7. Training
48 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Eastern Section of Village] — [Training Grounds]

It had been a week since I returned. And these past five days, I’ve been in more trouble than I have ever been in the past. While Dad found it entertaining, Mom was less inclined to smile.

“I’m not even going to question why you initiated a challenge to your younger brother when you’re heavily injured. But, to beat him repeatedly, hitting him again and again on the head… oooohhh, you’re lucky you’re injured.”

My fear of mom was only reinforced. I mean, she is a kind woman, but testing her limits would be the end of my life, ‘I’ll be hanging upside down if I don’t watch myself. ‘

Luckily, she resets after a good night’s rest. So I was given another chance to do what I wanted. Though I could feel her eyes burning a hole on the back of my head from time to time. She was ready to put a stop to any and all stupidity that I’d get myself into. And I can’t really blame her. I had given her too much of a reason in just a few days.

So, for the past few days, I’ve been the epitome of a good son. Only focusing on recovering. Doing light activities, like walking… and putting my younger brother in place.

Speaking of Bass, he has had a complete 180 in how he treated me.

“Master, here is this unworthy disciple’s side dish.” Bass offered the roasted fish he loved so much.

Mom and Dad were so shocked that they thought that I had hit him a little bit too hard.

But, Bass was quick to refute them, “No, Mother, I wa

His apology and words only resulted in my parents believing I hit him too hard. To which I responded by dismissing their claims, “Hey, he’s more respectful now. I did good, if you ask me.”

Tok*

“Ow.”

Dad lightly hit me on the head with his hand as he reprimanded me, “He has, but don’t take his place. Got it? It feels like you’ll be a bigger head”

“Yes, Dad.” It was a timely warning as well. Considering that I might just lose sight of my goals. Spending time in a small pond would not only be constraining, but also blinding, ‘It isn’t my talent that’s letting me do this anyway. In terms of skills, he has far more raw talent. I am just using my know-how to gain the upperhand.’

Oh yeah, Nina claimed the offerings Bass made, saying, “Brother Arc made a deal with the General!!” She had a good memory for a six year old. I was more than happy to give Nina what I was eating. But because I was technically a patient. Mom had to fight my rights to the side dishes so I could recover quickly.

Nina cried, but she reluctantly agreed, “The deal will be resumed when Brother Arc is healed.” She claimed as she wiped the tears off her eyes.

She’s a true genius, I’m telling you. 

But, I didn’t really mind being reprimanded. After all, the last thing I wanted was Bass growing up to be an incorrigible adult… like me. 

‘I don’t want him to become arrogant.’

Now that’s over. What am I doing in the Training Grounds of the Village then? It was also early in the morning when the morning dew was just arriving into the world.

Well, there are four reasons.

First would be the World’s Breath was most active during this time. If you meditate, or in my case walk around the Training Grounds while breathing in a set manner, it actually activates the body and strengthens it by basking in the power of nature.

I learned to do this when I was forty years old whilst browsing through the massive records in My Lady’s library. When I asked about it, she said it was gifted to her by a Mortal Claiming to have reached eternity.

“At the time I was looking into the strange movements of stars. I felt a great disturbance in the world and a servant of mine—the Sea Dragon King of the time— said he knew what was happening. Turns out, a human managed to find how to connect their corporeal self to the stars and give form to the Celestials in this Mortal World. I was curious so I was asked if I could meet him. The Sea Dragon King brought his friend to the Sky Mountain Palace—that’s gone now. He was an Old Man. Whose bear touched the ground. When I met him, he was already 596 years old. He should’ve been dead five human lifetimes ago, but he was still spry. 

“He even managed to summon the constellation in this world. We spoke a lot of things, and he even helped me with the questions that had been pestering me. He claimed that there was another realm that had not been tapped into yet. It was called the Celestial Constructs. That there were spirits of Myths and Legends, written in the Heavens through the Stars. After he told me this, I overlapped it with my own findings that these stars were and lights were balls of massive energy. At the time I thought it was nonsense, but ten years later, I discovered that there was another layer in the Cosmos. An incorporeal reality that designs the celestial charts. And these beings were strong, but they had no body and I realized that they were letting the old man borrow their strength because that was their only way of stepping onto the Mortal World. These constructs are now called Constellations. I can’t believe you do not know this. I heard that the old man was a well-known figure amongst humans. He’s the progenitor of Star Readers and Clairvoyants.”

