Episode 16 – Your enemy is also Empire’s enemy
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regina opened the envelope and unfolded the letter. The large piece of paper had one sentence- "Your order is ready."

It was a secret way of communicating the requested information. 

Lombardi's name represents an exclusive boutique for the world. Few knew about the secret of Lombardi. Lombardi was an information guild. It was called Zoro. Highly capable of gathering information about any noble family, the royal family, or even the royal family of neighboring Kingdoms. After the death of her husband, Lily Lombardi continued the legacy of her deceased husband. She played the cards on her terms. Ever since Lily was young, Lily wanted to enter high society to expand her boutique business. When she acquired the rights to the information guild, she approached the Queen bee of high society, Lady Mariana Maybern. Lily offered Lady Maybern a miraculous deal, something she couldn't refuse - Madam Lombardi's successful debut into high society in exchange for Lombardi information guild exclusive rights. Lily surrendered the information guild at Mariana's disposal.

A year ago, Regina decided to find out the people behind her family's demise and approached Mariana for help. Being childhood and the closest friend of Regina, Mariana used every possible means she had to start the investigation and introduced Madam Lombardi to Regina.

Regina has been in touch with Madam Lombardi for a year. They exchanged letters and met a few times. 

Letters sent from Zoro were always mysterious. The letter contained one sentence at the center of the paper- YOUR ORDER IS READY and had the Lombardi stamp.

The upper and lower part of the paper would be empty. It will appear blank. At least to people who don't know the secret. The secret was the silver ink. Words written using silver ink can only be visible on warm paper.

Regina lit the candle on the table and brought the letter near the glimmering flame. As the paper became warmer, the hidden words started to appear, filling the blank spaces on the page.

Regina's expression remained calm as she read the hidden contents of the letter.

"Mariana has gotten closer to the truth. She sent Mr. August to you with proof."

"Oh! Thank goodness! She is safe." Regina thought.

"Mr. August is a competent and strong swordsman. It was right of you to choose him, Mariana."

Regina's eyebrows raised when she read the contents of the lower section of the letter.

"Your enemy is also Empire's enemy."

"What does she mean by this? Being Empire's enemy, does that mean someone is planning rebellion?"

If that's the case, the kingdom is in danger! 

Regina set the letter on fire and threw it on the dry unburnt wood in the fireplace. Soon the piece of paper turned into ashes. Regina stood by the fireplace with her hands folded and watched the letter burn till the end.

"Stella!" Regina said in a high voice.

Stella came rushing and barged into the room. 

"Yes, madam." She was panting.

"Prepare the carriage for me. I am visiting the town today." Regina said.

"I have questions that Madam Lombardi needs to answer immediately!" Regina's eyes filled with vigor, burning in determination.

Stella didn't waste time. In fifteen minutes, the carriage was ready. As Regina was about to hop on the carriage, she was interrupted by Sir Mathews and Sir Philip. 

They are Evermount's most capable knights. 

"We were ordered to protect my lady. Please don't mind us following you." Sir Philip said.

Regina paused to see their faces. Their expression was rigid. They didn't seem to back off.

"The two of you?" Regina said.

"Yes, Sir Mathews and I were personally appointed by the Duke to protect the Lady." Sir Philip said.

Isn't he being overprotective? Not one but two knights!

Regina blushed. She felt secure yet uncomfortable.

"Alright, stay ten steps away from me when we reach the market. I don't want to attract unnecessary attention from the commoners." Regina said.

"Yes!" Both replied in high-pitched voices.

The carriage for the Duchess and two horses following the carriage left the Evermount Estate.

***

A room of darkness and despair, which was dimly lit, was under the surface of a vast forest where no man walks. The scary dungeon used as a torture room had thick walls to make it soundproof. A person could scream until his life could run out, but the screams would echo in the room and never escape those thick walls.

The Evermount Duchy owned the abandoned forest. People of the North called it the cursed forest. No one could return alive. The Duke never cared about the rumors, as those rumors kept the hidden dungeon secret from becoming known to people, where he tortured the criminals.

A man tied to a metal chair at the center of the torture room was bleeding. The swollen face and blood dripping from his forehead were evidence of the cruel torture. The arms tied to the hands of the metal chair were tight. He couldn't feel his fingers. His fingers were numb from the restricted blood flow.

The mad sat on the chair like a lifeless form, with shut eyes and his head dropped, facing down. He was tired. He was exhausted after being beaten and tortured for an hour. He lost the strength to scream in pain when the jailer punched him for the hundredth time. The man just exhaled heavily and groaned in pain. 

"Enough," Alexandro said. 

The jailer stopped the punch he threw in the air.

"Bring me the pliers," Alexandro said.

The jailer handed him the pliers.

Alexandro dragged his chair and placed it near the man. Facing him close, Alexandro bent over towards the man, intimidating him.

"You think this is the end, then you are wrong. Those punches are just the beginning. So why don't you open your mouth and make it easy for us."

"Ne... ver... huh" The man exhaled a feeble sound.

Alexandro was annoyed. Hours of torture couldn't break the man. He was the most strong-willed man of all the men Alexandro dealt with.

Alexandro grabbed the man's index finger of his right hand and placed it between the plier's jaws, tightening the grip.

The man flinched.

"Mr. August. Are you? Why don't you tell me? Who sent you to my wife with those documents?" Alexandro said.

Alexandro increased the pressure on the pliers. The nail cracked and started to penetrate Mr. August's skin.

"Aaaaa!" Mr. August screamed in extreme pain.

1