Chapter 37 (Camp of Plants)
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What a wonderful little town!

Eta always longed to be able to walk, to explore the world again, but she never thought she’d get the chance. Somehow or other, she grew a tail, got young, and was transported to a mysterious world. The answers to those questions, she didn't care about. Actually, the answers to most questions, she didn't care about.

Parts of this new world were unsavory, but Eta focused on the dye, for her new world was dyed a brilliant shade of red through and through. As she traveled down the maze of streets and bustles of daily life in this settlement of plants, the stars, those thin yellow streaks floating in the air, whisked around as if blown by the wind.

Compared to the boss’s cave, this town was bursting with those floating stars. So many more of them congregated here, especially around the homes themselves.

Somehow or other, her dear companion Scrub-bucket—or was it Loogman he went by now?—explained the homes were actually a giant plant, a living breathing plant! Now, Eta didn’t know anything about that, but what she saw was marvelous.

Countless people shuffled past her, and she was sure they all thought her a tourist. The stares she received…

Eta held her new friend tighter against her chest. He was bound so tight in hide swaddlings, she wondered how he could breathe in those rags, but the poor boy needed a bath, and bundling him up was the only way to convince Scrub-bucket to take him along.

Her new friend needed her and Eta wasn’t about to abandon him. He had friends he’d told her about when they'd first met, after she rescued him from that awful game of ‘tag’. And Eta was determined to return him to his friends, consequences be dammed! He may be a spy who tried to hurt the boss, but after that tragic mishap that befell the other one, Eta couldn’t bear to see that same misfortune fall to this poor boy as well.

Wrapped tight around her waist was a tail. Scrub-bucket convinced her to keep it out of sight, so she wrapped it under a loose tunic she wore over her clothes of hide. That boss, as atrocious as he was at cross-stitch, Eta could only marvel watching him work his sewing machine.

She didn’t know much about art, but she was positive the boss working his old treadle sewing machine was the height of it.

When they weren’t playing Canasta, Eta stood over his shoulder and watched his creations come to life, quite literally in fact. How the boss managed that, she didn’t know and didn't care to ask, but it was a wonder to behold.

Maybe he’d sew me up a little pet someday? A shoulder angel, perhaps?

As they traveled through town, the stares Eta received unnerved her, but Scrub-bucket diligently led her along. It must have been that broken leg he received after sawing through the roof so long ago, but it appears he’d actually lost the lower half of his leg to that accident. He limped along on a yellowish prosthetic.

Oh, and also, he had a new body, but Eta didn’t think too much about that. His quirks were none of her concern. If he wanted a new body, so be it.

As to how her own new look came about, she hadn’t a clue either nor cared to understand. The fact was, it just was. And that was all there was to that.

A shrill whistle caught her attention, the same kind of whistle the boss blew to Domagon when that lumbering oaf misbehaved. Except, the whistle she heard now was directed at someone.

“Hey off-white and gorgeous!”

Oh boy! There must be a real beauty roaming these streets. Eta looked around, but couldn’t find her. Too bad…women have their own charms, and I do miss Susan and Penny. I wonder where they went?

“Ouch, you little brat! What's wrong with you?”

Eta gasp. Scrub-bucket was smacking a man with his walking cane. It would have been funny to see a young boy smack an older man with a walking cane normally, except, Scrub-bucket had a tendency to take his pranks too far.

“Scrub-bucket! Get over, now!” Eta chided.

“It’s Loogman! Not coming ‘til you call me Loogman!” He yelled between smackings.

That poor older man was cowering down, shielding himself with his arms, and Scrub-bucket was still smacking him around without mercy.

For the young boy in her arms, Eta covered his ears and prepared a very stern lecture about the treatment of others.

“Scrub-bucket! That is not a funny prank. You leave that poor man alone and get over here this instant, or…or be done with you!” Eta scolded.

She regretted using their companionship as a bargaining chip; she didn’t feel it was so cheap as to be worth less than a cowering old man, but it was the only shred of power she held over him and was determined to use it to the fullest.

That smacking stopped, but Scrub-bucket kicked the poor man while he was down before wagging his finger in that man’s face. “Don’t ever be making noises at my Eta again. Or I’ll--I’ll hang you from the well, you rude person. Mister Jenkens would love you for all eternity. You can go poke that cunt, not my Eta!”

Satisfied, he hopped over to Eta. She flicked him on the head and he stumbled forward, barely keeping his balance.

“You leave poor old men alone,” Eta scolded. “Old people have needs, too. Don’t be a jerk.”

Scrub-bucket winced, but he nodded in agreement just the same.

Eta smiled and Scrub-bucket continued on.

She gave the boy in her arms a peck on the forehead and cooed, “don’t you ever give into a mean-streak like that other boy up there. I’ll tan your hide, young man.”

And those two continued on down the narrow street. Fortunately, Scrub-bucket took her scolding to heart and merely waved his cane at the good-hearted lechers ogling beauties in the crowd. Eta knew there was nothing wrong with ogling beauties; it was just unfortunate she’d missed seeing them for herself.

Maybe this ‘mayor’ is a beauty? Men of power…Mmmm

We’ll see when we get there, I suppose.

0