mind.

He glared at my direction but he could only follow Alisa’s orders.

With my head still lowered I cracked a satisfied smile and from the corner of my eyes, I saw his expression immediately soured. But before an injured man who risked his life for the lady he served, he could not even say any further.

“I am thankful for defending me, Lady Nuremberg. But, to be cause of the rift between the two of you I—”

“Do not worry about it. He needs to be knocked down a peg for his behavior.” Alisa had always disliked Balkan for his classist behavior. He had never been able to erase his distaste for those below him.

This was actually the main reason why I was chosen to be her Direct Attendant instead of him. 

‘This would most likely begin the rift between the two.’ I can already see the implications of this incident, ‘He’ll most likely go and suck up to the other asshole.’

But still, I found one thing interesting, ‘Not even once did he try to kick me out for being suspicious. He never even suspected me of being an assassin aiming for Alisa’s neck.’

From start to end, Balkan disliked me for being a Serf. And for some reason, I couldn’t even be mad. Just surprised a person like him existed.

Alisa clapped loudly to clear the tension in the air, “Well enough is enough. Let us get to the point of this meeting. If you were anticipating my presence, you must not be some normal person. I wonder, what else did you anticipate?”

“If Lady Nurember—”

“It’s Miss.” she suddenly interjected.

“Huh?” I looked at her and she was smiling with amusement.

“Call me Miss Nuremberg or Young Miss. Lady Nuremberg is my Mother.” 

My face flushed, “I apologize for my ignorance!”

“Don’t be. It is already impressive for a Serf to act with such manners and bearing. Well then, continue.” her smile softened as she corrected me.

“Thank you for understanding.”  my face flushed still, ‘I didn’t expect her to actually correct me.’

I planned on acting with bearing and intelligence to let Alisa get a clue how I could make such calculations. But to not look too suspicious that I was sent by someone by another organization I made sure to make one glaring mistake.

Like how I addressed her.

I thought she would just keep quiet. But to think she would play with this old man’s heart. I could only grumble in embarrassment.

“Excuse, I would like to proceed.”

“Go on.”

“I shall begin now, then I believe the Lady is here to help me. You must carry medicine and potion to help my recovery as a sign of appreciation and reward for what I have done. I could also guess that Lady Nuremberg would try and recruit me as a servant to open opportunities for my lowly self.”

The more I talked the more Alisa’s eyes started to widen. By the end of my words, her mouth was slightly ajar, “...you’re correct. It appears that it’s not just your bravery that is impressive. You’re also smart….”

“Thank you for your praise, Young Miss.” Of course I’m right. I can still vaguely remember the vents of that time. I’m just cheating.

“Well then, if you know everything already. Then this makes things easier. Serf Archon. Become a servant of my house. Once you do, you will be given basic necessities and payment. You will not have to hunt and will be granted freedom.”

“...I have to refuse, Young Miss.”

“...why?” I expected her to be angry or have more questions. But, she just asked me a question with a smile still on her face and her eyebrows lifted in curiosity. Was she amused by all this?

Well, this is still in the realm of the many possibilities that I conceptualized. After all, if Alisa would get angry from something like this. I would have just let things go their way.

But she was eccentric. She didn’t like normalcy and pursued things that’s out of the ordinary.

That’s why she practiced the sword and started walking the Martial Path despite being a woman.

So I took advantage of this fact. After all, I didn’t want things to go the way it did before.

I took a deep breath and prepared my answer, “I… do not wish employment to be my reward. I ask the Young Miss a reward equal to what I have accomplished.”

At first she was confused. But as she realized the meaning of my words, her lips curled up into a smile before laughing without worrying about appearances, “Haha… Hahahahah! How greedy! How truly greedy of you! But I agree. Employment is not enough. ”

[Give me something that is equivalent to your life.] that’s what I essentially asked her. Audacious… but bold. Something she would find funny and entertaining.

She looked me directly in the eyes as she smirked, “I agree, with you. Sadly, I do not have something of equal value. So, I must prepare for it first!”

The entire time of the conversation she just laughed and laughed between sentences. But it all ended with her telling me that she would return.

“Do you really not need me to take you back?”

“I thank the Young Miss for the offer, but I will be fine.”

From inside the carriage I saw Balkan glaring at me. But I didn’t pay him no heed.

They decided to turn back after our talk. But not before leaving me behind a small box that contained medicines. 

As I watched them leaving, I could not help but flash a sad smile, as I turned my back and started heading back to the Village. 

“...with this… the ball is rolling.” I whispered underneath my breath.

I already made a decision to change everything.

In the past, Alisa arrived at the Village while I was bedridden, she thanked me and offered me a chance to her Mansion where I would become a Servant of her Family. 

Being a Servant of Nobility meant that I would be raised from being a Serf to a Peasant. Or in other words, I would be a common person. Someone who would have a chance to live differently from his parents.

The me of the past took this offer without hesitations. My family even saw it as the best opportunity I could take.

I would have loved to take the chance to once again serve the Nuremberg Family. Chance their Fate as thanks for what they have done for me.

But… I could no longer do such a thing.

At the final moments of my life, I had already pledged my heart, body, and soul to the sole person I would ever kneel to or obey without question. 

She was the one who pulled me from the maws of death.

I am the Dragon Lord Metis’ Attendant. Even in this life. That will never change. I will return to her side. And this time. She I will not become the stain in her name. 

I will not become the reason why those Dragons would look down upon her radiance.

I will become better so I can confidently stand by her side.

But to do that. I need to become someone worthy. So I cannot be someone else’s servant. 

I cannot be ordinary. 

I cannot just offer my loyalty alone.

I need to be more.

Greater than an Emperor.

Greater than a Grandmaster.

Greater than an Archwizard.

Greater than a Sage.

All so that could be worthy of standing by My Lady’s side.

And to not bow to anyone would be the start of it all.

“I will return to your side, Lady Metis.”

 

Thanks for reading :)

3