Episode 21 – A beautiful family fell to the dust
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bunch of tattooed men can't take away the peace Regina worked hard to keep in the Northern Lands. How dare they!

She was determined to find the young girl. What about others? She must not be the only one they would have kidnapped. How barbaric! Not on her watch!

Holding the shoulders of the boy, Regina leaned down close to his face.

"Listen, Tom, do you see that carriage with the winter wolf's crest?"

She pointed at the carriage she rode to the Capital City of North.

"That dazzling carriage. Yes, I see it."

"Good boy. Go there and wait for me inside the carriage. I will bring your sister to you."

The boy didn't move, still as a stone. Regina expected him to run to the carriage where he could be safe. 

"No." The boy said.

Regina stood up. She became nervous when the boy denied it.

Tom looked up at Regina. His eyes were burning with flames of revenge. Holding his fists tight, he said.

"I want to go with you."

The boy wanted to save his sister.

Regina wasn't sure how dangerous it would be, but anyone could tell it wouldn't be wise to bring a child to the mission. 

Regina was running out of time. She had to move fast to track the Scorpion gang.

"Alright. Only if you promise to listen to me." Regina said.

In a commanding tone, she continued.

"If I say run, you must run without looking back. Do you understand?" Regina said.

She turned around and looked at Sir Philip. He was standing at ease. A proud knight. Hands at the back, puffed chest, and straight back. 

"You need to make sure no harm comes to the child. You shall protect the child no matter the cost."

In attention position, he said.

"Yes!"

The investigation always begins at the crime scene. The kidnapping happened at Vailem Street. The culprits must be nearby to find another target. 

Regina decided to start her investigation at Tom's home.

Tom stood close to Regina, holding her hand. They walked towards a beautiful horse. The horse had silky brown hair, smooth to the touch yet powerful, well-trained, and well-maintained. Regina was delighted. There was no doubt the horse belonged to Sir Philip.

She brushed the back of the horse. She helped Tom to jump on the horse. She jumped on the horse immediately after. She sat behind Tom. Both looked comfortable and ready to go.

Giddy up! Regina pressed the stirrup.

"My Lady! Please wait!"

Sir Philip blocked their way.

"Can I borrow your horse? It's been a while since I rode Cinnamon." 

Regina smiled. She couldn't conceal her excitement.

"Please find a speedy horse and meet me at Vailem Street," Regina said.

"This could be dangerous, My Lady."

Sir Philip wasn't ready to move aside. He was worried.

"Pass me your sword," Regina said.

He stared at Regina. He was hesitant.

"Sir Philip. You must learn to have faith in your apprentice."

Sir Philip signed. He couldn't argue further and handed over the sword with the strap.

"Please be careful. The culprits might still be at the location." He said.

Regina put the strap around her shoulder and laughed.

"Criminals never visit the crime scene unless afraid of leaving behind evidence. Chances are they already left the area to find another target." She said.

The horse stepped forward. Sir Philip gave in and stepped aside.

"Hold tight, Tom," Regina said.

She rode at full speed. In seconds, their blurry figure vanished at the turn.

***

Abandoned hellacious streets, dusty roads, and unwelcoming stares of the elderly passing by, it was like a different world. They reached Vailem Street in a few minutes. The horse walked at a slow pace. Regina looked around the place. It looked familiar. She visited the area on multiple occasions for charity organized by the House of Dorve. She worried about being recognized by the residents, so she covered her face with her silk scarf.

People on the streets were mostly elderly. People seemed to be busy with their chores. Some looked homeless. Some didn't care about Regina.  

Regina kept moving forward. They reached the colony where the boy lived. The houses looked spooky, broken, and in need of rebuilding. The area used to be the residence of low-rank Army Officers. The ongoing war destroyed those families. 

Tom was enjoying the ride.

"We are about to reach, rich lady."

It seemed he was having fun.

"Why do you call me 'rich lady'?" Regina said.

"I will tell you when we reach my home."

Tom giggled. He opened the wrapper and tossed the candy, landing in his mouth. Sweet and tasty, it brought a smile to his face.

"Stop!"

The horse stopped moving.

Regina jumped from the horse and helped Tom get down.

"There you go."

She made sure he was alright and patted his head. He was smiling, contrary to the loud cries a while back.

The house they stood in front of looked decent in shape. The tall iron gate, well-sized front lawn, and unique construction had a pleasant vibe. It looked like a General's residence. It was confirmed when Regina saw the nameplate. The nameplate on the wall reads the name, General K. Xavier.

The boy confidently slammed the iron gate open and walked in.

"Rich lady, come inside. Welcome to my home."

He bowed and welcomed Regina like a young boy from an affluent family. His manners were appreciable and compelled her to ask.

"Who taught you how to greet a guest?"

Tom looked up and said.

"My father."

"Your father, you mean General Xavier?"

"Yes."

Regina heard about General Xavier. He died on the battlefield eight months ago. General Kelvin Xavier was a brave man who led multiple missions on the frontline and returned victorious. He failed on his last mission. He died with his troop. They were ambushed and lost their lives in the crossfire.

Tom pulled Regina's hand and came inside the house.

The house was dusty. She sneezed. The broken furniture and the things lying on the ground indicated signs of struggle. As the boy mentioned before, the culprits barged into the house. His sister must have struggled to save herself. 

Regina walked into the house. In the drawing hall, she saw pieces of glass, a broken vase, a pocket watch, and a broken photo frame lying on the ground.

She bumped into the unpressed carpet and kicked the pocket watch to the corner of the drawing hall. She managed to balance and didn't fall. 

She signed in relief.

She picked up the broken photo frame and looked at the photo. It was a beautiful portrait of a happy family. General Xavier stood between his wife and daughter, his right hand on Tom's shoulder, who stood before him. Regina's heart sank when she looked at the picture-perfect family portrait. 

A beautiful family fell to the dust. Regina stood there saddened.

"Rich lady, come here!"

Tom shouted from another room.

Regina came to her senses and turned around.

"Tom." She said.

Tom peeked from the half-opened door. 

"Over here."

Regina giggled and rushed towards the room. The bedroom was well-kept. It looked clean and occupied. The siblings must be using the bedroom to sleep.

"See this, rich lady."

Tom handed over a thick file to Regina.

Regina opened it. The file was full of cuts of newspaper articles and her portraits. She looked closely. They were articles about Duchess Dorve. Every column about her in every newspaper was part of the collection. Her achievements as the Princess of Northern Lands, news about the charities she did, articles published about the Happy Foundation for orphans that she runs, everything was part of that file. Additionally, there was a handwritten note.

"I wish I could meet her once."

Regina held the note in her hand.

"It's my sister's. She loves you. She wants to be like you."

Tom said. He lay on the bed on his stomach and spread the articles on the bed.

"See this. This one is my favorite."

Tom showed Regina a portrait cut out from a newspaper. It was the portrait of her with the Duke. She looked elegant and a beautiful young lady in her wedding dress. It was published five years ago when she married Alexandro. 

She felt nostalgic. Maybe she found the same portrait as her favorite too.

*clatter* *clatter*

Regina heard some noise from the drawing hall at the entrance where the things were scattered.

"Damn it! Where did it go?"

She heard a man's hoarse voice.

2