VIII – The Deception and the Metamorphosis
1.6k 54 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warnings:

Spoiler

Fighting and deadly injuries.

[collapse]

“We’re here to rescue you, of course,” Robert said, stepping up to me and clapping a hand down on my shoulder. “And I’m really glad that you seem to be in one piece. Mostly,” he added, pointing at the large bandage that was still wrapped around my head – I’d had Kyros check the wound earlier that day, and while it wasn’t bleeding any more, it still hadn’t healed completely, so we’d thought it would be best if I kept it covered up for a few days still.

“Oh. Yeah,” I said, with a laugh. “Hit my head. I was lucky that was the worst of it, though.”

Robert laughed in return as he stepped back and nodded. “Yeah, I’d bet. Falling down a cliff, especially a cliff that high, is nothing to sneeze at. I’m actually surprised you got away with just a head wound, really.”

I blinked, and looked at him. “Hold on,” I said. “How do you know I fell down a cliff?”

My friend shrugged. “Thought it would be obvious.” He pointed at his son, who was standing respectfully, without speaking, a few metres away. “When Edmund found us and told us what happened with the dragon, we went back to where you fought it, and followed your horse’s tracks to the cliff. It was clear you went over the edge.” He took a deep breath. “I have prayed to the gods every day since then, asking them to keep you safe, my friend,” he said. “I guess they’ve listened to me.”

I nodded: yes, that explanation did make sense. I glanced around, smiling, and saw that a few other Knights were walking towards us – they’d apparently noticed us while coming back from their own patrols, which made sense. They were all wearing light leather armour and they had swords hanging from their belts, and some were carrying spears as long as they were tall, but they all seemed quite relaxed.

But still, I was getting the feeling I was missing something. It was a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind, telling me things didn’t quite add up; I couldn’t quite put my finger on what, exactly.

“Yes, the gods have listened to you, Robert,” I replied. “First they made me fall on top of Ness: she absorbed the brunt of the fall, and that’s how I survived.”

Robert nodded. “I’m sorry, Adrian. I know you cared for her.”

“She was a faithful companion, and I will miss her,” I said in acknowledgement. “And then, the gods sent Kyros, who helped me get out of the woods. I probably wouldn’t have made it, if it weren’t for him.”

I pointed to Kyros, who’d been standing a couple steps away, and Robert turned to him and looked at him up and down. “Kyros, huh.”

Kyros looked back at him, and nodded. “That’s my name, yes.” From his tone of voice, he seemed to be a bit annoyed, though I had no idea why he would be. “I’m–”

“Kyros is a poacher,” I quickly said.

“What? No I’m not,” he protested.

“Yes, you are,” I said. “I know you don’t like admitting it, especially not in front of authorities,” I motioned to Robert and the other Knights, who by then had assembled in a small group and were watching the unfolding scene, “but I gave you my word you would be safe.”

“Your word?” Kyros and Robert asked at the same time.

I nodded. “Yeah. Kyros was tracking some deer through the woods and he chanced upon me, unconscious, at the bottom of the cliff. He treated my wound, and helped me make my way here to Ziegental; in return, I promised him a full pardon for his… activities.”

I gave Kyros a significant glance: play along, you idiot. It took a couple seconds, but then he nodded. “Yeah. Yes. That’s what happened.”

“It was slow going, and it was dangerous,” I added. “I was lucky to have him by my side; wouldn’t have made it otherwise.”

Robert kept looking at Kyros for a while more, but then he nodded, and stepped towards him. “Well, Kyros, I thank you for saving the life of my brother-in-arms.” He extended his hand towards the humanoid dragon, who shook it after a moment’s hesitation.

“But yeah, I fully understand how you took so long to get here, making your way through the woods,” Robert continued, turning back to me. “Looking at the map of the Reach, we figured out pretty quickly this is where you’d be going: it was the only thing that made sense. It only took us a few days on horseback to get here, following the roads, taking the long way around, and we were still sure we’d get here before you. We sent a few scouting parties into the woods, to see if we could intercept you.” He frowned. “One didn’t come back.”

I blinked, and looked at him in surprise. “Who didn’t come back?”

“Ronan and Rhys,” he said. “They were the first ones to go out, too. Something must’ve happened to them.”

