Chapter 31 (Camp of Plants)
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Teddy and his client stood outside a two-storied hut.

Monteguem studied the yellowish-green walls with intrigue before nodding, apparently this was the place. Teddy retrieved the accord from his suitcase and prepared to enter the dwelling to kick whatever sorry ‘sons of a bitch’ called this place home, fully expecting to do his employer’s dirty work. Just because the mayor didn’t send a patrol didn’t mean Monteguem had no means.

However, before he could enter, Monteguem rapped his knuckle on the open entryway, the entryway having been chiseled open earlier that morning like all the others. Although, his knocking made no sound against the durable plant.

“Pardon the intrusion,” Monteguem said in a tone neither threateningly loud nor submissively quiet. “I request to speak to the owner.”

A hulking adventurer type peeked out from a bedroom upstairs, noticing his guest, he lumbered down the ramp with one hand behind his back, likely on a dagger. Monteguem took no notice.

“I would like to offer recompense in exchange for renting your home,” Monteguem explained.

At his employer’s offer to the man, Teddy’s jaw nearly dropped. Not only did Monteguem have an official accord granting him permission to kick the adventurer out without recompense, but he also handled the business himself, leaving Teddy behind to only look on. Heck, from his position, it would even be difficult for Teddy to act as a meat shield should the man decide to unsheath his dagger.

The adventurer licked his lips, eyeing Monteguem’s suit. Teddy made sure to step into the man’s line of sight, materializing his suitcase and pretending to reach inside for a concealed weapon of his own. Mustering his meanest face, he stared the man down over Monteguem’s shoulder.

“You wanna kick me out?” the adventurer asked.

“Temporarily,” Monte said. “I am here on temporary business and require lodgings during that time.”

Monteguem gestured for Teddy to come closer and bring his suitcase with him. Reaching inside the opened suitcase, Monteguem pretended to fish out a handful of silver sickle bits. However, Teddy was granted a full view of his employer’s ruse. Monteguem already had the coins in his hand and only pretended to retrieve them from his porter’s suitcase.

With a wave, the tailored gentleman motioned for Teddy to recall his suitcase, as it vanished, so did Monteguem’s pretend wallet.

The adventurer eased his hand from behind his back and grabbed the offered coin, counting them carefully. “Ten more and you got your agreement.”

Monteguem countered, “How about I do one better and double the previous amount? The only extra condition would be to keep our dealings a secret.”

The man easily agreed; though, him keeping the latter half was unlikely.

Going through the ruse all over again, Monteguem offered the adventurer another stack of coins, this time with his other hand. It seemed Monteguem arrived with both fists full of coin; anticipating the counter-offer.

Whether it was luck, careful scheming, or both; it no longer mattered. The adventurer gathered his scant belonging into a sack and left with a half-hearted salute. Whether he’d be back to rob the place was another concern entirely.

Before his employer could wander inside, Teddy grabbed his sleeve, pulling him away. Negotiations were one thing, but his honor be dammed if he’d let his boss get knifed by a lingering resident. Entering first, Teddy surveyed the scene.

Neon glow lit the windowless hut. Basic clay furniture, a meager kitchen, and a crude well for gathering clay and drinking water from the slurry underground made up the entirety of the ground floor. Seeing no threats, Teddy ascended the ramp leading to the upstairs balcony.

Only a single bedroom was up here, two simple clay beds pushed against the wall and no window. Other than the breathing walls, it truly was empty. Perhaps one does meet an honorable adventurer every now and again, as unlikely as it seemed?

Monteguem had entered, not waiting for Teddy to give the ‘all clear’. Without even glancing around the room for himself, Monteguem headed straight for the well in the corner, trying to figure out how to draw water for himself.

Teddy walked downstairs and hovered over his shoulder. The well wasn’t deep, perhaps half an arm's length, and the sediment was already crusted over, the exposed mud having dried quickly.

“There’s a trick to it.” Teddy said. “Each time you want a draw, you gotta chip through the dried shell. The mud don’t stay wet long when the air hits it. Break through that hard outer shell and dig you a little trench down in the bottom. That trench will fill up with a puddle of water all on its own.”

Monteguem tilted his head, looking Teddy up and down. “And how does one bathe?”

“With a rag.” Teddy relied.