“I do not know. But for reference, when did this happen again, My Lady?”

“Around 7000–8000 years ago.” she answered with nonchalance as if it was normal.

“Then that explains it.” but, one thing bothered me still, “If the old man gained such powerful powers using this method. I doubt humans would or other raises would let him be. Why is this method not popular? After all, we have chased the stars for so long.”

My Lady sighed at the question, “They did. Elves, Demons, Spirit Walkers, Beastfolks, even some of the Mythicals. They sought the power out and it resulted in the old man’s death. He died and then his research was destroyed in a fight. What remains of his research became what is known as a Cultivation Method but was heavily changed. I heard some humans practice Cultivation by replacing the Constellation with the Souls of Monsters. Effective, but it turns them into monsters themselves if done incorrectly. Some variations were made. Some instead harnessed the power of nature. Some applied it to Sorcery and developed Summoning. Then some of the records were interpreted in how to read the future through the Spirits of the Cosmos becoming Star Readers, Clairvoyants, and Fortune Tellers. Before long, even his name was forgotten. Well, maybe it was for the best. Such power wielded by many, would be a disaster.”

What I had in my hand was the last remaining copy of the old man’s research, “Can I used this, My Lady?”

“Why, interested in absolute power?” she teased. 

“No, but it might extend my time with My Lad. Living to a hundred years old sounds enticing. When it is for the purpose of serving you.”

She ruffled my hair and took the book from me. At the time I thought she meant I wasn’t allowed to read it. But a year later, she returned the book, now completed in her own designs.

When I asked what was its name, My Lady looked into the distance, “I’ll name it the same as the old man’s to honor his creation. His name meant the First Fire and his fascination with the stars was never ending. So, I’ll name this, [Star Soul Origin].”

The Star symbolized the true form of the Cosmic Constructs and the old man’s name. Soul meant the true nature of these Stars that formed the Constellations. And the Origin meant the beginning of all.

It was a beautiful name. 

I practiced it diligently. Even managed to master how to cultivate whilst walking around. 

The Star Soul Origin had several steps to it. But now, I am mainly using it to increase my recovery. 

‘In about a few more days I’ll be able to move around properly. If Mom and Dad ask, I’ll just say the effects of the potions were miraculous.’

Well, that’s the first reason I was in the training grounds.

The second was to watch over Nina who was busily watching over the training of the young trainees with the other children.

The third was I have been instructing Bass every morning. 

“Like this, Brother?” he thrusted his pole and the force it generated created a gust of wind that attracted the attention of the other young boys.

“Widen your step in and keep your supporting arm an inch more.”

Bass did what I said and thrusted his spear once more.

FWU!

His eyes widened as he felt the pressure to be even stronger. His hair was even blown back as he and the other boys looked at what just happened in shock. Bass’ body was suddenly drenched in sweat as he fell to his knees.

“Are you okay, Bass?” I worriedly asked, “Nina, get Bass some water and towel.”

“Roger!” the watergirl left to fetch towels and water.

Bass grabbed my arm and then I saw stars twinkling within, “Brother! What was that!? That was awesome! How did you do that!?”

“Hehe, that was not my doing. That was the fruit of your hard work. I am just correcting your posture.” I said with the humblest of voice.

“Brothers, water!”

Nina arrived with the water and towel.

Step*

But, following Nina another one arrived, “Brother Talon.”

It was a boy, one of the four training in the way of the spear with Bass. He looked at my way with excited eyes, but failed to say what he wanted.

“Come on, tell him.”

“Yeah, you lost the rock-paper-scissors.”

The two behind him also pushed him to speak up.

“What is it?” We were going nowhere so I opted to ask the boy.

His cheeks reddened but he did his best to say it despite his embarrassment, “Can you teach me like Bass!?” 

I showed him my warmest smile as I nodded, “Sure. How about you two? Do you want to learn as well?”

“Yes!”

“Yes!” 

They answered quickly.

This was the fourth reason why I was in the Training Grounds.

I was trying to attract the little boys.

Wait, that sounds wrong.

Thanks for reading

3