I gulped. Ronan. “Yeah, I think I know what happened to them. Outlaws,” I said.

“Outlaws?” Robert asked.

I nodded gravely. “Kyros and I ran across some outlaws in the forest,” I explained. “One of them had an ochaidei, and he told me he’d taken it off someone who was passing through their territory. After killing him.”

Robert grimaced. “Yeah, that must’ve been Ronan,” he said. “What happened to the bandits?”

“Dead,” I said. “They tried to rob us, and we killed them.”

“You should’ve seen it, it was awesome,” Kyros interjected. “Adrian took care of most of them on his own, too. It’s incredible how skilled he is with a sword.”

“Yeah, I know that from experience,” Robert replied. “Never could beat him in a duel.”

“You were close several times, though,” I said.

Robert laughed in response. “Come on now,” he said. “I bet you’re tired and hungry after your ordeal.” He wrinkled his nose. “Also, you’re definitely in need of a bath.”

I laughed, too. “Yeah, me and Kyros both,” I replied. “But can you blame us? We’ve been walking through the forest, while your lazy asses were waiting here for us for the past… How many days did the innkeeper say, Kyros?”

“Five days,” the dragon replied.

“Five days, yeah,” I said.

And I frowned, as things clicked into place in my mind.

“Hold on a second,” I asked. “How are you here, exactly?”

Robert looked at me, puzzled. “What do you mean? We determined that you went over the cliff, and Ziegental was the only logical place you would end up, so–”

“No, that part I get,” I said, cutting him off. “What I mean is, how did you get here so fast?

Robert blinked, seemingly taken aback. “Uh…”

“The fight against the dragon happened less than two weeks ago,” I continued. “It took me and Edmund more than that to make our way to the Reach from the capital. You said he rode back and told you what happened, but the timeline doesn’t add up. There was no way he could’ve made his way back to the capital, and then come back here, before Kyros and I made our way through the woods.” I stared at Robert. “How did you get here so fast, Robert?”

Robert avoided my stare: he seemed to be remarkably uncomfortable. “We… Um,” he said. “We weren’t at the capital, Adrian. We were in the village you passed through the day before you fought the dragon. All of us,” he said, motioning at the other Knights.

“Okay,” I said carefully. “And what were you doing there?”

“We were following you, of course. Staying one day behind, so you wouldn’t notice us.”

“…Why?” I asked. “Why would you do that? After all, the Emperor specifically said–”

“It was the Emperor who ordered us to do this, Adrian,” Robert said.

I looked at him, stunned. “What?

Robert nodded. “The day you left, the Emperor assembled us once more. He told us to follow you from afar, and to come in and finish the job should you fail to slay the dragon. So that we would be sure the dragon wouldn’t escape.”

I shook my head. “But Edgar said that the prophecy…”

“The prophecy was a lie,” Robert said. “The Emperor told him to say that, so there would be justification for sending you out on your own.”

“Sending me out on my own to die, you mean,” I said.

Robert was still not meeting my eyes, but he nodded yet again. “I assume so.”

There was a long moment of silence, and then I sighed deeply. “It wasn’t your fault, Robert,” I said. “Orders are orders, and you were just following them.”

“I know,” he said; then he lowered his voice, and added, “doesn’t mean I like the orders, though.”

“Yeah,” I answered. “I understand.” Then, after a moment’s pause, I added, “You said something about a bath?”

Robert looked up at me and smiled. “Yes, of course. Let’s go back to the inn, and we’ll–”

“Just one moment before you go,” a new voice said; I turned towards the group of Knights, and saw Duncan, the Boar Knight, stepping forward.

“Yes, old man? What is it?” Robert said.

Duncan frowned. “You’re forgetting another thing the Emperor told us, Robert,” he said. “Remember what he said about what dragons can do? How we had to be careful, because they can change shape, and look human? Or almost human, except for a few small details?”

Robert frowned in turn. “I do remember that,” he answered. “But you’re not seriously suggesting Adrian…”

He let the question hang in the air; Duncan shook his head, and turned to look at Kyros.

“Would you mind removing your headdress, sir?” he asked.

“My headdress?” Kyros asked in return. “Why?”

“Oh, just so that we can be sure,” Duncan answered. “I would like to take a look at your ears.”