The tailored gentlemen flinch at this. “And for sustenance, you eat this plant?”

“That’s poor-food but do what you gotta do, eh?” Teddy said. “With coin, the markets are open. Street vendors downtown sell all sorts of meat hunted down in the wilds.”

“Yes, I had heard about the market in my research.” Monteguem said. “They sell clothing there, yes?”

Teddy nodded and looked over the gentleman’s finely tailored suit. “Nothing fancy, though.”

Monteguem pulled out his real wallet and fished a handful of copper and silver sickle bits from the purse. Without looking away from the well, he outstretched the coin to Teddy. “I require five complete garments. Four male and one female. For the sizes, I have the measurements wrote down.”

Not believing anyone could be so naive, Teddy couldn’t bring himself to grab the coin. Seemed he was in the same situation as the adventurer from earlier.

“You know it?” Teddy asked. “It’d be right easy to stab you in the back and leave your corpse to the plant. No evidence, I get a fat stack of coin, and a fancy hut all to myself, none the wiser.”

The gentleman didn’t even flinch. “Indeed but you have made your appearance known to the mayor.”

Teddy scoffed. “You think he’d go looking for you? Sounded to me, he wasn’t real thrilled with that identification you’re so keen on waving around. I might even find a way outa this mire pit of a desert with identification like that.”

This time, Monteguem turned to face Teddy, his face completely serious.

“I’ve studied all the curiosities of this settlement,” the gentleman said. “Many are easily explainable despite their mysterious nature. However, you—”

He pointed to Teddy.

“—you are the biggest enigma here. Imagine my surprise to find a black-listed porter among the residents of this desert. The circumstances being what they are; I do believe we share a common goal. Rather you wait for an assassin or claim assistance when it’s offered?”

Teddy was taken aback. Just how much research had Monteguem done to find him, a needle in a haystack, among all the residents of the desert. Perhaps…perhaps it wasn’t that Monteguem stumbled upon him, but that he came looking for the needle?

“Why are you here?” Teddy asked.

Monteguem shook his head. “Distinguished Theodore, formerly of the Pargols, I have great faith in your reputation for caution and honor. Currently, there is no contract between us. Bring me five garments of varying sizes, a quill, and leafed paper; and we will discuss everything once an official contract is signed.”

The gentleman rose and bowed slightly to Teddy, nearly giving Teddy a heart attack. An aristocrat just bowed to a bum?

“My fiance will be here soon,” the gentelman explained. “She will draft our agreement. As it stands, I have my research to attend to. Please occupy yourself in the meantime as I will be indisposed for the unforeseeable future.”

He added. “I request that seal the door to my quarters upstairs this evening and do not bother me while I am inside. Unfortunately, circumstances disallow me from sharing my quarters upstairs with you, but I assume you can make yourself comfortable down here?”

If the previous gesture nearly gave Teddy a heart attack, this one would surely do him in. I get…I get to live here? Indoors? He’s trusting me to stay here?

Before going upstairs, Monteguem reiterated, “as I said. Please seal my bedroom door tonight and leave the seal untouched until I say otherwise. Until my fiance arrives, you are free to do as you like, simply make sure to seal the main entryway each night as well. Those are all the duties I have for you currently. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I am quite tired from travel and have much research to dissect. For our rent, I will provide the necessary coin to you in advance. Do make sure to pay our landlord daily until my fiance arrives in my stead. ”

Teddy nearly fainted. Hope, just a little bit but meeting this gentleman had given him a faint sliver of hope. Perhaps he wouldn’t be stuck in this town until he met a ‘convenient accident’ at old man Pargol’s instruction?

It amazed him just how fast he could go from destitute to hopeful. Maybe, this was what he’d been yearning for? An escape from his miserable life here in whatever form it came in.

Immediately, he set to work sealing the gentleman into his bedroom. After the bedroom door was cemented shut with Monteguem inside; he took his time sealing the main entryway downstairs. By the time he’d finished, neon lit the streets and the cold mist wafted indoors. Their hut was open much later than the others, but Teddy’s pace was unhurried. He knew he’d be safe and warm inside, and there was no reason to rush.

He cut his dinner from the wall and nibbled away.

Surely I am clinging to fool’s hope…but that’s good enough. When the true assassin arrives, I can know that I died living my last days in comfort.

0