I gulped. “Now, Duncan, there’s no need for this,” I said. “I can assure you, Kyros is human. I’ve seen his ears plenty of times over these past few days, when he readjusted his turban, and they’re perfectly normal ears.”

“Are they?” Duncan said, turning towards me. “Then he’ll have no problem showing us those same ears.”

“I would, actually,” Kyros said. “It’s… a thing with my religion. Unmarried men should not show anyone the tip of their ears.”

Duncan turned back to him. “Curious. Where did you say you were from again, sir?”

“Oh, it’s a country to the far south. Near the ocean,” Kyros replied. “We have trees, and fish, and weirdly-shaped swords.”

“Huh. And what is that country called?”

Kyros glanced at me. “Venetia,” I said. “We’ve talked about it while we were walking through the woods.”

“Never heard of it,” Duncan said.

“You wouldn’t have,” I replied. “It’s far, far to the south.”

Duncan nodded. “I see,” he said. Then he unsheathed his sword.

“Whoa, wait, what?” Robert said. “Duncan? What is happening?”

Duncan ignored him. “You,” he said, pointing at Kyros with his free hand. “Off with your turban. Now.”

“Duncan, are you serious?” Robert said. “Do you really think Adrian wouldn’t have noticed–”

I didn’t let him finish; I punched him in the gut, making him bend over and taking him out of the upcoming fight, then unsheathed my own sword and stepped away from the Knights, towards Kyros.

“Sir Adrian! What…?” Edmund said, looking at me wide-eyed; I glanced at him, and then at Robert, doubled over on the ground.

“I’m sorry,” I said, taking another step towards Kyros; as I did so, the other Knights readied their weapons – they unsheathed their swords, and those who had spears pointed them towards me.

“I guess we’re fighting, aren’t we?” Kyros said, grasping the hilt of his sword. “Alright then!”

“Kyros, no!” I shouted. “Get behind me!”

He hesitated, and glanced at me. “But–”

“Get behind me, I said!” I said, stepping to the side and putting myself between him and my former comrades. “I’m sorry, but you have no chance against them.”

The Knights were now spreading out, carefully walking around us while keeping their distance, trying to surround us while staying out of the striking range of my sword: we’d trained together plenty of times, and back then I’d had no reason to keep any secrets from them, so they knew exactly what my reach was.

I stepped back, pushing Kyros with one of my arms while at the same time keeping my sword at the ready.

“When I give you the signal, when we start fighting, you just run away,” I muttered under my breath. “Run as fast and as far as you can, without looking back.”

What?

We kept stepping back as I kept speaking. “Get into the woods. Their horses can’t move easily in there, so they’ll be forced to go on foot. The border is thirty miles to the west. I know you can make it.”

“Adrian,” Kyros said, “they’ll kill you.”

I smiled bitterly, and nodded. “That they will. But I’m going to take one or two of them with me, at least. And I’ll buy some time for you.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him shake his head. “No. No, Adrian, I won’t leave you.”

“You have to,” I said. “Or else they’ll kill us both. And I don’t want you to die, Kyros.”

“I don’t want you to die either!”

I half-turned my head to look at him. “Now listen here!” I hissed. “You–”

That was a mistake.

Taking advantage of my momentary distraction one of the Knights stepped forward and thrust his spear directly towards my heart. I saw the blow coming, but it was too late – I managed to deflect it with my blade, but only by a fraction of an inch.

The tip of the spear pierced my chest right beside my heart.

A near-miss, but a near-miss that was good enough: while not an instant kill, that had been clearly a mortal blow. I coughed, spitting up phlegm mixed with blood.

“Adrian!” Kyros screamed.

I shook my head; my sword, which I’d kept at the ready, dropped down towards the ground, though I still kept a grip – a deathly grip, I realised – on the hilt. I fell to my knees.

The Knights stepped forward.

“No!” Kyros shouted, and he moved in front of me.

It took only a second for his clothes to rip and for his body to unfold to his full and magnificent dragon form: Kyros planted his four paws on the ground and roared. It was incredible, it was as if the whole world was shaking. “Get away!” he bellowed. “Get away from him!”

He inhaled deeply, and breathed a stream of flame, moving his head from side to side; the Knights quickly stepped back, raising their arms to shield their faces from the fire.

“Adrian!” Kyros rumbled, from deep in his throat, wheeling around and looking at me as I slipped down to the ground. “Adrian!”

I weakly reached upwards, and put a hand on the dragon’s jaw; weirdly, I found myself smiling. I mumbled something, I’m not sure what, but it may have been Kyros’ name.

“Hold on, Adrian,” he said. He grabbed me with his huge front paws, clamping them around my body.

And then he spread his wings and took flight.

I looked down, barely getting a glimpse of the Knights looking up at us, wide-eyed, and then it all became a blur: green, brown, blue… I closed my eyes, feeling myself slipping out of consciousness, barely managing to keep hold of reality as a fog started to creep at the edges of my mind.

I barely felt it when Kyros laid me on the ground, and distantly, so distantly, heard him shout, “Adrian! Adrian, hold on!”

Then motion, over my body: I barely felt the touch as my shirt was ripped open, and someone started rubbing some sort of liquid all over my chest. It was becoming hard to stay awake.

“It’s not fast enough,” I heard someone mutter. Then there was a muffled cry of pain, and something – something warm; something wet – was pressed to my lips. “Drink. Drink, Adrian. Please, I beg you. Drink.”

I drank. Reflexively, I drank deep of the liquid I was offered, gulping it down, coughing a bit as some of it dripped along the wrong pipe, and then drank again. I drank, and drank, until I couldn’t stay awake any more, and I let darkness take me.

-----

My eyes shot open, and I found myself staring upwards at a cerulean sky, barely dotted with fading stars as the first rays of the morning sun coloured the treetops; the moon was just visible, washed out and already vanishing, swept away by the dawn’s light.

I turned my head to one side and saw I was lying on my back in what seemed to be a small clearing.

Weirdly, I found myself thinking back to my theology lessons, which I’d never really paid attention to: was this hell? Did any of the seven hells have trees in it?

My brain finally caught up, and was awake enough to realise the truth. No, you idiot, this isn’t hell. You’re alive.

But how could I be alive? I’d been stabbed. I’d been killed. I was sure I’d been given a mortal wound, and those don’t heal. They can’t heal.

Unless…

Still lying motionless, I turned my head to the other side: Kyros was sleeping beside the remains of a small campfire. He was in human form, and he was frowning in his sleep; a large bandage adorned one of his wrists, and I could see dried blood on it.

I dimly recalled something, and reached upwards with my hand, touched my lips. My tongue moved inside my mouth; the taste was metallic.

I sighed deeply.

Once again, the dragon had saved my life.

Magic is really incredible, I thought as I moved my hand from my lips to my chest. A mortal wound, healed overnight; I traced my fingers on the smooth, hairless skin, searching around for–

I stopped.

Perplexed, I reached upwards with my other hand, felt my chest properly.

As quickly as I could, I pulled myself up to a seated position; hair – my hair? Since when did I have long hair? – fell down in my field of vision, but I still looked downwards at my body.

And I screamed.

Kyros mumbled something in his sleep, and started stirring.

I looked at him, then looked around the campsite: my belongings were scattered around, but my sword was beside me. I grabbed it, rose to my feet, and marched over to Kyros.

“Wake up!” I said; I was sorely tempted to kick him, but held myself back. “WAKE UP!” I shouted, as loud as I could.

Kyros opened his eyes and looked around blearily, blinking away the sleep, until he saw me standing there. “Adrian!” he exclaimed. “You’re – um.”

He looked up at me along the length of my sword, which I was pointing straight at his face: the tip of my blade was barely an inch from his nose.

“Um,” he repeated.

I was breathing heavily, trying to keep my voice steady. “Kyros,” I hissed out. “I have a question for you, and your answer had better be fucking convincing.

“Uh. Okay,” he said, and gulped. “What is the question?”

I licked my lips and stared down at him. I took a deep breath.

“Care to explain why I’m a woman now?”

Announcement
Well then. That just happened. Are you surprised? Show of hands, who's not surprised.

Thank you for reading! I hope you've enjoyed this chapter :D Do leave a comment, I always love reading them.

As your usual reminder, this story is complete and can be read in its entirety on my Patreon!

Also, here's social links: Twitter and Tumblr.

What does the future have in store for Adrian and Kyros? Well, you'll find out next time. Until then! Take care, y'all :)

101